NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've only played the original and I thought it was great. I played through it again on the Vita a year or two back and it still holds up. 

Yeh.. I think I remember you commenting when I beat the first Spyro a couple of years ago. Like you, it's the only one I've played but it's a very pleasant game, @Happenstance:smile:

I wouldn't mind playing the other games in the original trilogy but I'd be torn between getting the PS1 versions or the remasters. I'm all for bringing old games into the modern era but there's something about the more primitive 3D graphics of the time that adds a little something extra!

I need to get a new HDMI splitter I think. My PS3 keeps cutting out while I'm playing Tony Hawk 2 and its driving me nuts.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I need to get a new HDMI splitter I think. My PS3 keeps cutting out while I'm playing Tony Hawk 2 and its driving me nuts.

You sticking with Tony Hawks 2 or are you just checking to see if your games work?

When me and the lad were discussing THPS3 yesterday we ended up on Metacritic to see how it reviewed back in the day. To our surprise we found that THPS3 was joint top with GTA3 as the highest rated game on the PS2. We then dug a little deeper and found the THPS2 was the highest rated game on the PSOne. Man, that series fell hard.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You sticking with Tony Hawks 2 or are you just checking to see if your games work?

When me and the lad were discussing THPS3 yesterday we ended up on Metacritic to see how it reviewed back in the day. To our surprise we found that THPS3 was joint top with GTA3 as the highest rated game on the PS2. We then dug a little deeper and found the THPS2 was the highest rated game on the PSOne. Man, that series fell hard.

Yeah I'm sticking with Tony Hawk 2. It was always my favourite from the series so I'm enjoying going through it again.

For a longer game I'm planning on playing Grandia properly next but I don't want to start it until I get this cutting out problem sorted.

Well X-files, Wing Commander IV and Incredible Crisis just arrived so that just leaves Croc now.

Looming forwarded to playing through these. I love dumb FMV games.

33 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Well X-files, Wing Commander IV and Incredible Crisis just arrived so that just leaves Croc now.

Looming forwarded to playing through these. I love dumb FMV games.

Incredible Crisis is a hilarious game. I have fond memories of that.

Got in from work late last night but fancied sneaking in a quick game before bed. With the Gamecube still hooked up from playing Winning Eleven yesterday, I decided to throw on Burnout 2: Point of Impact :hehe:

Ive fancied playing it again for a while and the two races I had felt great :grin: I'll probably return to it properly soon, along with a few other Gamecube titles, but I'll be playing them on my Wii through component on a bigger screen. To be honest, a 14" CRT is difficult to go back to! It'll more than do the job for the scope and lightgun games.. and Winning Eleven!

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

For a longer game I'm planning on playing Grandia properly next but I don't want to start it until I get this cutting out problem sorted.

Tendak do some very good HDMI Splitters... I have one which carries HDMI signals to two different monitors and for one which has lots of ports for displaying many sources on the same display, I would advise picking this one up...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0734SYLJL/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I haven't tried it out myself yet properly but it is a solid build quality, powered, comes with a small remote (optional as it has switches) and it just seems to be good all round, if you need more ports you could always run two together as well.

I bought a Framemeister recently along with a load of those PackaPunch RGB cables for most of my consoles, so I'm intending on hooking up that splitter, the Framemeister and an RGB scart box at some point soon, so I'll let you all know how I get on.

I also ordered an RGB modded N64 recently, so there's that to add into the mix as well, but in theory once it's all running through my AV system and capture device... I should be pretty well set up, I hope. :D

It certainly is daunting though... I might do my own guide as I set it up, I may need to just so that I can figure it all out as I go along. :p

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

Got in from work late last night but fancied sneaking in a quick game before bed. With the Gamecube still hooked up from playing Winning Eleven yesterday, I decided to throw on Burnout 2: Point of Impact :hehe:

Ive fancied playing it again for a while and the two races I had felt great :grin: I'll probably return to it properly soon, along with a few other Gamecube titles, but I'll be playing them on my Wii through component on a bigger screen. To be honest, a 14" CRT is difficult to go back to! It'll more than do the job for the scope and lightgun games.. and Winning Eleven!

I was playing on my Gamecube about a month back now. I had a quick go on Rogue Squadron II ( done a few missions ) and then fired up Billy Hatcher and played a couple of stages of that. 

What a stupidly catchy song. :D 

• Haha 1

Just now, S.C.G said:

I bought a Framemeister recently along with a load of those PackaPunch RGB cables for most of my consoles, so I'm intending on hooking up that splitter, the Framemeister and an RGB scart box at some point soon, so I'll let you all know how I get on.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose a Framemeister over an OSSC? From what i've read those seem to be better and a hell of a lot cheaper.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was playing on my Gamecube about a month back now. I had a quick go on Rogue Squadron II ( done a few missions ) and then fired up Billy Hatcher and played a couple of stages of that. 

What a stupidly catchy song. :D 

"La-la lala la-la la lalala la-la lalala!"

"G-I-A-N-T  E-G-G!"

*Chicken noise*

:grin:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Tendak do some very good HDMI Splitters... I have one which carries HDMI signals to two different monitors and for one which has lots of ports for displaying many sources on the same display, I would advise picking this one up...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0734SYLJL/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I haven't tried it out myself yet properly but it is a solid build quality, powered, comes with a small remote (optional as it has switches) and it just seems to be good all round, if you need more ports you could always run two together as well.

I also ordered an RGB modded N64 recently, so there's that to add into the mix as well, but in theory once it's all running through my AV system and capture device... I should be pretty well set up, I hope. :D

It certainly is daunting though... I might do my own guide as I set it up, I may need to just so that I can figure it all out as I go along. :p

Thanks. It looks like I’ve managed to stop the cutting out issue just by switching out the hdmi cable but I think I’ll look into that splitter you linked to anyway. I’ve got so many hdmi devices now that I could use a good quality one.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Out of curiosity, why did you choose a Framemeister over an OSSC? From what i've read those seem to be better and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Yeah, I did consider an OSSC but the Framemeister can still do a heck of a lot, plus it's all contained in one neat little unit.

I don't really like the way that the OSSC is kind of "open" with the board/chips etc exposed even when installed in a "case"... perhaps there's a reason for it, it still looks cool but I just figured that surely it would be a dust magnet, even if it can do quite a lot.

It also seems to be creeping up in price for one with a case, about £200 it seems, I got my Framemeister for under £300 with about £100 worth of cables.

Maybe I've made the wrong choice? I won't know until I start using it I suppose but in the meantime, I don't think it will go down in value at least and it seems to have ample connections. :)

It just seemed easier to get into than the OSSC as well, the place where I got the cables from has had ones which are compatible with the Framemeister for a while now and while they also surely support the OSSC too, I guess I've just gone with what seems to be the more stable and known platform... a bit like going Windows 7 over Windows 10 I suppose... :p (that might be a rubbish analogy, I don't know)

I'm happy with my decision at the moment though. :D

Are you thinking about getting an OSSC then?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Are you thinking about getting an OSSC then?

I've been toying with getting one for a while now. I've watched a few videos of it running the older consoles and the image quality it produces its nuts. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Maybe I've made the wrong choice? I won't know until I start using it I suppose but in the meantime, I don't think it will go down in value at least and it seems to have ample connections. :)

If it helps, I'm happy with mine. I've posted a couple of pictures in this thread but they probably aren't good enough to determine the picture quality.

Unless I'm remembering wrong or mixing them up, I do seem to recall the OSSC had some minor issues with some games that switched resolution in menus and such.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

If it helps, I'm happy with mine. I've posted a couple of pictures in this thread but they probably aren't good enough to determine the picture quality.

Unless I'm remembering wrong or mixing them up, I do seem to recall the OSSC had some minor issues with some games that switched resolution in menus and such.

I'm wasn't implying that there is anything wrong with framemeisters, just that now that the OSSC is on the market it offers a cheaper and, in some cases, better alternative. Framemeisters were really the only thing on the scene for a long time for this kind of thing but once OSSC launched I just wonder why people would choose a framemeister over one, especially given the hefty difference in price. ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm wasn't implying that there is anything wrong with framemeisters, just that now that the OSSC is on the market it offers a cheaper and, in some cases, better alternative. Framemeisters were really the only thing on the scene for a long time for this kind of thing but once OSSC launched I just wonder why people would choose a framemeister over one, especially given the hefty difference in price. ::shrug:

Nah no worries, I didn't think you were implying anything ::shrug:, just posting my own experience and research, which was from a year a go so might be wrong or changed since then. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Not to be outdone by Happenstance, I figured it was time to stop being so indecisive and just get involved.

c97ef08f62fa8809598017f88a21f2924bb21085

Spoiler

DaHElHzWkAAvGhA.jpg

I managed to get them off the same seller. All new and sealed. If I ordered 4+ items I got 25% off the order, so I went all in. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Nicely done sir!

Cheers. I'm quite excited to finally start my collection. 

The pad, VMUs and rumble pack came as a bundle. I even got a 3rd party rumble pack thrown in but that won't be getting used.

The guy had a few other game that were new and sealed but I really had to hold back on them.

My mate has still got his Dreamcast so I've asked to nick it off him ( he doesn't use it ) until I find one that I like on eBay. Hopefully I'll be playing a few of my games over the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not to be outdone by Happenstance, I figured it was time to stop being so indecisive and just get involved.

c97ef08f62fa8809598017f88a21f2924bb21085

Gaming Goods (Reveal hidden contents)

DaHElHzWkAAvGhA.jpg

I managed to get them off the same seller. All new and sealed. If I ordered 4+ items I got 25% off the order, so I went all in. :D 

Very Nice, how much did all that cost you?