NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

DZ8ptfDWsAEyDI1.jpg

The only card I need is the Ace of Spades!

I'm on replaying the Foundry in an effort to get all the challenges finished. I was so close of getting the final high score but failed at the last moment when I didn't land my jump. :(  I forgot just how good the soundtrack is in this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

DZ8ptfDWsAEyDI1.jpg

The only card I need is the Ace of Spades!

I'm on replaying the Foundry in an effort to get all the challenges finished. I was so close of getting the final high score but failed at the last moment when I didn't land my jump. :(  I forgot just how good the soundtrack is in this game.

There's something about doing Suburbia around Halloween with Wish by Alien Ant Farm playing that gives me some serious feels. Gonna try to hook it up and play before the football :hehe:

This DX delivery company is a bit shit. My Saturn never did arrive. The tracking on their site tells me to rebook my delivery but when I try to it just tells me my status again with no option to do anything else :angry:

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

This DX delivery company is a bit shit. My Saturn never did arrive. The tracking on their site tells me to rebook my delivery but when I try to it just tells me my status again with no option to do anything else :angry:

You're not having much luck with that whole order, are you? First the prices go up, then Croc gets cancelled, your PSOne has the wrong power cable and now this! :D 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You're not having much luck with that whole order, are you? First the prices go up, then Croc gets cancelled, your PSOne has the wrong power cable and now this! :D 

Yep. Making me think I’ll be sticking to instore purchases only with CEX from now on :( 

I've had an absolute blast playing THPS3 this evening. I've fully done both Foundry and Canada stages. It took a while to get used to landing then using reverts to keep the combo going but I'm getting there.

Took me ages to get the hidden video tape ( haha, remember them?) in Canada. When I finally did do it I also managed to finish my final mission which was to go around the big horn with a nose grind. It was a complete fluke that I done it! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Was just looking through Dreamcast stuff on ebay during my lunch break and came across this.

Limited Edition Console

Very pricey! :eek:

It's that time of year again when i've gotten the Dreamcast bug and i'm wanting to pull the trigger and buy one. I go through this every year. :D 

Funnily enough, I've been looking at buying a backup Dreamcast. Decided against bidding on a couple last night, £40 is most I really want to pay.

Regretting not picking up the two I saw at car boots last year for £30 each

6 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Funnily enough, I've been looking at buying a backup Dreamcast. Decided against bidding on a couple last night, £40 is most I really want to pay.

Regretting not picking up the two I saw at car boots last year for £30 each

Is your GD-Rom drive on the fritz or are you just wanting a spare?

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Is your GD-Rom drive on the fritz or are you just wanting a spare?

Just want a spare and probably cheaper to get one now than if it dies in a few years.

Just now, lostmario said:

Just want a spare and probably cheaper to get one now than if it dies in a few years.

I'd recommend getting a Panasonic Q as well just in case your Gamecube dies.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'd recommend getting a Panasonic Q as well just in case your Gamecube dies.

Bargain at £425 as well, I'll buy two

5 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Bargain at £425 as well, I'll buy two

Shop around, you can get it cheaper :p

8-4 Play were talking about the status of retro game collecting in Japan on a recent Giant Bombcast and they mentioned that a generational shift is starting over there now. While before the collectors were mainly going for Super Famicom and Mega Drive games they’ve now hit the point where the people wanting to collect are the ones who grew up with the PS1, Saturn and N64.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

8-4 Play were talking about the status of retro game collecting in Japan on a recent Giant Bombcast and they mentioned that a generational shift is starting over there now. While before the collectors were mainly going for Super Famicom and Mega Drive games they’ve now hit the point where the people wanting to collect are the ones who grew up with the PS1, Saturn and N64.

N64 and Saturn games are all ready stupidly expensive. Crazy to think that prices may go even higher.

I'm at work here telling a lad how I was playing THPS3 last night and we got on about how the game would be different if it were to made to today. We talked about how things like extra parks and skaters would be used as DLC and microtransactions used if you wanted to level up your skater quicker. 

When getting my PS2 out of the attic I brought down a bunch of games with it. One of them was Marvel vs Capcom 2 and you just have to look at that to just see what kind of state the industry is in. That's a game that has 56 characters all on the disc and has a great way of unlocking them. Compare that to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite that has only 30 characters, costume DLC, season passes and extra character DLC to see just what kind of state the industry is in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was definitely an unwelcome change in the way companies do business but I try not to dwell on it too much. We're already getting a big pushback on the pay to win stuff and we'll just have to see what comes from that. Companies try stuff like this out but it doesn't always stay around, just look at the online pass system EA was pushing last gen to try and combat second hand games.

Anyway, my copy of Phantom Menace for PS1 just arrived so its time to see how well that holds up to my memories of it!

And finally, Sega Saturn update. Still no word from the delivery company on why it wasn't delivered yesterday and why I cant rebook despite their site telling me that's what I need to do :(

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

And finally, Sega Saturn update. Still no word from the delivery company on why it wasn't delivered yesterday and why I cant rebook despite their site telling me that's what I need to do :(

Looking at their twitter account it looks like the entire company is a mess. Its just full of messages about deliveries not turning up. I tweeted them at around 9am this morning and they still have got to me yet in the reply queue.

On the plus side more of my games arrived through Royal Mail. FFIX, Die Hard Arcade, X-Men Children of the Atom, Daytona USA, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Fighters Megamix, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, PS1 mem card, Saturn mem card and the 3D pad (which turned out to be a white version). Just X-Files, Wing Commander IV and Incredible Crisis left to arrive from Royal Mail.

27 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Looking at their twitter account it looks like the entire company is a mess. Its just full of messages about deliveries not turning up. I tweeted them at around 9am this morning and they still have got to me yet in the reply queue.

I'm glad I don't use them online or in-store. I've never been a fan of them. Their shops always seem scruffy and the staff unprofessional, not to mention the way they treat their own stock. I was reading on Era how they've been caught selling games/blurays/dvds with printed covers trying to pass them off as originals. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

39 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm glad I don't use them online or in-store. I've never been a fan of them. Their shops always seem scruffy and the staff unprofessional, not to mention the way they treat their own stock. I was reading on Era how they've been caught selling games/blurays/dvds with printed covers trying to pass them off as originals. 

I'm talking about the DX Delivery company at the moment.

CEX has been a mixed bag for me. I guess because everything comes from different stores you can just get a massively different experience. Quite a few of the games I've received so far have been in surprisingly good condition but then you get things like the PSOne which I don't understand how they could have tested with a bent pin in the plug.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm at work here telling a lad how I was playing THPS3 last night and we got on about how the game would be different if it were to made to today. We talked about how things like extra parks and skaters would be used as DLC and microtransactions used if you wanted to level up your skater quicker. 

When getting my PS2 out of the attic I brought down a bunch of games with it. One of them was Marvel vs Capcom 2 and you just have to look at that to just see what kind of state the industry is in. That's a game that has 56 characters all on the disc and has a great way of unlocking them. Compare that to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite that has only 30 characters, costume DLC, season passes and extra character DLC to see just what kind of state the industry is in.

I've been thinking a lot about progression in games in general recently but more in the sense of how I prefer games to be structured rather than the influence of DLC and such. I may create a thread on it over the weekend but games like Super Mario Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and WipEout Omega Collection have given me things to think about in how they work.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm talking about the DX Delivery company at the moment.

CEX has been a mixed bag for me. I guess because everything comes from different stores you can just get a massively different experience. Quite a few of the games I've received so far have been in surprisingly good condition but then you get things like the PSOne which I don't understand how they could have tested with a bent pin in the plug.

Chances are they already have their own leads already set up for testing purposes and they only plug the console unit into this set up as it's more efficient in terms of time.. but it wouldn't really be doing their job properly :hmm:

11 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Chances are they already have their own leads already set up for testing purposes and they only plug the console unit into this set up as it's more efficient in terms of time.. but it wouldn't really be doing their job properly :hmm:

In my local one at least they do use the leads that come with the consoles as you can see into the back while they are testing.

I just played Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution on the Gamecube for the first time in years.. and it's still amazing :grin:

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

I just played Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution on the Gamecube for the first time in years.. and it's still amazing :grin:

I take it you didn't fire up Tony Hawks?