NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

...Not seeing Croc on that list :angry:

Haha! I was waiting for your reaction. To be honest, after watching that video I posted about it the other day the game doesn't seem all that bad. It just looks like your typical 3D platformer from that era, which I would probably enjoy.

• Like 1

The funny thing is, I don't particularly like 3D platformers. Its just that Croc was the only one I had during that era for years so its kind of stuck with me.

Ok then, thats the Panasonic Q put away to make room for the Saturn and PSOne as they should both arrive today. I really wish I had more space so I could leave all these consoles out on display. Putting them back in the wardrobe is depressing :(

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ok then, thats the Panasonic Q put away to make room for the Saturn and PSOne as they should both arrive today. I really wish I had more space so I could leave all these consoles out on display. Putting them back in the wardrobe is depressing :(

Just get some of these and place them on the wall.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/eket-cabinet-white-art-80334603/

• Like 1

Yep that would be the plan eventually. If I had any wall space I'd do that now but no luck at the moment.

The PSOne and most of the games for that arrived just now so I'm setting it all up. Think I'll start with Tony Hawk's 2!

*Sigh* They sent me the wrong fucking power cable for the PSOne! Its a kettle lead style from the old PS1.

EDIT: And the plug is bent anyway!

Edited by Happenstance

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

*Sigh* They sent me the wrong fucking power cable for the PSOne! Its a kettle lead style from the old PS1.

Are they gonna send you a new one out today?

My copy of THPS3 arrived yesterday. I shouldn't complain as it was only £3.50 but the condition of it wasn't that great. The barcode on the back had a bunch of writing on it ( wasn't shown in the photo ) and the back of the cover at the top has some wear marks where the sleeve has popped out at some point. That's what I hate about buying retro goods, it's so hard to find stuff that is up to my standards. :( 

Once I get in from work I think i'll nip up the attic and get the PS2 all set up. Gonna be interesting to see how well the game holds up.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Are they gonna send you a new one out today?

I've sent them an email so we'll see what they say.

Forgot how "fun" it is to try and tune aerial stuff in is. I think I'll have to try and pick some scart leads up at some point.

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Forgot how "fun" it is to try and tune aerial stuff in is. I think I'll have to try and pick some scart leads up at some point.

You using a CRT for your retro stuff or LCD?

I've set my old Playstation up now to play the games on. Otherwise I'll just be sitting here getting annoyed looking at a pile of games.

I am now wondering though why I didnt just set the PS2 up and play them all on that to save space and actually be able to use those memory cards (the PSOne mem card is in a different delivery).

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You using a CRT for your retro stuff or LCD?

LCD. Took a while but I got it working.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

LCD. Took a while but I got it working.

You should look at getting some component cables. I use them for my PS2 and it looks nice and crisp on the LCD. 

Also, the official portable LCD screen for the PSOne is worth investing in. The games look great on that small screen.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

You should look at getting some component cables. I use them for my PS2 and it looks nice and crisp on the LCD. 

Also, the official portable LCD screen for the PSOne is worth investing in. The games look great on that small screen.

I'll take a look thanks.

I'd forgotten just how slow Tekken 3 feels by the way.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I'd forgotten just how slow Tekken 3 feels by the way.

I love Tekken 3. Tekken Force mode was amazing. "CHICKEN!" :D

I remember it took me ages to unlock Dr. Boskonovitch. 

Ok I think I'm just gonna get the PS2 out. I want to be able to make some progress on these games and actually save!

Just now, Happenstance said:

Ok I think I'm just gonna get the PS2 out. I want to be able to make some progress on these games and actually save!

Don't you need a PSOne memory card still? Pretty sure you can't save on the PS2 memory card. Why not just play them on your PS3? You can save them without the need of a card.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Don't you need a PSOne memory card still? Pretty sure you can't save on the PS2 memory card. Why not just play them on your PS3? You can save them without the need of a card.

You're right.  PS1 games can only save on a PS1 memory card, not a PS2 one.

PS3 lets you make as many virtual PS1 memory cards as you want on its HDD though!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'd forgotten the PS3 could play PS1 games. I just associated it with only the 60gb version playing PS2 games and forgotten the rest.

Funnily enough as well I've just found two Playstation component cables in my disgusting box full of random cables.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone know if there is a way to stop the PS3 forcing widescreen on PS1 games?

Isn't there a video setting on the PS3 to do this?

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Isn't there a video setting on the PS3 to do this?

I've been looking through but not managed to find one yet.

Just found it. I must have missed it when I was playing Speed Freak (although I'm sure I looked properly!) but its in the PS settings when you are ingame.

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone know if there is a way to stop the PS3 forcing widescreen on PS1 games?

Yes there is.  It's in the Game Settings menu of the Settings tab on the PS3's XMB.  Choose the Normal size for the PS - Upscaler option.

Edit: Oh, never mind, you found it anyway.  Good job!

Edited by Dcubed

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I've been looking through but not managed to find one yet.

There should be one in the XMB somewhere. Try the Game Settings menu. It should be where you can add the smooth filter to the games.

EDIT: Ah, you found it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time