NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I can't view them as separate games, they simply weren't designed to be played that way originally.

S&K is the second half of Sonic 3, that was cut from the cartridge due to space and time constraints.  They're simply two parts of one game, the difficulty curve alone tells you that.

S&K is awful on its own because it simply isn't designed to be a standalone game, the difficulty starts out far higher and assumes that you've completed the previous levels from Sonic 3 beforehand.  When combined though? It's the greatest Sonic game ever made and one of the absolute finest platformers of its era.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I can't view them as separate games, they simply weren't designed to be played that way originally.

S&K is the second half of Sonic 3, that was cut from the cartridge due to space and time constraints.  They're simply two parts of one game, the difficulty curve alone tells you that.

S&K is awful on its own because it simply isn't designed to be a standalone game, the difficulty starts out far higher and assumes that you've completed the previous levels from Sonic 3 beforehand.  When combined though? It's the greatest Sonic game ever made and one of the absolute finest platformers of its era.

So, basically everything that was already said in the video. :p 

• Haha 2

I can easily view them as two separate games as, whatever the initial intention, that's how they were released!

The Mega Drive Sonic games really were special, though, with a magic that I don't think the series will ever properly capture again. 

Sonic Mania obviously comes as close as anything is ever likely to but largely because it borrows so heavily from those Mega Drive classics. 

I honestly don't care if Sega never release another Sonic game for the rest of my life as those original games are so perfect to dip into every now and again :hehe:

Thought I’d play some N64 games on the emulator on my GPDXD. Put No Mercy on and immediately got my arsed kicked :laughing: Need to get some practice in!

You know, what’s most impressive about these AKI wrestling games is just how well they hold up. I would much rather play a modern wrestling game in this engine than the crap we get these days.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

You know, what’s most impressive about these AKI wrestling games is just how well they hold up. I would much rather play a modern wrestling game in this engine than the crap we get these days.

I didn't play the Smackdown games when I was younger, so can't really compare. But, No Mercy is still the best wrestling game ever, at least in my opinion. The ladder matches were awesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I didn't play the Smackdown games when I was younger, so can't really compare. But, No Mercy is still the best wrestling game ever, at least in my opinion. The ladder matches were awesome.

They were quite different but the early Smackdown games were still fun. I loved playing Smackdown 2 with friends. They’ve just lost their way as they’ve gone on. Tried to make everything more realistic instead of fun.

The problem with the new WWE games is the same problem a lot of the industry has. Not enough care and attention is in the games they make and they are created to drain as much money as possible out of the consumer, regardless of the quality of the final product. 2K have ran the games into the ground and they are a laughing stock now. 

No Mercy is still the king when it comes to wrestling games. The amount of options you had was insane. You could update the roster and create stables as you saw fit ( no DLC/nickel and diming to be found here ), the insane amount of single player content with all of the storylines to go through that had branching paths, unlockables wrestlers....it was nuts. All of this wrapped in an amazing fighting engine, that rewarded grappling over brawling, made it one of the all time greats.

• Like 1

Just ordered Driver 1 and 2. Felt like I should get them as I’ve never actually played anything from the series before.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Just ordered Driver 1 and 2. Felt like I should get them as I’ve never actually played anything from the series before.

I've only played through a little bit of the first one but I can never seem to stick with it. I have, however, been through the infamous tutorial countless times!

I completed Driver 2 relatively recently, though (probably around 5 years ago) and I enjoyed it mostly. There are at least a couple of missions that will have you ripping your hair out :grin:

I have a feeling I never played the Driver games because I didn't like the fact that you couldn't get out of the car. I must have seen them after playing GTA III and just associated them with that.

59 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I have a feeling I never played the Driver games because I didn't like the fact that you couldn't get out of the car. I must have seen them after playing GTA III and just associated them with that.

You do get out of the car for certain portions of Driver 2.. but it ain't pretty :grin:

Sort of weighing up Panzer Dragoon II Zwei for £25. Worth it..?

4 minutes ago, nekunando said:

@Goafer is probably a good person to answer that. Never been my series.

6 minutes ago, nekunando said:

You do get out of the car for certain portions of Driver 2.. but it ain't pretty :grin:

The originals are good to play to see where the series started but I think Orta is the best out of the shooter Dragoon games.

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The originals are good to play to see where the series started but I think Orta is the best out of the shooter Dragoon games.

In the week in 2005 where I owned an XBOX, I had Panzer Dragoon Orta but obviously never really gave it time for me to get into it. I think my brother still has it somewhere but I don't own an XBOX and am highly unlikely to do so.

3 minutes ago, nekunando said:

In the week in 2005 where I owned an XBOX, I had Panzer Dragoon Orta but obviously never really gave it time for me to get into it. I think my brother still has it somewhere but I don't own an XBOX and am highly unlikely to do so.

Shame. You can unlock the original Panzer Dragoon game by playing it.

23 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I know we mention this a lot but you are the weirdest gamer I know Nando :laughing:

I'm a hero.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nekunando said:

I thought it was cheaper than that, but maybe Panzer Dragoon Saga has dragged its price up by association.

I think it's a great game. Obviously not as good as Saga, but then it's a completely different genre, with Saga being a great RPG and Zwei being a great rail shooter.

I'd say go for it, as it's a brilliant example of a genre we don't really get nowadays. I played it recently (past month) and it's one of the few Saturn games that still holds up well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goafer said:

I thought it was cheaper than that, but maybe Panzer Dragoon Saga has dragged its price up by association.

I think it's a great game. Obviously not as good as Saga, but then it's a completely different genre, with Saga being a great RPG and Zwei being a great rail shooter.

I'd say go for it, as it's a brilliant example of a genre we don't really get nowadays. I played it recently (past month) and it's one of the few Saturn games that still holds up well.

How about the first game? :smile:

7 hours ago, nekunando said:

How about the first game? :smile:

I've not really played it as I only own Zwei (not including my Japanese copy of 1, as I can't play it).

From what I've heard, they added quite a few features in Zwei, so I imagine 1 is just a cut down version with a different story. Gameplay should be the same though, so I imagine it's still fun.

I think I'll buy it soonish.

*Sigh* There was a box at work with a load of old video games stored in it which I always wanted to rummage through. Finally got some spare time this Easter holiday and it looks like they've gotten rid of it :cry:

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

*Sigh* There was a box at work with a load of old video games stored in it which I always wanted to rummage through. Finally got some spare time this Easter holiday and it looks like they've gotten rid of it :cry:

Heartbreaking :sad:

When I was going through my parents' roof space the other day there were so many things I felt I needed to rescue. No respect shown to the games :nono:

Anyway, after watching the Sonic video @Hero-of-Time posted yesterday I've had such an urge to play the multiplayer of Sonic 2 with my brother. Need that nostalgia hit, intensified by the Mystic Cave music! Not sure why the audio in the single player was different, though..