NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Despite having all these games coming that I want to play, some of which are RPGs, I just got finished watching a top 10 battle themes video and as soon as Persona 4's came up I was right back wanting to replay it yet again. That game really does have a hold over me that few other games have.

53 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Despite having all these games coming that I want to play, some of which are RPGs, I just got finished watching a top 10 battle themes video and as soon as Persona 4's came up I was right back wanting to replay it yet again. That game really does have a hold over me that few other games have.

The problem with getting so many games in one go is that it can be too easy to just flit between them all to try them out and never really concentrate on, or appreciate, them individually.

When I eventually got a PS2 in the late 2000s, I picked up loads of games, and sequels, I thought I'd want in a short space of time but ultimately never felt the desire to properly play a lot of them. I haven't touched Devil May Cry 3 because I was bored during the second entry and I wasn't keen on God of War, though I bought both games before figuring that out..

I think the difference for me is that I have played the majority of these games before and am mostly just rebuying. Even the ones I’ve never owned before I’ve mostly still played. That leaves things like Grandia free to take a good amount of my attention.

13 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I haven't touched Devil May Cry 3 because I was bored during the second entry

Probably because the second game is absolute trash and regarded as one of the worst gaming sequels ever made. I'm honestly surprised the series was able to continue after that entry! 

15 minutes ago, nekunando said:

The problem with getting so many games in one go is that it can be too easy to just flit between them all to try them out and never really concentrate on, or appreciate, them individually.

This is something very easy to do with retro gaming. You can end up buying loads, getting a nostalgic kick by playing a few mins of each of them but never actually playing them all the way through. It's even worse if you're buying stuff for the Mega Drive, PSOne and PS2 because most of the games are dirt cheap. If you are just wanting them for collection purposes then it's not a problem.

^^^another excellent Don’t Skip by EZA, this time on a retro game.

I also just wanted to mention that, as someone who wasn’t around/in a position to play a lot of the games talked about pre-PS1 in this thread, I’m really enjoying reading the discussions going on here, and I’ve added plenty of games I first of mentioned here to my ever-expanding list of games.

I had no idea that the Panasonic Q was even a thing until I saw it in here a few weeks back (and might I mention that it looks excellent, @Happenstance), so, as someone who still considers themselves relatively new to the great library that is gaming, I really want to thank you guys for your incredibly insightful discussions and opinions. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Probably because the second game is absolute trash and regarded as one of the worst gaming sequels ever made. I'm honestly surprised the series was able to continue after that entry! 

This is something very easy to do with retro gaming. You can end up buying loads, getting a nostalgic kick by playing a few mins of each of them but never actually playing them all the way through. It's even worse if you're buying stuff for the Mega Drive, PSOne and PS2 because most of the games are dirt cheap. If you are just wanting them for collection purposes then it's not a problem.

I'm certainly well aware of the reputation of Devil May Cry 2 :grin: I may eventually try to beat it, though!

As for the situation of maybe getting too many games at once, that's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of things like Sega Mega Drive Collection or other anthologies. It feels like too many things all in one go but I also don't really like a mixture of great and awful games in one package as I don't particularly want some titles as part of my 'collection' (fussy, I know :heh: ) but also it's difficult to ever really consider one of those things complete unless everything has been cleared.

With that and my aversion to unpleasant icons, I'm starting to wonder if I have some sort of undiagnosed condition..

On 28/03/2018 at 5:22 PM, Happenstance said:

If you don't want to buy a memory card I think its pretty simple and cheap to replace the watch battery in the Saturn so that the internal saves will work again.

I had it in my head that the internal battery of the Saturn was difficult to replace but, having just looked it up, you're right :hehe:

It's the Dreamcast battery that requires a soldering iron and whatever else!

With that in mind, the Saturn increases in desirability! Unfortunately, we can't find it.. unless my dad stuck it in their roof space. I may need to get up there before I go home :smile:

Any opinions on the Model 1 controller? I'm not a huge fan of the second iteration so would probably be keen on a couple of the analogue pads!

• Like 1

The Model 1 controller was awful. My brother in-law at the time had one and it just felt completely wrong. The Model 2 pad ( and console ) is the superior model.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Any opinions on the Model 1 controller? I'm not a huge fan of the second iteration so would probably be keen on a couple of the analogue pads!

I don't think I've ever tried using the model 1 controller, as far as I know @Goafer only had the model 2 one but I think I prefer the design of the model 1.

• Thanks 1

Also, the d-pad was horrendous on the model 1 controller. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Look at that sexy model 2 controller. 

The 3D pad was such a prototype for the Dreamcast controller. :D 

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

I didn't know there was 2 models of the Saturn! :eek:

We need to rename this thread to the Retro Thread of Shame.

• Haha 2

Trying to think of my other shameful moments...

I didnt complete Super Mario Bros on the NES until 2 or 3 years ago.

• Weird 1

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

Model 1 did the job and looked cool in pictures, but Model 2 felt far more solid and had better buttons.

• Thanks 1

Managed to get another copy of Croc off eBay, this time for PS1. I must replay it! Greatest 3D platformer of all time!

14 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Managed to get another copy of Croc off eBay, this time for PS1. I must replay it! Greatest 3D platformer of all time!

I dunno what's more shameful, the fact that I've never played it or the fact that you have and rate it so highly? :D 

• Haha 2

Those Saturn controllers just look so...uncomfortable now. God knows how I spent so many hours on the Mega Drive with that controller, or even the Master System. Controller ergonomics have come a long way since then. :D

I went up to my parents' roof space and retrieved the Sega Saturn :grin:

The Model 2 Controller is actually a lot better than I remember and I think I'm more welcoming of the system as a whole.

Found my old CRT today too so hooked it up to that and realised how much I had forgot about how good older games looked on those old TVs :hehe:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I don't think I've ever tried using the model 1 controller, as far as I know @Goafer only had the model 2 one but I think I prefer the design of the model 1.

I only had the model 2 originally, but I've got the model 1 (and console) as well now.

Model 1 controller is awful. Looks better, but the buttons are crap. Might just be mine, but from what's been said here, I'm guessing not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really wish the PC Star Trek games were more readily available to play digitally. There are quite a few that I'd love to play again but its not easy. I own a few but I don't even have a DVD drive on my PC anymore so if I want to play them I have to hook up my external drive. GOG did some work a few years ago to get some of them but that seems to have stalled again. I might try and get hold of some of the console versions over time I guess.

I've been watching a few videos from The Completionist over the past couple of days. Mostly just the retro games he's been replaying. His Sonic and Knuckles video is great.

I still think Sonic 3 was the better game but this certainly got me in the mood to play some S&K.

• Thanks 1

I haven't watched the video yet but I'm not sure how much I trust it. Pretty sure Sonic never had a beard...

• Haha 3