NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

50 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I always wondered what Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was like on N64..

..oh, and I am still slightly jealous of the Sega Saturn stuff but I'm sure it'll pass. It did the last time :grin:

I remember being really disappointed by THPS2 on the N64, the frame rate was atrocious so we took it back after a couple of hours play so I assume the 3rd one ran even worse. I played through 3 and Underground on the PS2 again about 2 years ago and they still hold up pretty well, I wish they would release 3 as a PS2 classic on PS4 - I'd play it all the time if it was more convenient but setting up my PS2 is a bit of a hassle and it doesn't help that it sounds like a jet engine.

As much as I love the N64 and the controller, playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and it's sequel never felt entirely comfortable with that particular pad though I had already experienced both games on PS1 beforehand so was accustomed to those controls.

While I still have a boxed version of the first game on N64, I sold my Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 cartridge to fund the superior Dreamcast game which I played relatively recently :smile:

EDIT In a strange coincidence, I've just turned on the TV and Kingpin is on. Within 10 seconds of me tuning in, the Superman song from the first Tony Hawk game played.

Fate wants me to play :grin:

Edited by nekunando

Was trying to get a copy of Vigilante 8 yesterday but it’s surprisingly expensive on PS1. Got good memories of that game.

22 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

😡 Typical! Saturn game prices seem to have gone down on CEX overnight!

That sucks... by how much for each game did the prices go down?

Die Hard Arcade for instance seems to be mirroring eBay prices currently.

Looking at it from another angle, it might be a good time to pick up Saturn Bomberman on there.

Edited by S.C.G

Most are just a quid or two. Die Hard Arcade went down from £40 to £35. I know it’s just the way this stuff works and is best not to dwell. It’s just a shame as I could have added a few extra cheap games to my order from yesterday.

Edit: On the other hand, I’m pretty sure Burning Rangers went up £25

Edited by Happenstance

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

😡 Typical! Saturn game prices seem to have gone down on CEX overnight!

Hello, temptation..

• Haha 3

Got one last game from ebay just now. I still needed a wrestling game to play as I don't have the N64 yet for No Mercy so I bought WWF Smackdown 2 for PS1. That was the first wrestling game that even had a chance of pulling me away from Wrestlemania 2000 as a kid so it'll be nice to play it again.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Most are just a quid or two. Die Hard Arcade went down from £40 to £35. I know it’s just the way this stuff works and is best not to dwell. It’s just a shame as I could have added a few extra cheap games to my order from yesterday.

Edit: On the other hand, I’m pretty sure Burning Rangers went up £25

Are they reading this thread?

Email and complain.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Are they reading this thread?

Email and complain.

Oddly enough about 30 minutes ago I received an £8.50 voucher from them which I'm assuming could actually be them refunding the difference in prices from yesterday. Annoyingly though the email doesn't say what the money is for!

The stuff I ordered yesterday has started dispatching as well but still no movement on the Wednesday order which is frustrating. That's the one with the actual Saturn console in it!

45 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oddly enough about 30 minutes ago I received an £8.50 voucher from them which I'm assuming could actually be them refunding the difference in prices from yesterday. Annoyingly though the email doesn't say what the money is for!

The stuff I ordered yesterday has started dispatching as well but still no movement on the Wednesday order which is frustrating. That's the one with the actual Saturn console in it!

At least you can buy something else now :grin:

I keep sending my brother messages to encourage him to find the Saturn but he doesn't seem bothered..

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've just found out that @Happenstance doesn't like NiGHTS! What is this madness?!

:laughing: I wonder where you saw that.

I've just never particularly thought it looked any good and when I finally played it I thought it controlled terribly. Massively overrated imo.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm surprised you didn't get kicked out of the thread. :D 

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm surprised you didn't get kicked out of the thread. :D 

NOT SO FAST..

37 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I've just never particularly thought it looked any good and when I finally played it I thought it controlled terribly. Massively overrated imo.

When it came to PS3, it must have been one of my first digital purchases on the system given the overwhelming praise it had received back on the Sega Saturn.

I never really got into it at all and sits alongside Journey and perhaps now Shovel Knight in the sickeningly overrated camp :blank:

It was nice knowing you guys..

• Like 1

I'm supporting @nekunando on this!  Despite being a massive Sega fan, I always thought NiGHTS was massively overrated.  You have to put it into the context of the time.  Nintendo had released the N64 and Super Mario 64, and Sega was desperate to prove it could match it.  It couldn't!  Sega magazines played their part in hyping it up, exaggerating how much it needed the "3D controller", when really it's just a 2.5D time-attack game.  I'm not saying it's bad (I made myself get into it), but there was too much riding on it being a rival to Super Mario 64.

Shovel Knight doesn't do a great deal for me either, although I'd call it an objectively good game.

@Happenstance @S.C.G @nekunando @Grazza and anyone else who wants to answer. What would you say your favourite Sega console is? 

I was thinking about it this evening and I found it to be a hard choice to make between the Mega Drive and Dreamcast. The MD has the nostalgic value going for it but the DC was ahead of its time and had an amazing library of games made when Sega went all I'm with creativity. Hmmmmm....

Easy question, Mega Drive for me. I'm sure its mostly nostalgia talking but that is where so many of my favourite gaming memories came from and I still think of it as my favourite console, not just Sega.

• Thanks 1

Someone needs to come up with a proper way to play old light gun games on hdtvs. I know there are people claiming some stuff can be done but I just want something simple like a tiny box you can sit under your tv and register the hits. It was annoying buying all these Saturn and PS1 games this week and skipping over games like Time Crisis and Virtual Cop because I didn’t see the point in getting them.

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Happenstance @S.C.G @nekunando @Grazza and anyone else who wants to answer. What would you say your favourite Sega console is? 

I was thinking about it this evening and I found it to be a hard choice to make between the Mega Drive and Dreamcast. The MD has the nostalgic value going for it but the DC was ahead of its time and had an amazing library of games made when Sega went all I'm with creativity. Hmmmmm....

My favourite Sega console was the Mega Drive, mostly because it was one of the consoles that made up a huge part of my childhood. I had split allegiances between Nintendo and Sega when growing up and loved the Mega Drive and SNES equally. The Dreamcast is an awesome console, but I didn't get into it until it had come and gone, whereas I was right there when the Mega Drive was at its peak. I still remember the first time I played Streets of Rage and being blown away by it. 

Never owned a Sega Saturn and missed the whole 32bit era completely. (never owned a Playstation until PS4) Have always been tempted to go back and check out some of the games from then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Hero-of-Time It would have to be Sega Megadrive for me as well, as while I'm partially ruled by nostalgia with it being my first main home console, it was much more than that...

Sonic the Hedgehog was unlike anything I'd ever played before, I ended up getting Sonic and Sonic 2 with my original Megadrive one Christmas and it changed my life. :D

I was obsessed with Sonic - still am - and would end up getting every main game in the series when it came out, as they seemed to get better each time with Sonic 3 & Knuckles legitimately blowing my mind at the time with that Lock On Technology... "Y-You mean I can even put Sonic 2 on top of Sonic and Knuckles and play as Knuckles in Sonic 2?!?" different times. :p

The gaming rental market had a significant impact on what I played back then in the Nineties, as of course I couldn't just buy a new game every week or month, so when I would stay with my Grandparents at weekends we would go down to Cats Video (as it was known here in Cornwall) which I can't find any images of but it was definitely there as I remember renting a load of games from there; most of the Disney titles where Castle of Illusion followed by World of Illusion which quickly became favourites... right through to Streets of Rage 3 which I kept renting time after time and never actually owned in physical form until fairly recently. :smile:

Oh man... simpler times, I could go on about all of the amazing Megadrive titles of that era but I must stop for fear of falling to deep down the nostalgic rabbit hole again. ;)

TL:DR - the Sega Megadrive had a profound impact on my life in gaming. :grin:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So we’re you guys Mega Drive 1 or 2? 

I now know the audio is supposed to be better with the Mega Drive 1 but as a kid I just loved the design of the 2 in comparison and it’s still the only type I’ve owned.