NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I've always wanted to play Burning Rangers since they did the Burning Ranger themed quests in PSO.

Just now, Ike said:

I've always wanted to play Burning Rangers since they did the Burning Ranger themed quests in PSO.

I should really talk to @Goafer more about his Saturn collection. He has Burning Rangers and always seemed to talk highly of it.

Burning Rangers is a spectacular game from Sonic Team. :D

It features a story with an interesting narrative centred around futuristic fire-fighting, a set amount of stages with a realistic yet arcade style feel to them and some nice cutscenes. :)

The character designs are cool, controls are both original and excellent considering this is an early 3D game plus there are proceedurally generated elements adding to replay value.

Oh and the soundtrack... :heart:

I would rate it as being one of my favourite games on the system. :peace:

5 hours ago, nekunando said:

I'd probably get both things sorted out if I was committing myself properly to it and figured out a selection of games I wanted :grin:

How is Steep Slope Sliders, @Goafer? I remember considering it back at the time!

It's ok, but not great. I think the problem is that games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater nailed board controls so well that everything else just feels clunky.

That's said, of my 2 purchases, it's by far the best. Sega Touring Car is awful. How a game can be so much like Sega Rally (same engine?) but handle so poorly is beyond me. I remembered the demo being bad, but God damn.

• Thanks 1

Just took the second half of my anime collection into CEX and got a nice £350 voucher so that's gonna be a lot of retro stuff for my collection! (Or one copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga :p )

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Goafer said:

It's ok, but not great. I think the problem is that games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater nailed board controls so well that everything else just feels clunky.

That's said, of my 2 purchases, it's by far the best. Sega Touring Car is awful. How a game can be so much like Sega Rally (same engine?) but handle so poorly is beyond me. I remembered the demo being bad, but God damn.

I haven't played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 in what feels like forever.

It's time to put it right :grin:

6 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I haven't played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 in what feels like forever.

It's time to put it right :grin:

That's the peak of the series for me. I remember playing the hell out of it on the PS2 back in the day.

I have more fondness for Tony Hawks 2 but I agree 3 was probably the peak. With this latest voucher I may start recreating my old ps1 collection and those games would be damn near top of the list.

23 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I have more fondness for Tony Hawks 2 but I agree 3 was probably the peak. With this latest voucher I may start recreating my old ps1 collection and those games would be damn near top of the list.

I played THPS1 on PS1 first then 3 on the Gamecube before later picking up the Dreamcast version of 2.

The third game is absolutely the peak of the series for me (it's a travesty what has happened to it) but there's something about the simplicity of 1, the music and the fact that it was my first taste of the franchise that places it as my second favourite. I think Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, while great, may have been slightly damaged by playing the superior third entry before it.

Aw man.. I really need to indulge the Gamecube desire right now. I've been wanting to play Luigi's Mansion, The Twin Snakes and Burnout 2 again for ages :grin:

I liked THPS1, played the hell out of the demo but 2 was just when it really hit for me. I went back to it recently on emulator and found myself losing hours to it just like I used to.

Thanks to this thread I've just sat and watched a retrospective of THPS3. What a game! I absolutely loved the cruise ship stage. 

*heads to eBay to look for PS2 version*

Just wanted to say as well, I do love this thread and how much discussion we get going in it! (and how much money it gets us all to spend!)

263fca2b-d7d0-4871-9fb3-7d75f644cc9d.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just wanted to say as well, I do love this thread and how much discussion we get going in it! 

I was thinking the same thing. Makes a nice change to actually discuss video games on this forum. :D 

My purchase is complete. Found a Buy It Now copy for £3.50. Bargain!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was thinking the same thing. Makes a nice change to actually discuss video games on this forum. :D 

My purchase is complete. Found a Buy It Now copy for £3.50. Bargain!

Well.. I do like my retro games :grin: ..and that's a great purchase!

I love and hate this thread in equal measure! You can't help but be a little envious at some of the purchases (The Panasonic Q was a great buy) and yet I love seeing you all share the joy in some classic games.. even if it constantly makes me want to spend money :hehe:

3 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Well.. I do like my retro games :grin: ..and that's a great purchase!

I love and hate this thread in equal measure! You can't help but be a little envious at some of the purchases (The Panasonic Q was a great buy) and yet I love seeing you all share the joy in some classic games.. even if it constantly makes me want to spend money :hehe:

I'm getting close to clicking pay on this latest CEX haul. Its a lot of games...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm getting close to clicking pay on this latest CEX haul. Its a lot of games...

I look forward to seeing all of it and thinking about what Is like from it :grin:

The heartbreaking thing with CeX is the £1.50 delivery charge for each item. It's OK if you're only buying a couple of things but that must really sting when you add a load of things to the basket! Plus, you're never quite sure the condition will be up to the required standard.

I got Spirit Camera for 3DS through the post today using up the last of a voucher I had and there's an irritating little dent in the front of the case that has created a small tear in the cover art. I'm not too bothered in this instance but it's a bit of a lottery :heh:

You've inspired me to hunt down things to trade in for credit!

Ok then, here we go:

N64
WWF No Mercy

Playstation
PSOne Console
Memory Card
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Incredible Crisis
Metal Gear Solid
Speed Freaks
Tekken 3
Tony Hawk 2
Tony Hawk 3
Tony Hawk 4
Wing Commander IV
The X-Files

Sega Saturn
Clockwork Knight
Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
Die Hard Arcade
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Oh and an 2tb external hard drive to make me feel a bit better that I didn't burn all of that trade in money on retro games :laughing:

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ok then, here we go:

N64
WWF No Mercy

Fingers crossed for you that it doesn't have the save glitch.

Just now, lostmario said:

Fingers crossed for you that it doesn't have the save glitch.

Oh I’d forgotten all about that! Still, it’s not like I have an N64 to play it on yet anyway lol.

I don’t think I ever played Tony Hawk 4 on PS1 which is why I got that one as well. Curious to see what it’s like compared to the PS2 one.

I've accepted that it's virtually impossible to get WWF No Mercy without the save glitch. I borrowed a friend's copy and he had it. Then, I bought it for myself some time down the line and that copy had it, too. Gutted. Lost so much progress on that game. Such a widespread problem, too. Literally the only flaw of that game.

Hearing all of this talk about Tony Hawk's 3 is bringing back memories. It was the first TH game that I played and I just played the absolute shit out of it. Suburbia, Airport, LA and Skater Island were my favourite levels in that game. Maybe Cruise Ship, too. 

I'm actually not that jealous this time :grin:

I already have what is probably want from that list.

Very disappointing :heh:

5 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I'm actually not that jealous this time :grin:

I already have what is probably want from that list.

Very disappointing :heh:

Boooooooooo!

29 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I don’t think I ever played Tony Hawk 4 on PS1 which is why I got that one as well. Curious to see what it’s like compared to the PS2 one.

I always wondered what Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was like on N64..

..oh, and I am still slightly jealous of the Sega Saturn stuff but I'm sure it'll pass. It did the last time :grin:

I don’t think I ever played any of the N64 versions. At that point I was very much all in on the PS1.