NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Traded in a load of stuff to CEX today so ive got £150 to spend on their site (if it ever lets me log in to register the voucher!). Gonna go for a retro haul again so need to figure out if I want to try and fill a couple of the console holes in my collection like the N64, Saturn, GBA etc or get some more games for the ones I already have, maybe even some rare ones.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Traded in a load of stuff to CEX today so ive got £150 to spend on their site (if it ever lets me log in to register the voucher!). Gonna go for a retro haul again so need to figure out if I want to try and fill a couple of the console holes in my collection like the N64, Saturn, GBA etc or get some more games for the ones I already have, maybe even some rare ones.

Snap! :D

I traded in a load of stuff to CEX today as well, I had £150 to spend on their site... but I spent just over £50 of it in-store.

Traded in... some cheap DVD's, two boxed Playstations oh and a boxed copy of Time Killers for the Megadrive. ;) (that's where most of the value came from)

I know it's a kind of rare game but, I didn't pay anything near that for it originally, I played it for a bit and I do still have a cart only copy at least but keeping that. :)

As for what I bought... I got a Ghibli DVD (The Red Turtle), Metal Arms: Glitch in the System on the GameCube, Blazing Skies for the SNES and Poi Explorer Edition on the Switch. :peace:

Still got just under £100 left, thinking I might keep it for Neo Geo Pocket Color Games... if they ever get any of the ones I want in to fill some gaps...

...though I was eyeing up the Mega-CD games. :p

What games are you after Happenstance? I'm happy to shout out some random titles for N64, Saturn, GBA etc if you're looking for recommendations. :smile:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

What games are you after Happenstance? I'm happy to shout out some random titles for N64, Saturn, GBA etc if you're looking for recommendations. :smile:

I'm basically going through CEX's site at the moment, listing everything I want and how much it costs lol.

Here's what I have so far:

N64 Console
Mario Golf
WCW vs NWO
WWF No Mercy
WWF Wrestlemania 2000

Sega Saturn Console
Sega Rally
Die Hard Trilogy
Virtua Fighter 2
Croc
Fighters Megamix
Daytona USA
Fighting Vipers
X-Men Children of the Atom
Virtual On

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

Just now, Happenstance said:

Or I could blow it all on an Atari Jaguar.

Interesting that you should mention the Atari Jaguar, I got mine boxed when Game secured a stock of them from a warehouse somewhere in 2003 I think? £20... plus games for probably cheaper than that, now though in 2018... :blank: I couldn't believe how much it has gone up to, if I'd known that back then I might have bought more but money was tighter back then, it still is really in relative terms but we're talking pre-employment. :p

I must say that the Atari Jaguar is an excellent console for what it is and for the handful of really decent games on it... £150 worth of awesome though? I don't know but with things going the way they are, the value of them may go up and you could build up a nice library of games over time. :) Perhaps get a console and a copy of Doom and see how you go?

Alternatively... you mentioned that you don't own an N64 or a Saturn? :o Definitely get on those I would say! I'd advise getting an N64 with an Expansion Pak, at least two controllers, or just buy some of those new pads by Retro Fighters (I got mine from the Kickstarter the other day, possibly going to try them out later) and those Wrestling games you mentioned.

As for the Sega Saturn, I'd say look out for the 3D controller as that's worth having, pretty much all of those games you listed are worth picking up too and plenty more besides. :D

Speaking of CEX, it was a weird trade in experience today. Not only was an old couple yelling at the manager that they would be starting legal proceedings because she wouldn't give them a cash refund for the phone they claimed didn't work even though it was out of the 3 month warranty but the guy checking all my stuff did it while chatting to his girlfriend (who doesn't work there) about each blu ray and saying "we aren't allowed to sell the postcards that come with these limited editions, you can have them". So instead of offering me them back saying they couldn't sell those parts he just handed them to his girlfriend, right in front of me!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Alternatively... you mentioned that you don't own an N64 or a Saturn? :o Definitely get on those I would say! I'd advise getting an N64 with an Expansion Pak, at least two controllers, or just buy some of those new pads by Retro Fighters (I got mine from the Kickstarter the other day, possibly going to try them out later) and those Wrestling games you mentioned.

As for the Sega Saturn, I'd say look out for the 3D controller as that's worth having, pretty much all of those games you listed are worth picking up too and plenty more besides. :D

My problem tends to be that I've already owned most of these consoles before with loads of the games so when trying to get them again for the collection its a lot less exciting lol.

17 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Speaking of CEX, it was a weird trade in experience today. Not only was an old couple yelling at the manager that they would be starting legal proceedings because she wouldn't give them a cash refund for the phone they claimed didn't work even though it was out of the 3 month warranty but the guy checking all my stuff did it while chatting to his girlfriend (who doesn't work there) about each blu ray and saying "we aren't allowed to sell the postcards that come with these limited editions, you can have them". So instead of offering me them back saying they couldn't sell those parts he just handed them to his girlfriend, right in front of me!

Isn't that theft, you haven't sold them to them yet? What if you changed your mind?

Just now, Ike said:

Isn't that theft, you haven't sold them to them yet? What if you changed your mind?

I was kind of tempted to say I'd changed my mind just to see what happens but I hate those damn postcards that you get with limited edition blu rays so I was just happy to get rid of them. Very weird thing to do though.

Ahhh, you could have made it veeery awkward for both of them. I would have been so tempted just to fuck around and say that you wanted them. They can't really say no, can they?

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Or I could blow it all on an Atari Jaguar.

I think the great thing about buying anything like that or other retro games and consoles is that their value will almost certainly increase as the years go buy some you can't really lose :hehe:

• Thanks 1

Ok then that's my CEX stuff ordered. I ended up going with:

Sega Saturn console
3D Control Pad
Official Backup Memory Cart
Sega Rally
Fighters Megamix
Die Hard Trilogy
Tomb Raider
Croc Legend of the Gobbos
X-Men: Children of the Atom

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ok then that's my CEX stuff ordered. I ended up going with:

Sega Saturn console
3D Control Pad
Official Backup Memory Cart
Sega Rally
Fighters Megamix
Die Hard Trilogy
Tomb Raider
Croc Legend of the Gobbos
X-Men: Children of the Atom

Going down the Saturn rabbit hole is a very expensive affair. Watch your funds drain as you pick up Shining Force 3, Shining The Holy Ark, Guardian Heroes, Deep Fear and Panzer Dragoon Saga. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll just get @Goafer to bring round his copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga! There were some other games I will probably still get at some point but I already went over my voucher amount buying that damn 3D pad so I could play Croc properly! :laughing:

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Going down the Saturn rabbit hole is a very expensive affair. Watch your funds drain as you pick up Shining Force 3, Shining The Holy Ark, Guardian Heroes, Deep Fear and Panzer Dragoon Saga. :D 

I picked up a Sega Saturn on ebay a good few years ago now but I didn't have a way of saving any data and when I discovered the expense of any of the games I would potentially want and additional controllers and memory card it just didn't seem worth it. My brother paid me what I paid for it (about £35 with a few decent games) and I haven't really thought about it too much since.. but the fact that CeX now sell Saturn stuff is luring me back a little.

My brother has it in a box somewhere so I may bring it out some day and see just how I feel about things now :hehe: I kinda want to play Sega Rally and Manx TT again :grin:

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I picked up a Sega Saturn on ebay a good few years ago now but I didn't have a way of saving any data and when I discovered the expense of any of the games I would potentially want and additional controllers and memory card it just didn't seem worth it. My brother paid me what I paid for it (about £35 with a few decent games) and I haven't really thought about it too much since.. but the fact that CeX now sell Saturn stuff is luring me back a little.

My brother has it in a box somewhere so I may bring it out some day and see just how I feel about things now :hehe: I kinda want to play Sega Rally and Manx TT again :grin:

If you don't want to buy a memory card I think its pretty simple and cheap to replace the watch battery in the Saturn so that the internal saves will work again.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

If you don't want to buy a memory card I think its pretty simple and cheap to replace the watch battery in the Saturn so that the internal saves will work again.

I'd probably get both things sorted out if I was committing myself properly to it and figured out a selection of games I wanted :grin:

How is Steep Slope Sliders, @Goafer? I remember considering it back at the time!

27 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I'd probably get both things sorted out if I was committing myself properly to it and figured out a selection of games I wanted :grin:

How is Steep Slope Sliders, @Goafer? I remember considering it back at the time!

It's a poor mans Cool Borders.

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's a poor mans Cool Borders.

..which is a poor man's 1080 :eek:

I'm just down at my brother's right now and he doesn't know where the Saturn is :blank:

• Thanks 1

Going through all this stuff today just makes me wish yet again that Sega would do a better job with their older titles. The Mega Drive stuff has been pretty well looked after and we have loads of collections for that but things like the Saturn and Dreamcast eras (and Master System I guess) just dont get enough love. The Saturn especially I think was such a weird era that deserves to be shown off more.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Going through all this stuff today just makes me wish yet again that Sega would do a better job with their older titles. The Mega Drive stuff has been pretty well looked after and we have loads of collections for that but things like the Saturn and Dreamcast eras (and Master System I guess) just dont get enough love. The Saturn especially I think was such a weird era that deserves to be shown off more.

Totally agree. It's like Sega forget that they had other consoles. 

Problem with the Saturn is that it's notoriously hard to emulate.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'd love for Nintendo to step forward and somehow get some of the greatest Saturn and Dreamcast games on Switch!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think I read a few months ago that Saturn emulation has finally been cracked properly now.

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think I read a few months ago that Saturn emulation has finally been cracked properly now.

Whatever the case, you guys have put me in the mood to play the Saturn.. and I hate every single one of you for it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Whatever the case, you guys have put me in the mood to play the Saturn.. and I hate every single one of you for it!

I may get some more games sooner than later for it as well. I've still got a load more blu rays I plan to trade in. I just didn't want to take them in all at once!