NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I always hated that Master System. The version 2 model was far superior.

I dunno, there's something extra retro about the first one that I quite like.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I dunno, there's something extra retro about the first one that I quite like.

I just hate how angular it looks. Saying that, I LOVE the Mark 3 for some strange reason.

MarkIII.jpg

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Don't regret it. I think that's a fair price for a Q.

I do get what you mean though. I often go back and forth when it comes to buying retro gaming stuff. It's something I have done for years when it comes to buying Panzer Dragoon Saga ( I will buy it one of these days ). Usually once I get the item in the post the feeling of buyers remorse goes away, especially when it sits nicely in your collection. Be proud of your purchase as it's something not very many gamers will have in their own collections.

*nods* This is true, you did very well to get a Panasonic Q for that price @Happenstance I think it's very much worth it. :)

I have added a *few Retro Gaming purchases to my collection during the first few months of 2018, yes this was supposed to be the year of saving and... I still will save, well now at least. :D

They are all games I want to play though and I really don't think they'll depreciate in value at all, (probably the opposite) which is reassuring. :peace:

Most of this week (I have some time off) will be devoted to having a clearout though and seeing if I can sort out my retro console setup properly or at least make things easier to get at.

I might have some doubles of certain Sega games, probably mostly Mega Drive or Dreamcast, possibly some Xbox games as well for sale as I want to make some money back on some of the stuff I don't play plus I need the space, if I think there's anything which might be of interest though, I'll let you all know, I may have to list them elsewhere in the meantime but if anyone expresses an interest, I'll take it off sale and offer it here for N-E discount price. :grin:

*Might be more than a few...

• Like 1

I can access my console collection easily enough but its all the cables that I've got issues with. They're basically just all shoved into some drawers and its a massive mess. One day I need to take the time to actually get them all out, sort them and label them.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Oh yeah I get this way every single time I spend a big sum of money on something.

I ended up paying £310 for the console and all the games I listed. A lot for an old console but I think with the console itself being rare and it including a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends it probably works out quite well.

That's a great price for a fully functioning Q! Let alone with all of those games! (SOAL alone averages £40-70!) Hell, I'd say that's a steal, looking at average prices on eBay for a fully functioning Q!

BTW, can I just say that I'm really pissed that modern 4K displays are now coming out without ANY analog inputs whatsoever? Getting a GCN/Wii hooked up to one of these is a total PITA!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The Panasonic Q arrived at work this morning and I immediately managed to drop it :eek:

You didn't damage/mark it, did you?

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

You didn't damage/mark it, did you?

Unfortunately yeah, its in bits now. @S.C.G you still willing to buy it off me for full price? :p

...It was still in its shipping box and not particularly high off the ground when I dropped it so I expect its fine. I haven't opened it to check yet as its now in the car waiting to go home.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Unfortunately yeah, its in bits now. @S.C.G you still willing to buy it off me for full price? :p

...It was still in its shipping box and not particularly high off the ground when I dropped it so I expect its fine. I haven't opened it to check yet as its now in the car waiting to go home.

Oh man, please don't do that to me... my heart nearly skipped a beat when you said you dropped it. :laughing: (it's not even my console)

I'd hate to think what I'd do if I'd personally dropped a Panasonic Q, out of its box onto a hard surface from about 4 foot or so up, watching it shatter before my very eyes... :sad:

What a harrowing thought, I think I need a moment... :p

You do realise we're going to demand pictures from you, of it set up, unscathed in its pride of place now just for the forums piece of mind? ;)

Ok then fine, as none of you were kind enough to take my bait and worry for me I'll post the real photos now that I'm home! :p

i3fmlJL.jpgsQPaeup.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Happenstance Now those are the pictures we were waiting for! Excellent stuff. :D

*realises just how much I want a Panasonic Q*

*sigh*

One day...

• Like 1

That's a good looking collection. Your SNES looks like its in great condition. Most of them are yellow now.

No love for the Master System?

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's a good looking collection. Your SNES looks like its in great condition. Most of them are yellow now.

No love for the Master System?

Nope, never had a Master System. Its one of the consoles that's still on my list to get. I used to have an N64 and Saturn as well so those need rebuying.

Lets see, the consoles in that photo that are mine and weren't bought later were the NES, Playstation 1, Atari 2600 Jr, Xbox and DS Phat.

Just realised that I left the Wii out from that photo. Its kept separate from all my other consoles so I forgot about it :laughing:

• Haha 1

Got a couple of new games for the Saturn, namely Sega Touring Car Championship and Steep Slope Sliders.

Also got a component cable so that I can capture footage. The quality is nowhere near as good as the Scart cable, but there's no Scart input on the Elgato, so it'll have to do.

Obviously had to test on the greatest racing game of all time:

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned in the Wiiware thread, I picked up a RGB scart cable for the GC so I can run it through my Framemeister, Luigi's Mansion holds up really well at 1080p considering it was released in 2001/2002.

y4mTgmTFGez09jTS7-6z24NLJPYho4Jj99elHbkw

The game boots up with no load times, even playing the Pikmin movie doesn't have any load times. This doesn't seem to be a thing Nintendo aims for so much these days and it's a shame. I remember they delayed Tales of Symphonia because the loading times were too long.

Unfortunately the game is rather awkward to control (at least using the "sidestep" control scheme), especially trying move, aim and turn off the flashlight all at the same time. Will be interesting how they handle it on the 3DS version.

I got my Gamecube from Toys 'R' Us so it's a shame to see them on the verge of death. It was also my first console I bought with my own money (that price drop right before release was a God send).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ike said:

As I mentioned in the Wiiware thread, I picked up a RGB scart cable for the GC so I can run it through my Framemeister, Luigi's Mansion holds up really well at 1080p considering it was released in 2001/2002.

y4mTgmTFGez09jTS7-6z24NLJPYho4Jj99elHbkw

The game boots up with no load times, even playing the Pikmin movie doesn't have any load times. This doesn't seem to be a thing Nintendo aims for so much these days and it's a shame. I remember they delayed Tales of Symphonia because the loading times were too long.

Unfortunately the game is rather awkward to control (at least using the "sidestep" control scheme), especially trying move, aim and turn off the flashlight all at the same time. Will be interesting how they handle it on the 3DS version.

I got my Gamecube from Toys 'R' Us so it's a shame to see them on the verge of death. It was also my first console I bought with my own money (that price drop right before release was a God send).

Yeah, Standard is so much better than Sidestep, I'd swap over ASAP.

LM is very impressive for how seamless the loading is; very few GCN games quite managed the same feat of making it feel as seamless (even the likes of SSBM, or Metroid Prime; though their loadtimes are very short, they are still noticeable - not so in LM!)