NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Problem now is that physical games aren't even proper archives of retail releases anymore either, since almost all of them have post-release patches and DLC that add and fix things.  Some games aren't even playable without these updates!

Nintendo do have a tendency to include updates and patches on the disc/cart on later reprints of their games (Skyward Sword comes to mind), but they're not exactly consistent about it.

Even physical games don't last forever though.  And ultimately, they only live as long as the hardware that runs it does, even if the physical media outlasts it...

No matter what happens, emulation (be it software or hardware based) is ultimately the only way to truly keep these games alive.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I have been tempted to get a Retrode (or an alternative) to start dumping my carts for archival sake.

On 03/03/2018 at 12:41 PM, Dcubed said:

BTW, friendly reminder.  The Wii Shop channel will stop allowing you to add Wii points to make new purchases from March 26th!

There are plenty of games that are ONLY available on the Wii VC and nowhere else outside of their original platform currently! Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2/4 SNES, Castlevania Rondo of Blood (unless you want the butchered PSP version...), most of the TG16 library, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen...

Note that all import titles on the Wii VC (and ALL TG16 Wii VC games in general) are 60hz (except for import Megadrive games, they’re all 50hz for godknowswhat reason).

If you don’t want to pay £50+ for Chrono Trigger or £250+ for Castlevania Rondo of Blood, get them while you still can!!

Wii U has access to the Wii Shop Channel via the Wii menu as well! Get those exclusives while you still can!!

Just to add further weight to this as the date looms ever closer, I would advise anyone wondering which games they might be missing out on to watch this... :)

I've just finished watching it myself and it has really hit home that there are plenty of titles I will miss if I don't get them soon, even though I have a lot of them already.

There were some titles I didn't download because I either had already played them in their original form or thought that I already had the best versions.

Through writing VC Weekly over the years (which may yet return) It's true that I did get codes for some of the games but not all of them.

In fact the majority of them were self-funded, I shudder to think how many Wii Points cards I bought over the years... :blank:

So yes, it's starting to feel real now even for me as there are around fifty titles I possibly still want to get. :hmm:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see if I can still buy some points cards to save a little bit. :p

If anyone has any unused Wii points cards, I'd advise using them...

...or offer them up for sale, heck I'd buy them. :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great video, Sam. I would have liked them to go into details a little more about games that aren't available on any other service but it was still a fantastic watch. 

I've actually being prepping for the final days of the Wii Shopping Channel. I got rid of my Wii MANY moons ago and while I know you can access the games via the Wii U, i'd rather  have them on the original hardware. That being the case, I picked up this beauty off of ebay a couple of weeks ago.

DYZUipqU0AEtJRz.jpg

DYZUipsU8AASpxN.jpg

DYZUip9XkAADFUV.jpg

Yup, I nabbed a brand new Wii! I actually picked up 2 Wii consoles. I bought a brand new white one at the end of January purely because there were no black ones available. The thing arrived and then a week later a black one was listed, which is the colour I really wanted. I never opened the white one, so I have a nice, brand spanking new Wii in reserve. :D 

I was hoping to start downloading and playing some WiiWare games at the start of March but the terrible snow held my Wii up and I didn't get it until the end of last week. Hopefully I will get everything set up and get started over the weekend. It's gonna cost a small fortune to nab all the games I want on the system. :( 

It's awful to think that if your Wii breaks then all of your digital games will go with it. If an old school console breaks at least you can still pick up another one off of ebay and then play your games again but once all of these digital stores close and the hardware they are tied to dies, then it's goodbye forever. It's situations like this why I will ALWAYS prefer physical over digital.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it's a shame.  On the other hand, those games would have never have existed without the digital marketplace to begin with.

It's sad to think of how many Wii Ware exclusives still haven't been ported (and possibly never will) though.  Pray for them coming to the inevitable Wii VC...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just seeing those pictures of a fresh new Wii getting unboxed gets me strangely hyped, @Hero-of-Time :grin: I wanna go play Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort immediately.. and maybe I will :love:

As for the impending closing of the shop, I still can't decide what to pick up! I don't want to spend too much money. I reckon I'll definitely purchase Castlevania Rebirth for 1000 points as Contra Rebirth is great but beyond that I really don't know. 

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

Just seeing those pictures of a fresh new Wii getting unboxed gets me strangely hyped, @Hero-of-Time :grin: I wanna go play Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort immediately.. and maybe I will :love:

As for the impending closing of the shop, I still can't decide what to pick up! I don't want to spend too much money. I reckon I'll definitely purchase Castlevania Rebirth for 1000 points as Contra Rebirth is great but beyond that I really don't know. 

I'm not gonna lie, it was very nostalgic unpacking and setting it up last night. It's such a nice looking console.

I put £35 credit on the store and picked up a bunch of WiiWare games yesterday evening. I forgot how slow the Wii Shopping Channel is! :D 

On the flip side, seeing that Wii makes me feel sick :p It's probably my most hated console ever lol.

I still think of the Wii as just one generation ago, but then I remember the WiiU. :p

I remember unboxing it for the first time and playing Twilight Princess. Not quite nostalgic about it just yet as it still feels too fresh in the mind for me.

You can back up the Virtual Console games on a PC from the SD card, right..? I wanna make sure I have the information available as many places as possible to avoid losing them forever (which, of course, will hapen anyway if my Wii ever dies)

EDIT I've just added 1000 points to download Castlevania Rebirth.. but it's gonna cost way too much to buy everything I want (which is, basically, everything :heh: )

Edited by nekunando

On 15/03/2018 at 4:47 PM, S.C.G said:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see if I can still buy some points cards to save a little bit. :p

Did you find any cheap points, turns out I didn't buy some games I thought I had, like Chrono Trigger. Found I had 1900 points on there already though.

Anyone else do a transfer to their Wii U?

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Did you find any cheap points, turns out I didn't buy some games I thought I had, like Chrono Trigger. Found I had 1900 points on there already though.

Anyone else do a transfer to their Wii U?

Two points cards of 2000 points each, got them for maybe a couple of pounds saving but that's about it.

I wouldn't advise doing a transfer to your Wii U if you want to keep the superior picture quality on the Wii when running via certain cables... it's explained better in that video above but I knew there was a reason I needed to keep my VC games on my Wii, it's related to the original 240p signal I believe, anyway just something to consider. :peace:

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Two points cards of 2000 points each, got them for maybe a couple of pounds saving but that's about it.

I wouldn't advise doing a transfer to your Wii U if you want to keep the superior picture quality on the Wii when running via certain cables... it's explained better in that video above but I knew there was a reason I needed to keep my VC games on my Wii, it's related to the original 240p signal I believe, anyway just something to consider. :peace:

I actually already transferred when the Wii U released, kinda regret it.

I had to redownload all my titles, that wasn't fun. For some reason some of the games wouldn't download straight to the SD card. The Wii U crashed at one point. You get kicked back to the main screen after downloading a title for some reason. The positive and negative action buttons get swapped for no reason (I suspect that was on purpose though).

Bought Chrono Trigger and Castlevania Rondo of Blood. Thinking about picking up Phantasy Star and Monster World IV but not sure.

Also I recommend Ys Book 1 & 2.

• Thanks 1

Just found myself looking at Panasonic Qs again on eBay. Despite being in the middle of setting money aside at the moment for other stuff I did put a bid in. Wasn’t high enough which I’m kind of glad about!

Edit: I’m so weak! I bid again and am now the highest bidder...

Edited by Happenstance
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just found myself looking at Panasonic Qs again on eBay. Despite being in the middle of setting money aside at the moment for other stuff I did put a bid in. Wasn’t high enough which I’m kind of glad about!

Edit: I’m so weak! I bid again and am now the highest bidder...

Nice! I've always wanted one for my collection but never been able to find one in good enough condition, at least to my standards. The things seem to get easily marked due to the chrome finish. :( 

I doubt I’ll win it as I don’t think I should go any higher and I bet there will be a load of late bids but there’s only 3 and a half hours left so I’ll let you know what happens.

• Thanks 1

4143.jpg

Lets get an image of the sexy beast in here before I either regret paying so much, or regret not bidding enough for it and start to feel bitter towards it :p 

• Haha 1

Well I ended up bidding about £30 more than I originally planned to but I won the auction! Its a modded Panasonic Q and comes with 25 games:

Japanese:

Beach Spikers Volyball
Konjiki no Gashbell!! Yujyo TagBattle Full Power
Konjiki no Gashbell!! 2
Naruto
Naruto 2
Naruto 4
NBA Street 3
Super Mario Strikers
Soul Calibur 2
Waverace Blue Storm

American:

Bloodrayne
Burnout
Burnout 2
Cel Damage
Dakar 2
Fifa Soccer 2002
Fifa Soccer 2003
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Splinter Cell
Starfox Adventures
Starwars Rogue Leader
Time Splitters 2
Whirl Tour
XIII
X-Men Next Dimension
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The bitterness and regret is starting to sink in lol

If it all gets too much for you, let me know and I'll relieve you of your shiny, chrome-plated "burden" for what you paid for it plus postage. ;)

Just... how much exactly did you pay for it though? Out of interest. (If you don't mind me asking)

I reckon the moment it arrives though, you'll be saying to yourself "there's no way I'm ever going to sell this magnificent machine!" and there'll be no going back. :p

Enjoy it. :peace:

Oh yeah I get this way every single time I spend a big sum of money on something.

I ended up paying £310 for the console and all the games I listed. A lot for an old console but I think with the console itself being rare and it including a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends it probably works out quite well.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oh yeah I get this way every single time I spend a big sum of money on something.

I ended up paying £310 for the console and all the games I listed. A lot for an old console but I think with the console itself being rare and it including a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends it probably works out quite well.

Don't regret it. I think that's a fair price for a Q.

I do get what you mean though. I often go back and forth when it comes to buying retro gaming stuff. It's something I have done for years when it comes to buying Panzer Dragoon Saga ( I will buy it one of these days ). Usually once I get the item in the post the feeling of buyers remorse goes away, especially when it sits nicely in your collection. Be proud of your purchase as it's something not very many gamers will have in their own collections.

• Thanks 1

What doesn't help my retro collection urges is that I work in the IT department at a school and have to walk past this every day:

GjZnuSc.jpg

• Haha 2