NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I'm not sure if anyone here used to read Digitiser in the 90's (the Video game pages on Teletext ) but today marks it's 25th anniversary. To mark it there is a new edition and there will be one every day this week:

digiindex1.png?1514630577

https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/25-years-of-digitiser-day-one

I absolutely loved Digitiser growing up so this has made me very happy. As an extra treat they've set it up so you can view it the original way you would have on your TV as well: http://teastop.plus.com:8080/?page=470

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 3

On 12/17/2017 at 11:04 AM, Happenstance said:

So those of you that have some kind of retro collection, what consoles/handhelds do you actually have?

Only just seen this, so here's mine:

Sega

Master System

Mega Drive

Mega Drive 2

Saturn x2 (1st and 2nd gen)

Dreamcast

Game Gear

Nintendo

NES

SNES

N64

GameCube x2 (Black and Pearl White)

Game Boy x2

Game Boy Pocket

Game Boy Colour x2 (Green and Cyan, possibly a third somewhere)

GBA

GBASP x3 (Normal, Tribal and NES versions)

DS

3DS

3DSXL

Sony

PS1 x2

PS1 Slim

PS2 x2

PS3

PS3 Slim

Microsoft

Xbox

Xbox 360

Misc

ZX Spectrum

NeoGeo Pocket Colour

Some photos:

Nintendo handhelds:

15025637_10157885002415341_4972182669662

Consoles:

17834777_10158579790205341_1005892569000

I wish my parents hadn't set fire to my N64 and NGC magazines without my knowledge :sad:

I always loved flicking back through them every now and again!

Also, count me in as one of the Digitiser readers growing up :grin:

Edited by nekunando
  • Sad 2

Bought a couple of items from IKEA to improve the look of my games room, happy with the result.

IMG_0641_zps0afbe7ad.jpg

IMG_0625_zpsr7klnpd5.jpg

More photos in my Retro Consoles Collection thread

• Thanks 1

http://gametyrant.com/news/retro-bit-reveals-sega-accessories

Retro-Bit are releasing Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast controllers, apparently based on SEGA's original specs so they might be pretty close to the originals. Each controller is getting a wired for its respective console, a usb connector and bluetooth versions. As well as s-video cables and a VG adapter for the Dreamcast.

Not really heard of them before so not sure what the quality is going to be like, gonna wait for some impressions and maybe get the Mega Drive and Saturn controllers.

• Thanks 1

I do want a Super NT, but it’s still well out of my price bracket for a SNES...

I was sat on the pre-order page of the Super NT for a while tonight, but can't quite bring myself to push the button. I think the decision to ship it without a controller in the box is super weird for sure, and from what Jeff was saying they're still actively patching it so I might give it a month or so after release and re-evaluate whether it's worth dropping the cash for one.

News like this always upsets me. :( 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/rares_local_video_game_store_is_closing_its_doors_after_24_years

Its such a sad state of affairs but I imagine most brick and mortar retailers are facing the same kind of issues. It's funny, I was talking to my dad over the weekend about this, just how the internet is a fantastic thing but it has also done crazy damage to a lot of things, shops being a major one.

• Sad 3

Yeah, I saw their video on the store before, looked like a great place to go.

It's very sad to see.  There really isn't much left in terms of indie B&M stores; B&M as a whole is dying (and not just in gaming either).  There's just no way to really compete, especially with games (hell even online physical is finding it difficult to compete with digital storefronts!)

A new WR has been set for SMB!

Official time: 4:56.462 - 4 frames faster than Darbian's WR

He thinks he lost 2 frames in water + 1 frame in wall jump + lag frame in 8-2

He had the fastest 8-4 of any 8-4 in a record run by at least 3 frames, so this record is nearly impossible to beat without someone incorporating another frame rule skip. The easiest frame rule remaining is 8-3 FPG, which Darbian did in his WR, but Kosmic did not do in this run because saved the time with fast 4-2 instead.

If someone can replicate this run by Kosmic while adding 8-3 FPG and fast 1-2 warp pipe (which is incredibly difficult) then that would be a 4:55.XX, and probably the lowest possible human time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7xx8i2/wr_kosmic_sets_a_new_smb_world_record/dubwvwq/

Absolutely crazy that speed runners are still managing to lower the record, even after all this time!

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

One for @S.C.G

Thanks @Hero-of-Time you know me so well. ;)

I've got it queued up now as my next video to watch. :D

*DisGonnaBeGood.gif*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

One for @S.C.G

Great watch! A shame that they didn't go into more detail about Zwei, but I'm glad they at least touched on how they did the water effects in Zwei.  I only played it (and the rest of the series) for the first time a couple of years back and those effects just utterly blew me away! There was absolutely nothing like it on any other platform of that era! Not even N64!

What a wonderful set of games! Just such a shame that they're not available on modern platforms (especially Saga, which is just stupid expensive now).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure you're all familiar with the MSU1 chip enhancements for SNES games by now; using it to replace soundtracks in SNES games with pre-recorded music and to add FMV sequences.

Well someone just did one for the SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy...

Only they've replaced the SNES soundtrack with the superior NES one :laughing:

• Haha 2

BTW, friendly reminder.  The Wii Shop channel will stop allowing you to add Wii points to make new purchases from March 26th!

There are plenty of games that are ONLY available on the Wii VC and nowhere else outside of their original platform currently! Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2/4 SNES, Castlevania Rondo of Blood (unless you want the butchered PSP version...), most of the TG16 library, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen...

Note that all import titles on the Wii VC (and ALL TG16 Wii VC games in general) are 60hz (except for import Megadrive games, they’re all 50hz for godknowswhat reason).

If you don’t want to pay £50+ for Chrono Trigger or £250+ for Castlevania Rondo of Blood, get them while you still can!!

Wii U has access to the Wii Shop Channel via the Wii menu as well! Get those exclusives while you still can!!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

BTW, friendly reminder.  The Wii Shop channel will stop allowing you to add Wii points to make new purchases from March 26th!

There are plenty of games that are ONLY available on the Wii VC and nowhere else outside of their original platform currently! Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2/4 SNES, Castlevania Rondo of Blood (unless you want the butchered PSP version...), most of the TG16 library, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen...

Note that all import titles on the Wii VC (and ALL TG16 Wii VC games in general) are 60hz (except for import Megadrive games, they’re all 50hz for godknowswhat reason).

If you don’t want to pay £50+ for Chrono Trigger or £250+ for Castlevania Rondo of Blood, get them while you still can!!

Wii U has access to the Wii Shop Channel via the Wii menu as well! Get those exclusives while you still can!!

I’m very surprised that Nintendo still hasn’t announced what they’re doing with regards to older titles/Virtual Console coming to the Switch, considering just how close it is to the end of Wii Points availability.

Definitely gives rise to a nervous group of fans who are anxious to know what’s going on with some of their favourite titles, or, adversely, some gamers who want to play these games but aren’t sure if Wii VC is a wise investment, especially in the event that Switch VC is around the corner. 

I hope they speak up about their plans for legacy titles on the Switch sooner rather than later. And part of me really hopes that it isn’t part of a Netflix-type catalogue scheme.

• Thanks 3

Good detailed look at the  Arcade Club. I hope others see how successful this has been and we start to see arcades make a comeback

• Like 1