NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Mega Drive, PS2, PSP, Vita.

I would never pick up stuff like a Turbografx or CDi as I have no nostalgia for them. Same goes for the Mega CD and 32x, although I wouldn't mind playing Shining Force CD and Knuckles Chaotix.

I watched a couple of interesting videos recently about retro game collecting and both mentioned how people can get sucked into it and end up buying stuff just for the sake of having it. One guy said he only buys stuff he actually wants to play and not stuff just to fill a collection or shelf. The guy has a point. I mean, how many retro games can you play while still keeping on top of modern stuff?

Haha. That was great. :D 

The part where they slip the Saturn game into the 360 section made me remember just how obsessive I used to be. All my DVDs and games had to be in alphabetical order otherwise it would drive me nuts. I eventually managed to brake this habit, though. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. That was great. :D 

The part where they slip the Saturn game into the 360 section made me remember just how obsessive I used to be. All my DVDs and games had to be in alphabetical order otherwise it would drive me nuts. I eventually managed to brake this habit, though. 

Yeah I used to keep my DVD collection in alphabetical order. I kept it like that when it was on the shelf but after I transferred them all to a CD wallet it was way too much hassle to have to move every single DVD along one when I got a new movie lol.

On 12/13/2017 at 8:05 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

You made anymore retro purchase lately? I always enjoying reading when people make some pick ups.

I came in from the gym this morning and then sat and binged watched a load of videos from Happy Console Gamer. I love the passion he has for the Master System. He also adores the Ys games. Despite loving JRPGs I've yet to play one.

@Ike you enjoy those games, right?

Yup. Feels a bit strange to be nostalgic for a series I first played on the Wii VC, but that was the great thing about the VC I suppose allowing you try games you missed. The music is fantastic and now I have another excuse to post some. :p

The early games aren't very long, worth trying if you're in between games.

Funnily enough, the PC games are on sale dirty cheap. https://www.gog.com/games/ys?sort=popularity&search=ys&page=1 Ys Origin has a demo on Steam. It's the only game that doesn't have Adol as the protagonist.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:36 PM, Happenstance said:

I think I'm finally gonna get around to ordering an 8Bitdo SF30 Pro with receivers as I'm playing my Retron 5 and Snes mini more.

mando-bluetooth-8bitdo-sf30-pro-switch-b

I have the non-pro version and they are very good controllers. Works with the Switch as well, would be perfect if they ever put SNES games on it. I have the wireless receiver for the SNES but I often got some latency with it, not sure if they've improved it since then. Still managed to beat Super Metroid with it.

• Thanks 1

I really wish I had enough space to have a good display setup for my consoles. They’re just hidden away at the moment :( 

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

I thought you didn't, but they are currently cheaper than the Playstation releases.

Just leaving this here... (Reveal hidden contents)

If I did end up checking out the series I would probably pick up the physical versions, even though they are more expensive. Physical >>> Digital for me.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I really wish I had enough space to have a good display setup for my consoles. They’re just hidden away at the moment :( 

I tend to just break them out whenever I get in the mood for some retro gaming, otherwise they just stay boxed away. If I did ever decide to display them then it would be something like this.

09bc949c48a1d53a9b51b6dc15e91657--consol

I love that kinda setup. It looks so tidy and clean.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I tend to just break them out whenever I get in the mood for some retro gaming, otherwise they just stay boxed away. If I did ever decide to display them then it would be something like this.

Yep, that's exactly the kind of setup I want.

Someone remade the Bramble Blast level from DKC 2:

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Someone remade the Bramble Blast level from DKC 2:

When I saw this yesterday I was in awe. I love how it looks and as a huge fan of the original I never thought I’d want a remake. 

Until now...

• Like 1

CM7ioHa.jpg

My GPD XD arrived today. All the games seem to work really well on it so far. Only ones I still need to work on are the Saturn and 3DO games and I think that’s just because I need to put them in a different folder. I’m currently downloading a load of my Humble Bundle purchases and can’t wait to try KOTOR on it. I’ve been trying to play through that again and keep running into issues.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2017 at 1:37 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

All I will say is check out my Retro Consoles Collection thread next week.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:04 AM, Happenstance said:

So those of you that have some kind of retro collection, what consoles/handhelds do you actually have?

Are PS3, 360 and Wii U classed as retro?

Anyway...

NES, SNES (x2), N64 (x2), GameCube (x3 - Black, Silver & Purple), Wii, Wii U, Original Gameboy, DS Lite

Master System 2, Mega Drive 1 (x2), Mega Drive 2 (x2), Mega CD 2, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast

PS1, PS1 Slim (Faulty), PS2 (x2), PS2 Slim, PS3

3DO (Faulty CD Drive)

Atari Jaguar

Xbox (x2), Xbox 360 (x2)

Trying to get spares of as many of my retro consoles as possible. They won't last forever,

24 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Are PS3, 360 and Wii U classed as retro?

Yeah I counted them for mine.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

CM7ioHa.jpg

My GPD XD arrived today. All the games seem to work really well on it so far. Only ones I still need to work on are the Saturn and 3DO games and I think that’s just because I need to put them in a different folder. I’m currently downloading a load of my Humble Bundle purchases and can’t wait to try KOTOR on it. I’ve been trying to play through that again and keep running into issues.

I've never been a fan of emulation when it comes to retro gaming. For me, the satisfaction comes from playing the games on the original hardware. The feelings of nostalgia comes from picking up the original joypad and seeing the games run on the consoles they were originally on.  

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I've never been a fan of emulation when it comes to retro gaming. For me, the satisfaction comes from playing the games on the original hardware. The feelings of nostalgia comes from picking up the original joypad and seeing the games run on the consoles they were originally on.  

I'm usually the same but the issues Ive been having lately with my original stuff is whats pushing me towards the GPD. I like owning the original stuff but the ease of use is becoming more and more important.

On 29/12/2017 at 12:02 PM, S.C.G said:

That looks absolutely amazing! Basically looks like an official GBC remaster!

BTW, thought this was interesting...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/kotaku-vintage-game-retailers-say-nintendo-64-was-the-hottest-christmas-product.13471/

Apparantly the N64 has received a resurgence of popularity over this Xmas in the US, being the most popular retro console by far!

How long till the N64 mini now ;) 

• Thanks 1

I'm at my parents house over New Year and I've got some old N64 magazine stuff to get rid of.

Would anybody here want any of it? Right now I've got a load of old game guides and cheat books for the N64 and Gamecube era, but I think I've also got a few issues of the magazine in the attic.

Would there be any interest? I don't want any money for any of it. Its going in the bin otherwise, so I'd just maybe ask for some money for postage if you fancy them.

If there's interest, I can take some photos and let you know exactly what's there.

24 minutes ago, bob said:

I'm at my parents house over New Year and I've got some old N64 magazine stuff to get rid of.

Would anybody here want any of it? Right now I've got a load of old game guides and cheat books for the N64 and Gamecube era, but I think I've also got a few issues of the magazine in the attic.

Would there be any interest? I don't want any money for any of it. Its going in the bin otherwise, so I'd just maybe ask for some money for postage if you fancy them.

If there's interest, I can take some photos and let you know exactly what's there.

I would most certainly be interested. :)

I would most certainly be interested.
Well I popped into the loft and couldn't find the magazines (I suspect they may have gone to the recycling centre without my knowledge) but here is the collection of 'extras'. They're all in reasonably good quality.

I can't be bothered to catalogue it, so you can either pick out what you want from the pictures or I can bundle all of it up? 6478092aaf996f22b8635804217362ca.jpg04c684dd13c70fdb09113a6cb9ec5ede.jpg
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bob said:

Well I popped into the loft and couldn't find the magazines (I suspect they may have gone to the recycling centre without my knowledge) but here is the collection of 'extras'. They're all in reasonably good quality.

I can't be bothered to catalogue it, so you can either pick out what you want from the pictures or I can bundle all of it up?

I'd be interested in all of the extras pictured please Bob. :)

Quite a lot of that I don't have, some of it will be put to good use and some of the other guides my brother will likely be interested in. :D

It will be cool to have that GameCube launch video again, I'm sure I had it but can't think what happened to it plus that blue DK64 case is something that I've wanted for a while.

Let me know how much you'd like for postage when you get a chance  and I'll PayPal you the money, I think you have my address from when I purchased Overwatch from you, let me know if you need it again though.

Cheers for this. :peace: