NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I have my Wii hooked up via component and all of my Wii and GC games look great :hehe: You'll never go back to composite!

Which cable do you use? I tried to play Rogue Leader last night and although it was playable there was a lot of issues so I think i'll definitely be upgrading to component.

Which cable do you use? I tried to play Rogue Leader last night and although it was playable there was a lot of issues so I think i'll definitely be upgrading to component.

I have the official Wii Component Cable but I see no reason why a cheaper alternative wouldn't also produce great results :smile:

I have the official Wii Component Cable but I see no reason why a cheaper alternative wouldn't also produce great results :smile:

Thanks for the advice man, I just ordered a cheap unbranded cable from eBay that has had a number of positive reviews so will report back on what it's like in a few days time.

Currently tempted to get a Framemeister, but it's pretty expensive.

I bought a cheap component cable on eBay (£3.98 incl postage) and it has made a huge difference to the picture quality. Text was really blurry on Rogue Leader & Wave Race with the standard Wii cable but with the new cable everything looks crisp and sharp.

I bought a cheap component cable on eBay (£3.98 incl postage) and it has made a huge difference to the picture quality. Text was really blurry on Rogue Leader & Wave Race with the standard Wii cable but with the new cable everything looks crisp and sharp.

I knew you'd be delighted with the outcome :hehe: I'm really happy it turned out well for you!

Decided to take stock of all my non-handheld consoles. 22 including duplicates. Not bad if I do say so myself.

I had a minor freakout when I couldn't find my Dreamcast. Turns out I hadn't unpacked it when we moved house, even though I'm sure I had played it in the new house. It was also sat alongside my SNES, which I hadn't noticed was also missing.

2017-04-10%2020.54.49_zpslpmavbew.jpg

That white Gamecube is so sexy I might just have sex with it.

Think I might have to get all of mine out in the next few days. It would be nice to try and sort them out a bit and stored properly.

That white Gamecube is so sexy I might just have sex with it.

Why do think I put them all on the bed?

I'll spare the details, but I will say Sega does what Nintendon't, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Goafer

So close to buying a 3DO at the moment. I did put an offer in on a bundle this morning but it looks like they sold to someone else.

My 3DO arrived today!

C9zGKTPXgAAWtW0.jpg

A console I've never owned, always liked the design, have been curious about but never enough to purchase.

Having said that, I do own a Phillips CDi though and I know which one I'd prefer to own. :p (Hint it's not the CDi)

I might even sell it now that I don't own the rarest game for it any more... yep, Zelda's Adventure... too expensive for a game which isn't very good to keep in my collection, sold it nearly two years ago, ploughed the money back into my collection and never looked back.

Seriously though, that 3DO looks really cool. :)

What other games are you planning on getting for it? Wing Commander III is a solid first choice though, did you get it because of Mark Hamil's role in it out of interest? :D

A console I've never owned, always liked the design, have been curious about but never enough to purchase.

Having said that, I do own a Phillips CDi though and I know which one I'd prefer to own. :p (Hint it's not the CDi)

I might even sell it now that I don't own the rarest game for it any more... yep, Zelda's Adventure... too expensive for a game which isn't very good to keep in my collection, sold it nearly two years ago, ploughed the money back into my collection and never looked back.

Seriously though, that 3DO looks really cool. :)

What other games are you planning on getting for it? Wing Commander III is a solid first choice though, did you get it because of Mark Hamil's role in it out of interest? :D

I already have Wing Commander III on PC so I know its a decent game anyway which is why I got it. But Mark Hamill was part of that original purchase yes lol.

A few other cheap games came with it, the usual Fifa and Madden stuff you get with every ebay console!

I've got Shock Wave 2 and Return Fire on the way.

After that I'll get the big ones like The Need For Speed and Road Rash but I love crappy FMV games so I'm going to be keeping an eye out for those.

CEX had a copy of the Dreamcast version of Shenmue II. If I had a working Dreamcast I would have jumped on it. They also had a oxed Secret of Mana, for £90 but the box was pretty beat up.

I remember reading all the hype about the 3DO at the time. They made it sound so much better than the existing consoles, I genuinely believed it was the future.

@Happenstance have you watched the Giant Bomb stream they done of the Saturn yet? I started watching it over the weekend and have been slowly picking away at the 3 hour long show. What i've seen of it has been great and really got me in the mood to buy a Saturn. I should really stop watching retro gaming content, as it's not healthy for my wallet. :D

@Happenstance have you watched the Giant Bomb stream they done of the Saturn yet? I started watching it over the weekend and have been slowly picking away at the 3 hour long show. What i've seen of it has been great and really got me in the mood to buy a Saturn. I should really stop watching retro gaming content, as it's not healthy for my wallet. :D

Yeah I watched about half of it. I can't stand Matt Rorie at GB though and he was quite active during that stream so I had to take a break from watching it lol.

I used to go round @Goafer house as a kid and play his Saturn. Not my favourite console but got some good memories from it.

I did have a bid on a Saturn last month but didn't win. Once I've got some extra money to spare I might have another try, see if I can find someone selling a nice bundle.

Yeah I watched about half of it. I can't stand Matt Rorie at GB though and he was quite active during that stream so I had to take a break from watching it lol.

Was he the guy with glasses that was sitting on the right? I found him to be pretty annoying and smug.

I haven't followed GB for a while and I only recognised Brad and Jeff. Has everyone else left?

I'm about halfway through the stream now. I'm still enjoying it but it is a little weird. I was hoping there would be more banter about the games and system but there's only Jeff who's talking about them. Brad is kinda just sitting there and the other two guys have left the room. I never really watch gaming streams ( only watching this as it randomly popped up on Youtube and I love me some Saturn ) and doubt I will delve into it further if this is how they go. :D

Was he the guy with glasses that was sitting on the right? I found him to be pretty annoying and smug.

I haven't followed GB for a while and I only recognised Brad and Jeff. Has everyone else left?

I'm about halfway through the stream now. I'm still enjoying it but it is a little weird. I was hoping there would be more banter about the games and system but there's only Jeff who's talking about them. Brad is kinda just sitting there and the other two guys have left the room. I never really watch gaming streams ( only watching this as it randomly popped up on Youtube and I love me some Saturn ) and doubt I will delve into it further if this is how they go. :D

Drew has left and started his own traveling/gaming patreon. Dan moved to the New York office so is now with Alex and Vinny. Basically GB East is the more entertaining of the two offices and GB West tends to be a bit more serious but probably more knowledgeable. It's not a bad mix, you just have to know which shows are worth watching.

They just made the first episodes from a few premium shows free on YouTube, it's probably worth checking them out. The Shenmue endurance run is also a good way to see the New York office at its best.

As a huge Saturn fanboy I've started watching through that GB stream. I quite like watching the games but the discussion is a little bit distracting. It's basically Jeff (who admittedly I'm not a huge fan of anyway) talking about games and answering questions from the others, quite often incorrectly. I quite like the guy at the back, but the rest of them remind me of being at terrible industry parties that you just can't wait to get away from.

I'll keep watching just to see if there is anything in there I'm not familiar with, but it's not easy.

Just watched Jeff play X-Men vs Streetfighter. Man, the Capcom 2D fighters on the Saturn were amazing. I remember being stuck with the PSOne versions of the games as I couldn't afford to get my Saturn modded or import the VS series from Japan. :(

Yeah there really were some nice 2D fighters on the Saturn.

I also had a soft spot for Virtual On. One of the rare mech games I actually liked.

Yeah there really were some nice 2D fighters on the Saturn.

I also had a soft spot for Virtual On. One of the rare mech games I actually liked.

Have you played Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast? That's a great mech beat-em-up.

Same. I'm not really a big mech fan, but Virtua On is surprisingly fun! I think it's the arcade style gameplay structure that hooks me with it.

I remember reading all the hype about the 3DO at the time. They made it sound so much better than the existing consoles, I genuinely believed it was the future.

In some ways it actually was though. Sure, the idea of a standardised console that was manufactured by lots of different companies didn't pan out, but the idea of a console being a multimedia hub certainly did. Also the idea of a console being largely driven by western 3rd parties, in conparison to first party studios and Japanese developers on other platforms, was surprisingly prophetic!