NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

An interesting delve into the history of the Croc series...

...though I mainly watched it for the Nintendo/Argonaut stuff.

It certainly adds some perspective to the history of the 3D platformer.

I tried to get into Croc a few years ago when I was building up my PS1 library but I didn't get particularly far. It was awful :hmm:

I don't own it anymore but I never knew there was a history with Nintendo associated with the development of the game :eek:

So I finally got to Gran Pulse in FF XIII, and apparently there is an open world, which looks much more interesting. But apparently, my system disagrees with something, and I experience crashes.. :(.

But still in the mood for some JRPGs, I decided to boot up the old GameCube for some Tales of Symphonia. The motor seems to be dead.

:(

The Game Sack guys have done an episode all about the original Xbox.

Seeing Soul Calibur 2 running in 720p is glorious.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I set up my RaspberryPi 3 with RetroPie. It's glorious : peace:

Over the holidays I'll pick up my bluetooth keyboard so I can configure WiFi (my current keyboard has a PS/2 port and I don't have a USB adapter) and some more settings.

I hope I'll be able to set up my DS3 via bluetooth, as well. :)

Edit: Tried some games and they all run like a charm :D Super Mario Bros. on the NES is too fast, though. No idea why. Will have to figure this out some time later.

Edited by drahkon

RetroPie is awesome. I got mine setup and got a ROM pack of every Mega Drive and SNES game, so I'm pretty much set for 16 bit goodness.

May get a few GBA games on there too. Fancy some Megaman Battle Network.

@Goafer, I have an issue with Super Mario World and input lag. Both the SNES and GBA versions suffer from input lag and I have no idea why...can't seem to find any help via google so I just wanted to ask if you have the same problem.

No other game on any system suffers from input lag so no idea why this happens. I've tried several "versions" of the game but nothing helps.

If I run the game via an emulator on my PC it works fine. ::shrug:

Edit: Talking about RetroPie, of course :D

Edited by drahkon

Using my DS3 with a wired connection reduces the input lag. It is weird, though, because I've tried that numerous times before with no change at all. ::shrug:

Must be magic.

Brilliant stuff! Watching it got me itching to play some Halo so I fired the One up and started to install the Master Chief Collection. It should installed by the time DF do their Halo 2 retro feature. :D

I'm on a bit of a retro gaming kick again this weekend it seems. I've already bid on a GBA SP bundle and a Sega Saturn bundle so far and now im scouring ebay for snes and mega drive games.

A fascinating story about an "Arcade Raid" on a ship. :)

https://arcadeblogger.com/2016/05/06/arcade-raid-the-duke-of-lancaster-ship/

dol11.jpg

Essentially, an arcade made on a ship, had to close in 1983, loads of arcade cabinets found there in mostly prime condition, some reall rare ones I'd never heard of either. :D

As far as I know all of them were rescued and purchased by enthusiasts but it's just the way the story comes together as the arcade machines were almost all chucked! :woops:

It's from a few months or so ago but recent in relative terms, the story was linked to in a game group and I just thought I'd share a link to it here as it's a good weekend read. : peace:

That's an awesome story. I used to be into Urbex a few years ago and I'd love to explore that place. Not sure I'd do it though, as old boats terrify me for some reason. Maybe because they don't have foundations and I always worry they could tip.

I'm confused as to what that setup is... does a TV go on that table?... and if so, you have to reach behind the TV to put the game in. If not, that's one huge reach across.

I'm confused as to what that setup is... does a TV go on that table?... and if so, you have to reach behind the TV to put the game in. If not, that's one huge reach across.

I had assumed it was basically like a coffee table in the middle of the room and the tv is on the stand behind it.

Trying to setup my PS3 on my retro TV but I cant find plug. The ridiculous amount of gaming cables and plugs I have in boxes and not one is the right kind!

Edit: Found it. Turns out I had a lot more cables than I thought!

Edited by Happenstance

Keen on playing some GameCube games that I missed now that I've finished Zelda but my brother gave away his controllers years ago so I've had to invest in one from ebay. It arrived today and seems to work alright but it's a little dirty. I'm going to be playing GC games through my Wii and after hooking it all up to test the controller out I realised that it looks like garbage on an HDTV through the standard Wii cable. Does anyone have experience with the Wii to HDMI adapter or cheap Wii component cables? I think I could play the games as it is now but if I can improve my experience with a cheap adapter or cable then i'll happily wait a week or so before diving into GC.

Edited by killthenet

Keen on playing some GameCube games that I missed now that I've finished Zelda but my brother gave away his controllers years ago so I've had to invest in one from ebay. It arrived today and seems to work alright but it's a little dirty. I'm going to be playing GC games through my Wii and after hooking it all up to test the controller out I realised that it looks like garbage on an HDTV through the standard Wii cable. Does anyone have experience with the Wii to HDMI adapter or cheap Wii component cables? I think I could play the games as it is now but if I can improve my experience with a cheap adapter or cable then i'll happily wait a week or so before diving into GC.

I have my Wii hooked up via component and all of my Wii and GC games look great :hehe: You'll never go back to composite!