NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Todays SNES delivery. Should have more arriving later in the week (plus I'm still checking eBay daily so probably more to bid on!)

CvmmQeLWIAAGECD.jpg

Unirally killed my SNES binge earlier in the year :hmm:

If you figure out how to get scores in the trick stages let me know as I tried for ages and couldn't do it :nono:

Finally got around to setting up my bedside table as a retro gaming station!

20161019_163222.jpg20161019_162856.jpg

Absolutely brilliant! I love that you've got it so organised and neat (that little bit of OCD in me!) and it just looks a great set up. #jealous

Just watched the latest DF Retro on Metroid Prime

It's a good watch and a nice throwback, but there's one bit they highlight that I actually never knew...

There's actually a cut version of the intro narration, hidden on the Pre-release Demo Disc files, voiced by Jennifer Hale as Samus!

687474703a2f2f7669676e65747465322e77696b69612e6e6f636f6f6b69652e6e65742f7072657474796c6974746c656c696172732f696d616765732f662f66622f5468655f6d6f72655f796f755f6b6e6f775f62616e6e65722e6a70672f7265766973696f6e2f6c61746573743f63623d3230313331323234323333303333

Edited by Dcubed

There's actually a cut version of the intro narration, hidden on the Pre-release Demo Disc files, voiced by Jennifer Hale as Samus!
That video was great! thanks for sharing :)

I can't remember the voiced into in the PAL version, I need to play that game again sometime.

Jennifer Hale isn't actually voicing Samus herself though... not unless she talks about herself in the third person. I like the dialogue to setup the game though!

That video was great! thanks for sharing :)

I can't remember the voiced into in the PAL version, I need to play that game again sometime.

Jennifer Hale isn't actually voicing Samus herself though... not unless she talks about herself in the third person. I like the dialogue to setup the game though!

Well she does actually provide the voice for Samus' grunts and groans in all 3 Metroid Prime games, so presumably, it was meant to be a similar kind of intro narration as seen in Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission.

Metroid Prime is really weird for localisation and version changes. The original PAL release added its own narration (different from the cut one), but then that narration was cut from the Player's Choice re-release and also from the Wii version.

There's LOADS of little differences between regions and even different versions within the same region! Here's a snippet of some of the key differences, it's really interesting!

Off to London Gaming Market today.

Time to see how much SNES games have gone up in the last few months and play "Spot the Book Off price stickers on the Japanese games"!

I think I might try and connect my Gamecube up to my retro tv with the Retron 5. Everytime I connect it up to the main TV it just tends to be in the way so gets disconnected before I can play games properly. I was in the middle of playing Twin Snakes last time and I'd like to get back to playing the GC Animal Crossing daily as its still my favourite.

NeoGaf were celebrating the 15 year anniversary of the original Xbox last week. Reading through the thread was very nostalgic.

@S\.C\.G, do you guys happen to collect the original Xbox stuff? I'm quite tempted to start building up a collection, especially as the games are stupidly cheap when compared to other retro consoles/games.

I did used to have a load of Xbox games but that was during the "naughty" era of consoles where getting games for free wasn't so hard :p

I think the only Xbox game I actually own these days is Shenmue 2.

I did used to have a load of Xbox games but that was during the "naughty" era of consoles where getting games for free wasn't so hard :p

I think the only Xbox game I actually own these days is Shenmue 2.

Flithy pirate! :p

NeoGaf were celebrating the 15 year anniversary of the original Xbox last week. Reading through the thread was very nostalgic.

HERE

I have a lot of great memories with this console. Off the top of my head...

• Playing Phantasy Star Online and Halo 2 until crazy hours in the morning.
  • Nearly having a 24 hour straight session on WWE Raw with my mates.
  • Playing various games with my own music being played from the console.
  • Being finally able to play Championship Manager on a games console!

Happy times.

I started watching various collectors videos on Youtube and reading different articles about the console. I already knew about the different types of disc drives and which to avoid but I never knew about the later versions of the console and how it messed with the visuals in games like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Gun Valkyrie.

Looking back at the console it really did have an amazing selection of exclusive games. Conker Reloaded, Halo, Halo 2, Brute Force, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT, Steel Battalion, Kung Fu Chaos ( I adored this game), WWE Raw, WWE Raw 2, House of the Dead 3, Crazy Taxi 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Otogi, Otogi 2, Galleon, Amped, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Spikeout.....It goes on and on.

Happenstance, Guy, S.C.G, do you guys happen to collect the original Xbox stuff? I'm quite tempted to start building up a collection, especially as the games are stupidly cheap when compared to other retro consoles/games.

That's a pretty neat thread, I'll have to check it out in more detail sometime as I also didn't know about the visuals issue with later Xbox models in either Panzer Dragoon Orta or Gun Valkyrie and I own both titles plus I only got an Xbox when the Crystal model went into production meaning you could get the machine with Outrun 2 along with some other games for £99.99! :D

Perhaps it was a Sega thing? Both games were developed by Smilebit so it would add up... but do you know what saddens me? A lot of these excellent titles just aren't playable unless you hook up the original machine so as such I haven't been able to play either of those two titles for many years. :(

I have recently thought that Microsoft are clearly missing a trick because while they are slowly making the Xbox 360 library backwards compatible with the Xbox One which is of course fantastic, I'm sure they could get away with actually selling us original Xbox games again recoded for the system for say... £8.99 per title? I know I would buy all the games I wanted to play digitally again for that price. ;)

Especially if this console generation is just going to continue... the Xbox One will be around for a long time yet surely so it would make sense, especially with this anniversary! Has this approach been discussed in the Gaf thread out of interest? I was just wondered if they had already talked about the viability of it - Xbox original games on Xbox One - much like the Switch has got me wondering about the possibility of GameCube VC games. :love:

Anyway, in answer to your question... Yes I do indeed have some original Xbox games, obviously the ones in my collection I'm going to want to keep but I certainly have some doubles and some ones I would be willing to just sell. I can't vouch for all of their conditions off the top of my head but I'm sure I have some ones in good, clean and presumably working order but actually testing certain titles would be a problem for the ones which aren't backwards compatible but by all means; if you have any titles you are after then let me know or I could get around to getting all the Xbox original titles I have together and take some pictures for you to look at. : peace:

Some of them I have already got sorted into boxes as I was in two minds whether to sell any from my collection that I don't want anymore but now that I know you're potentially interested in collecting them I will give you first refusal on them of course as you've helped me out before a fair few times which I'm grateful for. :)

Also, it's good to see you about a bit more on here again. :grin:

I have recently thought that Microsoft are clearly missing a trick because while they are slowly making the Xbox 360 library backwards compatible with the Xbox One which is of course fantastic, I'm sure they could get away with actually selling us original Xbox games again recoded for the system for say... £8.99 per title? I know I would buy all the games I wanted to play digitally again for that price. ;)

If I remember right the backwards compatibility on 360 with Xbox games never proved all that popular and just kind of fizzled out. Maybe they are taking that as an indicator that people aren't all that interested?

If I remember right the backwards compatibility on 360 with Xbox games never proved all that popular and just kind of fizzled out. Maybe they are taking that as an indicator that people aren't all that interested?

That may be true but I really hope this isn't the case, also it feels that with this generation we are in a new era of gaming where it's possible to have loads of games spanning almost entire generations of console history on one machine and where there is money to be made from more niche titles as there's enough of a cult following to justify it in addition to potential new buyers as well. :)

I really hope that Microsoft will see the benefit in it, I'm not talking about the entire original Xbox library here but more like the best fifty to one hundred games on the system, it could happen... I hope. :hmm:

That's a pretty neat thread, I'll have to check it out in more detail sometime as I also didn't know about the visuals issue with later Xbox models in either Panzer Dragoon Orta or Gun Valkyrie and I own both titles plus I only got an Xbox when the Crystal model went into production meaning you could get the machine with Outrun 2 along with some other games for £99.99! :D

Yeah, I found the whole thing very interesting. Check out this site for the full details and to see what version Xbox you have. It's a great read.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42971

Especially if this console generation is just going to continue... the Xbox One will be around for a long time yet surely so it would make sense, especially with this anniversary! Has this approach been discussed in the Gaf thread out of interest? I was just wondered if they had already talked about the viability of it - Xbox original games on Xbox One - much like the Switch has got me wondering about the possibility of GameCube VC games. :love:

It does seem a bit weird, especially as MS are talking about how they are putting in the effort to keep the 360 legacy alive on the One. It would be great to see the first generation of Xbox games make a return on the newer platform.

Gaf did talk about it but it may have been in a different thread. Possibly the 360 backwards compatibility thread. Saying that, it surely would have come up in the OT for the original Xbox.

HERE

Anyway, in answer to your question... Yes I do indeed have some original Xbox games, obviously the ones in my collection I'm going to want to keep but I certainly have some doubles and some ones I would be willing to just sell. I can't vouch for all of their conditions off the top of my head but I'm sure I have some ones in good, clean and presumably working order but actually testing certain titles would be a problem for the ones which aren't backwards compatible but by all means; if you have any titles you are after then let me know or I could get around to getting all the Xbox original titles I have together and take some pictures for you to look at. : peace:

My intention wasn't for you guys to offer me any spares, just more that I was curious about any games and setups you guys had collected for the original Xbox. Thanks for the offer though. : peace:

Original Xbox was a beast of a console.

Built up a small collection of games for it last few years for very little money.

WP_000318_zpsadozht6w.jpg

The S controller is up there with the gamecube controller for that gen, been trying to get a few more controllers off eBay but the prices have skyrocketed. They go for between £10-15 recently.

It also has a fantastic MAME emulator which is incredibly easy to get running on it.

Edited by lostmario

I was just thinking about the Buffy games on Xbox the other day. Pretty sure Buffy and Oblivion were my first two games that came with my Xbox when I bought it.

I still have a soft spot for the Duke controller. :D

You should keep an eye out for the original Buffy game. It was the better of the two and it was exclusive.

The games are crazy cheap for the thing. You can get a lot of the games for under a fiver. The other day someone on eBay was selling all the Splinter Cell games for £7.00!

Finally downloaded FF XIII a few days ago (all 50 Gigs). I'm 23 hours in. When does the fun start? :p

Edit: I dunno if FF XIII is considered retro.

Finally downloaded FF XIII a few days ago (all 50 Gigs). I'm 23 hours in. When does the fun start? :p

About 24 hours in.

About 24 hours in.

I will hold you personally accountable if it doesn't ;).

I'm about to infiltrate a ship. With the few things I Googled, I think I'll be finally heading to Gran Pulse afterwards, which hopefully will make things more interesting. Getting a bit tired of corridor after corridor and button-mashing every battle (only a slight exageration).