NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I came across this brilliant video on Gaf. The guy takes a good look at the DCK series. Well worth a watch.

An amazing interview on Super Mario 64 which has been lovingly translated from Japanese to English by someone over at http://shmuplations.com/ which seems like a really awesome site as it sounds like it started out as just shmup translations but has branched out recently thanks in part to Patreon.

One choice part from the translation...

—Hugging the penguins, catching the rabbits… I loved all the little details you added that weren’t directly connected to the main game. It made me really happy to finally catch the rabbit—I walked around with him, tried releasing him… I played around with that for awhile.

Miyamoto: At first Mario was able to throw the rabbit too. (laughs) If we had another month, we could have added an animation where Mario tosses the rabbit by the ears… but we hit our time limit. I wanted to do it though.

Tezuka: I wanted to have more monkeys, too. In an earlier version of the game, we had them in more areas, and you could chase them around.

Miyamoto: If there were 3 of them together, they’d taunt Mario.

Tezuka: Yeah, and if Mario caught one of them, he could toss them off of a really high cliff. (laughs) I regret we weren’t able to do more with the monkeys.

Disclaimer - while I'm not promoting the hurling of cute animals through the air and off high geometric locations, within the context of Super Mario 64 the idea is quite hilarious. (laughs) :laughing:

Anyway, you can find the link below, I read it from start to finish and really enjoyed it. :)

http://shmuplations.com/mario64/

I went to York yesterday so I went to check out the retro store there. It's a pretty decent sized store, a mix of PAL and Japanese games & consoles mostly.

I was in back home in York last weekend and I looked EVERYWHERE for this shop and couldn't find it. I was stood outside it according to Google Maps but it was just an empty retail unit with workmen redecorating the interior. Is it actually on Gillygate or has it moved?

I was in back home in York last weekend and I looked EVERYWHERE for this shop and couldn't find it. I was stood outside it according to Google Maps but it was just an empty retail unit with workmen redecorating the interior. Is it actually on Gillygate or has it moved?

Yeah, it's nor far from York Art Gallery. but it's not obvious where it is. The sign outside said "The Six String", they had a Storm Trooper and some old toys in the windows with some consoles, I didn't realise that was the place until I went in.

Use this Google Map link and it'll show you the store

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.9631597,-1.0851946,3a,75y,312.06h,79.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slNREjkRzkpWSNu77D2VtRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Holy crap!!!

How the hell did I not know this? How has this remained a secret for so long!? :o

OK yeah that's amazing to be discovered just now. Presumably intentionally programmed in rather than being a glitch of some sort - love little things like that coming to light ages later!

I was at a wedding today but due to not mingling well with people I spent a considerable amount of time on my phone :red:

Anyway, I somehow got to thinking about how I only have 3 N64 controllers but despite not needing a 4th (I probably only need 1 these days, if anything :blank:) I seem to have started to desire replacing my 'black', grey and clear purple controllers with a red, green, yellow and blue combination!

I've already ordered a green and yellow (though the condition is unknown..) and I'll order the others based on how it goes.

Boredom is DANGEROUS :eek:

I've already ordered a green and yellow (though the condition is unknown..) and I'll order the others based on how it goes.

Boredom is DANGEROUS :eek:

I ended up ordering a couple of good looking controllers this morning in red and blue :red:

Hopefully they all arrive in acceptable condition and then I can take the best control sticks and insert them into the 4 coloured controllers I wish to keep, though I may keep my grey and black controllers too, solely for Mario Party :grin:

latest?cb=20090630182207&path-prefix=en

That picture has always been the dream :heh:

I'll just leave this video here...

:heh:

latest?cb=20090630182207&path-prefix=en

That picture has always been the dream :heh:

The dream has finally come true :hehe:

I received all of my coloured N64 controllers on Thursday and have since taken each of them apart, given them all an intensive clean and moved the control sticks around so that all the best ones are in my favourite colours :grin:

It may be a little sad but just looking at them hooked up to the console brings out some great feelings of joy and I had a blast testing them all out on ISS 98 this afternoon :yay:

I was looking through eBay again today to find some new SNES games and I realised I didnt know if I actually own half of them or not. I think I have some lists on a website or two but I have no idea how accurate anymore. Tomorrow I'm gonna have to get them all out and list them properly again.

I'm also tempted to steal my old tv back from the spare room and set up a dedicated spot for retro gaming. At the moment with my Retron 5 being connected to the same tv as my current consoles it just gets lost in the sea of unfinished games.

A really fantastic, insightful and well put together video here, some of it you may already know about but it's worth watching.

It just hit home again for me just how much we should be thankful for from within Nintendo.

Hiroshi Yamauchi - Satoru Iwata - Gunpei Yokoi

Gone but not forgotten.

:heart:

I was looking through eBay again today to find some new SNES games and I realised I didnt know if I actually own half of them or not. I think I have some lists on a website or two but I have no idea how accurate anymore. Tomorrow I'm gonna have to get them all out and list them properly again.

I'm also tempted to steal my old tv back from the spare room and set up a dedicated spot for retro gaming. At the moment with my Retron 5 being connected to the same tv as my current consoles it just gets lost in the sea of unfinished games.

Right I'm going to post them here so I have an easy place to refer back to them:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Super Metroid

Super Probotector: Alien Rebels

Chrono Trigger

Super Mario World

Super Mario Kart

Lemmings 2

Mega Man X

Super Mario All Stars

Illusion of Time

Starwing

Tetris Battle Gaiden

Super Tetris 2

Super Tetris 3

Edited by Happenstance

Had a sort out of my collection today. My GTA, Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy collections were previously still in a box from when we moved house and I kept them there because I didn't have a spare shelf to display them as whole collections. I've decided now that I'm not too bothered about keeping them together, as the different box sizes across the series' was a bit scruffy, so I've decided to merge them into the relevant console collections. Managed to get them all onto the shelf after a bit of re-arranging.

I finally attached the shelf to the unit under my PC desk, so this has now become the storage space for all my handheld/SNES games (at least the ones I could find), so that's tidied things up a bit too.

The current collection area:

2016-10-16%2017.29.06.jpg

A really fantastic, insightful and well put together video here, some of it you may already know about but it's worth watching.

It just hit home again for me just how much we should be thankful for from within Nintendo.

Gone but not forgotten.

Ah man, right in the feels :(:(:(

Gone but not forgotten.

I watched this in bed the other night and it really makes you feel just how much of a loss Iwata really is to Nintendo.. and us :sad: I don't feel as confident at the moment with Kimishima in charge but hopefully the NX reveal will brush those fears aside!

Finally got around to setting up my bedside table as a retro gaming station!

How are you liking the Retron hardware? I'd love to get one to play some Japanese games with English patches - Super Famicom games are a thousand times cheaper than PAL/NTSC stuff.

I've always been really happy with it. Haven't tried any patch stuff yet but I do have a couple of Super Famicom games that work fine. Got my niece upstairs at the moment playing Super Mario All Stars.

Finally got around to setting up my bedside table as a retro gaming station!

20161019_163222.jpg20161019_162856.jpg

My heart just melted a little bit :love::heart:

Todays SNES delivery. Should have more arriving later in the week (plus I'm still checking eBay daily so probably more to bid on!)

CvmmQeLWIAAGECD.jpg

Todays SNES delivery. Should have more arriving later in the week (plus I'm still checking eBay daily so probably more to bid on!)

CvmmQeLWIAAGECD.jpg

Good man! Amazing game. :bowdown: