NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Just got back, was pretty great. Much better than Comic Con for gaming stuff.

My haul:

IMG_20160703_134634.jpg

Super Famicon, was labeled as £60 but he knocked it down to £55. Bit yellow'd so I'll have to clean it up. Box is in decent shape.

IMG_20160703_134640.jpg

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Chrono Trigger

Dragon Quest V

Dragon Quest II

Star Wing

Dragon Quest IV (kinda surprised to find this tbh)

Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest III

Dragon Quest I

Was surprised the Dragon Quest games were pretty common actually. I would have liked the US versions, but most of the games there were either PAL or Japanese. I guess because they are easier to source?

Honestly, I could have bought more, considering getting a PS1 to play Dragon Warrior VII on and was tempted to buy a Gameboy/Color/Advance for no reason, but that would mean carrying them home and I decided to walk/take the Metro.

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_123142.jpg

IMG_20160703_123135.jpg

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_120441.jpg

(I'll resize the pics if people want)

Didn't really care about playing the consoles/arcades, can do that at home, but was cool seeing the Panasonic Q Gamecube in person.

A lot of people were after Sonic games for some reason.

Deffo going back next year and take the car. My arms and legs are killing. I must have looked terible. :laughing:

£55? did that include all the games too? because if it did we should report yu to the local police! someone just got mugged

Just got back, was pretty great. Much better than Comic Con for gaming stuff.

My haul:

IMG_20160703_134634.jpg

Super Famicon, was labeled as £60 but he knocked it down to £55. Bit yellow'd so I'll have to clean it up. Box is in decent shape.

IMG_20160703_134640.jpg

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Chrono Trigger

Dragon Quest V

Dragon Quest II

Star Wing

Dragon Quest IV (kinda surprised to find this tbh)

Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest III

Dragon Quest I

Was surprised the Dragon Quest games were pretty common actually. I would have liked the US versions, but most of the games there were either PAL or Japanese. I guess because they are easier to source?

Honestly, I could have bought more, considering getting a PS1 to play Dragon Warrior VII on and was tempted to buy a Gameboy/Color/Advance for no reason, but that would mean carrying them home and I decided to walk/take the Metro.

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_123142.jpg

IMG_20160703_123135.jpg

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_120441.jpg

(I'll resize the pics if people want)

Didn't really care about playing the consoles/arcades, can do that at home, but was cool seeing the Panasonic Q Gamecube in person.

A lot of people were after Sonic games for some reason.

Deffo going back next year and take the car. My arms and legs are killing. I must have looked terible. :laughing:

£55? did that include all the games too? because if it did we should report yu to the local police! someone just got mugged

Your pics won't load on my phone @Ike but I'm glad you got something out of the event. Sadly, I didn't really care for it. The arcade selection was pretty poor ( needed stuff like Turtles and Virtua Cop games there ) and I felt a lot of the traders really overpriced their stuff.

As I collector I'm willing to pay top dollar for stuff that is mint. Most of the stuff there had worn boxes yet they were still charging an arm and a leg for the games. I mean, I seen Majora's Mask bring sold for close to £100 yet the box was worn. I paid 40 odd on eBay for a mint copy.

There was a cracking stall at the far end of the hall, though. They had stuff like a 64DD, brand new GBAs and Pokemon Centre GBAs for sale. They weren't priced up, which was for the best as I could have been tempted, especially by the 64DD.

Like you I was happy to get to see a Panasonic Q in person. :D I need to own one of those!

Your pics won't load on my phone @Ike but I'm glad you got something out of the event. Sadly, I didn't really care for it. The arcade selection was pretty poor ( needed stuff like Turtles and Virtua Cop games there ) and I felt a lot of the traders really overpriced their stuff.

As I collector I'm willing to pay top dollar for stuff that is mint. Most of the stuff there had worn boxes yet they were still charging an arm and a leg for the games. I mean, I seen Majora's Mask bring sold for close to £100 yet the box was worn. I paid 40 odd on eBay for a mint copy.

There was a cracking stall at the far end of the hall, though. They had stuff like a 64DD, brand new GBAs and Pokemon Centre GBAs for sale. They weren't priced up, which was for the best as I could have been tempted, especially by the 64DD.

Like you I was happy to get to see a Panasonic Q in person. :D I need to own one of those!

Nah. Probably did but I'm not too bothered. Just noticed it's missing the video cable which is annoying.

Yeah, which is why I didn't get as much. Passed on a copy of Dragon Quest Monsters for the GBC because the label was badly worn. Some SNES games had no label so who knows what they were. One Chrono Trigger box looked like it had tea/coffee spilt on the box.

I didn't see the 64DD, but just noticed it in one of my photos that I took of the Pokemon Centre GBAs. Also just noticed the copy of Yangus Dragon Quest dungeon crawler game I also missed.

Nah. Probably did but I'm not too bothered. Just noticed it's missing the video cable which is annoying.

Yeah, which is why I didn't get as much. Passed on a copy of Dragon Quest Monsters for the GBC because the label was badly worn. Some SNES games had no label so who knows what they were. One Chrono Trigger box looked like it had tea/coffee spilt on the box.

I didn't see the 64DD, but just noticed it in one of my photos that I took of the Pokemon Centre GBAs. Also just noticed the copy of Yangus Dragon Quest dungeon crawler game I also missed.

Since being at that retro show i've been spending a lot of time on Ebay just looking at old gaming stuff. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

It was funny being at that show. I went with 2 of my nephews (21 & 9) and it was hilarious seeing what each of us thought as old games. I was looking at the NES/SNES era, the oldest nephew was looking as PS2/GameCube/ stuff and the youngest one that was with me was looking at 360 games. Dat generation difference. :D

@Ike have you ever been to That Retro Game Shop in Grainger Market? I think they had a stall at the event. I'm just wondering if they are any good.

Since being at that retro show i've been spending a lot of time on Ebay just looking at old gaming stuff. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

It was funny being at that show. I went with 2 of my nephews (21 & 9) and it was hilarious seeing what each of us thought as old games. I was looking at the NES/SNES era, the oldest nephew was looking as PS2/GameCube/ stuff and the youngest one that was with me was looking at 360 games. Dat generation difference. :D

@Ike have you ever been to That Retro Game Shop in Grainger Market? I think they had a stall at the event. I'm just wondering if they are any good.

Yeah, being at the event made me wonder how much my collection is worth. Especially since they were selling games that I own for £40+.

I backed up my Super Famicom games using my Retrode. Just waiting for the AV cable to arrive. Might pick up an upscaler as well since I don't own a CRT and don't really have the room.

If it's where I think it is, then yeah, just over a year ago was the last time I had been.

They didn't really have much in at the time, the shop was pretty small and they mostly sold DVDs from what I remember. They did have some consoles and accessories across the walls. i think he wanted something like £70 - £80 for a SNES. It might have changed now, it's only open during the weekdays which makes it a pain to visit.

Looks like there's a retro store opened in York (Sore Thumb Retro Games) who were at the event, not really local but nice to finally have somewhere nearby.

Yeah, being at the event made me wonder how much my collection is worth. Especially since they were selling games that I own for £40+.

I backed up my Super Famicom games using my Retrode. Just waiting for the AV cable to arrive. Might pick up an upscaler as well since I don't own a CRT and don't really have the room.

If it's where I think it is, then yeah, just over a year ago was the last time I had been.

They didn't really have much in at the time, the shop was pretty small and they mostly sold DVDs from what I remember. They did have some consoles and accessories across the walls. i think he wanted something like £70 - £80 for a SNES. It might have changed now, it's only open during the weekdays which makes it a pain to visit.

Looks like there's a retro store opened in York (Sore Thumb Retro Games) who were at the event, not really local but nice to finally have somewhere nearby.

I got a RGB scart cable and copied @Hero\-of\-Time and got the upscaler he mentioned.

IMG_20160712_182420.jpg

Any good?

Weird thing is if I plug the scart directly into my TV the picture shakes. Not sure if it doesn't like the Super Famicom or the scart connection is dodgy and I never noticed.

I got a RGB scart cable and copied @Hero\-of\-Time and got the upscaler he mentioned.

IMG_20160712_182420.jpg

Any good?

Weird thing is if I plug the scart directly into my TV the picture shakes. Not sure if it doesn't like the Super Famicom or the scart connection is dodgy and I never noticed.

A really interesting video which celebrates the 30th anniversary of Doki Doki Panic.

More than that though, it details the history of Yume Kōjō, something I knew nothing about.

So if you're interested in Japanese culture, technology and videogame history then this is well worth a watch.

: peace:

Gaf highlighted this yesterday.

I've watched a couple of other videos from him now and they are great. I sat and watched his video about the Megadrive Aladdin game while having my tea last night. Well worth a watch.

Gaf highlighted this yesterday.

I've watched a couple of other videos from him now and they are great. I sat and watched his video about the Megadrive Aladdin game while having my tea last night. Well worth a watch.

Yeah, Kim's channel is brilliant. Her documentaries come particularly recommended!

That should get you started :)

That should get you started :)

Despite owning and growing up with a C64, i've never been interested in the history of that, the Amstrad or the Spectrum. Probably because I have too many memories of tapes taking ages to load, the screeching loading sound, the game crashing and then having to rewind the tape and start again. :D Crazy to think just how far we've come.

I did watch his video about the Nintendo vs Sega battle in Europe. That was some good viewing.

After the buzz over the US version of the 64 DD being uncovered this week, I decided to take a look on eBay to see how much a Japanese DD costs, as I've always intended to buy one and holy Christ the prices have inflates since I last checked. I swear I remember seeing them for £100 - £200 tops, now you're lucky to get one for less than £500, it's unbelievable how much retro prices can inflate, but I guess in the DD's case there were so few of them that prices are only likely to continue to rise.

After the buzz over the US version of the 64 DD being uncovered this week, I decided to take a look on eBay to see how much a Japanese DD costs, as I've always intended to buy one and holy Christ the prices have inflates since I last checked. I swear I remember seeing them for £100 - £200 tops, now you're lucky to get one for less than £500, it's unbelievable how much retro prices can inflate, but I guess in the DD's case there were so few of them that prices are only likely to continue to rise.

Yeah, it is a bit nuts. Myself and lostmario were talking about the 64DD the other day and discussing just how much they cost now. There was one at a stall at that retro convention that I went to last month. I really should have asked how much they were selling it for.

A big problem with retro prices is simply that people are more aware of how much their goods are worth. The likes of ebay have made it very hard to get a good bargain, as people can simply look at what they've got, check on their smart phone what kind of price they are going for and then price their item accordingly.

It's not only the hardware that is rapidly going up in price but also the software as well. Certain games are now costing a small fortune and are going up in price at an alarming rate. Again, ebay is kind of screwing collectors over.

Say there's one guy with a large amount of cash that wants a game really fast and money is no object. He could buy a game for a stupidly high buy it now price and then all those who sell the same game after this sale can see that the game recently sold for this amount. They then price their game at the same price or higher and the prices keep going further and further up.

A recent example i've seen of this is Shining Force 3 on the Sega Saturn. At the start of the year you would see it for around £100-£110 buy it now price. Now the game is sometimes listed at £150-£170. It's bonkers.

I watched these over the weekend.

I didn't really care much for the DF video. It was far too short. The CGQ ones were great, though. :bowdown:

I didn't really care much for the DF video. It was far too short. The CGQ ones were great, though. :bowdown:

Have you been watching and keeping up to date with the other

videos? I think they are good and worth a watch. : peace:

Have you been watching and keeping up to date with the other
videos? I think they are good and worth a watch. : peace:

Nah. They are either too short or the games they are looking at don't interest me.

Nah. They are either too short or the games they are looking at don't interest me.

I know what you mean though they are pretty informative if you ever have a spare fifteen mins.

I just watched this and the way he pronounces F-Zero is sickening. :shakehead

A video detailing the history of Mode 7 and F-Zero's impact on the industry at its original time of release.

A video detailing the history of Mode 7 and F-Zero's impact on the industry at its original time of release.

Great video. Jeremy Parish continues to do God's work.

@Hero\-of\-Time

I went to York yesterday so I went to check out the retro store there. It's a pretty decent sized store, a mix of PAL and Japanese games & consoles mostly. Prices were pretty much the same as when they were at NERG though. I think he was selling a boxed Super Metroid for something like £110. He also had a Panasonic Q Gamecube, though I forgot to ask how much it was.

Found a copy of the original Dragon Warrior for NES.

IMG_20160827_141651.jpg

Interestingly CEX had a copy of one of the Banjo games for the N64, boxed and pretty good condition for £32.