NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

TBH, you're not helping your argument when you resort to listing The Bouncer in your wall of PS2 fame :p

Also psst... The GTA games and Onimusha were also on Xbox and PC... They were better there ;)

I love The Bouncer. That and Onimusha were why I bought a PS2 at the time.

I know fine well that the GTA games were on the Xbox but it wasn't always the case. You would have had to wait a while to play them on that console. We may as well just disregard a lot of games if we are pulling the port card. I'm talking about at the time the PS2 had a cracking list of exclusive games that offered a diverse line up.

Wii U > PS2

Deal with it :awesome:

No need to deal with it. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. No matter how crazy, flawed, stupid, nuts, ridiculous, insane, funny, ludicrous it may be. :D

No need to deal with it. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. No matter how crazy, flawed, stupid, nuts, ridiculous, insane, funny, ludicrous it may be. :D

You forgot 'correct' :heh:

You are no longer my apprentice :grin:

I know that the PS2 hardware is said to be unreliable, but my 15 year old system still works as well as it did when I got it - and that's after several years gathering dust in the loft. I might just be lucky, but the laser hasn't conked out on me yet - I'm looking into getting the HDD attachment for it though and ripping the games i'm most interested in playing, apparently it's much faster than playing off the DVD.

As someone who has never played any PS2 titles outside of GTA, Tony Hawks and FIFA, I'm really looking forward to playing through some of the classic titles. I've never played Metal Gear Solid before, so I started playing the PS1 version last night and I'm really enjoying it so far, the controls are a bit fiddly, but the dialogue is hilarious and it has a really great atmosphere.

The annoying thing is that if I get hooked on Metal Gear, I'm going to have to buy a PS3 so I can play the 4th one. Would be so much easier if the PS4 could play PS3 games seeing as I'm planning to get one of those anyway.

Edited by killthenet

I know that the PS2 hardware is said to be unreliable, but my 15 year old system still works as well as it did when I got it - and that's after several years gathering dust in the loft. I might just be lucky, but the laser hasn't conked out on me yet - I'm looking into getting the HDD attachment for it though and ripping the games i'm most interested in playing, apparently it's much faster than playing off the DVD.

As someone who has never played any PS2 titles outside of GTA, Tony Hawks and FIFA, I'm really looking forward to playing through some of the classic titles. I've never played Metal Gear Solid before, so I started playing the PS1 version last night and I'm really enjoying it so far, the controls are a bit fiddly, but the dialogue is hilarious and it has a really great atmosphere.

The annoying thing is that if I get hooked on Metal Gear, I'm going to have to buy a PS3 so I can play the 4th one. Would be so much easier if the PS4 could play PS3 games seeing as I'm planning to get one of those anyway.

Well it kinda can via the PS Now service. @Fierce_LiNk is currently using the service to play through all the games he missed by being a Wii only owner. By all accounts he's having a hell of a time playing through the back catalogue.

The annoying thing is that if I get hooked on Metal Gear, I'm going to have to buy a PS3 so I can play the 4th one..

The first one is my favourite by a long way :smile:Sons of Liberty plays similarly, from what I remember, and is probably why I like it a lot too but the series starts to evolve after that and deviates from what I enjoyed about the first two. With Snake Eater proving to be a bit of a disappointment for me personally and the quality of Guns of the Patriots fluctuating throughout, my apathy towards my one and only run through of Ground Zeroes means The Phantom Pain has failed to pique my interest.

I'm not sure if, or when, I'll ever get around to buying it :heh:

Well it kinda can via the PS Now service. @Fierce_LiNk is currently using the service to play through all the games he missed by being a Wii only owner. By all accounts he's having a hell of a time playing through the back catalogue.

I sure am.

By the way, Ico is amaaaaaaaazing. I had a fantastic time recently playing it through for the first time. I bet I would've rated it even higher had I grown up with it.

I didn't really give the Sony consoles much thought in the past due to being a rabid Nintendo fan(boooy). It's nice being able to go back and enjoy the stuff I missed out on.

I'm back living with my parents now where the internet is only 6mb, so I don't think PS Now would be an option. I've just been thinking that I may as well get a PS3 to play the HD-remasters of the PS2 games I want to play anyway, I think most of the ones I want have been remastered. Will probably be better off financially in some cases too, Ico & Shadow Of The Colossus HD is about £20 on ebay - would be paying more than that for Shadow Of The Colossus on PS2 alone.

There's a reason many think the PS2 was the king and still the console to beat. Not my fault you have shoddy/limited taste in games. :heh:
Filthy casuals the lot of them ;)

Played Pokemon Snap from start to finish this evening. Such a great little game.

Will I need a step down converter for a Super Famicom? If so, any recomendations?

I finally got around to buying a new composite cable to hook up my N64 and GameCube to the TV and so I have witnessed first hand how awful the N64 looks on an HDTV. Everything is so bright and washed out, it looks horrendous. Do you guys have any tips for getting a decent image out of the N64 on a modern TV?

I'll probably buy myself a CRT at some point, but I was just wondering if you guys had solved similar issues in the past.

I finally got around to buying a new composite cable to hook up my N64 and GameCube to the TV and so I have witnessed first hand how awful the N64 looks on an HDTV. Everything is so bright and washed out, it looks horrendous. Do you guys have any tips for getting a decent image out of the N64 on a modern TV?

I'll probably buy myself a CRT at some point, but I was just wondering if you guys had solved similar issues in the past.

The N64 naturally outputs a dull and blurry image. Your best bet on a HDTV would be to turn down the brightness and contrast and put a very small amount of sharpness on (only like 10-20% ish - remember that sharpness on an LCD is artificial and should be set to 0% normally, but the N64 is a bit of a special case in that regard, so put a little on but don't go overboard).

You may need to turn the saturation down a bit as well, depending on your settings/N64 region (at least if it's an NTSC N64, you'll definitely want to!)

Not sure where to ask this so I'll just abuse this thread:

Does anybody here have experience with 8Bitdo controllers? I've looked around for reviews about the Zero GamePad and most seem quite good, except for some that state connectivity issues. So I'd love to hear impressions from someone who owns a controller from 8Bitdo.

Does anybody here have experience with 8Bitdo controllers? I've looked around for reviews about the Zero GamePad and most seem quite good, except for some that state connectivity issues. So I'd love to hear impressions from someone who owns a controller from 8Bitdo.

I have a NES30 and SFC30 gamepad from them and they are fantastic, really close to the official controllers. I've got mine linked to my Raspberry Pi for use with Retropie.

The Zero looks too small to me, but they've put out a few firmware updates for the NES30 and SFC30 so I imagine it's the same for the Zero which might resolve some of the issues.

Picked up a few cheap N64 games in Japan. Cost about £20 for six of them - probably wouldn't have found one of them for less than that in PAL - got Banjo-Tooie, Kirby 64, DK64, all 3 Mario Parties and Neon Genesis Evangelion 64. The latter is a graphics showcase but it plays like garbage.

I had the FC30 PRO and it was really nice, I've sampled the others too and they're all really nice good quality devices. The one thing to note is that they're not MFI compliant, so if you plan to use it with an iPhone/iPad beware it has a VERY limited list of compatible games. I returned mine for that reason alone.

The one thing to note is that they're not MFI compliant' date=' so if you plan to use it with an iPhone/iPad beware it has a VERY limited list of compatible games.[/quote']

I don't own anything made by Apple so that's not an issue for me :D

I think I might save up for a SF30 or a NES30 PRO instead of getting the Zero GamePad.

@Ike i'm not sure if you're interested but the North East Retro Gaming event is back this weekend at Gateshead. My nephew gave me a heads up about it last night. He went last year and had a great time.

http://www.northeastretrogaming.com/

Thanks, I might go check it out.

Might be a dumb question, but do they have stalls that sell retro games?

Thanks, I might go check it out.

Might be a dumb question, but do they have stalls that sell retro games?

I asked my nephew the same thing when he went last year. :) Yeah, he said there were loads of stalls selling retro goods. I think on the website it shows a bunch of traders who will be there.

I asked my nephew the same thing when he went last year. :) Yeah, he said there were loads of stalls selling retro goods. I think on the website it shows a bunch of traders who will be there.

Just got back, was pretty great. Much better than Comic Con for gaming stuff.

My haul:

IMG_20160703_134634.jpg

Super Famicon, was labeled as £60 but he knocked it down to £55. Bit yellow'd so I'll have to clean it up. Box is in decent shape.

IMG_20160703_134640.jpg

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Chrono Trigger

Dragon Quest V

Dragon Quest II

Star Wing

Dragon Quest IV (kinda surprised to find this tbh)

Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest III

Dragon Quest I

Was surprised the Dragon Quest games were pretty common actually. I would have liked the US versions, but most of the games there were either PAL or Japanese. I guess because they are easier to source?

Honestly, I could have bought more, considering getting a PS1 to play Dragon Warrior VII on and was tempted to buy a Gameboy/Color/Advance for no reason, but that would mean carrying them home and I decided to walk/take the Metro.

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_123142.jpg

IMG_20160703_123135.jpg

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_120441.jpg

(I'll resize the pics if people want)

Didn't really care about playing the consoles/arcades, can do that at home, but was cool seeing the Panasonic Q Gamecube in person.

A lot of people were after Sonic games for some reason.

Deffo going back next year and take the car. My arms and legs are killing. I must have looked terible. :laughing:

Just got back, was pretty great. Much better than Comic Con for gaming stuff.

My haul:

IMG_20160703_134634.jpg

Super Famicon, was labeled as £60 but he knocked it down to £55. Bit yellow'd so I'll have to clean it up. Box is in decent shape.

IMG_20160703_134640.jpg

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Chrono Trigger

Dragon Quest V

Dragon Quest II

Star Wing

Dragon Quest IV (kinda surprised to find this tbh)

Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest III

Dragon Quest I

Was surprised the Dragon Quest games were pretty common actually. I would have liked the US versions, but most of the games there were either PAL or Japanese. I guess because they are easier to source?

Honestly, I could have bought more, considering getting a PS1 to play Dragon Warrior VII on and was tempted to buy a Gameboy/Color/Advance for no reason, but that would mean carrying them home and I decided to walk/take the Metro.

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_123142.jpg

IMG_20160703_123135.jpg

IMG_20160703_115146.jpg

IMG_20160703_120441.jpg

(I'll resize the pics if people want)

Didn't really care about playing the consoles/arcades, can do that at home, but was cool seeing the Panasonic Q Gamecube in person.

A lot of people were after Sonic games for some reason.

Deffo going back next year and take the car. My arms and legs are killing. I must have looked terible. :laughing: