NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Prefers retro games to modern titles - Check

Supports Liverpool - Check

Massive Bloc Party fan - Undecided

You're getting there. With a bit of work, you could turn into his fine apprentice.

Haha.. I'm becoming more of a retro Bloc Party fan :heh: I haven't even come close to purchasing the latest album as I feel like I'm not really going to enjoy it, sadly :hmm:

As with games, though, a lot of modern music leaves a bit of a sour taste :indeed:

Just bought a Japanese N64, £20.00, gonna clip those tabs off and open up a world of NTSC joy.

(Japanese Smash Bros has the best box and label art)

Edited by Guy

I'm feeling slightly worried tonight that after playing Skies of Arcadia for an hour or so, I decided to wind down with a blast through the arcade mode of Virtua Striker 2. It went fine until the end of the first match and then the Dreamcast went back to the main menu. I haven't been able to get the game to work since :shakehead

Hopefully it'll all be fine again in the morning but it's a little scary :hmm:

I'm feeling slightly worried tonight that after playing Skies of Arcadia for an hour or so, I decided to wind down with a blast through the arcade mode of Virtua Striker 2. It went fine until the end of the first match and then the Dreamcast went back to the main menu. I haven't been able to get the game to work since :shakehead

Hopefully it'll all be fine again in the morning but it's a little scary :hmm:

If the disc is... less than perfect, you'll need to clean it, try with a dry cleaning cloth first, then use a disc wipe or something similar remembering to clean any residue left from it.

Your disc should read fine after this :) there are more drastic methods for if you have a really deep scratch on the disc but I wouldn't recommend them unless the disc surface is really bad.

Though I would imagine the disc is in perfect condition isn't it? If so... and if it starts doing the same thing with other perfect condition games, then I would fear the worst for your Dreamcast. :sad:

Certain games might just have issues being read by your DC's laser though, could be as simple as that, I don't want to worry you for no good reason but I just thought I'd share my experiences. : peace:

Tonight I ended up playing some Street Fighter III Double Impact as I replaced a non-working disc with a working one so I could sell my double of it, needless to say though I ended up testing it thoroughly which involved playing through the main mode as Ryu from start to finish... you know, just to make sure. :heh:

Great game and an excellent replacement for Street Fighter V on the PS4 which I'm not touching until more content becomes available. :blank:

If the disc is... less than perfect, you'll need to clean it, try with a dry cleaning cloth first, then use a disc wipe or something similar remembering to clean any residue left from it.

Your disc should read fine after this :) there are more drastic methods for if you have a really deep scratch on the disc but I wouldn't recommend them unless the disc surface is really bad.

Though I would imagine the disc is in perfect condition isn't it? If so... and if it starts doing the same thing with other perfect condition games, then I would fear the worst for your Dreamcast. :sad:

Certain games might just have issues being read by your DC's laser though, could be as simple as that, I don't want to worry you for no good reason but I just thought I'd share my experiences. : peace:

Tonight I ended up playing some Street Fighter III Double Impact as I replaced a non-working disc with a working one so I could sell my double of it, needless to say though I ended up testing it thoroughly which involved playing through the main mode as Ryu from start to finish... you know, just to make sure. :heh:

Great game and an excellent replacement for Street Fighter V on the PS4 which I'm not touching until more content becomes available. :blank:

The game came with my second hand Dreamcast in 2008 and although it isn't entirely perfect, there's nothing I see that would really prevent it operating correctly. Having said that, Rez has been a problem in the past and it is spotless :heh:

I played NHL 2K afterwards and it worked no problem

After testing Virtua Striker 2 again, It eventually started but I got booted back to the menu upon selecting Arcade Mode. A couple of further attempts resulted in a very bad sound coming from the console as it tried to read the disc.. but you know what? It worked flawlessly from there on :smile:

Hopefully this is just a one-off..

I received 18 Wheeler for Dreamcast yesterday but got to try it out this morning. As soon as I was about to start racing, the system rebooted. It happened again the next time I tried so I put in a different game and the console just kept resetting repeatedly :hmm:

Is this the end for my Dreamcast? I've been absolutely loving it this year but I'm concerned about how it has been behaving recently! I watched a video on YouTube about how to clean one of the connectors inside the console to hopefully fix the problem, if it persists, but I dread the thought of having to replace it :sad:

I received 18 Wheeler for Dreamcast yesterday but got to try it out this morning. As soon as I was about to start racing, the system rebooted. It happened again the next time I tried so I put in a different game and the console just kept resetting repeatedly :hmm:

Is this the end for my Dreamcast? I've been absolutely loving it this year but I'm concerned about how it has been behaving recently! I watched a video on YouTube about how to clean one of the connectors inside the console to hopefully fix the problem, if it persists, but I dread the thought of having to replace it :sad:

It can usually be fixed by pushing a pin down, but in my experience it's only a temporary fix...

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to one of mine. Had to replace it...

My display for Tetris...

29uq042.jpg

Very nice indeed : peace: Well played :grin:

Without wanting to tempt fate, I played the Dreamcast problem free for a couple of hours this evening after taking it apart yesterday and giving it a quick clean inside. I've ordered some isopropyl alcohol in case it reoccurs, though, as I'm currently playing in fear of losing significant progress, especially during Skies of Arcadia :eek:

2ak03zb.jpg

Haven't played this, or any Paper Mario in fact. But looking forward to giving it a go sometime!

A few more N64 additions...

rm04dd.jpg

I've had a PlayStation 2 since about 2001, but most of what I played on the system was Tony Hawks games so I'm looking to branch out a bit and play some proper story based titles, any recommendations? Obviously going to pick up Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus and Metal Gear Solid, but looking for other games of that ilk.

I've had a PlayStation 2 since about 2001, but most of what I played on the system was Tony Hawks games so I'm looking to branch out a bit and play some proper story based titles, any recommendations? Obviously going to pick up Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus and Metal Gear Solid, but looking for other games of that ilk.
I'm don't know much about the PS2 unfortunately, but for story driven games I'd have thought God of War 1 & 2, Okami (play the Wii or PS3 HD version), Devil May Cry series, Final Fantasy, the Ratchet/Jak/Sly games, Rogue Galaxy.

I've always considered the PS2 to be one of the most overrated consoles ever made but that could be due to me associating some of the games more with the Gamecube, where I played stuff like Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Splinter Cell.

While I played, and enjoyed, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in recent years, they both suffer from imprecise controls that dampened the experience.

If it wasn't for perhaps Gitaroo Man and PES 6, I'd consider selling my PS2 as it doesn't hold a special place in my heart while the games I do appreciate are available on either GC or PS3. In fact, if you're interested in something like Odin Sphere or the Devil May Cry trilogy, give me a shout :smile:

Edited by nekunando

Yeah I stopped playing SotC just over halfway through. It was just getting a bit too repetitive for me, and I kind of stopped enjoying the Colossi fights somewhat. The horse controls weren't great. Beautiful game though. Some of those early Colossi fights were stunning.

PS2 is one of my least favourite consoles of all time. Tons of mediocre games and most of the good ones were better elsewhere (and the few that weren't, have pretty much all been re-released on PS3 now in superior form - granted, I can't really ding it for that, but still...)

Hardware is godawful too! Ridiculously unreliable, crappy loading times and just generally pretty gross to look at and even touch! Yuck! The slim one is much better of course, but it still feels really cheap and flimsy. Just not a nice machine all round.

I'd generally say that Sony's consoles got worse over time, but the PS3 was a much nicer piece of hardware for the time at least; so it does have that going for it. Its exclusives sucked balls for the most part (save a few exceptions like LBP, Warhawk and the God of War games); though it redeems itself by being the place to play the PS1 library and remasters of the PS2's best games.

The PS1 library is still by far the best that any Sony console has ever had, but I suppose you can chalk that down to the direction the industry headed as a whole :heh:

Edited by Dcubed

The only PS2 game I own is Shadow of the Colossus. I had a copy of Journey of the Cursed King once too but I let someone borrow it and never saw it again. It's true to say most of the best PS2 games have since been ported to better hardware.

The controller is awful too, I can't believe it took Sony four generations to start getting the Playstation pad right.

PS2 is one of my least favourite consoles of all time. Tons of mediocre games and most of the good ones were better elsewhere (and the few that weren't, have pretty much all been re-released on PS3 now in superior form..)

Pro Evolution Soccer was the main thing the PS2 had that I wanted but I didn't own the system until the late 2000s, or around then I think. By that stage, the system had even less appeal but I couldn't turn it down for the price I paid :heh:

The Gamecube and Dreamcast were much more interesting to me while the original XBOX is probably the most disgusting console I ever played. PS2 isn't that bad but it just isn't particularly desirable either..

while the original XBOX is probably the most disgusting console I ever played..

Funnily enough, the original Xbox is actually more useful to own today than an Xbox 360. It has far more exclusive games that aren't available anywhere else and MS' pathetic attempt at BC with the Xbox on the 360 is so glitchy and unreliable that it's not really worth bothering with.

Hell it'll probably end up with more exclusives than the Xbone as well when all is said and done :laughing:

Pro Evolution Soccer was the main thing the PS2 had that I wanted but I didn't own the system until the late 2000s, or around then I think. By that stage, the system had even less appeal but I couldn't turn it down for the price I paid :heh:

The Gamecube and Dreamcast were much more interesting to me while the original XBOX is probably the most disgusting console I ever played. PS2 isn't that bad but it just isn't particularly desirable either..

You take that back! The Xbox was a beast. Playing Halo 2 online was a revelation and being able to chat with friends while playing Phantasy Star online was amazing. While I may have fallen out of love with the brand, I'm thankful for Microsoft for entering the business and pushing online gaming.

PS2 was amazing. DMC series, Onimusha series, Final Fantasy X and XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, God Hand, God of War series, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicles, Time Crisis, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil Outbreak 1&2, The Bouncer, Grand Theft Auto 3 & VC & SA, Mark of Kri....I could go on. You crackers be crazy.

I could go on..

You could go on listing overrated titles that don't really appeal to me but I'm glad you stopped :heh:

As for the XBOX, the look, feel and interface all make me feel ill. Absolutely horrible :nono:Halo just isn't as good as people think, either :wink:

You could go on listing overrated titles that don't really appeal to me but I'm glad you stopped :heh:

As for the XBOX, the look, feel and interface all make me feel ill. Absolutely horrible :nono:Halo just isn't as good as people think, either :wink:

There's a reason many think the PS2 was the king and still the console to beat. Not my fault you have shoddy/limited taste in games. :heh:

There's a reason many think the PS2 was the king and still the console to beat. Not my fault you have shoddy/limited taste in games. :heh:

TBH, you're not helping your argument when you resort to listing The Bouncer in your wall of PS2 fame :p

Also psst... The GTA games and Onimusha were also on Xbox and PC... They were better there ;)

Edited by Dcubed