NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Fancy sharing some of the list? I may be able to help you out as I've been trying to clean up my collection a little recently by selling on a few games that I know were never really for me..

Sure, i've only just started building the Gameboy Advance list and one or two Gamecube titles. So here goes

Gameboy Advance (Console)

Metroid Fuson

Metroid Zero Mission

Super Mario Advance

Sonic Advance

Star Wars: Rouge Squadren II

Starfox Adventures

That's how it stands at present, it's sure to change over the coming days.

Very funny honest StarFox64 trailer.

@Hero\-of\-Time @Goron_3 @Serebii and whoever loves N64!

Yes very funny...but....

Jesus Christ, Starfox needs representation on the Wii U...:(

It makes me hanker for a new one, I cannot believe how long it has been since we last had a home console Star Fox...

Yeah, I do think it could work again with the added fidelity HD gaming brings to the table as well as the opportunity to have bigger explosions/more dialogue/content and orchestrated music. The best thing would be online dogfights as well as DLC of new planets after release. The myths of StarFox is huge. Maybe they'll wait until StarWars is out again? I say that as they could release it on the back of the space saga becoming popular once again.

Either way - I do miss the franchise but think it perhaps peaked with StarFox64. How the hell do you better that?

..and whoever loves N64!

You better have tried to '@Mention' me :hehe: There probably aren't many who love the N64 more than me : peace:

As for the video, I didn't actually find it that funny, though it's always great to see Lylat Wars in action :yay:

We really do need a new Starfox game on Wii U! It's almost criminal that we haven't seen a home console entry since 2005 with Starfox Assault, so please give us a glimpse of something at E3 2014, Nintendo :smile:

I'd be perfectly happy if a new game followed the single player structure of previous games but wouldn't it be amazing if you could actually play through the campaign in 2-4 player co-op and be able to select between Fox, Falco, Slippy and Krystal (assuming they would want some female representation in addition to the retirement of Peppy :indeed:)

Perhaps there could even be different objectives that each member would have to carry out, something which the CPU could take care of for ships not controlled by the players, meaning that each of the 4 players would have their own part to play in each level whilst everyone blasts their way through the bad guys. It would also open up the possibility of having a different experience in single player by having different things to do in each level depending on what character you have selected to play as (effectively quadrupling the size of the game.. sort of :grin:)

A simple example would be something like Falco's mission being to take down a large enemy boss in part of a level whilst Fox would be shooting down enemies that were trying to prevent Falco from taking down the boss. Whatever character you selected would be what you take care of in that level and would provide some great teamwork in multiplayer :hehe: Whilst that was going on, maybe Slippy would be working on unblocking a path to the next area and Krystal would perhaps be collecting power ups to give to Falco in order to finish off the boss!

I want it to happen so bad :bouncy:

Edited by nekunando

Either way - I do miss the franchise but think it perhaps peaked with StarFox64. How the hell do you better that?

More of the same but increase the scope and scale would be a good start.

I think the on rails sections need to be much faster - you're supposed to be flying these state of the art space combat fighters and yet you float through the worlds at pedestrian speeds. It needs a kick up the butt.

The levels need to be bigger and more dynamic - cause and effect. Can I blow up a building to have it collapse on ground units or what if I blow a giant ship out of the sky, what can it take down with it. Are there water storage areas that can be used to flood enemies or put out fires that lead to benefits. Destroying enemy passages ways to prevent reinforcements. If you take the independance day level, you can have multiple giant ships targetting different bases that are providing certain levels of support and then the level has a strategy element as you try to protect the sections that offer most use, etc.

All range mode needs to be more interesting. Some levels would be on rails with a all range boss but why can't they start on rails, have a bit section battle in all range and then swap back to rails and carry on. Levels need to offer more choices and side missions of sorts that can take you off the main path to face mini bosses and the like.

A character section process that doesn't necessarily have to change the attributes of your craft, but it determines the path you take through a level would be great. It would be nice on levels like Titannia if I had the option of taking the Landmaster or Arwing with either the AI or a friend playing the other roles. Having complete freedom to choose any combination of vehicle sounds great on paper but it would be a nightmare from a game design perspective and would probably end up being worse as a result even if the potential is there. But if my character choice was the deciding factor, it would be a lot easier. And that feeds in to the multiplayer angle too with online co-op where everyone is doing something slightly different. Heck, it could have five player online with someone controlling the Great Fox on the gamepad that has a whole different gameplay style to the Arwings - that Great Fox bit being able to be done in a local campaign multiplayer mode too.

Basically, there is tons of stuff you could do with it but it an important part is striking the right balance between complexity, diversity and immediacy.

Gonna sort and test my retro collection today I think. Its looking a bit of a mess after my eBay obsession the other week

Bvuqj5UIcAEedYR.jpg:large

Gonna sort and test my retro collection today I think. Its looking a bit of a mess after my eBay obsession the other week

Bvuqj5UIcAEedYR.jpg:large

This picture upsets me greatly. I would cry if all my games were just tossed in a box. :(

They were all neatly packed into those boxes until I got the Retron 5 and wanted to test certain things, then I started buying all the stuff from ebay and then my Niece was over for a lot of the week and wouldnt stop playing the Lion King lol.

Dont worry though, its all tidy again now.

Was playing Smash Bros Melee earlier on today... A sweet reminder of a much more humble era, where games were so much simpler to make and play.

Makes me sad to think that we still don't have GCN games on the VC for newcomers to pick them up and discover them easily :(

Edit: Heh, pretty funny reading Nando's plea for Starfox Wii U at E3 2014, just a month before it actually happened :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

Edit: Heh, pretty funny reading Nando's plea for Starfox Wii U at E3 2014, just a month before it actually happened :laughing:

It doesn't really feel like it happened :heh: I'll look forward to seeing it properly for the first time, though : peace:

As for the Wii U VC, it's pretty awful :hmm: To be honest, I'm content with what I have on Wii in that regard so can only see myself downloading VC games in future if they'll work across home and handheld consoles. Portable SNES, N64 and GC games is a tantalising prospect..

They were all neatly packed into those boxes until I got the Retron 5 and wanted to test certain things, then I started buying all the stuff from ebay and then my Niece was over for a lot of the week and wouldnt stop playing the Lion King lol.

Dont worry though, its all tidy again now.

How is the Retron 5? Does it run the games accurately?

Anyone else play (and fall in love with) this gem back on the NES?

gfs_84887_2_10.jpg

Only complaint so far is that sometimes it doesn't recognise the carts the first time you put them in but that's not all that big of a deal. Other than that it seems to be running the games perfectly.

Anyone else play (and fall in love with) this gem back on the NES?

gfs_84887_2_10.jpg

I played it more on C64, but yeah... :love:

Still think the C64 version sounds the best. :hehe:

SID Chip 4eva! :yay:

Only complaint so far is that sometimes it doesn't recognise the carts the first time you put them in but that's not all that big of a deal. Other than that it seems to be running the games perfectly.

That's probably more to be due to the carts being old/dirty rather than the Retron. I would hope. It plays any region right?

That's probably more to be due to the carts being old/dirty rather than the Retron. I would hope. It plays any region right?

It hasn't managed to play my Super Famicom games yet but both PAL and NTSC have worked fine.

The wireless controller that comes with it isn't great but as all the systems original pads work then that doesn't matter all that much. The wireless pad is fine for games like Chrono Trigger where you don't have to keep making quick, precise movements.

I put together a little review of it on my new blog when I got mine. When I wrote that, I hadn't tested a lot of games with it yet (since I don't own a lot of original cartridges), mainly just Gameboy Advance stuff. Everything I've thrown at (which still isn't a lot, but I've tested a few more NES and SNES games) has worked fine (although, there was a bit of slowdown with Metroid Zero Mission, as I mentioned in the review). Because the console uses ROMS it's ripped from the cartridges to play the games rather than using the cartridge directly, stuff like the e-reader, or anything that uses hardware in the cartridge itself doesn't work. I've also been told light gun games don't work, but not owning one, I haven't tested that for myself. Also, the console is unable to extract Pokemon save games from the cartridges, but that might be by design.

The only real issue is the controller, which is terrible, but easily fixed by using a SNES controller for everything.

Just won myself a Gamecube off ebay so I dont have to keep going downstairs to play my new GC games. Comes with:

Animal Crossing

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Some Naruto game

Shadow the Hedgehog

Pikmin

Just won myself a Gamecube off ebay so I dont have to keep going downstairs to play my new GC games. Comes with:

Animal Crossing

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Some Naruto game

Shadow the Hedgehog

Pikmin

Good man!

What colour was it? It's just a shame it comes with Shadow the Hedgehog. :)

Good man!

What colour was it? It's just a shame it comes with Shadow the Hedgehog. :)

Black. Its probably actually my 4th GC over the years. Ive had black, purple and that horrible pearl white one lol

Black. Its probably actually my 4th GC over the years. Ive had black, purple and that horrible pearl white one lol

I quite like the pearl one. I've still got mine, as well as the Resident Evil 4 console.

I remember I picked up the pearl one when Argos were getting rid of their stock. I think I got it for something like £40. :D