NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

No.

Of course you can! I didn't think it warranted a thread of us own since its a 16 year old game but if you want to!

Great interview with Grant Kirkhope of Rare fame:

http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/exclusive-interview-with-ex-rare-composer-grant-kirkhope#disqus_thread

Amazing how they created the soundbite for Banjo's Mumbo Jumbo character. Great British humour.

WOAH! I didn't know that he was working on Yaiba, that's a shocker for me! That'll be one to watch/listen for sure!

Edited by Dcubed

Any Doom 64 love out there?

Been thinking about this a lot lately. It's by far the best installment of that series, but just gets ignored? It was terrifying. Afterwards, i did try to play the originals, but couldn't handle the metal music. Was expecting long periods of silence broken by scary unidentifiable sounds like in 64. Babies/lambs screaming = scarier than thrash metal. They just weren't scary!

I quite like Doom 3, but i played it on PC, and i think a lot of my terror was caused by the fact i was crap at controlling a FPS with a mouse and keyboard. I could've been blown to smithereens at any time!

Doom 64 is one of, if not thee, worst games I've ever played. I thought it was awful in every way.

A little now but back in the day as a Doom purist I hated it because it was different to the Doom I knew on other systems.I have just started playing it again and can see that creating a new individual Doom for the N64 was the correct move as it uses new maps and new lighting effects not used in the other versions,the controls are a real pig but that is typical of the N64 terrible controller. ::shrug:

I'm glad it was the first Doom i played, it's a masterpiece. DOOM 64 IS A MASTERPIECE.

I'm glad it was the first Doom i played, it's a masterpiece. DOOM 64 IS A MASTERPIECE.

Best music I'll give you that. I quite enjoyed it at the time I must admit. ::shrug:

Taken from Wiki:

Midway's original title of the game was The Absolution, but the name was changed to Doom 64 for brand recognition. ("The Absolution" was reused as the name of the last level of the game.)

Interesting how Midway were keen to put so much original content on the N64. Would be nice to see from another developer in the current climate!

Edited by tapedeck

Been meaning to do this for a while, just installed Homebrew on my old Wii for some region free gaming. Just bought some games which I've wanted for ages but never came out in Europe:

256px-Kururinsquash_box.PNG250px-ExciteBotBox.jpg

Got Kururin Squash 2nd hand off eBay, Excitebots brand new off Play Asia for £12!

Been meaning to do this for a while, just installed Homebrew on my old Wii for some region free gaming. Just bought some games which I've wanted for ages but never came out in Europe:

Got Kururin Squash 2nd hand off eBay, Excitebots brand new off Play Asia for £12!

I've had Kururin Squash sitting on my shelf for around 8-10 years. Still haven't played it. :D I loved the GBA one though, which is why I imported the Cube version. Clearly I didn't love it enough to actually play it!

Still annoys me that I didn't get to play Excitebots! :(

OH MY GOD.

Yesterday I was telling my mate about Kuru Kuru Kururin.

I remember playing the motherfucking shit out that game when I was young :D

Oh, the memories.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

There is a Wii version? :o Has this ever been released in Europe?

OH MY GOD.

Yesterday I was telling my mate about Kuru Kuru Kururin.

I remember playing the motherfucking shit out that game when I was young :D

Oh, the memories.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

There is a Wii version? :o Has this ever been released in Europe?

Nah, just a Cube version that never made it to the West, hence the importing. :(

The making of DKC on the SNES. Fascinating article with a few things I didn't know...

HERE

Brilliant interview and one that makes me sad that Rare are no longer part of Nintendo. :( Yeah, they are a shell of their former selves but I imagine that wouldn't be the case if they were still working with Nintendo.

I loved the story where Chris just walked in, listened, licked his finger and the fixed the cartridge. Classic. :D

What the hell, I loved Kuru kuru kurininen... didn't even know this existed... Might try and get it :) Sell me yours Hero?!

I have Excitebots, great game though Haven't played it much. I also have Captain Rainbow still sealed in its wrapper :(

What the hell, I loved Kuru kuru kurininen... didn't even know this existed... Might try and get it :) Sell me yours Hero?!

Hell no!! :D

I've rediscovered my Gamecube and I have far too many games to play. Need to get through these at some point:

Skies of Arcadia

Phantasy Star Online I & II

MGS Twin Snakes

Zelda Wind Waker (And OoT)

Smash Bros

Starfox Adventures

Looks like I'll be busy for a while.

I have Excitebots, great game though Haven't played it much. I also have Captain Rainbow still sealed in its wrapper :(

Still waiting for the fan translation to get finished...

I've rediscovered my Gamecube and I have far too many games to play. Need to get through these at some point:

Skies of Arcadia

Phantasy Star Online I & II

MGS Twin Snakes

Zelda Wind Waker (And OoT)

Smash Bros

Starfox Adventures

Looks like I'll be busy for a while.

Extra Life fodder?

Extra Life fodder?

Some of it may end up that way. I just really fancied playing the GC and I never really played any of these when I bought them (Except PSO).

Best signature ever.

I once attempted my palm at a fireworks show. I'm not allowed near schools now.

Edit: Damnit, now I appear foolish (and a bit pervy). Silly spambots and their posts getting deleted.

Edited by Goafer

I've started building a list of retro titles on Amazon which i plan on picking up over the year. Basically, re-building my old collection of games and consoles i used to own but either sold on due to finances, or was stolen. Currrently got a list of over 30 items, ranging from Gamecube games to Gameboy games.

Probably the first thing i'll pick up will be a Gameboy Advance, so i can replay Minish Cap. And as the GBA is backwards compatible with previous Gameboy games, shouldn't be a problem getting these.

I've started building a list of retro titles on Amazon which i plan on picking up over the year. Basically, re-building my old collection of games and consoles i used to own but either sold on due to finances, or was stolen. Currrently got a list of over 30 items, ranging from Gamecube games to Gameboy games.

Probably the first thing i'll pick up will be a Gameboy Advance, so i can replay Minish Cap. And as the GBA is backwards compatible with previous Gameboy games, shouldn't be a problem getting these.

Fancy sharing some of the list? I may be able to help you out as I've been trying to clean up my collection a little recently by selling on a few games that I know were never really for me..