NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Vitamins & Supplements Thread

Well, we'll see who lives longer. *sinister grin*

Well, unless I have a brief but decisive conflict with a bus, me, probably.

I honestly can't believe you can be so dismissive of modern medical science...

I read a study ages ago, quite a big one actually, and it showed that most vitamin supplements actually increased mortality, quite ironically. I think selenium and vitamin C were shown to be fine though. As long as you have a healthy and varied diet there really is no need at all for vitamin supplements, it's a ridiculous ploy for money fuelled by nothing much more than scare tactics and pseudo-science.

I'll try find that study and source it when I can be bothered.

I read a study ages ago, quite a big one actually, and it showed that most vitamin supplements actually increased mortality, quite ironically. I think selenium and vitamin C were shown to be fine though. As long as you have a healthy and varied diet there really is no need at all for vitamin supplements, it's a ridiculous ploy for money fuelled by nothing much more than scare tactics and pseudo-science.

This is what I'm kinda thinking. Obviously there are health exceptions... like taking cod liver oil can help some people with psoriasis, where you'd maybe have to eat ridiculous amounts of fish to gain the same as what you would from a supplement. And people suffering from arthritis are said to be helped with Glucosamine Sulphate. Things like that I see no harm in trying - under medical supervision of course.

But I don't believe in taking these "multivitamins" (where you can easily overdose - which is as dangerous) and they can interact with other medications one may be taking.

If you have a damn cold LET YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM DEAL WITH IT.

...where you'd maybe have to eat ridiculous amounts of fish to gain the same as what you would from a supplement.

I could make something dodgy out of that, but I really, really need to go and catch my train home...

I honestly can't believe you can be so dismissive of modern medical science...

...:hmm:

I accepted your point, but I fail to see where I have "Been so dismissive of modern medical science" by exclaiming the use of supplements. Moments like these is when bullets start ricocheting on these forums... This is a harmless topic. Pun intended.

Due to constantly getting colds from the air con at work a few years ago my doctor advised me to up my intake of vitamin C so I take one a day tablet and eat oranges throughout the week.

Also had a stint of taking echinacea to build up my immune system and now *touches wood* I hardly ever get a cold and if I do, I recover within a couple of days, whereas before I would be out of action for like 2 weeks with the sniffles.

Due to constantly getting colds from the air con at work a few years ago my doctor advised me to up my intake of vitamin C so I take one a day tablet and eat oranges throughout the week.

Also had a stint of taking echinacea to build up my immune system and now *touches wood* I hardly ever get a cold and if I do, I recover within a couple of days, whereas before I would be out of action for like 2 weeks with the sniffles.

I think you should also try some garlic. Great for immune defense.

I think you should also try some garlic. Great for immune defense.

I have garlic in a lot of food. Infact I'm always throwing it in when cooking. Echinanea was recommend to me by someone who swears by it and to be honest it seemed to work for me. Unless it was just the vitamin C all along.... :hug:

Or maybe it's a picture of a really sick girl who didn't ever try garlic, so her immune defence is virtually nil.

She can barely keep herself upright. It's terrible.

I think a few people have mis-understood the fish. He didn't say that herbal medicine doesn't work, he said that the stuff that does work has been included into medicine. So the stuff that isn't medicine most likely doesn't work or it would have been included.

Yeah, your diet and lifestyle is the most important thing. In fact (not sure if this was mentioned in this thread - I might have missed it) the whole idea is for the vitamin supplments to be part of an already healthy diet. Hence the word supplement. Taking a fuckload of vitamin pills a day whilst eating elephant portions of cheezburgas won't help.

I take a few vitamins that I picked up from Holland and Barrett, but only on days where I'm gyming eet up. They're pretty good. Can't remember the exact name for them, but they worked a treat for me. Although, since I finished the bottle, I haven't got anymore.

I have garlic in a lot of food. Infact I'm always throwing it in when cooking. Echinanea was recommend to me by someone who swears by it and to be honest it seemed to work for me. Unless it was just the vitamin C all along.... :hug:

*Jedi love* ;) x

Garlic - Vampire ;)

That, and the fact that every look she gives you forces you to reanalyze what you're doing wrong in your life.

[As an aside: You can see my ear in that photo]

I take multi vitamins as i dont cook for myself and the standard of food is as questionable as my spelling is lol.

I also take USN muscle fuel anabolic as im trying to gain weight. And with the amount of CV i do i strugle to put enought calories away to prevent me loosing weight.

One thing I've wondered, are those protein shakes and muscle mass thingies that you can buy actually safe?

Well the protein ones are or should be. I mean its just protein. But there are some others that have other thing sin them. Ive never heard of any bad strys. I know you shoudnt use creatine all the time as its supposed to be bad for your kidneys. But it always says on the label to do 2 months then have a rest month or somethin simaler.

One thing I've wondered, are those protein shakes and muscle mass thingies that you can buy actually safe?

Yeah, they're fine. I used to take about 3 scoops of whey protein a day when I went to the gym (got some more on order), and I put on a lot of muscle mass. Went from being 11stone and horribly weedy looking, to 12.5stone. Or you could, you know, eat a few chicken breasts a day, although the protein shakes do tend to have a better absorption rate.

Edited by The Bard

Sign in to follow this