NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Vitamins & Supplements Thread

Just wanted to see what kind of stuff we're all taking for optimum health... (we all tak our vitamins right...!?)

can you recommend any?

I strongly recommend the following:

Ginseng - for good blood circulation, energy.

Kelp Powder - for replenishig and maximizing your metabolism via the thyroid gland.

St Johns Wart - if you are constantly depressed or have high highs and low lows.

Urgh, herbal 'medicine' - the stuff that works is now 'medicine', the rest, at best, does nothing...

Urgh, herbal 'medicine' - the stuff that works is now 'medicine', the rest, at best, does nothing...
Bit of a stupid comment!

Many plants actually contain the same active ingredients as synthetic drugs, and many drugs you cane purchase over the counter have been derived from or researched from plants anyway, so it's pointless to just dismiss herbal medicines. Many doctors actually recommend a lot of them nowadays.

Where is the best place to buy this "herbal 'medicine'" from?

Or is it best to grow your own?

Well, to each his own but the ones I've mentioned definitely work for me. Ginseng for one has been used throughout history... But what is the knowledge of thousands of years against 'The Fish'. :laughing:

But what is the knowledge of thousands of years against 'The Fish' clinically controlled trials.

Which isn't to say that this is all is nonsense, just that it's better to use stuff that's actually proven to work, and no, a long history of use isn't evidence here. And if you do take this stuff, make sure you tell your doctor that you're doing so...

Bit of a stupid comment!

Many plants actually contain the same active ingredients as synthetic drugs, and many drugs you cane purchase over the counter have been derived from or researched from plants anyway, so it's pointless to just dismiss herbal medicines. Many doctors actually recommend a lot of them nowadays.

What? Did you actually read what I said?

Herbal medicine that works has been taken and is now modern medicine, what doesn't work is useless at best, if not dangerous. There is no reason to take herbal medicine over modern medicine.

I only take Rumble Balls in special emergencies.

vlcsnap-5191326.png

Yes this was an excuse to post a picture of Tony Tony Chopper.

Which isn't to say that this is all is nonsense, just that it's better to use stuff that's actually proven to work, and no, a long history of use isn't evidence here. And if you do take this stuff, make sure you tell your doctor that you're doing so...

I was hoping you'd show up. :)

The stuff that isn't nonsense is now available as modern medicine - your better off using that.

Well, to each his own but the ones I've mentioned definitely work for me.

The difference between 'anecdote' and 'evidence' isn't just the spelling, you know?

Ginseng is a plant, kelp is seaweed... Nature knows best. ^^

I only take Rumble Balls in special emergencies.
Just don't take 3 at once.

(You'll find out why, eventually)

Herbal medicine that works has been taken and is now modern medicine, what doesn't work is useless at best, if not dangerous. There is no reason to take herbal medicine over modern medicine.

Hmm, really? A plant extract is a plant extract, no? Though ofcourse there will always be variances in quality. Im intrigued though, but I dont fully understand what you mean? What is dangerous?

I've never been entirely sure what "nature" is supposed to be anyway.
I don't know if you're really on the same lines as me, but I've always thought this. All "man made" and "synthetic" items come from the Earth anyway. It's not like we click our fingers and get Vitamin-C in pill form out of thin air.

So you would rather take something man-made over drinking cranberry juice to cure a mild bladder/kidney problem?

Ginseng is a plant, kelp is seaweed... Nature knows best. ^^

I think you'll find that actually Nature knows best...

So you would rather take something man-made over drinking cranberry juice to cure a mild bladder/kidney problem?

I don't know - if a clinical trial has shown cranberry juice to be effective for the particular condition, then I'd drink that. If not, the 'man made' medical alternative is tried, tested and scientifically demonstrated, so that wins.

Yeah I posted that example because cranberry juice is known to be an extremely effective solution for such problems... therefore contradicting your 'no reason to take herbal over modern medicine'... because of course it's far better to be taking something 100% natural if the option's there.

I don't know if you're really on the same lines as me, but I've always thought this. All "man made" and "synthetic" items come from the Earth anyway. It's not like we click our fingers and get Vitamin-C in pill form out of thin air.

Exactly. Surely everything is "natural", whether man-made or otherwise.

Yeah I posted that example because cranberry juice is known to be an extremely effective solution for such problems... therefore contradicting your 'no reason to take herbal over modern medicine'... because of course it's far better to be taking something 100% natural if the option's there.

That's not really what Fish is saying - he's just suggesting that things that things that are proven to work (including both apparently cranberry juice and stuff like paracetamol) are better than "herbal remedies", which are usually given that label because of their lack of scientific backing.

Well he said 'theres no reason'... when infact there is.

By "herbal medicine", I mean the stuff marketed as "herbal medicine" - The untested stuff the requires no scientific backing to be sold.

You seem to assume that modern medicine = synthetic pills. This is entirely erroneous and misrepresents modern medicine entirely - it's based not on how artificial a medication is, but on what is scientifically backed. Any medicines taken directly from plants which can be backed up by science become modern, scientific medicine.

Well you classed all 'vitamins & supplements' as herbel medicines in your first post.

Supplements (all three things KingV listed are supplements) are generally just as the name suggest - unnecessary additions, from a medical point of view, anyway. The three he listed all fall under herbal medicine as well - they're either an expensive con or a dangerous and expensive con (vitamin B17, anyone?)

The parts of herbal medicine that are of genuine medical benefit are available a lot more cheaply as, well, medicine - NHS and/or value off-the-shelf medication ftw.

they're either an expensive con or a dangerous and expensive con (vitamin B17, anyone?)

Well, we'll see who lives longer. *sinister grin*

Sign in to follow this