NEurope
Dante

Vanquish

you could say the same about Gears of War or Halo- the latter is built around a '30 seconds of fun' core mechanic and I'm still playing it ten years later and it's still awesome.

But this is single player, and so far we've seen one environment. Plus, I don't think it's as fun.

I very much enjoyed it. It's a typical piece of high-flying anime-style Japanese nonsense involving big robots, slow mo and a cover mechanic. It's precisely the sort of thing I'm the market for. That and rocket knees.

I'm in the surprisingly small camp of this is awesome.

I don't care if it's simplistic, cheesy or poorly voice-acted, it's a lot of fun. I loved the knee booster thing and the shotgun and grenades have such a kick. Bringing down that robot was challenging and fun, if simplistic.

Really liked this, love the campy Shinji Mikami style games as he is the master of them.

Everything controlled smoothly in all of the chaos and was just really fun to play.

The sniper was just really pointless in this style of game, why be behind and pick them off when I can rocket knee them in the face...

The highpoint for me was easily when your twisting the bullet back into the barrel of the giant mecha.

Edited by Mundi

The sniper was just really pointless in this style of game, why be behind and pick them off when I can rocket knee them in the face...

Because you can snipe whilst vaulting over cover in slow motion. It's especially useful for taking out the pilots on the walkers and gunners on the turrets.

I think my favourite manoeuvre is chucking a grenade above a group of enemies, flipping into ARS and shooting it out of the sky for a seemingly even more destructive explosion.

First review from Play UK -

When it's in the zone, Vanquish is about as good as action gaming can get. Much more than the 'Gears Of War only faster' many were expecting, it draws upon the best ideas from a wide range of influences and blends them into an eye-bleedingly intense whole. The best game of the month.

After the surprise success of Bayonetta, Sega and PlatinumGames return with a shooter that is in contention for game of the year. Vanquish is a fast, frenetic and, above all else, fun shooter that manages to meld a wealth of established ideas together into something that feels fresh. I think it will certainly surprise a lot of people and is a perfect mix of both Eastern and Western gaming styles. 9.3/10

Played the demo of this yesterday for a bit, kept getting merked by the big thing with the laser, but it didn't put me off. Admittedly, I have yet to beat him cos I had to stop, but I like the fact it might pose a challenge. Got a bit of a feeling of GoW meets Halo from it, though I have limited experience with either of those anyway so it may be a bad comparison. I don't see why it's getting such disliking though, maybe not lots of liking(tho i think it's cool) but why all the hate!

Having said that, I wouldn't pick this up until it was sub-£15, though.

This game is £39.99 on Play.com and comes with a free copy of Bayonetta.

No, seriously.

This is true. I've recently played a bit of Bayonetta, and I guess it's quite good, don't know if it was amazing enough for me to still want to buy this until it's...well, less.

This game is £39.99 on Play.com and comes with a free copy of Bayonetta.

No, seriously.

I've find out a bit about Miss bayonetta, she has a tendency to hang around the bargain bins these days, so I wouldn't think much about such a deal. You could get better offers on certain Manchester roads.

I feel that this is a renter or a wait-til-it's-cheaper. This kind of game is inevitably sub-£10 in 6 months.

I feel that this is a renter or a wait-til-it's-cheaper. This kind of game is inevitably sub-£10 in 6 months.

Yes defintely it has no long term appeal so will be traded in a lot hence low price.