NEurope
Serebii

Pokémon Black & White

... Of course. I had only chosen Wireless, not Nintendo WFC. Mewtwo's downloaded now. Thanks.

Hmm, people seem to be betting that Pokemon Gray will be revealed around May but it seems to be based on the reveal of the movie that features the third legendary Pokemon in the main trio. Giratina's movie was revealed on the February and Platinum was revealed in May, Kyurem's movie has been announced this month so people are thinking Gray's reveal is just around the corner.

Sounds legit to be fair and no doubt Nintendo is bugging their asses to get it out so they can get another spike in 3DS sales.

Hmm, people seem to be betting that Pokemon Gray will be revealed around May but it seems to be based on the reveal of the movie that features the third legendary Pokemon in the main trio. Giratina's movie was revealed on the February and Platinum was revealed in May, Kyurem's movie has been announced this month so people are thinking Gray's reveal is just around the corner.

Sounds legit to be fair and no doubt Nintendo is bugging their asses to get it out so they can get another spike in 3DS sales.

The problem with the Pok?mon community is that they keep looking for patterns that aren't necessarily there.

I have no doubt that we'll get a new main series game in Japan this year and that it will be on the 3DS. It being Grey, however...

The problem with the Pok?mon community is that they keep looking for patterns that aren't necessarily there.

I have no doubt that we'll get a new main series game in Japan this year and that it will be on the 3DS. It being Grey, however...

This is definitely true.

You think it might be the remakes first? We got the Red & Blue remakes before Emerald, but we got the Gold & Silver remakes after Platinum so I think people are going by the timing of last generation and assuming it'll be Grey, which I think is a lot more likely.

I don't believe we'll have remakes this generation

Now I'm genuinely intrigued

So you think we'll get a main series game this year, you don't believe we'll get remakes this generation and if I read that last part of the quote correctly, you have doubts as to whether it's Pokemon Grey? What could it possibly be? Haha.

Now I'm genuinely intrigued

So you think we'll get a main series game this year, you don't believe we'll get remakes this generation and if I read that last part of the quote correctly, you have doubts as to whether it's Pokemon Grey? What could it possibly be? Haha.

Look at it this way.

In the past generations, remakes fit due to the chronology

Ruby/Sapphire were set at the same time as Red/Blue, as referenced by various things in regards to Kanto and TR - Remakes made

Diamond & Pearl were set at around the same time as Gold/Silver, 3 years later, as referenced by the news report about the Lake of Rage at the start, and more TR references.

Black & White, however, are set 5-10 years after DPtHGSS so having RS remakes wouldn't really fit the series chronology

At this point, Grey does seem a bit too late to be likely to happen. If it was released in April in Japan (best case scenario) we'd be looking at a September-November release in the west at best. That would mean that we probably wouldn't see a Gen 6 game (or R/S/E remake) until late 2013 at best (and that's not even taking into account the no doubt much longer dev cycle it'll now have thanks to the shift to 3DS development, which requires them to dump all of their DS/GBA dev knowhow and start from scratch; that alone could push it into mid/late 2014) That's a really long time to wait!

I reckon that they might have just skipped Grey and moved onto Gen 6 (and I don't see them remaking R/S/E before making a new 3DS game first. Series history be damned)

Unlike with the GBA to DS jump, they can't just reuse code and old ways of programming. It's a seismic shift for them. Even Nintendo's EAD studios have struggled with the jump (all of their 3DS games with the sole exception of Nintendogs + Cats have been co-developed with outside studios) and they have far more experience with 3D moddeling and modern ways of programming.

I wholeheartedly disagree. They won't push out Gen VI quickly. You can tell by how they're doing the yearly event Pok?mon. This year is the second of four for this generation and so it likely won't be until 2014 at the very earliest

That said, there is no reason whatsoever they cannot have the rest of Gen V on 3DS. All the technologies are compatible.

We also know that GameFreak were among the first with 3DS development kits two years ago so it's not like they only just started.

I wholeheartedly disagree. They won't push out Gen VI quickly. You can tell by how they're doing the yearly event Pok?mon. This year is the second of four for this generation and so it likely won't be until 2014 at the very earliest

That said, there is no reason whatsoever they cannot have the rest of Gen V on 3DS. All the technologies are compatible.

We also know that GameFreak were among the first with 3DS development kits two years ago so it's not like they only just started.

The problem is not compatibility but rather the fact that a 3DS port of Grey would significantly take away from the impact of a true 3DS sequel (since it would already pioneer the inevitable streetpass/spotpass/online feature set and a graphical upgrade - making Gen 6 much less special in that regard)

Plus, historically speaking, each enhanced release has always gone one step up in terms of hardware spec (R/B = Original GB, Y = GBC enhanced - G/S = GBC enhanced, C = GBC only); so going by history it should be DSi only but that is becoming more unlikely by the day. If Grey was moved to the 3DS, people would expect a generational jump in accordance with a new Pokemon gen. Anything less would be disappointing (but would also take away from the impact of Gen 6). Skipping Grey altogether gives them more time to work on Gen 6, allows them to release it earlier (2013 isn't early. It's 2 years after the 3DS launch, placing it roughly in line with past Pokemon releases; and 4 years is plenty of dev time, even accounting for GF relearning how to make the wheel. 2014 would actually be very late by series standards) and allows for Gen 6 to have it's full impact.

There's plenty of potential spinoffs that they could release this year (Pokemon TCG AR anyone?) that would help make up for the lack of Grey this year. Who's to say that they absolutely have to make a 3rd version this time around? The circumstances have changed significantly.

Of course there's always the possibility that Game Freak might be co-developing Gen 6 or Grey with an outside developer (a practice that has now become Nintendo's standard MO and could change people's expectations significantly), in which case all bets are off! ;)

Edited by Dcubed

The problem is not compatibility but rather the fact that a 3DS port of Grey would significantly take away from the impact of a true 3DS sequel (since it would already pioneer the inevitable streetpass/spotpass/online feature set and a graphical upgrade - making Gen 6 much less special in that regard)

Plus, historically speaking, each enhanced release has always gone one step up in terms of hardware spec (R/B = Original GB, Y = GBC enhanced - G/S = GBC enhanced, C = GBC only); so going by history it should be DSi only but that is becoming more unlikely by the day. If Grey was moved to the 3DS, people would expect a generational jump in accordance with a new Pokemon gen. Anything less would be disappointing (but would also take away from the impact of Gen 6). Skipping Grey altogether gives them more time to work on Gen 6, allows them to release it earlier (2013 isn't early. It's 2 years after the 3DS launch, placing it roughly in line with past Pokemon releases; and 4 years is plenty of dev time, even accounting for GF relearning how to make the wheel. 2014 would actually be very late by series standards) and allows for Gen 6 to have it's full impact.

There's plenty of potential spinoffs that they could release this year (Pokemon TCG AR anyone?) that would help make up for the lack of Grey this year. Who's to say that they absolutely have to make a 3rd version this time around? The circumstances have changed significantly.

Of course there's always the possibility that Game Freak might be co-developing Gen 6 or Grey with an outside developer (a practice that has now become Nintendo's standard MO and could change people's expectations significantly), in which case all bets are off! ;)

And that is the reason why I think they're sticking with Gen V, but doing something other than remakes :)

And that is the reason why I think they're sticking with Gen V, but doing something other than remakes :)

So you reckon it'll be something that is still within the confines of Gen 5, but not Pokemon Grey? That's a distinct possibility, especially considering that there's a certain new home console coming out this year that is in need of a Pokemon Stadium style game...

Though of course I'm still hoping for TCG AR 3DS (or NFC Wii U) edition! (and we're also long overdue for a new Pokemon Pinball game!)

Or, here's a bit of a crazy idea, a standalone RPG in Unova. Sort of like Pokemon XD (with completely different rules/mechanics than the main series!)

I still think it'll be 2013 rather than 2014 for Gen 6 though. 5 years in the making is way too much (not even Zelda takes that long!)

Super Late Edit: I may have to eat my words if this turns out to be true... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463827 Could be nothing, could be something completely different (hello Poke Park 2!), but either way I'm gonna look stupid! :p If it is true, it's possible that it could still be a DSi only game (that would open up the SD Card slot for use in the game, allowing for new possibilities with the Dream World & DLC and would still require DS only owners to buy a 3DS, ALA Pokemon Crystal with the GBA!) if it's releasing sometime near April/May, so I can still save some face :cool:

Edited by Dcubed

Look at it this way.

In the past generations, remakes fit due to the chronology

Ruby/Sapphire were set at the same time as Red/Blue, as referenced by various things in regards to Kanto and TR - Remakes made

Diamond & Pearl were set at around the same time as Gold/Silver, 3 years later, as referenced by the news report about the Lake of Rage at the start, and more TR references.

Black & White, however, are set 5-10 years after DPtHGSS so having RS remakes wouldn't really fit the series chronology

Very good point. There's even a guy in Devon Corp who mentions how they're trying to develop a machine that allows you to see Pokemon's dreams, but it isn't going very well.

Over all, I can't imagine what they're going to decide on system wise. The only time we've had a situation similar to what we have now is G/S/C and they opted to make Crystal a Gameboy Colour exclusive despite the first two being GBC enhanced (much like Black and White being DSi enhanced).

My money is on the third title being a 3DS exclusive though. None of the third versions in the Pokemon main series have sold less than 6 million world wide so I imagine there's at least 1 million new 3DS purchases to be had.

EDIT: Even more intriguing, are we kissing goodbye to Kanto? This may just be the first generation to not have the region available to explore.

Edited by Debug Mode

Very good point. There's even a guy in Devon Corp who mentions how they're trying to develop a machine that allows you to see Pokemon's dreams, but it isn't going very well.

Over all, I can't imagine what they're going to decide on system wise. The only time we've had a situation similar to what we have now is G/S/C and they opted to make Crystal a Gameboy Colour exclusive despite the first two being GBC enhanced (much like Black and White being DSi enhanced).

My money is on the third title being a 3DS exclusive though. None of the third versions in the Pokemon main series have sold less than 6 million world wide so I imagine there's at least 1 million new 3DS purchases to be had.

EDIT: Even more intriguing, are we kissing goodbye to Kanto? This may just be the first generation to not have the region available to explore.

Hence a theory I had

For the last year, I have been postulating the possibility of Kanto sequels. New games set in Kanto, with Kanto having more areas to explore, set years after HGSS, to tie it to the same chronology as BW.

It'd be 3DS game and help bridge both Gen V into the 3DS and providing many 3DS features (many of which were actually in BW in the C-Gear)

All of my fucking money. I should be in Japan for a year from September, I'll infiltrate Game Freak somehow and get you a job.

Looks like Gray might be coming soon, new poster leak reveals 2 new forms of Kyurem

226936_500x705.jpg

Top left and top right, they look like Kyurem fused with Reshiram and Zekrom.

First Meloetta art

648.png

She looks like a black & green Celebi that has been changed from SD to Chibi and with added long hair...

She looks like a black & green Celebi that has been changed from SD to Chibi and with added long hair...

To me she looks like a distant cousin of...

281.png

To me she looks like a distant cousin of...

281.png

catch-celebi-at-gamestop-20110222044743463-000.jpg

Pokemon fusion? (Celebi's head, Kirlia's body - Celebi's eye colour swapped with Kirlia's body colour?)