NEurope
Serebii

Pokémon Black & White

Oh god I remember that. It was horrible to read it. It was like trying to read a text message from a mentally delinquent 13 year old chav with no arms.

I'm sure they're trying to get a point across but don't actually write like that. If you're going to write a bloody poem, use the language accurately.

Apparently poets have some artistic licence or whatever which means they can even spell incorrectly and still be "right"

There's nothing wrong with the style of writing for that poem. It has a purpose. It's a "half-caste" poem, written by a "half-caste" poet. It combines standard England, with some influences of Carribean and Creole. It's not some "lazy" text message speak written to confuse people. The purpose for this style is for the poem to be read in a certain way. When I read it, the voice I hear when I read it is definitely more "Carribean" style than ye olde English. And that's exactly what the author is trying to create.

It's a great piece of work, imo.

There's nothing wrong with the style of writing for that poem. It has a purpose. It's a "half-caste" poem, written by a "half-caste" poet. It combines standard England, with some influences of Carribean and Creole. It's not some "lazy" text message speak written to confuse people. The purpose for this style is for the poem to be read in a certain way. When I read it, the voice I hear when I read it is definitely more "Carribean" style than ye olde English. And that's exactly what the author is trying to create.

It's a great piece of work, imo.

Spoken word then yes it's awesome

However, written down the language is pretty much the same barring some us, zs and ss across the world and so it should be written down either like that or written down completely phoenetically

Spoken word then yes it's awesome

However, written down the language is pretty much the same barring some us, zs and ss across the world and so it should be written down either like that or written down completely phoenetically

Poetry is there to be shared, so arguably it's there to be performed and read out-loud.

When you say it should be written completely phonetically, how do you mean? Could you also argue that this is halfway between phonetic and standard English? ;)

Poetry is there to be shared, so arguably it's there to be performed and read out-loud.

When you say it should be written completely phonetically, how do you mean? Could you also argue that this is halfway between phonetic and standard English? ;)

The same way that the dictionary writes them

The third game of this generation will be called Pokemon: Squinty Eyes

BET ON IT

The same way that the dictionary writes them

Hmm, but would the outcome be the same? Would it still be a "half-caste" poem if the entire thing was written phonetically or in standard English? It wouldn't be. Like I mentioned earlier, it's written like this for a reason. Are there two speakers, or is the poet conversing with himself, or is it a monologue? I feel that there's a sense of duality in this poem, hence the mixture of standard English and the Carribean/Creole/Phonetic form. Hence why it's not written solely in one form, it's written in two forms, mixed together. That's the "half-caste nature of the poem."

Just looking at wikipedia and the "interpretation" for the poem is really interesting.

"The poem is not written in any particular form, but consists of a monologue, in which the speaker's shifts between Standard English and a form of Caribbean creole. The "yu" which runs throughout the poem appears to be directed at the reader, whose assumed prejudices towards people of mixed-race descent, and in particular the belief that "purity" is superior to heterogeneity, are critiqued and ultimately shown to be fallacious. Agard explores this idea through a series of apparently lighthearted images, all of which in some way appeal to the cultural pretensions of a (white) reader who views a "half-caste" person as in some way inferior to themselves. He offers, for example, the analogy of English weather, a Tchaikovsky symphony and paintings by Picasso. In all three cases he argues that it is the heterogeneity of the images that lend them their peculiar force and cultural resonance.

In the second half of the poem Agard turns the "half" around to focus on the reader and how he, Agard, has been perceived in the past. His argument is, essentially, that people have only used part of their perceptive faculties, and, as such, he can only extend "half a hand" to them. It is, Agard believes, up to the reader to extend their own mode of seeing to be able to comprehend the meaning of a "half-caste" person, and only then will he "tell yu / de other half / of my story."

So, there you go. Not just a typical 13 year old chav's average text message. Heh. :)

MY POKEMANS

LET ME SHOW YOU THEM.

The titles are pretty obviously real, do you think the logos being black and white themed was purely coincidental.

They ran out of gemstones and precious metals to keep "stepping up" to, so they went back to basics. That's how I see it.

Yes, expect the third entry to probably be Pokemon Grey, as bland as that sounds.

The titles could have been derived from the colours of the logos.

It was a simple question, has there been a fucking official announcement or not?

The titles could have been derived from the colours of the logos.

It was a simple question, has there been a fucking official announcement or not?

I would imagine that by now someone would have translated the text on the logos and we would know if they weren't called Black and White.

They are the official names.

Splendid!

Moving on. The fire starter will automatically be the best, as normal.

Lies, my Infernape on Platinum is terrible, it seems that practically everything of a comparable level can one shot him. I'd never beat the Elite Four if I didn't have a Gyrados.

Fire was only really good in the first generation. And even then the other two were equally as good. Then again, fire types are much less common compared to some other types, and you usually don't see them until at least a few towns in, so it can be a logical choice depending on what type of gyms you face early on. In general though, I prefer to leave starters out of my final teams due to everyone having them. Same with legendaries.

Lies, my Infernape on Platinum is terrible, it seems that practically everything of a comparable level can one shot him. I'd never beat the Elite Four if I didn't have a Gyrados.

My Infernape wasn't that bad. But the D/P/Pl starters were just fucking stupid in the idea of making them all dual types.

My Infernape wasn't that bad. But the D/P/Pl starters were just fucking stupid in the idea of making them all dual types.

They had dual types the generation before, then again I think that was from the second evolution onwards, bar Treeko's evolutions.

Infernape, although my favourite (A monkey? WITH FIRE? FUCK YEAH), was yet another fucking Fire / Fighting type. Fire types are always the best, I was disappointed by how stupid Blaziken looks.

They had dual types the generation before, then again I think that was from the second evolution onwards, bar Treeko's evolutions.

Doesn't make it any less of a fucking stupid idea.

Doesn't make it any less of a fucking stupid idea.

Added a bit more depth I felt, you had your usual effectiveness circle then generation IV introduced a counter circle at the same type thanks to the new dual types. However, you're right that it's stupid, as by the time all the starters grew to maturity where the new types shine, you'd have plenty of other pokemon you'd rather send out.

What I want is a starter trio that is both weak to and strong against the other so say

Water/Fighting

Grass/Dark

Fire/Psychic

Before DP came out, on the official site, the developers gave hints that there may be a new style of starter trio and even said fighting/psychic/dark, but that turned out to not happen...perhaps it will this time