NEurope
killer kirby

The Last Story (24th February)

With both this and Xenoblade (which sounds great), I'd say for the near future, the Wii is definitely the system with the most interesting upcoming RPG releases.

Yet people who nay say the Wii for things like "NO RPG's!!" will just ignore the fact and pretend these titles don't exist probably so they can still shit on the system.

I can't help but get excited over this game lol. Yeah I agree with whoever said that 'The Last Story' title and logo is a shamless Final Fantasy rip off but maybe thats why I'm excited about it lol :D

It should definitly get a western release, music on the website is really good hopefully they will release more. Need to see some screens soon.

The Last Story To Have Realtime Battle System?

Siliconera

While he isn’t supposed to “officially” say anything about the game until — presumably — Nintendo give the green light, The Last Story director Hironobu Sakaguchi likes sneaking a few hints into his Mistwalker blog posts about his day-to-day activities, regardless. For instance, he may have just given away that the game’s battle system will be in realtime:

Production of the last story is advancing smoothly. But, I want you to understand how difficult it is to finish the last fixes and it is time consuming in RPG creation. There is an unknown territory for me because of the real time system exists in it. But I believe that the hurdle will invent something new. Of course, it’s possible to finish it really quick, but the effort we put in in 2 years would be wasted. The final seasoning is very important. So I made up my mind carefully and I’m working with scrupulous attention. Anyway the sense of security is necessary to the foundation so that you can enjoy yourself without any logic.

“Realtime system” sounds like it refers to the battle system, but we can’t be sure until Nintendo are ready to talk about the game. This would mean both their upcoming RPGs — this and XenoBlade — are doing away with traditional turn-based battles. Regardless, “enjoy yourself without any logic” sounds like an admirable goal for a game. It makes it sound like an almost…instinctive…sense of enjoyment, which, frankly, not many games are able to achieve.

Aside from working on The Last Story, Sakaguchi has also been playing with LEGO, and blogging about his creations frequently. Perhaps we’ll see his fondness for building things represented in the game in some form as well?

Good. I have had my fill of turn based games over the past few years, Chronotrigger, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem... So i'm happy.

As long as there's a degree of depth to the battle system still and it's not atrociously boring then I don't care whether it's turn based or real time.

The battle systems in games like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon feel a bit too archaic and slow for me.

Website is now updated with new music and artwork...IT BEGINS!!!!

11tbjoo.jpg

b8l4x1.jpg

2qu6al2.jpg

Some info I found on Neogaf

the director and producer talk about Ruri Island, which is the setting for the game. The director talks about how the continent is surrounded by mountain ranges and the only accessible point being that island port. As such it is heavily fortified and a major point of defense. It sounds like the ruler of the island carries certain ambitions and seeks magic as a resource to rise in power.

Somehow even though the entire empire is suffering poverty and decay, the town of Ruri remains prosperous. It's implied that the source of the town's wealth is related to magic, and there's a strange power in it which begins to attract monsters towards it, and the fate of the island is soon to be changed forever.

The world of The Last Story is supposed to be one where metal resources are scarce, and Sakaguchi is trying to limit the amount of sci-fi influence on the world setting, and he wants players to be able to enjoy a smooth experience of exploring around Ruri Island, a place bathed in the abundance of radiant sunlight.

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Do we have any idea if it's Uematsu who's doing the music for the game?

The music track on the site has elements of compositions from FFX in it, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

Do we have any idea if it's Uematsu who's doing the music for the game?

The music track on the site has elements of compositions from FFX in it, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

Well all the other important home console games that Sakaguchi has been making when with Mistwalkers have all been done by Uematsu...but I thought Uematsu had his hands busy with FFXV :hmm:

Lovely, absolutely lovely. If they can capture something of that limpid painterly style in the graphics it'll be a beaut. The soothing music fits well too.

There's an oldschool vibe to this, a warmth, that's making me very optimistic :)

siliconera

Sakaguchi reveals that, from an architectural standpoint, small villages from France and Italy were used as the inspiration for the game’s towns, in order to convey the feeling that there is a rich history behind them. The game’s producer follows up by writing that, while towns in other games are usually abundant with dead-ends to avoid letting the player get lost, The Last Story features large towns, and that allowing the player to get lost and wander randomly through them is one of the goals of the design.

The behaviour of the inhabitants and passers-by on the street also changes periodically, sometimes in noticeable ways, and other times in a more subtle manner. Overall, the goal behind the cities in general is to give off the impression that the towns are a living, breathing place that you want to explore.

While the part about towns being a living breathing place has been said for many games before (FF XII, Assassin's Creed) and it always makes me feel underwhelmed when I experience it, hearing it said again still manages to get me excited. :heh:

Site updated:

28a19qw.jpg

The English text in the lower right corner of the map tells the background story of Ruli Island. This was detailed last week.

In today's column, the game's director wrote that in creating Ruli City, he wanted to convey the feeling of actually being there. He also mentioned game-like elements for the city -- the changing reactions of passersby, things flying in the wind, and even "desperate escapes."

Wrote the director, "Prior to creating the city, we visited small towns in France and Italy. It was for research. Of course, it's a fantasy virtual world, so there's no need to make it match reality. However, by incorporating architectural designs that were made to support life over a long history, we will be able to build a convincing world."

Ruli City serves as the base of your adventures, said the director.

The game's producer, presumably Mistwalker's Hironobu Sakaguchi, made note of some of the differences in design between Ruli City and the cities you find in other RPGs. In most RPGs, he explained, designers add dead ends to road ways and create wide roads, all in an effort to keep the player from getting lost. "However, the city of The Last Story is expansive, and if you walk a good amount, you'll probably get lost. There are few dead ends, and a large number of narrow roadways."

"There's a reason for this type of setting. Please, walk around Ruli City aimlessly to experience that reason."

e709vm.jpg

mnt2.jpg

fnz6vo.jpg

dhfzme.jpg

I don't mind long scenes on 2 conditions, skippable and pauseable. Subtitles help as well.

It's rather unfair at the end of that article when they link to LOs opening. Which is almost as long as the GoW3 intro, but what the video doesn't show is that halfway through is gameplay in the actual game followed by the rest of the intro.

Perhaps Last Story will go the way of Half Life, wander around as people talk to and about you and about you to do list. :p

Perhaps Last Story will go the way of Half Life, wander around as people talk to and about you and about you to do list.

That would be really great. (I love Half-Life 2)

However well this game turns out now, I certainly can't fault them for amount of effort put into the artwork!

I really want this to be good. The very sad thing is though I bet NO MATTER how good it is, it wont matter sales wise. It probably wont even do well in Japan despite the heritage.

I was talking to my friend about this and he basically turns off whenever anything is about the Wii, despite the fact he owns both Mistwalker games on 360, is a huge Uematsu fan (I do have a feeling he'll be onboard for this) and actually owns a Wii. Of course he and a few other people I know went and bought FFXIII on day 1. Why? Simple, HD bells and whistles galore.

Site has been updated.

2132411182_view.jpg

140y97s.jpg

23mq6v8.jpg

Andriasang.com =

The title of the latest post at The Last Story blog is "Knights and Mercenaries." Sure enough, we're getting some first hints at game's character settings.

In the world of The Last Story, there's a harsh separation between two classes of soldiers: "knights" and "mercenaries." This is a separation that's difficult to cross. Knights are at the high ranks of society. They have nothing to worry about except mastering their skills. Mercenaries, on the other hand, are treated like "disposable units." They must wander like vagabonds in search of work.

The main characters in The Last Story are mercenaries. In the words of the game's director, they "have dreams of becoming knights, but fight on the boundaries of death as mercenaries." The mercenaries know the sadness of losing loved ones, having their villages burned down, and having all their possessions stolen. They want power because power is all important in order to protect those whom you love.

Writes the director, "'Extreme Power' is poured onto those who harbor 'sadness and loneliness' ... however, they must not make mistakes in how it is used."

The game's producer, presumably Mistwalker CEO Hironobu Sakaguchi, notes that in addition to having a low social standing, mercenaries are detested because they always fight. Knights, on the other hand, are a symbol of authority. They pledge their allegience to the lords of the land and lead a stable life. People have respect for them as friends of justice.

It shouldn't be surprising that the mercenaries, who don't know their own tomorrow, should long to be like the knights, writes the producer to close off the blog post.

Edited by Dante

Newest update.

vdhapf.jpg

b8aclt.jpg

sc8jt5.jpg

The Last Story Blog Hints at Sea Travel

Following a peak last week at character elements, this week's The Last Story development blog returns to the game's setting. An entry titled "Water" hints at sea travel, a strong sound component, and vehicles.

The game's as yet unnamed director writes, "Within the world of computer graphics, the feeling of water is remarkably beautiful."

He mentions some uses of water in The Last Story's world -- a waterfall in a cave, a large river in the center of town, and "the seas upon which the main characters head out."

In addition to water, this week's blog post is about sound, which the director feels is important in giving life to the world. "I believe we're progressing well with sound effect production," he writes. "We placed importance on it from the start, and while it is out of the ordinary from a scheduling standpoint, we started sound development simultaneous with the start of production."

He continues, "In the 'world,' there exists 'sound' that has been running in parallel for a long time. The influence of this will pull the gameplay and cinematics in good directions, I believe."

In closing, the director writes, "'Water' and 'Sound' -- while in the supporting role, they're also primary players."

[Note: I previously mistranslated the above as "'Water' and 'Sound' -- from the supporting role to the main roles."]

The producer, also unnamed, makes note of the how ancient Rome built aqueducts, which made water supply essential for a city. While The Last Story's main city of Ruli does not have aqueducts, it does have canals which have an effect on the lives of the people. Notes the producer, "The canals lead to the sea, and the sea teaches people that in order to head out on adventure, they need ships."

Based off the comments from the producer and director, It looks like vehicles, at the very least ships, will feature in The Last Story. Finishes the producer, "The world in an island will expand with the use of ships. Vehicles in a fantasy world are an important tool for getting you excited."

The real question is, are we Mercenaries or Pirate Mercenaries?

*reminiscing on Suikoden IV* *ahem*

I was already excited about this, but with updates coming like this in IV drip style.... it's getting better by the minute!:bouncy: