NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2

More Dragon Quest goodness. Dragon Quest Monster: Joker 2 has been revealed!

dqmj2.jpg

Main character looks like the character from Blue Dragon. But otherwise, I can't wait for this. Can't believe I overlooked the first one for so long.

The artist is Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon Artist).

The artist is Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon Artist).

I know his character designs tend to look similar, but he's practically the same character design from Blue Dragon, just with longer hair. He's even wearing the same clothes. Either Toriyama forgot he used that character design before or it's some sort of crossover/camo type thing :heh:.

Yeah knew this for some time, must have been asleep when the scan came out. Was kind of hoping it was for the Wii to be honest, means that they could have started the hype train for DQX coming. Ah well, hope it's better then the Joker, the whole island aspect just annoyed me.

For some reason, I think this might be the last DQ game for the DS, until the true successor of the DS comes out. But eh, what do I know :heh:

For some reason, I think this might be the last DQ game for the DS, until the true successor of the DS comes out. But eh, what do I know :heh:

Let's hope so! As long as VI and IX are actually released in Europe, of course.

VI has just been released in Japan so we probably won't get it for a while. I'm guessing a late Q3 / Q4 release. Who knows when we'll get DQIX.

I'm hoping we get a Motion Plus compatible DQ: Swords sequel on the Wii. The first game was pretty good, though the controls were a bit dodgy which Motion Plus can fix.

VI has just been released in Japan so we probably won't get it for a while. I'm guessing a late Q3 / Q4 release.

Most likely Q3, and I think we will get DQVI before IX, since Nintendo and Square-Enix are teaming in trying to make the DQ series a MUST OWN series in the west. With DQVI however, they will most likely translate and release with bugger all advertisement like they did with the rest of the dragon quest series.

I'm hoping we get a Motion Plus compatible DQ: Swords sequel on the Wii. The first game was pretty good, though the controls were a bit dodgy which Motion Plus can fix.

I am hoping for one myself, but I am hoping now that DQVI is out, a remake for DQVII is in the making for the Wii. Horii said he doesn't like ports which is what DQVII would be if on the DS. So come ooooon Wii :D

Funny fact, if any place they would stop releasing Dragon Quest, it would be the US, Europe is starting to realize that Dragon Quest is a better series then most RPG's out there

I know his character designs tend to look similar, but he's practically the same character design from Blue Dragon, just with longer hair. He's even wearing the same clothes. Either Toriyama forgot he used that character design before or it's some sort of crossover/camo type thing :heh:.

Forgot he's used that design? He clearly doesn't care!

The vast majority of character designs Toriyama has designed for videogames have been incredibly similar. It's virtually always a variation of some young guy with brown or black spikey hair and the outfits don't vary drastically either.

Going by memory the first Joker guy had silver hair though so I'll give him a little credit there.

Forgot he's used that design? He clearly doesn't care!

The vast majority of character designs Toriyama has designed for videogames have been incredibly similar. It's virtually always a variation of some young guy with brown or black spikey hair and the outfits don't vary drastically either.

Going by memory the first Joker guy had silver hair though so I'll give him a little credit there.

Out of all the Dragon Quest games, I think the character designs that he made look nothing like he usually does is Dragon Quest VII

dragon_quest_vii_japon.jpg

It's still got that Akira Toriyama's artistic feel to it, then I guess he went back to his usuall style with Dragon Quest VIII...

8119-bigthumbnail.jpg

In my opinion, it's better to perfect genius rather than just do a different style for the sake of it. People draw in a certain style because they're aiming for one specific thing.

(That said, I am doing some drawings in a different style at the moment for a friend, and I'm enjoying it.)

US release pretty much confirmed:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/gamelist.jsp?revealed=false&dsie=&sh=Dragon%20Quest&gf=&pf=&wifi=false&ww=&dw=&mic=&pap=&vc=&man=&al=&rf=&nf=&pp=&sf=&ef=

Listing went up on Gamefly a week or two ago as well.

Most likely will be the Professional version.

Yep, confirmed:

FEATURES:

• Become the world’s greatest Monster Scout in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker™

2, a spinoff of the

fan-favorite DRAGON QUEST core series. Players scout and collect monsters in order to build a team

to battle enemies.

• When a player’s party encounters other monsters in a battle, they can try to recruit those monsters with

their scouting skills. A meter on the top screen indicates the chance that players can scout a monster.

The higher the number, the higher the chance the monster will join a player’s party.

• More than 300 different monsters are available to scout and synthesize. By synthesizing two different

monsters, players can create new, more powerful monsters. These monsters can be customized using

more than 240 skill trees. Some monsters return from previous DRAGON QUEST games, while others

are new.

• In battles, monsters level up to learn new skills and become more powerful.

• Players can battle their monster teams against one another using a local wireless connection. Or, using

a broadband Internet connection, they can connect to Nintendo®

Wi-Fi Connection to battle against

other players.

• The Wi-Fi World Tournament lets players battle against other monster teams around the world.

• The game supports a variety of Tag Mode options that let players connect and share data with others:

○ Players who connect via Tag Mode with owners of DRAGON QUEST VI®

: Realms of Revelation™

or

DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™

can scout monsters from those games.

○ Players who connect via Tag Mode with other Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 players can battle

against them and have a chance to scout their monsters without affecting their games.

28th August US release.

edit: Apparently it's not the Professional version.

Edited by Ike

edit: Apparently it's not the Professional version.

No it's the normal version

Non pro has 311 and Pro has 421

Hmm, I really do fancy something like this on the 3DS, what with its "StreetPass" features and such.

The trouble is, I'm not sure I want another one on the DS. The first one, whilst pretty good in many ways, I just couldn't quite get to grips with. I didn't know if you're meant to synthesise your monsters ASAP or build up their skills and then synthesise. I opted for the former and eventually my monsters seemed too weak for the job.

Another issue for me is that it's totally unpredictable which type of monster you'll get by synthesising others. You can find out by consulting FAQs, but there's no real logic to it otherwise.

Still, I'm tempted and I salute Square-Enix/Nintendo for bringing it over.

Still, I'm tempted and I salute Square-Enix/Nintendo for bringing it over.

No, just give Nintendo a salute over in the US, Square-Enix US don't give 2 fucks about Dragon Quest anymore. They proved that with their lack of effort in DQV and their wise judgement of scrapping the party chat feature in DQIV.

Yep, all Nintendo's doing :bowdown:

The US release got delayed a little, not that it affects us (unless you're importing). Shame it won't be released while I'm in America.

Slightly off topic, but I picked up Dragon Quest Monsters: Battle Road Victory while it was £10, really fun game even though I won't be able to take full advantage of it (the card scanning and stuff).

Well who's getting this then? Sounds like a definite step up from DQ:M... which I'm yet to play, despite owning. :blush:

Originally Posted By Kat Bailey

What Monsters Joker 2 really does best is to create a bright, vibrant world that does a great job of paying homage to the Dragon Quest franchise while also giving it a different spin. It's a bit slow to start -- monster synthesis takes a bit to unlock -- but it's an overall rewarding experience and one of the best Nintendo DS games to be released this year.

PROS: The 3D cel-shaded graphics are lovely; large world with lots of personality; monster synthesis is interesting and rewarding.

CONS: A bit grind-heavy in the early portion of the game.

Gamepro

Played the Japanese version and yeah, it is grind heavy at the start. Had to grind to beat some bosses as well as the B/A rank Monster Scout battles (which happen pretty quick). Found I had to quickly switch my team out for some higher rank monsters pretty early.

Metal Slimes are fairly common though and you can get a tickets from chests to access areas with nothing but Metals Slimes.

I synthesised a Slime Stack fairly early in the game and found a quest requires you to synth one and ends up with better skills :angry:

One tip for early game is get a Mischievous Mole, it's Pyche Up ability makes scouting monsters a lot easier.

Didn't realise it's out in just over a week. :laughing:

I think i'll buy this game, wanted to get the first one, but never did. even if I did buy it im not sure if I can play it much, so ill probably buy it next year.

Got mine today :) None of the GAME group sites are selling it which isn't good :(.

Nice one. :hehe: Impressions?

Not sure really :laughing:.

If you liked Joker 1, you'll like Joker 2. From what I've gathered the online mode is better than Joker 1's, but I haven't tried it yet since I probably don't have a good enough team yet. Maybe I'll try it soon.

Beat the main game (30 hours), onto the post game stuff now.

Current team:

Living Status (A Rank)

Slime Tower (C rank?)

Devil at Arms (A Rank)

Pretty much just levelling some monsters to synthesise to make a better team to scout other monsters with atm.

Sign in to follow this