NEurope

I've grown to actually like touch screen typing. 'Click' noises and tactile, (perhaps minor vibrate) feedback can only enhance the actual physicality of touch screen typing for the better too.

Perhaps we will see a revolution of the traditional keyboard setup, perhaps handwriting recognition will be a major coup Apple have worked to develop...

Either way, touch screen typing is perhaps not as bad as we currently believe it to be(or predict) and it may be something we are forced to accept as a normality in a few years from now.

You could always get a Windows 7 tablet.

Are there any good ones of those?

You really have to remember Apple designs GUIs based on the physical interface. OS X is designed for a keyboard and mouse, iPhone OS is designed for a small touch screen. A device with a bigger touch screen will be designed around it.

Also, Apple has filed a patent for a touch screen device where GUI elements grow larger in a way as the finger gets closer to them, or something like that.

Ever tried to type on a touch screen? Really not comfortable after a few minutes.

(granted for showing things yes an office suite would be great)

I do have an iPod Touch, yes. Its not as good as a keyboard, but with a larger screen it certainly would be a lot better.

Wouldn't touch screen typing be AWFUL for your hands and fingers? Also, the main problem I have withe this replacing my laptop is that I use it a lot for writing. I type fast, I have to type fast, I don't look at the keyboard...but surely you will need to because there's nothing tactile to guide you fingers...

You will have to look at the keyboard though as it's on the screen, on a Desktop/Notebook the screen and keyboard are separate.

Typing with a touch screen isn't a problem providing the face buttons are big enough. That's a big problem I find with the iPod Touch/iPhone, the buttons are too small.

As it is, I only type with my index fingers anyway.

I do have an iPod Touch, yes. Its not as good as a keyboard, but with a larger screen it certainly would be a lot better.

I was thinking more back to my Woolworths days when they keys on the monitor were big, but hurt like hell to constantly poke them.

Of course this may be better, but I doubt you could use this to replace a laptop. But we shall see eh :)

Are there any good ones of those?

I don't know how good it is, but play.com have this. Although with this announcement I expect a lot more to come along soon. The OS already supports multitouch really well.

Wouldn't touch screen typing be AWFUL for your hands and fingers? Also, the main problem I have withe this replacing my laptop is that I use it a lot for writing. I type fast, I have to type fast, I don't look at the keyboard...but surely you will need to because there's nothing tactile to guide you fingers...

I don't think they will intend it to replace your laptop. It's not going to be for writing vast pieces of text, or any view to being a persons main working machine.

I agree with the first part but I have a touch screen phone and have become used to typing without looking. Suppose you get used to the physical size. (and no, its not an iPhone so I don't have to constantly check its not being all 'I know better than you' and replacing your words with random ones).

What Mobile are reporting that the tablet will go on sale in the US as soon as the press conference ends, with UK Apple stores selling it from tomorrow. Whether it's true or not I've no idea, but an interesting rumour anyway.

I certainly hope thats the case, I'll be straight down to the Oxford Street Apple store tomorrow morning if it is.

God I'm insane, we don't even know what the thing will do yet and I've already decided I need one.

Haha, I was joking with my lecturer today; asking if he would be watching with his debit card at the ready.

Is there anywhere to watch this live?

There will be various feeds telling us whats going on with pics and text. We'll have to wait a little while to see that actual thing in video form though.

Hehe you're not the only one! The next 50 minutes are going to kill me!

I've pissed myself.

Ha.

But I'm excited, even though I'm pretty confident it's going to be a modified iPhone OS, etc.

Still exciting.

So if the rumours are right who's going to be getting on?

I don't think I will... at least until my will power of wanting a new play thing breaks.

And someone is soooo getting fired for them pictures...

I love nights like this, reminds me of E3. I'm gonna stay quiet about whether I want one yet as we really don't know anything. I probably do though. Damn no monies :(

Right now, based on not a lot, I'll buy one as soon as I can. The only way I can see me not getting one is if it is just a bigger iPhone. The likelihood of that is pretty damn low though.

Yeah, I'm pretty much certain I'll get one. I'm off to watch Sherlock holmes now. Can't wait til I get out, all will be revealed! Can't wait. Hope we don't have to wait too long for it to come out