NEurope

Very jealous, I still haven't managed to get my hands on one despite a number of people trying for me while over in the states. With a but of luck I'll finally have one this time next week.

Glad you seem to like it, will be very interested to see your thoughts after some extended use.

Woot! My boss has managed to get me one - should have it in my hands Monday :grin:

You guys know that the iPad doesn't have a worldwide warranty right? So if you get a US one and it breaks you're screwed. There are people on Ebay selling them in Newcastle (where I'm from) for the same price as they are going to be over here but I'm biting the bullet and waiting for that reason.

I have a 64Gb 3G version pre ordered, can't wait for the 28th. I haven't been this excited for a product in years.

I believe Applecare gives you a worldwide warranty? If you're dropping £700 on one it's probably a sensible purchase anyway.

Was reading on one site about a guy who imported his to have a coke can explode all over it two days later. £600 gone. Gutted.

I believe Applecare gives you a worldwide warranty? If you're dropping £700 on one it's probably a sensible purchase anyway.

Was reading on one site about a guy who imported his to have a coke can explode all over it two days later. £600 gone. Gutted.

It does on everything but iPads and iPhones.

You guys know that the iPad doesn't have a worldwide warranty right? So if you get a US one and it breaks you're screwed. There are people on Ebay selling them in Newcastle (where I'm from) for the same price as they are going to be over here but I'm biting the bullet and waiting for that reason.

I have a 64Gb 3G version pre ordered, can't wait for the 28th. I haven't been this excited for a product in years.

I know about the worldwide warranty yes. I do like to live dangerously on occasion though. Either way, this product is 100% worth the early adoption.

You'll love it Caris.

I am not trying to start anything here, really I'm asking a genuine question and am curious to know the answer. I have a netbook, I'm using it right now, it cost about £250 and I just want it spelled out to me, other than style and a slim frame, what does the iPad have over a netbook?

Edited by Shorty

I am not trying to start anything here, really I'm asking a genuine question and am curious to know the answer. I have a netbook, I'm using it right now, it cost about £250 and I just want it spelled out to me, other than style and a slim frame, what does the iPad have over a netbook?

A touch screen and unexpandable memory. Which IMHO is worth the extra £300.

It's the sheer ease of use which defines it for me. If I just want to check something online, do e-mails, manage my photos/pictures or just watch TV (iphoneTV catchup) - it is simple, quick and for me, feels much better than a mouse/keyboard approach.

There is also the app store which offers something for most tastes and, of course the iPod itself.

I would put it like this:

My folks wanted me to check something online for their holidays so I handed the iPad to them, they not only managed to check their flight details but also checked on google maps (and street view) where they were going and were able to e-mail the details to my uncle abroad. All in an easy to do, accessible manner. This would have taken them an age (if at all) on a PC.

Sure you can do that on a laptop etc but it is perhaps the accessibility and simpleness of it all. And yes traditionalist PC users are questioning and stating the flaws of the iPad yet I think the beauty of the device is that it offers an alternative to a traditional format of accessing your own content and the web. All in a simple, accessible manner.

For that reason alone, to me, it is worth it. (In a similar way to the wii) the iPad redefines what we know in a specific market and on the way it offers so much freshness and so many possibilities that it is an exciting product to experience.

I would put it like this:

My folks wanted me to check something online for their holidays so I handed the iPad to them, they not only managed to check their flight details but also checked on google maps (and street view) where they were going and were able to e-mail the details to my uncle abroad. All in an easy to do, accessible manner. This would have taken them an age (if at all) on a PC.

Sure you can do that on a laptop etc but it is perhaps the accessibility and simpleness of it all.

lol, you're making it sound like it's only ideal for people who haven't a clue how to use a computer. :p

I've got an NC10 and it looks great as well as being extremely functional. The iPad just seems really awkwardly positioned; it's not this and it's not that. But it is expensive.

I think it's the speed that attracts people as well. You click the unlock button and it is instantly on, then you can instantly access anything. On my laptop I have to switch it on an wait for it to load if I want to do anything on it, or leave it on which runs down battery. Also the touch screen experience is (apparently) better than any laptop experience - I'm getting this from various people online and my cousin who has one, anyway.

Sure it's not a laptop, but I wouldn't say it's awkwardly positioned. It's not a laptop and it's not a phone - it's something different, and new; they've made a new platform. I'm sure when the first laptop was released people said something similar; it's a different, new and more interesting way of doing something you already do.

I think it's the speed that attracts people as well. You click the unlock button and it is instantly on, then you can instantly access anything. On my laptop I have to switch it on an wait for it to load if I want to do anything on it, or leave it on which runs down battery. Also the touch screen experience is (apparently) better than any laptop experience - I'm getting this from various people online and my cousin who has one, anyway.

By default, most laptops hibernate when you close them, this is probably saving more power than a locked iPad tbh...

Well I was asked what I thought the ipad has over a netbook and I said I felt it was way more accessible. I also didn't mean to insinuate that it is the only option for those who can't use a PC, you misinterpreted me.

However, I do believe this is a key facet of the system - like said before, it's kind of like what the wii is to the gaming scene. I believe this will be a big deal to consumers. Like Nintendo, Apple have perhaps created their own market. Like Nintendo, Apple haven't made the product cheap, like Nintendo, Apple have gone with a new control approach. Like Nintendo, Apple have kept out a lof of 'expected' functionalities, like the Wii, perhaps the product will receive a lot of negative attitude from other system owners...

Truth is you have PC's, laptops and netbooks yet they are fundamentally following a PC framework. The iPad doesn't, and i believe thats why it has sold good numbers and is a product attracting both positive and negative interest.

Only when people accept that fact and open up their minds that, yes, something else a little different can offer an exciting computing experience will they cease to put the ipad in the same bracket as what other, completely different products can do. I've had it in my hands for a few days now and I see it as it's own product, completely separate from my laptop - which is now arguably used for far greater purposes than just browsing the net. It has already changed my thoughts on what I use my computers for...

Im not here to justify why the ipad is good or bad, I'm just expressing my views, but what is interesting is when you state a positive of the product someone immediately jumps in saying a PC, laptop, netbook etc can do XYZ better!

I agree a lot of imitation exists in the iPad yet isn't that something we should celebrate instead of trying to use to justify our individual purchases?

Edited by tapedeck

For me it's because it's more portable and cheaper than a Laptop, has an amazing battery life, built in 3G, more durable (no fans, hard drives, hinges etc) and has a touch screen which is way more fun to use. I also like the way Tapedeck said about how you don't have to boot it up and shut it down, it's just there ready to use. As a bonus point I also have MobileMe, so the fact that it's going to sync all my contacts, calendars, bookmarks and give me perfect push email is great too.

Now I know people are going to say, well what about a netbook? I personally don't like them, I've been using Macs for about 4 year now and as much as I like Windows 7 (which I do) I would like to stick to Apple OS's if possible.

:)

I agree a lot of imitation exists in the iPad yet isn't that something we should celebrate instead of trying to use to justify our individual purchases?

I only really have a few negatives about the iPad which mean I wouldn't buy one:

1. the price, way too expensive for what you're getting.

2. the hardware ports

3. (this is the big one) the same OS as the iPod touch/iPhone, I just think they could've done something better. The current way is fine, but something else could've been thought up that makes use of the screen size and hardware.

Folders and multitasking in OS4 may solve this, but certain things definitely should've been improved from the start. For example, why is the keyboard a carbon copy of the iPod one? There is room to have numbers on the screen at the same time, you shouldn't have to switch from letters to numbers/characters. Also there's way more room for icons now, so why can't you increase the number per row?

It seems to me like a rather lazy product. It can't have really taken much innovation to make, it is essentially a large iPod touch, the operating system was already there, the hardware was a no brainer and hasn't even had any thought put into the design. The best new thing it has is the screen rotation lock switch.

To me it all seems like a set up for iPad 2.0, which is such an Apple thing to do. And don't get me wrong, I'm not a PC fanboy, I have an iPhone and love it, the iPad just feels like such a rushed product to me.

I have to say I actually agree with you on most of that. As I said back when the thing was announced I was expecting much much more from the product. Of course we will see an upgrade to it in 12 months time but at least Apple stick to one product in each category and generally upgrade them on this yearly basis. Most tech manufacturers are no where near as kind in their upgrade cycles.

I think overall the use of the iPhone OS is a good idea though, it would be a bit hard to fragment the OS market on their handheld devices for the sake of what probably wouldn't amount to a great deal of benefit. We have the new iPhone coming soon and we don't yet know all the extras that OS4 will bring, we could still have some pretty significant changes/upgrades. All I would have like to see is homescreen widgets on the iPad, I'm sure they will probably appear at some point.

I had a netbook back when they first appeared a few years ago and the thing was just a bit crap. Too small/under powered to use properly as a laptop and although portable I just couldn't really do anything with it while on the move or when wondering around the flat.

I don't have my iPad yet - hopefully tomorrow - so I can't properly judge the thing yet. But for me it's all about the apps working great with the hardware, being easily portable for travel with a great battery life and working straight away with all of my other apple products. I really think the device will be able to replace my current laptop with relative ease.

I only really have a few negatives about the iPad which mean I wouldn't buy one:

1. the price, way too expensive for what you're getting.

2. the hardware ports

3. (this is the big one) the same OS as the iPod touch/iPhone, I just think they could've done something better. The current way is fine, but something else could've been thought up that makes use of the screen size and hardware.

Folders and multitasking in OS4 may solve this, but certain things definitely should've been improved from the start. For example, why is the keyboard a carbon copy of the iPod one? There is room to have numbers on the screen at the same time, you shouldn't have to switch from letters to numbers/characters. Also there's way more room for icons now, so why can't you increase the number per row?

It seems to me like a rather lazy product. It can't have really taken much innovation to make, it is essentially a large iPod touch, the operating system was already there, the hardware was a no brainer and hasn't even had any thought put into the design. The best new thing it has is the screen rotation lock switch.

To me it all seems like a set up for iPad 2.0, which is such an Apple thing to do. And don't get me wrong, I'm not a PC fanboy, I have an iPhone and love it, the iPad just feels like such a rushed product to me.

Completely agree with bolded. To justify throwing a bucket of money at this product, Apple really need to have customised a better OS. Everyone's comparing it to a netbook/laptop yet its still in a comparatively backwards OS..

I can say for sure that I won't be buying one.. Not to say its bad or anything, it just doesn't interest me the way it is... (and not forgetting the awkward way you have to use it)

I'll wait for the OS update, it's adding a lot of things that I think should have been there from the start. I think it's criminal that it doesn't have an iSight camara, the iPad is tailor made for video calls.

Posting from mine now, its very sexy! Will post more later, unfortunately i have to work now.

Been using mine pretty much nonstop since yesterday now and I have to say I am very very impressed with this thing. Apps, games, browsing and video are all most excellent. For home usage this will easily replace my laptop. I absolutely love it. Looking forward to next week when the app store will be fully available here (I know i could get a us account but with only a week to wait I'd rather keep everything under one account).

I think anyone with doubts should really give one a go, they are very very impressive in the flesh. All of the doubters at work have pretty much been instantly converted.

Seconded. My laptop hasn't been used for a week.

I feel so dirty but liberated...

App store is now live in the UK, some apps still being held back for the actual product launch but it makes it a bit easier to spend silly sums of money on things for it.

Still agree with what I said above, this is possibly my all time favourite gadget.