NEurope

You make 4.94 posts a day here.

Yeah because I've been around for years...

that 80 pounds sounds worth the cost of having warranty to me...

Is that a dig? iPads have international warranty, I've checked and double checked.

Chuck, out of curiosity how are you avoiding import tax and duty? I'm guessing you know someone who's going stateside? After using one for a while today I'm considering putting an order in myself and that price would seal the deal for me.

Figured it'd be something like that. One of my mates is off to Florida in July so I'll get him to pick one up for me I think, can't turn down a £100 saving (16GB 3G).

Chuck, out of curiosity how are you avoiding import tax and duty? I'm guessing you know someone who's going stateside? After using one for a while today I'm considering putting an order in myself and that price would seal the deal for me.

My Uncle is coming over from the US. Had I given it more time I could have avoided using PayPal for extra savings, that's why it is around £80. The exchange rate can also give me a bigger saving (sometimes £5 between days).

Cool. One other question, are you certain you can get 3G on UK networks? I've not seen any reports confirming or denying that it works, but IFixIt's breakdown mentioned it only runs on 850, 1900 and 2100MHz bands, UK networks run on 900 and 1800MHz (the same as T-Mobile USA). If IFixIt are right then it'll only do Edge.

When I questioned about the warraty to Apple Manchester and Newcastle I explained that I would be getting an iPad from the US and would be bringing it back to the UK. Neither of them said anything about 3G not working in the UK. Caris tells me that according to MacRumours forums it works fine.

You do realize by the letter of the law, you still have to pay import tax even if you buy it in the US and bring it back.

Of that's right, the same can be said of any gifts my Uncle has brought over in the last 20 years. He has never been charged a penny.

At the end of the day, even if they are searching through every single bag at customs it is very difficult to prove. Nobody is avoiding it, if they want import tax I'll pay it.

Edited by Chuck

Exactly, it's something that's very rarely enforced.

In your situation importing is exactly what you should be doing - 3G is 100% fine on imports and warranty work is also confirmed as being fine.

You do realize by the letter of the law, you still have to pay import tax even if you buy it in the US and bring it back.

You do realise by the letter of the law, you should not have been able to have watched all of Friday Night Lights? :heh:

At least I was told to stay well clear of it at Uni, with the lecturers stressing the importance of websites being able to perform the same functions on as many browsers and devices as possible.

Shame about IE eh?

("IE eh" is fun to say...or maybe its the meds messing with my mind)

The iPad advert still amuses me. "iPad is magical. iPad is beautiful." I'm sure similar things were stated in Aum Shinrikyo adverts. But appleganda is part of apple's charm :)

You do realise by the letter of the law, you should not have been able to have watched all of Friday Night Lights? :heh:

Shame about IE eh?

The iPad advert still amuses me. "iPad is magical. iPad is beautiful." I'm sure similar things were stated in Aum Shinrikyo adverts. But appleganda is part of apple's charm :)

But I haven't seen all of FNL :heh:

What I have seen is from DVDs bought from amazon.com, with import charges paid.

Shame about IE eh?

What annoys me about the adverts is (and just American English in general) is that they forget that the word 'the' exists. "Let's go play some Xbox"... No, "Let's go play the Xbox".

Maybe they just play with one corner?

"For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever," [Hayao] Miyazaki [studio Ghibli head] said about the iPad. "It's disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying."

http://kotaku.com/5584979/hayao-miyazaki-compares-ipad-use-to-masturbation

Not trying to flame, just an amusing comparison.

I just bought an iPad. Was looking for a small laptop but I just couldn't find one that I was happy with inside my £400 budget. Not sure I'll be happy with the iPad either tbh, but I got sick of looking and got offered one at a really good price. It's basically for entertainment on the plane down to Tanzania next week (20 hours from my house to the first hotel!), photo editing while I'm there and for blogging what I see.

Any recommendations for apps? I've got a £15 voucher kicking around somewhere. Pages is pretty much a given, but I need a decent photo editor too. I'll probably pick up Wired, Monkey Island and Sam & Max before I go, any other stuff for entertainment (without a network connection)?

PhotoFX is good for photo editing.

Photoshop is free though.

Without a network connection...not really sure most of the apps I have are online based.

Good reader is a must if you like reading PDF's though.

I love my iPad and it sees usage everyday. Woot.

Oh...Osmos HD is awesome. :-)

Might go with PS to start with given it's free. Doesn't handle RAW images though (but not the end of the world given they can be 10-30MB each, I only got the 16GB model).

Keep hearing about Osmos, will give it a shot!

Well, it arrived! Can't believe how amazing the screen is and how responsive the device is! Quite happy with it so far, though I have come across that "how the hell am I supposed to type on this while lying down?" awkwardness. Still, keyboard is better than expected; I can pretty much touch type on it like I would a normal keyboard (well, semi-touch type, have to glance at the screen every few seconds to check my hands are in the right place. Auto-shift is throwing me out too, keep starting sentences with lower-case letters.

Really impressed with Wired magazine and Osmos so far. Deciding what apps to buy is proving tricky though, they're not at disposable prices like the iPhone ones :(

Well, it arrived! Can't believe how amazing the screen is and how responsive the device is! Quite happy with it so far, though I have come across that "how the hell am I supposed to type on this while lying down?" awkwardness. Still, keyboard is better than expected; I can pretty much touch type on it like I would a normal keyboard (well, semi-touch type, have to glance at the screen every few seconds to check my hands are in the right place. Auto-shift is throwing me out too, keep starting sentences with lower-case letters.

Really impressed with Wired magazine and Osmos so far. Deciding what apps to buy is proving tricky though, they're not at disposable prices like the iPhone ones :(

The Apple case, although maybe a bit expensive at £30) is actually pretty good, and will really help with the typing on it.

I assume you've got iBooks, which is a really nice app, although Kindle prices are far better, so best to get that as well.

Brushes is a very nice app for finger painting as well. It's fun just to play around with.

I had a whirl on one of these in the shop in Norwich, previously I thought well its just a huge iPod touch. But now I've been swayed, the iPad is one sexy bit of kit.

It is a big iPhone really, but to me, that's exactly why it's great. The same great experience but on a bigger more useable screen.

I keep seeing it on Entourage....awkwardly propped up by something.

I got Splashtop Remote a few days ago and decided to see what it was capable of this evening (what a fund Saturday night! :blank:).

007pk.jpg

Team Fortress 2 running on my PC, streamed over WiFi to my iPad. It kinda works, the game runs and you can move around. Controls are a nightmare though, the on-screen keyboard is useless (covering over half the screen) and touching the screen fires a shot (so if you turn you're constantly shooting). With a bit of tweaking and a Bluetooth keyboard it might actually be playable. Well impressed for 59p!

Edited by McPhee