NEurope

It shouldn't be a luxury item though! That's ridiculous. They shouldn't be making products like this and only selling them to gadget loving consumerists with more money than sense. They should be trying to start something, making iPad synonymous with tablet PC like iPod was for MP3 player. Have some ridiculous ideal like... "try to get one in every home like the television" and then actually see if you can do it. That's how technology is revolutionised. That's why most people I know that are not in the tech industry still have crappy phones and don't see the point in a smart phone. Look at the mobile history thread in gen chit-chat.

It's too early in the high quality multi-touch tablet's life to only have an appeal for people who have money to burn. You need either a lower price tag for what you get, or more functionality for your money.

Absolute dross. This item will sell to the general public, in fact I think the ipad is perfect for casual internet users and it will sell millions and millions and be as successful as the ipod and be in peoples homes all over the world, that IS their philosophy.

And most people I know that are NOT in the tech industry have smart phones... And more and more people will be getting smart phones. If you don't think smart phones will be the dominant phone in a few years or that tablet computers won't be the dominant computer then I think you're very shortsighted and will be very surprised.

However much people slag off its pointlessness, the fact is, for me, and clearly millions others, it is better to browse the web on a tablet than anything else, it is better to watch media casually on, however people (who haven't really even tried the thing for any amount of time) think it has awful games and that 99% of apps are shit, they are completely wrong (no subjectivity about it) and that even after less than a week it has some great games and some amazing apps. If the smartphones are anything to go buy things will be amazing in a years time.

I'm sounding like some PR machine, I just get wound up by people (on forums) instinct to bitch and moan and slag off thing, usually without any foundation or experience.

I've had experience with it and it is essentially an oversized iPod Touch with extra features. As it doesn't have any extra control input, then I can safely determine that the style and control of games on the iPad will be similar to the iPod Touch and have the exact same issues so my complaint is valid.

If the smartphones are anything to go buy things will be amazing in a years time.

In a year's time, they'll release a new model that has everything I want in the current model, and then I'll be interested ;)

If you don't think smart phones will be the dominant phone in a few years or that tablet computers won't be the dominant computer then I think you're very shortsighted and will be very surprised.
Smart phones will definitely dominate the phone market in a matter of years, but you really think the tablet is going to replace the desktop PC as the dominant computer? Touch interfaces will get better and better and the amount of tech you can cram into a 5mm slate will continually to increase exponentially.

I can picture their use in offices, take away the plastic user interfaces we're used to and lay your tablet pc down in a health-and-safety conscious stand, connect wirelessly to the company's network, open up a document and... begin tapping on your screen. But will that really be more productive in the average workspace than the keyboard and mouse?

Dazzy, your input is invaluable in this discussion, this is how forums are meant to be used. Wouldn't it be boring if every post said "It's great, it's the next best thing! I love mine!"? This thread would be 5 pages long not 20+. Please learn to debate without attacking people....

Edited by Shorty

They've actually sold 2million now worldwide. It's taken 60 days. The iphone took months to sell 2 million, which hopefully will help some people understand things a little better...

It's not necessarily about the functionality of the device for things like typing long documents etc. What it IS about is a great UI experience, a fast we browsing experience, and several thousand apps to cater for pretty much everything you could want. Apple has struck gold with the iphone and drawn enough attention to themselves in the handheld device market that the ipad is always going to sell well. But everyone knows apple. Yes they may say they want one in every home, but that doesn't mean they're going to charge a small amount for it. They're in it to make money, and they could have charged £1000 for it and it still would have sold. This is just how apple's business works. It IS a luxury item because of the price. You can get cheaper and arguably worse tablets but if you want the ipad you pay extra. And people want the ipad.

I'm afraid that criticising the app store is ridiculous at this point as it is not only stupidly successful but gives a chance to so many software developers. Serebii - you may have played one bad game/have problems controlling driving games on the ipod or ipad but you can't say that gaming on it is therefore bad. Sure one game may not be the best for you but there are several thousand more for you to try.

Bored of this now. Going to work.

In a year's time, they'll release a new model that has everything I want in the current model, and then I'll be interested ;)

Oh, then I think we agree. I don't think that where we are with both smartphone and tablet computers are good enough. I just mean that it is the future. They'll get refined and refined and competition will help with this; but I genuinely do believe they are both the future. I mean, when OS4 comes out, look at the difference between the first iPhone and where the new one will be.

Smart phones will definitely dominate the phone market in a matter of years, but you really think the tablet is going to replace the desktop PC as the dominant computer? Touch interfaces will get better and better and the amount of tech you can cram into a 5mm slate will continually to increase exponentially.

For most people definitely; I really do. For businesses that's a different thing; but then laptops and netbooks won't take over either; but already laptops are the dominant computer in the world; and I think tablets will over take them yeah. There will ALWAYS be a need for desktops, laptops and netbooks though; they won't replace them completely.

I can picture their use in offices, take away the plastic user interfaces we're used to and lay your tablet pc down in a health-and-safety conscious stand, connect wirelessly to the company's network, open up a document and... begin tapping on your screen. But will that really be more productive in the average workspace than the keyboard and mouse?

Again, no, I don't think so. Maybe. I'm really getting used to typing on the thing already. Like above, businesses it won't be, but I can see a lot of businesses using them. For example I work in film, and we have meetings with clients all the time; now we can show them our media - either via basic images or video or even powerpoint displays on an ipad. This is so much better and easier than taking a laptop or using their equipment. I think most kinds of businesses who have one to ones with clients could use a tablet computer do a lot of their presentation work.

Dazzy, your input is invaluable in this discussion, this is how forums are meant to be used. Wouldn't it be boring if every post said "It's great, it's the next best thing! I love mine!"? This thread would be 5 pages long not 20+. Please learn to debate without attacking people....

I didn't mean to attack anyone; I'm not quite sure where I did. But I'll apologise now if I have because that wasn't my intention. And I completely agree about debate.

I've had experience with it and it is essentially an oversized iPod Touch with extra features. As it doesn't have any extra control input, then I can safely determine that the style and control of games on the iPad will be similar to the iPod Touch and have the exact same issues so my complaint is valid.

I guess this is the subjectivity part, as although I prefer my DS for gaming but quite some way; I do think the iphone/pad are fantastic gaming devices. But then ultimately I see this as a nice extra rather than a main function. I also think the iPad is going to become a really great games platform, but we'll see.

I do agree that the touch controls are limiting (and why I'll probably always prefer my DS), games like NOVA and ASSASSINS CREED etc However good they are, it's still frustrating using non tactile sticks and buttons

If companies play to the systems strengths in regards to games and don't just release awful ports (Resi4) then it will be a viable system for gaming. Touch screen controls can be fabulous but the more games I play on this and my iPhone, the more reason I see for Nintendo adding buttons to the DS.

I'd love a Bluetooth controller for this and would genuinely use it as a gaming device if the big developers got on board. (jail breaking has brought about some fun looking stuff using wii remotes and emulators for evidence of possibilities.)

Games like Zen and xPlane, Rolando and some of Gameloft's titles are quality due to playing to the strengths of the systems they are on. A title like monkey ball is good on the iPad/iPhone but there has to be more innovation if the system is to become a dominant gaming platform.

Developers may flock to it for cash reasons but ultimately gamers will flock to it for quality experiences. Those saying Apple will destroy Nintendo are short sighted and nieve. If the iPad had a Mario 64/kart/metroid/Zelda esque game it would be a start. As it stands it doesn't have anything of that quality outside of GTA.

I've quite enjoyed reading the last few pages, as for once it's not fanboys vs haters.

Its expensive, I don't need it and it seems impractical....but I want it!

Its expensive, I don't need it and it seems impractical....but I want it!

:laughing:

I really want one, I just think I'd find it really useful. But at the same time the usefulness is what I'm generally doing on my Macbook.

I just can't justify getting one while I'm trying to save up money to move out and get my own house.

I'm hoping getting a new iPhone will satisfy that need for shiny new tech.

I saw my first one "in the wild" (as they say today). Some customer at work. Clearly thought he was both awesome and well endowed for having one. Had to laugh though. In the time it took me to serve all ten meals his one webpage still hadn't finished loading.

I had a go on an iPad in America a few weeks ago.

It was alright.

Felt nice.

I just have no use for it right now.

In a year I imagine I will own the 2nd generation one and be playing games on it all day.

God I love Adam Buxton!

hilarious.

Edited by Ashley

God I love Adam Buxton!

hilarious.

Fixed the tag for you.

And I fixed it with my modly ways.

m1275930352.jpg

I want to email Steve Jobs saying "I can get girls, I don't need fancy gadgets to fool them."

(its lies, but whatever :p)

I'm getting an iPad :) My girlfriend is going to buy me one for my birthday (and christmas....). Gonna get the 16GB wifi only one.

Aside from the ridiculous price for the higher models, I don't think I'd use 3G all that much, and with a device like that I don't think I'd have much of my music on it.

I shall get one in August. Can't wait!

16gb should be more an enough, I'm putting a fair amount of stuff on mine and still only used 5gb. If you do find you want it online all the time just buy a mifi later on.

Why the ever living fuck do people think the iPad is powerful.

It's objectively slower to render pages than any Atom netbook, choose whatever benchmark you like. There's nothing special about iPad, it's just a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 with a mobile PowerVR GPU, and only 256MB RAM. It's PERCEIVED to be fast because it only comes with flash based storage, and has very slick animations, and cannot multitask.

The Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field at its finest

It's objectively slower to render pages than any Atom netbook, choose whatever benchmark you like. There's nothing special about iPad, it's just a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 with a mobile PowerVR GPU, and only 256MB RAM. It's PERCEIVED to be fast because it only comes with flash based storage, and has very slick animations, and cannot multitask. ..yet

otherwise yes you are correct..

It's objectively slower to render pages than any Atom netbook, choose whatever benchmark you like. There's nothing special about iPad, it's just a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 with a mobile PowerVR GPU, and only 256MB RAM. It's PERCEIVED to be fast because it only comes with flash based storage, and has very slick animations, and cannot multitask.

It's only a fraction slower than my iMac hooked up through ethernet to a fibre optic 20mb connection.

I would say that's pretty quick for what is essetianly a smartphone.

Have you actually had a go on one? It is fast.

Also, it's not trying to be a netbook. It's powerful enough for what it wants to be.

Why do people feel the need to bitch and bitch and bitch about this device? I don't get it. The bitching usually entails comparisons to something this isn't...

Saw this in the paper today and thought it was worth a post...

"The iPad is the equivalent to having a blonde model as a girlfriend, good to tell your mates about but pretty useless at everything else."

Bought one earlier. Girlfriend lost her job, and decided to go to uni so my plans changed and I can afford to get one now.

Apple website says 7-10 days delivery.