NEurope

No you don't, seriously Cube get your facts right before you post.

The only Macs I've used have one mouse button, and their owners have no idea how to right click.

If someone goes out and spends near a grand on a Mac and doesn't know how to right click they shouldn't be allowed near a computer. Also just because there is one button doesn't mean it only has a left click, there is a right side to the button you know.

If someone goes out and spends near a grand on a Mac and doesn't know how to right click they shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

Well, it was someone from the business across the hallway who asked me to fix their outlook. I'll change my statement to "I have no problems with OSX and Macs".

Thats not what I said, just don't go saying stuff that isn't true.

That's all.

Well this is where my problems come in.

Watch films or listen to music:

Both of these mean you have to go through iTunes, which is a now bloated piece of software. More than once I've had it wipe all the music off my iPod and innumerous times has it crashed on me and my iPod while syncing.

Okay. Subjective. i think iTunes is great with some amazing stuff on there. I've never had problems with crashing.

Games:

It doesn't have flash so that's already removed a large amount of flash games. It doesn't have buttons so controls are limited. Yeah, there are apps but what about the past 30 years of PC gaming? That didn't go anywhere and you can play a lot of them on a netbook.

I'm on about the games made for the iphone ipad. A lo of them are brilliant and they'll only get better with the iPad. You are slagging something off you have no idea (neither do I) what will be produced for it. I'm pretty confident it will be a very good games device. Especially for traveling!

Read books:

Reading off a screen is awful. It literally means staring into a lamp. There are plenty of E-readers that do a much better job with E-ink. I was looking at one of the Sony's ones (not that I want one, I'm much happier with real pages for now) and it can read LRF, PDF, TXT, RTF, ePub. and a lot more (and play music and has a memory card reader).

But I'm not on about reading books on it all the time, I'm on about magazines, newspapers, documents and "maybe" the occassional book. Which I think it'll be great for.

The argument that the iPad is great for films goes against the argument that it is great from books because the type of screen needed for either one is very different.

I'm sorry, but on our laptops we read shit off it an we watch films. How come all of a sudden that's not good enough?!!

Basic work:

Yeah, I guess. But you're going to have to prop it on you lap because the back of the iPad is not flat.

This thing will rest on a table. Simple.

Then you've got the closed off app store which apple control completely.

So what. It's absolutely brilliant.

What I want to add is that the iPad haters are not being fair to it at all. One minute you're saying it's not as good as a netbook for certain things and then comparing it to an e-reader for us. you can't compare it against lots of different devices on different functions; you have to compare it to a single device.

Compared to a netbook. This thing is made so it can be be viewed very easily, much easier, you hold it like a book; this is great. It'll be much better to browse the web, watch films, read stuff from than a netbook. Simple. You can easily view it in bed or anywhere much more comfortably. And of course all the great apps and games and also that you can use the 3G network to access the net. This for me, is fantastic.

Compared to a kindle (and equivalent). They can't play media, not colour, not touch screen and are just very good e-readers.

So basically, it's a good single device for doing what you need. You know what, sometimes I hate carrying around my laptop. The last thing I want is to add a kindle to that.... plus I still don't have anything good enough to watch films on!!

Slag it off all you like, but this thing can do some things infinitely better than netbooks/laptops and the kindle....and vice versa of course. But I'd rather just the ONE device thanks.

If the iPad has the equivalent of jailbreaking, I might get it.....

...... in 2 generations time.......+ for the guts of the iphone I am not paying their asking price.

Otherwise a laptop does everything.

Enuff said.

If someone goes out and spends near a grand on a Mac and doesn't know how to right click they shouldn't be allowed near a computer. Also just because there is one button doesn't mean it only has a left click, there is a right side to the button you know.

The new mouse still doesn't have a third button does it? Or if it does it requires a button hold which means its no good for me. *Considering Apple advertises itself as designer-friendly (and, yes, it can be) its such a weird oversight. Anyway neither here nor there at the moment.

Just watched the iPad propaganda information video...is it a parody? Are they on drugs? Weird video. Also if you watch how they're holding it; knees up, holding it with their left hand. Try holding an A4 pad like that for 15 minutes, it starts to ache. Besides, you're not always going to be able to have your legs up anyway.

In response to the books debate; I presume what Daft wants from this thing is to be able to read books for uni and such, not "its okay to read quick things like magazines". That would open up a huge market.

Not giving a fuck about what came before in this thread but can people seriously read up on how right clicking work on a mac. It changed many years ago.

I love how people moan that it has no camera. Why should it have one? Imagine lifting that thing up to take a photo!?!?!

The new mouse still doesn't have a third button does it? Or if it does it requires a button hold which means its no good for me. *Considering Apple advertises itself as designer-friendly (and, yes, it can be) its such a weird oversight. Anyway neither here nor there at the moment.

Nah, just right/left click and gestures I'm afraid.

I love how people moan that it has no camera. Why should it have one? Imagine lifting that thing up to take a photo!?!?!

Front facing for Skype would have been nice.

It shouldn't be that heavy... if it is then it's too heavy.

But most people expected it to have a camera on the front of it...

You know, like how most Netbooks do.

Although Apple were probably too busy slagging off Netbooks to realise what they can do (a lot more than the iPad).

Okay. Subjective. i think iTunes is great with some amazing stuff on there. I've never had problems with crashing.

I'm on about the games made for the iphone ipad. A lo of them are brilliant and they'll only get better with the iPad. You are slagging something off you have no idea (neither do I) what will be produced for it. I'm pretty confident it will be a very good games device. Especially for traveling!

Read books:

Reading off a screen is awful. It literally means staring into a lamp. There are plenty of E-readers that do a much better job with E-ink. I was looking at one of the Sony's ones (not that I want one, I'm much happier with real pages for now) and it can read LRF, PDF, TXT, RTF, ePub. and a lot more (and play music and has a memory card reader).

But I'm not on about reading books on it all the time, I'm on about magazines, newspapers, documents and "maybe" the occassional book. Which I think it'll be great for.

I'm sorry, but on our laptops we read shit off it an we watch films. How come all of a sudden that's not good enough?!!

This thing will rest on a table. Simple.

So what. It's absolutely brilliant.

What I want to add is that the iPad haters are not being fair to it at all. One minute you're saying it's not as good as a netbook for certain things and then comparing it to an e-reader for us. you can't compare it against lots of different devices on different functions; you have to compare it to a single device.

Compared to a netbook. This thing is made so it can be be viewed very easily, much easier, you hold it like a book; this is great. It'll be much better to browse the web, watch films, read stuff from than a netbook. Simple. You can easily view it in bed or anywhere much more comfortably. And of course all the great apps and games and also that you can use the 3G network to access the net. This for me, is fantastic.

Compared to a kindle (and equivalent). They can't play media, not colour, not touch screen and are just very good e-readers.

So basically, it's a good single device for doing what you need. You know what, sometimes I hate carrying around my laptop. The last thing I want is to add a kindle to that.... plus I still don't have anything good enough to watch films on!!

Slag it off all you like, but this thing can do some things infinitely better than netbooks/laptops and the kindle....and vice versa of course. But I'd rather just the ONE device thanks.

We can compare it to each of these devices because it is claiming to do all of these things better than them..

I also don't get how this is more comfortable to use in bed that a netbook. i'my lying on on my bed now very comfy indeed!

No right click, no deal.

lmao.

Hang on... the iPad can't right click either?!?!!?

do-not-want-dog.jpg

To me they went DsxL on the iTouch. no amazing new features (at the moment anyway), media wise you'd be better buying a laptop, or a tablet pc, like the hp touchsmart which to me is like a much more thought out version of what the iPad is trying to be

Has this been posted?

Satoru Iwata Unimpressed With Apple's iPad

Nintendo's president shrugged off the just unveiled iPad tablet computer from Apple as delivering "no surprises," and displayed as little enthusiasm for 3-D technology and high-definition upgrades for games.

"It was a bigger iPod Touch," Satoru Iwata said of the much anticipated device shown Wednesday by Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs.

Iwata denied speculation in Japanese media that what Nintendo Co. has in the works in new gadgets may be a DS equipped with a motion-sensor similar to the wand for Nintendo's hit Wii home console, or a Wii upgraded for high-definition TVs.

"I question whether those features would be enough to get people to buy new machines," he said of the DS. Nintendo engineers are developing new machines, he said, without giving details.

Iwata also doesn't expect 3D video-gaming to catch on, although he welcomed 3D movies at theaters like James Cameron's hit "Avatar."

"I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?" he said at a Tokyo hotel.

Sony Corp. and other technology companies are making big investments in 3-D TVs, expecting it will boost sales growth in the next few years.

Kyoto-based Nintendo, the maker of Pokemon and Super Mario games, would also have to look into the possible health effects of longtime 3-D game playing, which is likely to last longer than a two-hour film, Iwata said.

Nintendo has scored success by making games easier to play for the elderly, women and newcomers. Iwata reiterated his company will continue on that track as potential for sales growth remains in Japan, the U.S. and Europe.

He made no pretense to hide he was totally unimpressed with the iPad.

"There were no surprises for me," said Iwata.

Apple says the iPad is a new kind of mobile device that is more intimate than a laptop but is packed with more functions than a mobile phone.

On Thursday, Nintendo reported April-December profit fell 9 percent as solid year-end sales failed to make up for the weak results for the earlier part of the fiscal year, a rising yen and a price cut for the Wii.

Also to noted Iwata is big Apple fan.

Iwata is an Apple fan himself, carrying an iPhone and using a Mac laptop on a regular basis.

"I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?" he said at a Tokyo hotel.

Coming from someone who created the virtual-boy!

"It was a bigger iPod Touch," Satoru Iwata said of the much anticipated device shown Wednesday by Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs.

Coming from someone who is releasing a DSi with just bigger screens!

Laughable! Well...i do want one of these ipads..but i can't believe you can't listen to music while surfing the web..i understand putting a ipod in and going through the net...but then..it kinda stops me using the 'ipod' section on it...hmmm i'll only be using it for the games on a bigger screen, surfing the net..and that 'art' programme and the ebooks (which annoyingly won't be availible at UK launch)...but then the price of the 16gb isn't exactly huge. Just thinking out-loud, don't need catty input.

Edited by Owen

Coming from someone who is releasing a DSi with just bigger screens!

Laughable! Well...i do want one of these ipads..but i can't believe you can't listen to music while surfing the web..i understand putting a ipod in and going through the net...but then..it kinda stops me using the 'ipod' section on it...hmmm i'll only be using it for the games on a bigger screen, surfing the net..and that 'art' programme and the ebooks (which annoyingly won't be availible at UK launch)...but then the price of the 16gb isn't exactly huge. Just thinking out-loud, don't need catty input.

Well that's how he knows, experience :p Although if he's worried about how people look playing games he never factored in how someone may look playing Wii Fit when their window looks out onto a busy courtyard :p

I think the comparisons with the DSXL and iPad are pretty moot. Yes, they're bigger versions of existing tech but the DSXL is being advertised as an optional variation (for around the same price), while the iPad is being advertised as the saviour of technology for £300 more.

Virtual Boy was designed by Gunpei Yokoi, inventor of the Game & Watch and Game Boy handhelds, as well as the Metroid franchise.

Satoru Iwata was apart of HAL and worked on Balloon Fight, EarthBound, and the Kirby games also Iwata is referring to what does the screen appear to people in the room not wearing 3D glasses as a question.

Ashley has said about DSi LL been adverted as large version of the DSi but Apple are markerting the iPad as brand new tech.

Edited by Dante

"I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?" - Iwata

Perhaps he means others looking at the TV. If you have friends round you're all going to have to wear 3D specs otherwise it will look blurry. At least without 3D everyone can see what is happening on screen. It's a decent point he's making IMO.

The more cynicism I see for the iPad the more I can't believe it. It's definitely a could have and not a should have. I just think that people are having a go about it as it's in the spotlight - sometimes hype doesn't help a company. Apple would have done well to hav just announced this a while back without the furore they whipped up in their self back patting.

Still, I'll be buying one for my grandmother who loves the internet but struggles to come to terms with a mouse or touchpad. I showed her the iPad and she said she could easily see herself using this for the internet as well as playing her puzzle games on!

The more I watch the videos the more I really see this as the future of home computing. With a little imagination in app design I think this will pretty much completely replace my laptop. Sure it's missing a few things that would have been really really nice, but theres nothing missing that is going to make the device unusable.

As tapedeck says, it's perfect for non-tech-savvy types, it's just so intuitive as to how things work. As an all purpose media consumption device I don't see anything else coming close.

I don't really care who the virtual boy was created by it still was a Nintendo product which was 3D and made you look stupid.

and the DSXL is a dearer price then a DSi and all it has is bigger screens..thats what i was getting at...and besides £300 more for the ipad and you get quite alot more tech....

I don't really look too deeply into these things. :wink:

Well, I don't like it. Can't see the point. Firstly, I think the iPhone is an amazing bit of kit but the iPad disappointed me. Some of the basic things it should do are not present.

I can't really see the need for one? The great thing about the iPhone is that is small, can fit in your pocket and can do what you want on the move. But the iPad to me just seems a bigger annoying version of it.

I also think that you won't be able to take it out for fear of getting mugged (well I wouldn't want to) so you may aswell buy a laptop which will be cheaper and can do a hell of a lot more like MULTITASKING.

Also saw this funnies (apologies if it's already been posted):

blutack.jpg

Oh and I don't know if you guys who were saying macs don't have a right click were being serious or not?? but they most certainly do. One button yes, the right hand side of that button is right click. Simple to use really.

Edited by Platty