NEurope

From Stephen Frys Twitter.

"Nothing you can say about the iPad matches the experience of using it. So much more than a large iPhone or small laptop. Stunning feel."

Gizmodo's take

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

My god, am I underwhelmed by the iPad. This is as inessential a product as I've ever seen, but beyond that, it has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make me judge anyone who buys one.

Big, Ugly Bezel

Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking

This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras

No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard

So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI/HD Video Out

Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad

Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash

No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters

So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

Re: good for watching videos... Yeah but then you have very little space to actually store many videos on. And the lack of wireless syncing is a joke as is the lack of a webcam and multitasking and etc... The Microsoft courier looked far more impressive/innovative.

Edit: Also they had the opportunity to really revolutionise how magazines/newspapers are read but they didn't seem to capatilise on it. An NYT app is not the answer. I'm sure it'll come but they needed a pdf style format + magazines/newspapers for the iBooks store.

The only thing that excites me about this device is playing arguably the only real fully multi touch iPhone game, Eliss, with a larger screen area.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

From Stephen Frys Twitter.

"Nothing you can say about the iPad matches the experience of using it. So much more than a large iPhone or small laptop. Stunning feel."

I wish that cunt would shut up. I almost gagged when I heard him in LittleBIGPlanet.

I wish that cunt would shut up. I almost gagged when I heard him in LittleBIGPlanet.

I kinda agree. People seem to take his opinion as utter fact. He has this omnipotent glow around him that just isn't based in reality. I'm an iMac/iPhone user but don't think I'm blinded by apple fanboyism. If you have Fry on Twitter, it's as clear as day that he's a massive Apple fanboy. They could do no wrong in his eyes.

This whole multitasking thing...does that mean on the iPad you couldn't be on a web browser, MSN and spotify at the same time?

It means exactly that. It's pretty unacceptable on the iPhone given the capabilities of other similar devices but on this?... It's criminal! Tis perfectly capable of it.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

It means exactly that. It's pretty unacceptable on the iPhone given the capabilities of other similar devices but on this?... It's criminal! Tis perfectly capable of it.

Reminds me why I binned my iPhone for a Blackberry.

*Laughs Manically*

I hope they make an ipad version of flight control with like 5 runways I would buy one for that.

I really don't understand what their target market is then. Oh wait, it's gonna be those lucky bastards who have more money than sense. :heh:

You obviously haven't paid much attention to CES.

Edit: And the $100 increment for memory size is a joke.

$499 - 16GB

$599 - 32GB

$699 - 64 GB

A machine for fanboys if ever I've seen one.

Does that mean if Sony had made it, you would be getting one? ;)

I agree with the want comment, but then, how much could you ever say you need many of the things you own? This would be especially arbitrary though.

I really don't understand what their target market is then. Oh wait, it's gonna be those lucky bastards who have more money than sense. :heh:

Exactly this! I do not get the target market. They seem to be trying to cater to everybody but in reality catering to absolutely nobody.

Exactly this! I do not get the target market. They seem to be trying to cater to everybody but in reality catering to absolutely nobody.

They're catering for companies who want this convesation repeatedly:

Company: Take a look at this.

Client: Oh is this the design for the project you're working on for me?

Company: No its an iPad. Ooooooh. DON'T TOUCH IT!

Does that mean if Sony had made it, you would be getting one? ;)

I was wondering that (see if I could understand what attracts the iTards) but I didn't buy a PS3 at launch. In fact I thought Sony were absolutely despicable with the European launch of the PS3. Search the Playstation thread, there's a post buried somewhere. Plus, I detest the PS3 Slim - it's bland and ugly.

I just...don't know.. what to say....

What a waste of time and money.

I'll stick with my awesome netbook. Just a few years too late, Apple!

Eh, what?

Some of these comments I just do not understand.

I don't understand your obsession with everything Apple either, no offence :heh:

I just don't see the point in this at all, so it's effectively just a bigger ipod touch?!

Why would anyone who has an iphone or touch then spend £500 on one of these? No multitasking is almost unforgivable. Give me my Samsung NC10 over this any day, at least that can actually do more than one thing at a time.

I was actually really looking forward to see how this turned out, waste of money apparently...

Eh, what?

Some of these comments I just do not understand.

Care to elaborate or... Y'know... actually contribute to the discussion?

I just don't see the point in this at all, so it's effectively just a bigger ipod touch?!

Why would anyone who has an iphone or touch then spend £500 on one of these? No multitasking is almost unforgivable. Give me my Samsung NC10 over this any day, at least that can actually do more than one thing at a time.

I was actually really looking forward to see how this turned out, waste of money apparently...

nc10 get innnnnnn! Wooo!

*high five*

Care to elaborate or... Y'know... actually contribute to the discussion?

I have done for 6 pages, now I can't really be bothered.