NEurope

108819_app-400.jpg

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few months, you've probably come across all these rumors about what Apple will be revealing on the 27th of this month.

Apple have been rumored to be making some sort of "Tablet" for quite some time now. Its been rumored to be anything from a larger iPod Touch, to a replacement for the MacBook Air.

A few months ago, someone at the New York Times accidentally said something about Apple making an "iSlate" before going into a meeting. It was rumored that Apple was collaborating with them in some way on this project. The Name "iSlate" is the term that most people are using to describe the device at this point.

Anyway, this morning a video was released by some random person, that's either a really convincing mock up, or the real thing:

http://distorted-loop.com/2010/01/23/4156/

Other rumors sprung up when it was found out that both IGN, and Kotaku (And I'm going to assume other gaming sites) were invited to the event.

The event is taking place just before Mac World, which Apple will not be attending this year for the first time.

In all likely hood, if they do reveal a Tablet, its not going to be the only thing they talk about. Refreshes to the MacBook Pros, as well as a new 30" cinema display, and an update to the Apple TV are also rumored.

I'm going to guess that most people wouldn't hold them like they would an iPod. More, resting on your lap, or something like that.

I'm really looking forward to see what this thing is. That's a pretty convincing video, but doesn't matter if it is or isn't; it'll do exactly that. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does; yeah it'll be great to watch and listen to media; yeah it'll rip off everything the kindle does and it'll be a computer...anything more? I think the biggest things will be the fact it can play all the apps and games from the appstore. All nice and I'll probably bag one, but I hope there's even more to it than that.

Also, for anyone interested, go on TED (the site or the app) and search for Jeff Han - great video from 4 years ago showing a multitouch personal computer screen

I'm going to guess that most people wouldn't hold them like they would an iPod. More, resting on your lap, or something like that.

Which will cause neck strain.

Seriously you complain about everything, it will cause neck strain? So will using a smart phone or reading a book.

You also say that the PS3 controller hurts your hands which I have never understood, I could play a Wii classic Controller made out of sharp glass for hours without it hurting if I was careful enough.

I am actually really looking forward to this... mostly because I want it to include pen support...

I'd have a lot of use for using this like a Clintiq as well as a portable system.

But let's be honest, this is Apple... even when they bring something out that I don't need, give it a few months down the line I fucking want one.

That's something which most people will scoff at, but it's what Apple are good at, creating markets and bringing products that were once quite small to the masses.

Anyway... yeah, for this to be something I pick up (nearly) straight away it will have to have pen support and also be able to install any other Mac compatible program - I don't want a closed system like the iPhone (which is... understandable for a phone, don't get me wrong).

But agh... just thinking about being able to have such a sweet looking (if that video is real) product while in bed, listening to some music while doing some digital painting or sculpting is freaking awesome.

And just being able to slide it into my bag and pop it out while in classes... agh, I've came everywhere.

Also, isn't it tipped to be called iPad?

I hope it's iSlate; that's sexy as hell.

Haha, so many innuendos.

All the rumors are pointing towards a tweaked version of the iPhone OS. It defiantly wont be like a Mac where you can install any program you want as most of them wont support touch.

But yes I've was going to get a new Macbook before Christmas but I'm going to wait for the Tablet as it sounds better.

Doesn't support touch? But your finger will just act like a mouse... of course it will use normal mac programs. It'll be a giant iphone with all the functionality of a macbook. Simple.

I'm still going to buy a macbook air though; I just need a keyboard when it comes to writing..... so a macbook air, iSlate and a new MacBook coming my way in 2010!!!

I'm really looking forward to this. What I'm most excited about at the moment is eReaders/eBooks, so I hope it includes that functionality. Also, of course I'd be interested if it was a gaming platform.

Apple are great at kickstarting new technologies, both in terms of getting the public interested and inspiring rivals to offer similar products.

iSlate was leaked by the New York Times.

iPad is a name owned but never used by Fujitsu. Apple is currently suing them to try and get the name on the grounds that its one letter off from iPod.

So it could go either way. I imagine the New York Times might have been involved with the project to develop a really good newspaper reader, or something like that.

Anyway. I'm guessing it will be a bit more like OS X than iPhone OS, but I really doubt its going to be running straight Snow Leopard, and I even more doubt you'll be able to run any .app file.

So it could go either way. I imagine the New York Times might have been involved with the project to develop a really good newspaper reader, or something like that.

And there was quite a lot about it in today's Sunday Times. I suppose there was in all the broadsheets, but still...

It being a kindle killer is a massive part of it, of course it will have that :) I just hope it's screen be like the supposed paper quality of the kindle...

Personally, a book reader doesn't appeal to me that much, though maybe newspapers, magazines and just general documents will be awesome to read with it.

I will bet my one and only nut the apps work with it emasher.

Seriously you complain about everything

I apologise for stating the problems that have been said for all the other tablet PCs that have been released. I suppose that this will be magically better because it's glossy.

It being a kindle killer is a massive part of it, of course it will have that :) I just hope it's screen be like the supposed paper quality of the kindle...

Personally, a book reader doesn't appeal to me that much, though maybe newspapers, magazines and just general documents will be awesome to read with it.

I will bet my one and only nut the apps work with it emasher.

I'm not talking about iPhone/iPod Touch apps. I'm talking about Mac applications, or .app files. I really doubt they'll work with it.

I am actually really looking forward to this... mostly because I want it to include pen support...

I'd have a lot of use for using this like a Clintiq as well as a portable system.

But let's be honest, this is Apple... even when they bring something out that I don't need, give it a few months down the line I fucking want one.

That's something which most people will scoff at, but it's what Apple are good at, creating markets and bringing products that were once quite small to the masses.

Anyway... yeah, for this to be something I pick up (nearly) straight away it will have to have pen support and also be able to install any other Mac compatible program - I don't want a closed system like the iPhone (which is... understandable for a phone, don't get me wrong).

But agh... just thinking about being able to have such a sweet looking (if that video is real) product while in bed, listening to some music while doing some digital painting or sculpting is freaking awesome.

And just being able to slide it into my bag and pop it out while in classes... agh, I've came everywhere.

Also, isn't it tipped to be called iPad?

I hope it's iSlate; that's sexy as hell.

Haha, so many innuendos.

Apology accepted.

So when is the thingie our time?

It's 6pm our time.

I am interested in it, but if it's just a glorfied iPhone; then i'll pass. I wish it did run normal osx, or at least capable of installing normall DMG's and the like. The price also has to be a factor, too expensive and it would just be stupid with the lowest priced macbook not far away from it and much better specced (all speculation of course).

I actually think it's two devices, ala iPhone and iPod Touch. It's the only way to get around the pricing problem that Apple have given themselves. They can't release a 3G-connected 7" tablet at the same price point as the iPhone, it'd cannibalise that market. It needs to be more expensive. At the same time though, how can they compete with Amazon's Kindle if their device costs £600? They need two devices, the first likely being a large-screen iPod Touch at the £300 mark (just right vs. the Kindle, it'd allow Apple to focus their marketing on everything extra that their device does for £100 more). For the second device I'd hope for something more powerful. If it's literally a large-screen iPhone sans the 'phone' part then they're on to a loser, most people would naturally choose one or the other. More powerful hardware along with a touch-screen version of iLife sounds about right to me.

I've also heard rumours that iPhone OS 4.0 is due to be unveiled (maybe even released) on the 27th.

Edited by McPhee

Hopefully that video is either real or very close to the type of thing we can expect from the tablet. Right now I'm planning on buying one, I wish I could stop myself but I know I won't be able to.

I actually think it's two devices, ala iPhone and iPod Touch. It's the only way to get around the pricing problem that Apple have given themselves. They can't release a 3G-connected 7" tablet at the same price point as the iPhone, it'd cannibalise that market. It needs to be more expensive. At the same time though, how can they compete with Amazon's Kindle if their device costs £600? They need two devices, the first likely being a large-screen iPod Touch at the £300 mark (just right vs. the Kindle, it'd allow Apple to focus their marketing on everything extra that their device does for £100 more). For the second device I'd hope for something more powerful. If it's literally a large-screen iPhone sans the 'phone' part then they're on to a loser, most people would naturally choose one or the other. More powerful hardware along with a touch-screen version of iLife sounds about right to me.

I've also heard rumours that iPhone OS 4.0 is due to be unveiled (maybe even released) on the 27th.

Also, I really don't agree with what you're saying. It's going to be at least 10" but that's not important. The fact is, what is lookig likely it will be is more than enough and very different to the iphone. Although you CAN watch video and go on the internet etc with the iphone, it's not incredible. A bigger tablet which is pretty much the middle ground between an iphone and a macbook is a huge thing and they can easily charge more for it.

And of course they can charge more than the kindle. It does insane amounts more, it's touch screen, it's colour, it goes on the internet, can play games and apps, will be able to play programmes etc. It'll be a touch screen notebook pretty much.

It's more likely to put the macbook irrelevant than the iphone.

Though I hope you're right about OS4...with multitasking!! And the ability to put apps into folders....

I actually think people are getting far too caught up in the iPhone comparisons. Just because it will be using similar touch screen technology doesn't mean it's going to be anywhere near similar to an iPhone in terms of overall functionality.