NEurope
Pancake

A Tale of drowned puppies and the coming of Armageddon

I would like to mention that the Halo exclusives will likely take a damn long time to hit PC and it's pretty unlikely GoW 2 will hit it. Along with ummm Crackdown...and yeah that's pretty much it for 360>PC exclusives.

Project Gotham Racing 4, Forza, Fable II (and III), Shadow Complex, Banjo Kazooie (admittedly I didn't like this, but a lot of people loved it) and the upcoming Alan Wake.

And these ones are more specific to me... the Naruto games and Beautiful Katamari.

But then the PS3 has Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Which are basically all I bought the PS3 for.

So what does this prove?

You should get both.

I knew I was forgetting some, and I also wasn't counting XBLA. (which....B&K could be played on PC). To my knowledge I thought Alan Wake was always slated for both PC and 360. I'm almost sure they've had videos from both versions.

Their point system is 1 point=1 cent, at least in the US. So 2000 points is $20, certainly makes more sense than 1600 points is $20.

The card system is certainly not for simplicity of use, its done in a way that you will always find your self just 100 or 200 points away from a new game and end up buying another 500 point card, leaving you with more superfluous points.

Speak of the devil

http://kotaku.com/5457011/microsoft-facing-lawsuit-over-xbox-live-pricing

Frivolous yes but hilarious at the same time. Go ahead and nail Nintendo too while your at it dude

Project Gotham Racing 4, Forza, Fable II (and III), Shadow Complex, Banjo Kazooie (admittedly I didn't like this, but a lot of people loved it) and the upcoming Alan Wake.

Fable and Shadow Complex, then. Alan Wake is sure to come up for the PC sooner or later and nobody buys a 360 for Crackdown, PGR or Banjo Kazooie! Plus, Forza pretty much cancels itself out with GT5.

The point is, IF you have gaming PC, it's stupid to get a 360, coz, no offense, but... Fable is okay and Shadow Complex is great, yeah, but there's no denying the fact that the PS3 is just much better when it comes to games. IF YOU HAVE A GAMING PC. Only then.

I also wasn't counting XBLA. (which....B&K could be played on PC).

I think he's talking about the brilliant Nuts & Bolts.

I think he's talking about the brilliant Nuts & Bolts.

Even if he wasn't talking about Nuts and Bolts... what?

I mean, I know you can emulate things but... surely taking into account illegal practices shouldn't come into play here?

Or else I could say, "PS3 games are the cheapest, just steal them!"

Fable II is so amazingly not amazing, the mind boggles.

They couldn't even make you feel like you had control of the hero, felt like I was on Ice the entire time

And these ones are more specific to me... the Naruto games and Beautiful Katamari.

But then the PS3 has Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Which are basically all I bought the PS3 for.

So what does this prove?

You should get both.

Then you're not really missing too much, to be honest. Fable II was an average game. Most people who liked the original BK games hated N&B...and it was pretty terrible. It was like driving on ice, and nothing like the original BK we all loved. It may as well have had two new random characters.

What 360 games you do get on the PC are usually a hell of a lot better than the console version, which I'd say more than makes up for the few games not ported.

I'd go as far to say that the online side of PS3 now is actually better than 360, and this is from someone who has had the PS3 since launch and a 360 for a number of years, both always online. Why? Just a few trivial things, because that is really all that separates them. So the defining things - some good PS3 games actually use dedicated servers, which is surprising considering you don't pay a thing. And on top of that, I'd say the PSN store has better games (original fun games such as Fat Princess, full PS3 games such as BP, Warhawk and whatnot, PS1 games like FFVII, and soon to be FFVIII - games consistently rated as the best of all time). And the store actually uses a coherent currency rather than points.

About the only thing I can think you can do on the 360 online and not the PS3 is communicate with someone who you're not playing online with while in different games. Which is about as used as a chocolate teapot, if we're honest. Voice chat comes into its own when you're playing together, otherwise it's just like a bleeding phone call. Except with someone who is currently playing a video game and probably giving you about 1/8th of their concentration.

Edited by Sheikah

I couldn't survive without party chat between people playing different games.

Then you're not really missing too much, to be honest. Fable II was an average game. Most people who liked the original BK games hated N&B...and it was pretty terrible. It was like driving on ice, and nothing like the original BK we all loved. It may as well have had two new random characters.

I do love it when we agree. : peace:

What 360 games you do get on the PC are usually a hell of a lot better than the console version, which I'd say more than makes up for the few games not ported.

How so? I mean, L4D or Mass Effect, I've played on both platforms and it seems equal to me.

I'd go as far to say that the online side of PS3 now is actually better than 360, and this is from someone who has had the PS3 since launch and a 360 for a number of years, both always online. Why? Just a few trivial things, because that is really all that separates them. So the defining things - some good PS3 games actually use dedicated servers, which is surprising considering you don't pay a thing. And on top of that, I'd say the PSN store has better games (original fun games such as Fat Princess, full PS3 games such as BP, Warhawk and whatnot, PS1 games like FFVII, and soon to be FFVIII - games consistently rated as the best of all time). And the store actually uses a coherent currency rather than points.

Can't say I agree with the online being better.

As for the PSN Store, maybe eventually it'll be better (I believe they'll soon be pretty much equal), but for now XBLA just has much more games and more great games. The PSN has it's share of great games, too! I love Flower, Eden, Critter Crunch or Fat Princess just as much as the next guy, and I actually preffer this "type" of game to the usual offerings on XBLA like Trials or Xplosion Man, but the fact is that XBLA just has more good games overall, for now. And don't forget the 360 has games on demand too, it's not just the PSN. I do agree that PS1 games are a welcome bonus, though, even if I do play them on the PSP.

As for the currency factor, yeah, actual currency is much better, but I have to confess I love me my MSPoints for a simple reason: I can get them much cheaper than their Euro value from over there, and on the PS3, I'm stuck payin the retail price over here. But yeah, an actual existing currency is obviously better, and you never end up with loose points.

About the only thing I can think you can do on the 360 online and not the PS3 is communicate with someone who you're not playing online with while in different games. Which is about as used as a chocolate teapot, if we're honest. Voice chat comes into its own when you're playing together, otherwise it's just like a bleeding phone call. Except with someone who is currently playing a video game and probably giving you about 1/8th of their concentration.

Yeah, I never really "got" the appeal of party chat, to be honest.

As for the currency factor, yeah, actual currency is much better, but I have to confess I love me my MSPoints for a simple reason: I can get them much cheaper than their Euro value from over there, and on the PS3, I'm stuck payin the retail price over here. But yeah, an actual existing currency is obviously better, and you never end up with loose points.

Buy PSN cards. Whilst I don't know any deals local to you, in the UK you can buy £20 of credit from Zavvi for £16, for instance. In that instance they're shipping a physical product, but I'm sure there's places that offer e-mail delivery at competitive prices, and for your local currency.

IHow so? I mean, L4D or Mass Effect, I've played on both platforms and it seems equal to me.

Well, graphically they are better(not a big thing, but it's what PC guys love) L4D also has bonuses of free content, and free multiplayer. Personally I prefer K/M over a controller, as I'm sure other do as well. PC generally has lower load times than consoles.

Little things, but they are there.

I've never really used Party chat, but most of the people I play with all just use Skype for the very reason of being able to chat no matter what is being played. Works great for crossplatform chatting as well. (hilarious with iSketch)

Edited by Nolan

Buy PSN cards. Whilst I don't know any deals local to you, in the UK you can buy £20 of credit from Zavvi for £16, for instance. In that instance they're shipping a physical product, but I'm sure there's places that offer e-mail delivery at competitive prices, and for your local currency.

The UK cards don't work over here. I have to use Euro Zone PSN cards. Or just pay by credit card. Either way, the 20Euro card costs 20 Euros, so...

Well, graphically they are better(not a big thing, but it's what PC guys love) L4D also has bonuses of free content, and free multiplayer. Personally I prefer K/M over a controller, as I'm sure other do as well. PC generally has lower load times than consoles.

Little things, but they are there.

I've never really used Party chat, but most of the people I play with all just use Skype for the very reason of being able to chat no matter what is being played. Works great for crossplatform chatting as well. (hilarious with iSketch)

K/M IS better than a controller. For FPS games and RTS games. And obviously point and click games.

But stuff like Mass Effect is much better with a controller! For me, anyways.

As for the graphics and load times, well, my pc isn't stronger than the 360, so it slips by me, but I can see it being "important". =P

I have a high end PC, really high end, but I often choose games on the 360 over PC for several reasons.

1) Party chat and a well established friends list on the 360 for multiplayer gaming.

2) Much less cheating and hacking online.

3) The xbox is in front of my sofa, not a single chair. Meaning I can play multiplayer games splitscreen with a friend which will always be better than online play, or pass around the controller to let others have a go much easier.

4) My xbox plays through a big screen TV, giving a much more cinematic feel to the great games such as Mass Effect.

5) Probably most important (and shameful): Gamerscore.

Mouse and Keyboard vs. Controller has never been an issue for me. I can play FPS pretty well on both (and amazingly on neither). Mass Effect worked great with a controller for me, and managed to make it feel a little more like the Action RPG it was designed to be, and a little less point-and-click. The only games I would say definitely work much better on a PC are strategy games, anything from Premiership Manager to C&C (although I did get on surprisingly well with the 360 controls for Red Alert 2).

Edited by Shorty

K/M IS better than a controller. For FPS games and RTS games. And obviously point and click games.

It's more personal preference. I find using a controller to be much more comfortable for FPS games.

As for point and click...I find it quite ironic that Telltale messed up the PC controls for Wallace & Gromit and Tales of Monkey Island just to they could easily port them to consoles.

Shorty makes valid points for the pc vs console argument, I think.

Essentially, the difference boils down to three things; taste, blu-ray, online. Taste is surely the most important element, for the others require you to invest in some way or another (PS3 you need to pay for the upgrade of your DVD collection rather than resist the change :P, xbox for the online fee).

The co-existence of both systems is a wonderful thing. The competition for our cash is the only reason for a company to ever offer something innovative.

This thread has made me realise that we are paying through the nose for what is obviously a service that could be free. But that isn't going to change at anytime, so I can't really do anything about it.

RE: microsoft points - I genuinely understand that they wanted to avoid having game prices change week-by-week with real-life exchange rates and inflation combating everything. The fact is consumers are always a bit 'err...' when a price is £12.52 rather than £12.99. It's like, too accurate a price. Consumers don't trust it.

But yeah, just switch to real money ffs.

I shouldn't be getting so upset that people consider gamepads as valid as M&K for FPS. You're just... wrong!

The "online" discussion? Yup, you pay on the 360. But to be honest and unbiased, I have both of them and the online on the PS3 isn't as good. At least from my experiences with it. Veredict? They're pretty equal in worth, the PS3's online is pretty fuckin awesome, considering it's free and while the 360's online might be a bit better, we shouldn't be payin for it (and I'm convinced we won't be, in a while), so score one for the PS3.

What makes you say this?

When it comes down to it I feel my PS3 is fairly future proof and as a piece of hardware is amazingly sold.

When it comes to my 360, I switch it on, the fan is violating ear drums (Yeah, I'm installing ME but that means I have to uninstall L4D because I'm stuck with a fucking 20Gb HDD...that only gives me 12Gbs or sommit), XBL needs renewing again, the dashboard is a cluttered mess and I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect it to RROD again.

I've just switched it on to play through Mass Effect again and honestly, I'd love to love it but in its current state of hardware, no way. Give me something smaller, silent and with an easily upgradable HDD and I'd probably love my 360 almost as much as my PS3 (Although Trophies take the game award cake. Gotta love those Platinums).

When it comes down to it I feel my PS3 is fairly future proof and as a piece of hardware is amazingly sold.

When it comes to my 360, I switch it on, the fan is violating ear drums (Yeah, I'm installing ME but that means I have to uninstall L4D because I'm stuck with a fucking 20Gb HDD...that only gives me 12Gbs or sommit), XBL needs renewing again, the dashboard is a cluttered mess and I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect it to RROD again.

I've just switched it on to play through Mass Effect again and honestly, I'd love to love it but in its current state of hardware, no way. Give me something smaller, silent and with an easily upgradable HDD and I'd probably love my 360 almost as much as my PS3 (Although Trophies take the game award cake. Gotta love those Platinums).

Well you have so many of them so it would be wrong not to.

I shouldn't be getting so upset that people consider gamepads as valid as M&K for FPS. You're just... wrong!

You're wrong. It does not matter when I play FPS games with analogues, it's an even playing field as everyone is using them, I'm never blaming the controller for my frailties, and there's something boring about just moving your hand and clicking over an opponents head. It seems less skillful, even it isn't the case. Plus there's the cocks like counter strike players which are too good with a mouse.

Basically I couldn't give a toss about your holy set up, don't talk as if your receiver is in the minority, being dumb. Overall, Puuc suuk duuk

You're wrong. It does not matter when I play FPS games with analogues, it's an even playing field as everyone is using them, I'm never blaming the controller for my frailties, and there's something boring about just moving your hand and clicking over an opponents head. It seems less skillful, even it isn't the case. Plus there's the cocks like counter strike players which are too good with a mouse.

Basically I couldn't give a toss about your holy set up, don't talk as if your receiver is in the minority, being dumb. Overall, Puuc suuk duuk

I think you misunderstood him. Like you said some people are just too good with K/M, in the same vein there are people like that with Controllers as well but the mouse users would beat controller hands down. Of course it's just not an issue outside Quake 3 on DC, playing that back in the day you could tell who had a mouse and who had the pad. Same principal now.

Well you have so many of them so it would be wrong not to.

I also racked up over 11,000 Achievement Points before switching. Platinums are definitely the way though.