NEurope
Pancake

A Tale of drowned puppies and the coming of Armageddon

Speaking of the PS3 how come you haven't been online in 2 weeks?

(Just asking).

haha ok you got me there. I do love the ps3 but i'm just saving up to get some games i'd love to play on-line... MW2 is a bit of fun..

Resident evil 5 is totally my most played ps3 game like. I thought the ps3 would get me into on-line gaming ... I just need super street fighter 4 and then ill woop you all :D

I would still say each console has its own "specialties". There are certain types of games that are more common on either console, even though the other has games of that genre. If we look at more cinematic games, like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, MGS4, ect. the PS3 wins. If we look at shooters, the 360 seems to have more. Note: I'm talking about each console having more games, not one having them, and the other not.

You know, the fact that we can have a thread comparing the 360 and the PS3 that for the most part has intelligent thought out arguments, and doesn't just descend immediately into a "Fanboy War" really does tell you something about this forum, compared to, say, Gametrailers, ect.

That's a point: where's Choze?

Have a immediately lowered the tone of this thread?

...I'm sorry, I'll leave now.

I bought an Xbox on a tight budget with a few decent games and soon realised that I'd made a mistake, I spent money on the console and wireless network adapter... Soon my batteries had run out and my 1 month of free live had expired and I was faced with the prospect of paying another £30-40 on batteries/cables and subscriptions, so I bit the bullet and sold it on principal to buy a PS3 instead.

Personally, I prefer the PS3, the overall experience it offers better suits my needs. For example, I found streaming to the 360 very unreliable as I like to watch TV series and movies streamed from my laptop to my TV via the games console, in my experience the PS3 is better eqiupped to handle this task and performs more reliably without juddering and stalling. Another advantage I've seen with the PS3 is the console's optical out port which allows an optical cable to run from the machine to a 5.1 soundsystem (or 7.1 if you're loaded). I can stream my music through this now and it sounds incredible. On the xbox not only do you have to buy the cable, but also a stupid (and very expensive) adapter to make the thing work. Though I accept not everyone is interested in streamiung and surround sound.

From a gaming perspective, I would side with the 360 - but it's marginal. Generally, games do run smoother on 360 with Bayonetta being the latest example. Though in recent times this gap has closed considerably and it's common that multi-platform games run equally well with only nit-picky differences. Also, by a whisker, the 360 library is more comprehensive, more varied and at a price-point, slightly cheaper (second hand market especially, I work in CeX and 360 games are almost always £2-5 cheaper). I personally find more exclusives that appeal to me on PS3 with this trend set to continue in 2010, however, both console have strong exclusives often matching up to each other. i.e Killzone & Halo / GT5 and Forza. Both consoles have very good downloadable game selections. PS3 has PS1 classics and Xbox has a few N64 games on there from rare as well as some excellent new I.Ps such as Shadow Complex and Trials HD.

The additional Blu-ray playback is a nice addition to the PS3 and if you're an avid movie fan it's a must. The sound and visual quality is incredible, particularly on CGI movies or high-production movies like The Dark Knight. While Xbox has a more rounded and in-depth online service, you have to pay for it and in my experience it's not £30 better than PSN by any stretch of the imagination. PS3 offers Home which is fun and always improving and still has huge potential, but I can accept that 'potential' isn't really grounds for selling a console.

Finally, I would suggest you do some research and decide for yourself, because at the end of the day they are both incredible machines which will more than meet your demands. Whichever one you choose you won't be disappointed - just make sure you make the right decision unlike me or you'll be forking out a lot more. See which one suits your needs and tastes the most and spend accordingly. : peace:

Well I bought a 20GB 360, just back from microsoft repairs for £70. And I don't need a bigger HDD.

So your saying the PS3 is expensive after you have just paid £70 on repairs for your 360?

I imagine there was supposed to be a comma after repairs.

Yeah there was. I bought it for £70, after it had just been repaired.

To get it out of the way straight away, I prefer my 360 over my PS3 by a very, very wide margin. But to keep this thread about cost...

I have the elite model, it cost about £220 brand new the week after it was released, with 3 games (Halo 3, Forza 2, Viva Pinata) and a second controller. It has a 120GB HDD and a couple of years later I still have 40GB free and several games installed for no good reason - which I could remove to save space.

I have always had a supply of rechargable batteries. Why anyone would use one-use batteries is completely beyond me in general. It's like using paper plates and throwing them away every day instead of buying ceramic ones. Oh hay, battery problem solved. On top of that I got a third official controller with an official rechargable battery pack for £9.99 brand new.

The Wifi, that's the real bitch here. It's extortionate how the RRP has never dropped for this tiny gadget, and how rarely shops have it on offer. However Homeplug is a cheaper and better solution, and there are free work-arounds to it as well, if you have a wifi enabled laptop to hand, or are near enough to your router to use ethernet.

I have paid for Xbox Live Gold. I paid about £27 for 13 months half way through last year. That's barely over £2 a month. Considering I spend more than that every day on my lunch, or that my broadband costs £20/mo, or that bread costs about £1.20 per loaf which lasts about a week - that's really absolutely nothing, is it? So please, stfu about the cost of online gaming on Xbox 360.

Also as a side note: I have never had poor performance with XBL (things like lag, high ping, random disconnection, unsynchronised friends lists etc.)

Edited by Shorty

I cant speak for XBLA, but the PSN constantly slashes prices on downloadable games. I also like the fact that Sony doesnt insult my intelligence with some arbitrary point system, by pricing things in real currency. Probably not a huge deal to most but the little things count too.

The bigger points have been satisfactorily addressed elsewhere in the thread

I cant speak for XBLA, but the PSN constantly slashes prices on downloadable games. I also like the fact that Sony doesnt insult my intelligence with some arbitrary point system, by pricing things in real currency. Probably not a huge deal to most but the little things count too.
You can buy XBLA games the same way now, too :) And they have a weekly deal where an XBLA games or addon pack is usually half price.

I have paid for Xbox Live Gold. I paid about £27 for 13 months half way through last year. That's barely over £2 a month. Considering I spend more than that every day on my lunch, or that my broadband costs £20/mo, or that bread costs about £1.20 per loaf which lasts about a week - that's really absolutely nothing, is it? So please, stfu about the cost of online gaming on Xbox 360.

Just going to stop you there because that's definitely spin, and it's something I see a lot. Reducing the total amount into bitesize chunks does indeed make it sound low cost. But in reality, I could just as easily go the other way and say that it's £150 if you plan to play the 360 online for a 5 year period (or have been paying since it started - likely more as Gold codes never used to be so cheap). And that's a real £150 you could have spent on other things in all honesty.

Hell, I could make a thousand pounds seem like nothing if I stated it was just "£1 a day for three years."

The 360 is cheap, but you don't get a lot. You pay a reasonable amount more for the PS3, but get a whole lot more.

Edited by Sheikah

You can buy XBLA games the same way now, too :) And they have a weekly deal where an XBLA games or addon pack is usually half price.

Ah good on MS, then my post can now be directed at WiiWare/VC *evil glare*

Ah good on MS, then my post can now be directed at WiiWare/VC *evil glare*

Their point system is 1 point=1 cent, at least in the US. So 2000 points is $20, certainly makes more sense than 1600 points is $20.

Just going to stop you there because that's definitely spin, and it's something I see a lot. Reducing the total amount into bitesize chunks does indeed make it sound low cost. But in reality, I could just as easily go the other way and say that it's £150 if you plan to play the 360 online for a 5 year period (or have been paying since it started - likely more as Gold codes never used to be so cheap). And that's a real £150 you could have spent on other things in all honesty.

Hell, I could make a thousand pounds seem like nothing if I stated it was just "£1 a day for three years."

The 360 is cheap, but you don't get a lot. You pay a reasonable amount more for the PS3, but get a whole lot more.

I'm not reducing it to bitesize chunks, I'm talking about what you pay monthly. People pay a lot of things monthly, such as ISP, electricity, gas, phone, rent/mortgage, and compared to that it's a drop in the ocean.

If I was trying to take you for a ride I would've said 6p a day or whatever, I was comparing it to what you already spend on a monthly basis.

£150 for 5 years of online gaming doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, 5 years is a very long time, if I bought it now I'd be nearly 30 and still gaming on that £150! If you're going to go for the big numbers the comparison still stands, in 5 years you will have spent nearly £1000 on broadband, another £1000 on your mobile phone contracts...

Their point system is 1 point=1 cent, at least in the US. So 2000 points is $20, certainly makes more sense than 1600 points is $20.
WiiWare is the biggest joker here. I saved up about 7000 stars in the GameCube era. Over the last year or two I have received various emails about how my stars have evaporated, now I'm down to 300 and never spent any. I tried to buy VC game points with them, but they sold out. Sold out!! Of Virtual Cards!!! Edited by Shorty

£150 for 5 years of online gaming doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, 5 years is a very long time, if I bought it now I'd be nearly 30 and still gaming on that £150! If you're going to go for the big numbers the comparison still stands, in 5 years you will have spent nearly £1000 on broadband, another £1000 on your mobile phone contracts...

Yeah, but with PS3 it's £0 for 5 years gaming. Or however many years, etc. I'm just pointing out that it's a serious total saving with the PS3 that many people seem hasty to forget, particularly when they point to the 360 as being "cheaper" (evidently not true in most cases). I have both consoles and I can say that I've actually had no problems on either online service, and that's with a hell of a lot of play.

Yeah i realize the exchange rate here but its still just a dumb idea. Especially when you have to go back in and enter your credit card info everytime you run out of points or waste time and gas to go buy a Wii points card. I can't remember how many times i started to buy a VC game only have to go through this dumb process because i was 100 pts. short. Like i said its not a huge deal but for a system based around the idea of simplicity, its pretty clumsy.

I'm not reducing it to bitesize chunks, I'm talking about what you pay monthly. People pay a lot of things monthly, such as ISP, electricity, gas, phone, rent/mortgage, and compared to that it's a drop in the ocean.

If I was trying to take you for a ride I would've said 6p a day or whatever, I was comparing it to what you already spend on a monthly basis.

I think you're missing the point on purpose, online gaming should be free to begin with, specially if its a p2p service as xbox live, in no way is it comparable to having electricity in the house. And while people continue to try to justify Microsoft for its current scheme, it will continue to happen. I'm just glad they can't pull that shit on the pc.

WiiWare is the biggest joker here. I saved up about 7000 stars in the GameCube era. Over the last year or two I have received various emails about how my stars have evaporated, now I'm down to 300 and never spent any. I tried to buy VC game points with them, but they sold out. Sold out!! Of Virtual Cards!!!

Stars don't have much to do with Wiiware points, its obvious they didn't want them to be equal in value, its more of a bonus marketing thing for Nintendo to promote some swag. And virtual cards are just codes, if they don't have that many generated, it can be sold out, it happened in Steam too recently during that crazy Christmas sale.

Yeah i realize the exchange rate here but its still just a dumb idea. Especially when you have to go back in and enter your credit card info everytime you run out of points or waste time and gas to go buy a Wii points card. I can't remember how many times i started to buy a VC game only have to go through this dumb process because i was 100 pts. short. Like i said its not a huge deal but for a system based around the idea of simplicity, its pretty clumsy.

The card system is certainly not for simplicity of use, its done in a way that you will always find your self just 100 or 200 points away from a new game and end up buying another 500 point card, leaving you with more superfluous points.

I think this video sums up everything in a mature and definitive manor.

Edited by Caris

I'm just glad they can't pull that shit on the pc.

Didn't stop them from trying though.

There are online retailers that sell cards at pretty good prices, and they can email the code to you the same day. In the long run things work out to be quite a bit cheaper.

So your saying the PS3 is expensive after you have just paid £70 on repairs for your 360?

I paid 150£ to get my 60GB PS3 fixed. That's Sony for ya.

--------

Jesus, this discussion again...

THERE IS NO "BETTER" CONSOLE.

The "online" discussion? Yup, you pay on the 360. But to be honest and unbiased, I have both of them and the online on the PS3 isn't as good. At least from my experiences with it. Veredict? They're pretty equal in worth, the PS3's online is pretty fuckin awesome, considering it's free and while the 360's online might be a bit better, we shouldn't be payin for it (and I'm convinced we won't be, in a while), so score one for the PS3.

As for the exclusives, it all boils down to this: do you have a gaming PC? If so, PS3 is clearly the best because if so then the 360 has no exclusives, which renders it obsolete. But if you're like me and you don't have one, then you have to acknowledge that not having the Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War and Left4Dead franchises and constantly getting fucked over when it comes to DLC (like with GTA4 and the delays with Fallout 3) is a big stain on the ps3, just as much as it's a stain on the 360 not having MGS, Uncharted, God Of War, Last Guardian or Killzone 2 (Heavy Rain isn't out yet, and I'm not convinced about it yet).

If you preffer the exclusives on the PS3 (like I do) or the ones on the 360 it's pretty much up to each one of you, but there isn't a "better" one

Like I said, if you have a gaming pc, though, flush the 360 down the toilet. But that's not the case with the majority. So depending on your situation, score one for the ps3 or score none for either.

XBLA vs PSN. This one's easy... XBLA is superior. Maybe in a year or two, they'll be equal, but right now, XBLA is clearly better. Score one for the 360.

Dual Shock 3/Sixaxis vs XBOX 360 pad?

Well, this one is easy...

Except for the horrendous D-Pad, the 360 controller is perfect.

The dual shock 3 however... isn't as ergonomic, the triggers suck (hooray for gioteck) and the analogs are way too loose and imprecise. You can claim to love it all you want, but there's a reason why the XCM Cross Battle Adapter sells so much and the fact that there isn't an adapter that does the opposite is no coincidence. Great D-Pad, though!

But... obviously, score one for the 360.

Blu Ray!!!! Yeah, score one for the PS3, don't even have to say anything.

Aww fuck it, in the end you should just go with the one who's games you preffer, because that's what it's all about!

As for the exclusives, it all boils down to this: do you have a gaming PC? If so, PS3 is clearly the best because if so then the 360 has no exclusives, which renders it obsolete.

I would like to mention that the Halo exclusives will likely take a damn long time to hit PC and it's pretty unlikely GoW 2 will hit it. Along with ummm Crackdown...and yeah that's pretty much it for 360>PC exclusives.