NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nightwolf

Dual screen

You need a video card with two VGA ports for starters (or DVI, but that monitor has a 15-pin d-sub cable so you'd need an adapter). Then it will just work straight away with Windows. Win+P can change the behaviour from extend to duplicate and further options will be in the display control panel. Software like Ultramon adds some great features.

Look at the back of your computer to where the monitor goes in, check that it has a second socket just like it next to it. VGA sockets have 15 pin holes and 2 screws on either side.

Right next to the one where I plug my monitor in I have another port exactly the same. So I'm assuming I can do.

Although I don't directly plug the monitor into the pc I use a white plug of sorts which the monitor cable plugs into.

If that makes sense?

You're fine then, but you might need an adapter (like the white thing you described). Does your spare port look like

03dvi_d-box-l.jpg

or like

VGA_port.jpg

It looks like the first, I use an adapter for the first screen I have. I'm assuming they are pretty easy to get ahold of anyway?

Yeah they cost next to nothing. Video cards often have one VGA and one DVI port, if that's the case with yours, you could presumably plug your current monitor (sans adapter) into that dvi port and this new monitor into the first port... if you get me.

Edit: I may be making things more confusing than they need to be here.

Edited by Shorty

Ah ok, I might have to see about getting this all sorted then. Seems relatively easy.

Hmm can't seem to find a vga socket for cheap?

Am I looking in completely wrong places?

Try ebay! they have adapters for like dirt cheap! but make sure you get the correct "gender" male / female to male/ female. Holes = female and pins = male.

Good luck with the dual monitor! I've got a 19" and a 24" setup and I swear by them! :)

ps: get Displayfusion (its better than ultramon, crashes less *i've used both*)

I found Display Fusion to be good.

But if you have Windows 7 why do you need anything like that anyway?

Windows 7 with the task bar at the very left side is the awesome ness good plus double.

I have vista, so I do have that problem :P.

I was partly not going on eBay because they can take so bloody long. But alas I will check.

I prefer Ultramon because of the Smart Taskbar, which means if you drag a window from screen 1 to screen 2, the taskbar button goes with it. It also adds "switch window" and "stretch to extended width" buttons to the window and the right-click menu of the taskbar button (which can be moved above the close button if it annoys you like it annoyed me).

Also I have been using Ultramon for years and honestly can't think of a single time it has ever crashed. I used it at work every single day and without it everything would take much longer!

That said, I have never used Display Fusion so who knows, it might be better :)

(doubt it)

I prefer Ultramon because of the Smart Taskbar, which means if you drag a window from screen 1 to screen 2, the taskbar button goes with it. It also adds "switch window" and "stretch to extended width" buttons to the window and the right-click menu of the taskbar button (which can be moved above the close button if it annoys you like it annoyed me).

Also I have been using Ultramon for years and honestly can't think of a single time it has ever crashed. I used it at work every single day and without it everything would take much longer!

That said, I have never used Display Fusion so who knows, it might be better :)

(doubt it)

To be honest DisplayFusion does all that! but I dont exactly work for them so pick whichever! It is most likely going to come down to the cost of the program *cough*

vista has dual monitor support too.. (which is a whooole fucking mile better than xp - xp used to randomly switch my monitor pictures around!!!)

I have dual monitor but never used such apps, how are they on resources?

Sign in to follow this