NEurope
Hero-of-Time

NBA Jam!!

Probably inevitable due to the sheer excitement this has garnered. Another wii exclusive bites the dust thus sales may be affected as those with both systems may wait for the HD version. We will see.

It will be infuriating if they have online and other features the wii doesn't... Sort of predictable, but another shit in the face for Wii owners

IGN have a preview up in which they talk about two game modes that are exclusive to the Wii version of NBA Jam:

The first is Backboard Smash, a fun variation that shifts the game's mechanic and encourages far more dunking than the standard game does. In this mode, each team's backboard has a power bar not unlike a character's health in, say, Street Fighter. With each successful shot, that backboard gets weakened, represented by cracks in the glass, explosive particle effects, and, of course, the power bar getting drained away with that shot.

There's no score here: the task is to simply take the other player's backboard down by making baskets. You don't want to lay up or shoot threes in this mode because that'll only net you a slight tick on the health bar. Instead, you want to go up and jam the ball, hard…either by yourself or with a player assisted alley-oop.

The gameplay doesn't change much, but the strategy sure does: it's a lot more aggressive preventing the player from going airborne for a dunk attempt, and you rarely want to abort a jam in progress with a lay-up fake.

The second mode is a boss battle of sorts with players going one-one-one against NBA legends. This mode was hugely reminiscent of One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird (or Jordan vs. Bird for those more "new school") from back in Electronic Arts' olden days – the camera swoops to a new position behind the key and players go after an incredibly aggressive (almost to the point of cheating) adversary in a solo match-up.

In the demo, we went up against Magic Johnson, whose NBA Jam rendition lived up to his namesake. He could pass the ball to any location on the court and teleport straight to it for an instant dunk, and since this is a "winner's outs" mode you're best to make sure he doesn't score. There's a pattern to recognize in these battles, or rather, there's a specific technique to learn in order to successfully pass the challenge, making these encounters have a bit of a Punch-Out!! to them: you have to watch for the character to telegraph his move to know how to react.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/110/1107630p1.html

The PS3 section of IGN are saying that NBA Jam will be given away with NBA Elite 11.

EA Sports announced today that NBA Elite 11, the new basketball sim that spawned from the once-great NBA Live franchise, will come bundled with a one-time download code for a new, high-definition version of NBA Jam for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

If you've seen any of our coverage of NBA Jam for Wii (winner of our Sports Game of the Show Award at E3), then this announcement should have you mighty excited to see what EA Sports can do with the added horsepower of HD consoles.

The bundle of NBA Elite 11 and a download code for NBA Jam will hit store shelves on October 5 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for $59.99.

Wii users concerned about their version being overshadowed should rest easy knowing that the Xbox 360 and PS3 downloads feature a scaled back set of game modes. For the $59.99 price tag of NBA Elite 11, players will be able to enjoy the Classic Campaign (a simple ladder-style tournament that pits you against the rest of the league) and an Exhibition Mode. The HD versions, however, will support online multiplayer over Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, a feature that has yet to be confirmed for Wii users.

As fate would have it, I recently took a trip up to Vancouver to get my hands on an early build of NBA Jam and we'll have the first hands-on and direct-feed footage this Friday on IGN. For now, feast your eyes on our pair of screenshots and be sure to note the fantastic facial expressions.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109971p1.html

Has online even been outright confirmed for the Wii version? Hmm.

The backlash on Kotaku was brilliant, the commenters are all angry about the fact that they either have to buy Elite to get a cut-down version of Jam, or buy the Wii version (tantamount to disembowelling their own bodies with an ice cream scoop, evidently).

I don't think online has been properly confirmed for the Wii version, although I have heard developer rumblings that they're working on it/trying to get it up and running with the last thing I heard being that it's working but it still needed a lot of work.

But yeh, nice to see that the Wii game isn't being put on the back foot for once. Just as you Tellyn, I had a read through the comments on Kotaku and it's pretty hilarious. Yet the number of people still complaining about their Wiis collecting dust over there is remarkable. It baffles me really why they'd bother to own the console at all, if they infact do own it which I doubt many of them saying that do.

No online multiplayer for NBA JAM Wii:

Taken from an EA Twitter:

What an utter joke. F*ck EA and f*ck this game. This is even more of an insult when other devs are getting it together and offering really robust online Wii experiences - Monster Hunter Tri with Wii Speak and servers, COD: Black Ops and the Conduit 2 both with headsets and voice chat. The whole charm of NBA Jam was the multiplayer, this really is a poor showing, especially when it was meant to be Wii Exclusive, now it's multiplatform and BETTER on the others... what a JOKE.

The lack of online on Wii may be the killer for me :hmm:

I'm not really all that keen on basketball games but I was certainly interested in checking out NBA Jam for all the mayhem :eek: I would have been looking forward to playing lots of you guys but now that it won't be possible, the appeal has severealy dropped :sad:

Mario Strikers was a fun game. But, what made it so replayable was the fact that I could go online and play other people from here, have tournaments, etc. It was brilliant. One of my favourite multiplayer experiences.

When this was first shown, my first thought was "wow, the online will be fun, so many matches to look forward to."

How has it gone from a Wii exclusive to this? Like Zech said, third party, and the Wii has gone from being the leading version to, well, this. Online, by this point, should be an absolute given by now. We shouldn't be saying "fuck yeah, it's got online." We should already know it'll be online as soon as we hear that it features some form of multiplayer.

Tragic. Absolutely no chance of me buying this. In fact, I'm not buying it out of principle now. To go from exclusive to not exclusive as well as lacking the key multiplayer features from the other versions...unforgivable.

Oh man, what a mess! :shakehead

EA, you absolute plonkers. This was going to be huge, now it's just... meh. :blank:

There really is no excuse either, I mean we know that 12 players at 60fps is possible, so how in the hell could they not manage 2?! ::shrug:

I'd have preferred for them to just hold the game back, even beyond the other console versions, and just make sure that online play was a part of the game.

This is going to have to hit bargain bucket, BIG-STYLE in order for me to pick it up now.

There really is no excuse either, I mean we know that 12 players at 60fps is possible, so how in the hell could they not manage 2?! ::shrug:

And especially with it being EA, they already have EA Nation up and running. All they have to do is add NBA Jam to that and we're good to go. You have to wonder who makes these decisions.

NBA Elite delayed/NBA Jam coming as standalone game

Over the past three years, EA SPORTS development teams have had a laser focus on creating titles packed with innovation and unsurpassed quality. The acclaim from fans and critics on most of our titles the past few years makes us proud and it also motivates us to keep getting better.

This year, we set extremely ambitious goals for our new franchise, NBA ELITE. We are creating a game that will introduce several breakthrough features that have been missing from the basketball genre. Unfortunately, NBA ELITE 11 is not yet ready and we have made a decision to delay next month’s launch. We are going to keep working until we’re certain we can deliver a breakthrough basketball experience.

In the meantime, the NBA season is just around the corner and we have a plan to keep our consumers close to the action:

-NBA JAM will launch on the Wii, as scheduled, on October 5. NBA JAM won recognition this summer as the best sports game at E3 and it’s a blast to play. In addition to the Wii version, we’re going to ship NBA JAM as a standalone product on the Xbox360 and PS3 in time for the holidays. Watch for more news soon on the exact timing of that release.

-For NBA LIVE 10 players, we will continue to offer free content and services throughout the 2010-11 season. We will start with a new roster update so you get all the players for the new season, free of charge. We will also provide free Dynamic DNA updates, daily, for the entire season. That’s a full season of basketball with new rosters and updates, free.

The decision to delay NBA ELITE was hard because the game has great promise. But ultimately we feel this is the right thing to do. We’ve been making steady progress on basketball for the past few years and it’s going to take extra time to make the game.

Why make this decision now? As with all of our titles, we continue to evaluate and improve the code right up until launch. Feedback from consumers is a very important part of the process . NBA ELITE had the benefit of play-testing, a demo and a lot of our own research. All that feedback revealed some concerns about gameplay polish, so we’ve listened to your feedback, and made a judgment that the game would benefit from more time in development.

I want to thank our NBA ELITE development team for their efforts to meet this year’s lofty goals, and we’re behind them as they continue their work. While no one is happy with this delay, we appreciate the support and ongoing feedback from our fans. We’ll have more information coming soon.

looks great but not gonna get it on Wii as no online. Nintendo should have done more and pushed EA to include online play.

Just gonna wait for 360 version now.

Anyone know for sure whether this is out tomorrow or not here? Both GAME and Gamestation have the game labelled as NBA Jam 2011 for some reason and say it's out tomorrow but HMV have it down for the 22nd and Amazon just have it down for 2010 from what I remember when I last checked.

Where'd all the hype go for this?
When they announced the Wii version wasn't getting online!

The gametrailers review says the game just isn't fun playing alone against the computer, as there is major rubber-banding, the computer gets all the powers ups before you get a chance/realise they're there, and the tournament just becomes a bit boring after a while.

But if you have a bunch of friends around, or play it online it's great fun!

Edited by Retro_Link

This game annoys me because I'm excited about it but still hugely disappointed with how everything has panned out. :(

Same here snowy. How they haven't included online is beyond annoying. So disheartened but it all. I guess it's Nintendos fault to an extent, just hope they learn from their mistakes.

I'll probably still get it though... is there 360 version exactly the same but with online!?

I'll probably still get it though... is there 360 version exactly the same but with online!?
Yep, but don't think there's a date yet.