NEurope
Retro_Link

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

I feel like I should be excited by this but I'm just... not.

What a cop out. I enjoyed the Nolan North Prince of Persia game more than the first 3 games. Now that's been closed down for a movie tie-in? Fuck you, Ubisoftz.

I don't think it's a movie tie-in... it will be released around the same time, but this is a new story in the Sands of Time saga, where as the movie is based on The Sands of Time.

Thank god we won't have to listen to that terrible voice acting and countless "ass" jokes any more.

Edited by Cube

Looks like a bit of a backward step to me. The last game's art style was lush, and whilst the characters rubbed some people the wrong way they evolved quite a bit throughout the game so would have been more palatable to people in a sequel. Likewise a lot of people considered the game too hands-off, but there's no reason they couldn't have remedied that whilst sticking with the same story arc and aesthetics.

The trailer for this just looks completely uninspiring.

Lame...I'm already missing Prince Nathan Drake of Persia and his tart.

Well, I guess I'm the only one that liked this trailer, thus far.

I haven't yet played the current-gen PoP, but having replayed The Sands of Time just this week, I'm excited for a new game in its style. The Sands of Time is one of the best 3D platformers I've played. Much different than any of the Mario games, so not really comparable, but I love both styles. PoP:SoT was a more linear game, much like the old 2D ones and I liked that. I've always wanted a 3D Mario game that was completely linear, as opposed to a bunch of sandbox levels. You can say that SMG is like that, actually, I thought its levels were much more linear and I welcomed that.

Anyway, Sands of Time is one of the greats and I welcome this new PoP.

I don't think it's a movie tie-in... it will be released around the same time, but this is a new story in the Sands of Time saga, where as the movie is based on The Sands of Time.

What? It's a total movie fucking tie-in. It's coming out the same month, they've gone for a look that very closely resembles the film, even the fucking font for 'The Forgotten Sands' is the same as the film's title.

I absolutely loved the direction they took the franchise with the last game. What a complete and utter disappointment.

Still... I don't doubt it will be fun to play.

What? It's a total movie fucking tie-in. It's coming out the same month, they've gone for a look that very closely resembles the film, even the fucking font for 'The Forgotten Sands' is the same as the film's title.

Agreed.

The font they've used (as you say pretty much identical to the film) looks ridiculous next to the logo.

i did enjoy the last pop game, and seing as how, even if you forked out for the DLC, you still had a major cliff hanger, i feel kinda cheated by this.

that said, sands of time was a fantastic game, so maybe its for the best?

Ooooh boy does this look bad. Blatantly a movie tie-in I'd say. It looks even more uninspired than Warrior Within.

Not often nowadays you see a completely CG trailer either...and could the voice over be talking any more generic gibberish nonsense?

I absolutely loved the direction they took the franchise with the last game. What a complete and utter disappointment.

Still... I don't doubt it will be fun to play.

Alright... fucking hell!

I just meant it's not a game of the film.

Pssh, why does he move like an idiot, less time on graphics move time on movement people.

I'm not excited, the last prince of persia was incredibly pretty but it lacked on everything else. So it doesn't bode well for this one.

New details:

Ubisoft's released the first details and images of Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, following on from the teaser trailer released this weekend.

Forgotten Sands - which is due out in May next year - will "expand the Prince of Persia universe with a new storyline, the introduction of new characters, and new powers over nature and time," says Ubisoft.

The game takes place between Prince of Persia The Sands of Time and Prince of Persia Warrior Within and has the Prince visiting his brother's kingdom following his adventure in Azad, only to find the royal palace under siege from a mighty army bent on its destruction.

Game features include (in the publisher's words):

"Classic Gameplay Reinvented: From huge-scale multi-enemy combat to dizzying feats of acrobatic prowess in gigantic environments enhanced by the Prince's ability to control nature and time, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands will push the Prince's prodigious abilities to unseen levels.

"A Blockbuster Experience: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands will offer players unforgettable set pieces made possible by the advanced technology offered by the award-winning Anvil engine. With all-out war at the gates of the kingdom, the Prince's abilities will be challenged like never before through the course of epic wow moments.

"Mastery Over Nature: Wielding powers of nature and time, the Prince will have unparalleled mastery over his environment and his enemies. The Prince will discover that harnessing the forces of nature itself will prove to be a devastating companion to his ability to rewind time.

"Return of a Fan-Favourite Franchise: Set between Prince of Persia The Sands of Time and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands will provide fans a new chapter in the Prince of Persia universe and deepen their understanding of the Sands of Time series.

Wii, Nintendo DS and PSP system versions will feature "a different gaming experience" from the versions for Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 system, Ubisoft adds.

Interview:

During a recent Ubisoft preview event, Michael McIntyre, director of level design for Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, talked to Joystiq about the new sequel to the old trilogy, establishing its connection to the Sands of Time game series and the Bruckheimer film. The Forgotten Sands is a side story, based in the Sands of Time universe, bridging the seven-year gap between the original Sands of Time game and its sequel, Warrior Within.

Clearly, Ubisoft has positioned the next game to piggyback on the Bruckheimer blockbuster and ideally generate renewed sales for the brand (which underperformed in its 2008 iteration). Forgotten Sands is also an opportunity for Ubisoft to finally justify the Prince's remarkable transformation from carefree hero to brooding, emo warrior.

Continue reading for our full interview with Michael McIntyre -- after the break -- in which he reveals new (and rewinding revisited) elements in the game and the return of a familiar voice.

Which Prince of Persia games have you worked on?

Michael McIntyre: I worked on the Prince of Persia from 2008, I worked on Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and this one. (And the DLC for the last one, as well.)

How long how has The Forgotten Sands been in development, and when was it decided it would be a continuation of The Sands of Time series?

The game's been in development for a year and a half now, and it was decided that it would be part of The Sands of Time franchise fairly early in development -- that it would be the same Prince, same universe.

How are you going to communicate the difference between the two Prince of Persia universes, The Sand of Times and the reboot from 2008?

I don't know exactly how they're gonna go about that. The Prince of Persia that came out in 2008 is totally its own universe. This one is back in Sands of Time and it's a fan favorite -- The Sands of Time universe. So I don't think we're gonna have any problem saying, "Oh, by the way, this is the Prince from Sands of Time." And that's all we're really focused on right now.

What platforms is the new game being developed on?

We're on PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Wii, PSP, and DS.

Will each version generally be the same game? Will there be differences?

There will be differences. Each console has its own strengths and weaknesses, so they'll all have their own game ... Well, not each have their own game, but there will be differences.

Will the Dagger of Time -- the time-reversal mechanic -- return in The Forgotten Sands?

I'm not gonna go all into any "Dagger of Time" talk, but this is not The Sands of Time story. This is a story that's set between Sand of Time and The Warrior Within.

How exactly, then, will The Forgotten Sands connect with next year's film, if at all?

Basically, the film is telling the story of The Sands of Time trilogy, which Ubisoft made, and this game is a story that happens on the side of that. So, it's the same character.

Will Jake Gyllenhaal voice the Prince in the game?

No.

Warrior Within, the second Sands of Time game, was commonly criticized for its tone, which was a lot darker than the first game's, and the Prince, who had become inexplicably angrier and less likeable. In terms of the tone of The Forgotten Sands, is it more like the first or second game?

All that I'll say is that, obviously, there's a difference between the Prince from The Sands of Time and Warrior Within, and there was like seven years that past between those stories where he became that new guy. So, obviously, some bad things happened to him in that amount of time, and this is that time frame -- where The Forgotten Sands' story is taking place. That's all I'll say.

After three games in The Sands of Time series, how is Ubisoft looking to introduce new elements to keep the franchise fresh?

Basically, I think the one major way that we're looking to make it fresh is that this isn't the Sand of Time trilogy. So, it's not entirely focused on time powers. We do have the rewind still, but we also have powers that are more focused on nature -- controlling elements of nature.

One of the things that people loved about the most recent Prince of Persia (2008) was the somewhat cooperative mechanic between the Prince and Elika. Will that kind of gameplay return in any shape or form in The Forgotten Sands?

Since there's various different platforms doing their various different things, that's a bit of a "yes" and "no." It'll depend on the version of the game.

Do you know what the status of the alternate Prince of Persia (2008) universe is? Will it continue?

I don't know ... I don't know.

Which of the two Prince characters do you have a personal affinity for?

I like them both. The Sands of Time was one of the reasons that I came to work at Ubisoft, so I certainly have a soft for it. But I liked that the Prince in the other game made me laugh. He was fun to watch.

Bumpage:

Games out Friday, anyone getting it 360/PS3 wise here.

To be fair, so is the film.

I think I'll be buying it, but when its like £15 either that or see if my housemates boyfriend gets it, we tend to swap games a lot now.

It's just the same old PoP with a gimmicky element system. The first 3 main games were good, but nothing that special. Now Ubisoft are just milking it because of the film, and the series will continue to go downhill.

Get a new franchise or actually change the game.

I'm still a little upset that they changed it from the last one. It had a decent enough story and was a good introduction to a new franchise and then they just scrapped it.

Where are the reviews considering it's so close to release?

I find it amusing, I think this is like the first game that has ever been based off a movie thats based off a game.