NEurope
Dante

Batman: Arkham City

I just got this yesterday, played a little of it, my only gripe is I seem to be thrown into the deep end, It doesn't tell you how to access any of the items on the d pad for start.

I did get a extra cat woman code, looks like others did as well?

I don't like that Oracle isn't in it. Is this because of DCNu? They should have got Tim Drake to do it.

I don't like that Oracle isn't in it. Is this because of DCNu? They should have got Tim Drake to do it.

The bit I am up too she has just got on the radio to Batman as the Oracle.

I was getting worried for a while there with the identity thief side mission, it had been ages since I last found a body to carry on with it but thankfully I just finished it. Just got the AR Training, Stolen Freeze Tech, Random Acts of Violence and all the Riddler stuff left to do now. I may start New Game+ before then though and just go back to my side missions when I want a distraction.

Well if that is the case would be awesome if batgirl appeared although not like batman and robin movie!

Progressing nicely along with this.

Ran into Joker, who infected me with his blood. Did the next Catwoman bit, where i also ran into Ivy. Currently as Batman heading towards Freeze's place. Have done 2 side-quests, and am on a 3rd featuring Bane. Loving the tag Riddler trophies feature, will save a lot of hunting later i guess.

Ok so I take back what I say to some extent. The museum (won't say anymore for fear of spoilers) certainly had that sense of atmosphere that was such a huge part of what made Asylum. So yeah after a rough start getting into this game.

Just realised I've got £20 vouchers for HMV. HMV online is £37 so i'd be paying an affordable £17 (damn you £26 PC game!)... teeeemptiiing.

Can I ask, though, what's the gamelength like? Not just for story but for collecting/completing achievements?

Just realised I've got £20 vouchers for HMV. HMV online is £37 so i'd be paying an affordable £17 (damn you £26 PC game!)... teeeemptiiing.

Can I ask, though, what's the gamelength like? Not just for story but for collecting/completing achievements?

440 assorted riddles/trophies. 20 odd side quests. Crap load of combat challenges. The city is huuuuge! I reckon if you took your time you could get a good 25-35 hours.

Well I completed the main story on this relatively quickly.

2 long stints and I was done.

going through the side quests now, and enjoying these too. So many bad guys, I've kinda tried blanking any info on this game before release to get a surprise on who I'd be up against.

perhaps over-done with the number of bad guys in side quests, but cool nonetheless.

If you do what I'm doing, which is play on hard straight away, it is going to take a good amount of time to finish. The first few fights are pretty hard before you have any upgrades, enough to make you consider changing the difficulty down to normal - but the difficulty coupled with the way the game encourages you to splinter on sidequests makes it fairly lengthy. It's no Fallout, but there's a lot to it. It's £30 at Tesco if you spend £40 on shopping.

Yes but the whole point in having this DLC (which shouldnt really be DLC, more of an online pass) is to try and snuff out the second hand gaming industry. Allowing Gamestop to pay what people have assumed is just a lump sum to be able to put the code back into second hand games is a step backwards in what the publishers themselves did this for in the first place.

I thought the idea was to make money from the used game industry, rather than kill it? They'll still be making money from it, but that money will be coming from Gamestop rather than Gamestop's customers.

If that was the case though they'd have all the stores doing the same thing. This is just something that GameStop have done and from what I've heard theyve done similar stuff with online passes before (although I can't remember the specifics). It's pretty well know that most publishers hate the second hand market.

If you want to get every Achievement you're easily looking at 40+ hours, as you'd need to finish the game twice, ace every challenge arena and complete all of Riddler's challenges. This game has an obscene amount of optional content.

If that was the case though they'd have all the stores doing the same thing. This is just something that GameStop have done and from what I've heard theyve done similar stuff with online passes before (although I can't remember the specifics). It's pretty well know that most publishers hate the second hand market.

GameStop will be buying the DLC codes from Warner. At a reduced rate to what a customer would pay over Live or PSN, sure, but as far as the publisher's concerned it's money in the bank: a percentage of people buying the game second hand would have bought a code on their own, but this way Warner gets a cut of every preowned copy the store sells, guaranteed.

I do think one thing Batman AA has certainly helped highlight is that this whole online pass shit is a mess....

In other news I am definitely 100% into this following my early game jitters. I now love it 100%.

What overall percentage is everyone on? (The one that shows on the menu screen before you choose to continue) Currently ive got 61% done.

]Got the Robin DLC earlier' date='[/b'] swapped my spare "Iceberg Challenge Map" and an old control pad with my mate. Who in turn, bought me a pint and gave his spare DLC code over as well. Turns out it wasn't just the Collectors Editions with double codes.

What's it like then? Wait... you traded a code and a controller for a code and a pint?! wtf is this Multi-Coloured Swap Shop?!

What overall percentage is everyone on? (The one that shows on the menu screen before you choose to continue) Currently ive got 61% done.

16% is my number thus far.

The Robin DLC is only the character for the challenge maps but I like it. He does feel different to playing as Batman so it does make it interesting.

If you want to get every Achievement you're easily looking at 40+ hours, as you'd need to finish the game twice, ace every challenge arena and complete all of Riddler's challenges. This game has an obscene amount of optional content.
Why would you need to complete it twice, is there an extra-hard difficulty? :woops:

Why would you need to complete it twice, is there an extra-hard difficulty? :woops:

I think on giant bomb as well they were saying you couldnt get all if catwomans and batmans upgrades in one go. Also there is a new game plus mode!

Thats all side quests done apart from the Riddler stuff. Just over a 100 trophies to get.

I don't see how you could not get all the upgrades in one go, you can just run around finding fights, you can get 500-1000XP from a single street battle. I only need about 6 more upgrades altogether and I haven't entered the last mission yet.

Anyone else notice this with the phone mission:

Zsasz says he had 4 of a kind, 6s. He says penguin beat him with a 3-4-5-6-7 straight. I think you would stand up at that point and call foul :heh:

I don't know if this was an intentional thing to show he cheated, but it's a pretty stupid way to cheat.

Edit: Unless it was Texas Hold-em... now I can't remember if there was a mention of community cards... right, nevermind then :p

Edited by Shorty

Don't you need to finish New Game+? Presumably that constitutes finishing all the core missions again.

As an aside I thought the credits song for this game was one of the best in recent memory.

What's it like then? Wait... you traded a code and a controller for a code and a pint?! wtf is this Multi-Coloured Swap Shop?

He broke his controller and was too cheap to buy a new one, i had 2 lying around and only ever use one of them when needed. I had a spare code for a map, he had a spare code for Robin. That was the initial swap. The controller was for the pint, 2 separate swaps.

To sum up Robin, he is different to Batman in the combat and predator maps. Plays a little better i think. I like his side-scrolling combat map though.

I dont like the combat challenge riddle trophies, they're pretty much all I need and I cant get some of them to work properly.