NEurope
tapedeck

What's the best thing about Christmas?

Back at the office this question went around today...(Read thread title if you suffer from short term memory loss...).

I was personally around 80% honest and stated that spending time with family was the best thing about Christmas. My favourite memories all include family time spent together - minor arguments and all. The 20% was clearly giving/getting presents.

However there were a few that put giving, getting presents as well as those who put religion and time for reflection. Someone also stated that the "atmosphere" was what they liked.

So what do you think is the best thing about Christmas? Any special Christmassy memories to back it up would be a cracking read on these cold, blustery nights too!

I actually quite enjoy the whole family gatherings. I used to hate them and want to play with my toys at home. These days apparently we don't get presents from the family anymore :( Gutted.

I might order a n64 and conkers bad fur day for myself off ebay as a speshul xmas treat soon.

The atmosphere around the city/in life. I like the build-up, and the lights in the dark, and the fact it's cold, if only because cold and christmas go hand in hand (unless you're filthy and live on the other side of the world).

I like it cause it's something everyone (effectively) celebrates.

I freakin loved Christmas back in the day when i believed in Santa Claus. Whoever at your work said atmosphere, yeah, that was a big part of it too.

Nowadays its only excites me for a few days off work and a little boost in my 401k. I actually prefer giving gifts to getting them now. The family getogethers are always nice but Christmas always seems particularly forced.

It's the little things. Like, spending time curled up on the sofa indoors whilst it's freezing outside, and turning over the channel to find some lovely Christmas movie on television. I mean, when Home Alone or Love Actually are on you know damn well it's Christmas. I'm oddly craving going to some Christmas Choir thing at a big cathedral or something. My total fetish for all things shiny helps too.

Naww. I want to be at home now, damn it.

Also, its not Christmas until ive seen the Grinch (the original, not the shitty live action movie)

I love me and my family having a massive Christmas dinner and we'd all have a laugh. Christmas telly last year was terrible, just hope this year won't be the same. Doctor Who, Corpse Bride...looks great atm.

But presents play a very minor part in it for me but I love giving presents because I guess it makes me feel good about myself.

As cheeky as it sounds, it isn't much about the gifts for me anymore. It was, but nowadays I mostly just buy what I want when I want it (provided I have money ...). Still, it's of course a part of the whole Christmas feel, which is what I love most. That's why I practically celebrate Christmas through all of December (and almost half of November as well), since that is when the Christmas spirit is present.

Christmas is awesome because I can't help but forget about all of my worries. Christmas is odd because it is effectively exactly the same every year.

(but not this year. This year I dine alone!)

It's a combination of family, traditions, atmosphere- definitely some weird vibe about the build up to Christmas, and presents.

Though over the last few years I've been more excited about giving presents, especially now they've come from my own hard graft.

That girl prancing around in her underwear.

Hahaa! Brilliant. Its true though, she's majorly boner inducing.

I don't really get in the Christmas spirit much beforehand, but I do love when we celebrate Christmas at home. We all come together on Christmas Eve (so me, my parents, sisters and maybe the sister's boyfriend) and have a huuuuge meal (small starters, soup, main course, dessert). And after every course we normally give out one present while making sure everyone gets one.

It's fun, and we're usually sitting at the table until midnight enjoying our meal and giving out presents. I love the big meal we do and just being together and giving presents. It's nice and cosy. =)

Oh, I also love setting up the Christmas tree. It's usually something I do a week or two before Christmas, with some help from dad. I love making it look pretty, though I do seem to have a preference for the white/silver decorations haha. =P

^ yeah. Christmas day is inevitably lacking in the feeling/juh nay se qua all the days running up to it possess.

Christmas day for us is about sleeping late and eating leftovers for dinner. So yeah not as great. =P

Also, we don't have "Christmas" meals with the rest of the family (so mom's side and dad's side) until somewhere in January. So by then the Christmas spirit has kind of disappeared.

Its always nice to hear how people spend their christmases its always so varied and lovely.

I always enjoy christmas dinner, always, my dad makes it and god forbid if he ever stopped, its the one thing I've always wanted all year round. Plus it means I get to eat gorgeous food and see my whole family (the four of us) together.

Last year was awful, my sister wasn't there and dad wasn't in the mood for decorations. My dad told me this weekend he's going to put everything up like we used to, it makes me happee.

I always love giving presents too, I always spend too much on people, I can't help it, spent over £200 on four people this year alone, muchos love for my family and my friends. Recieving presents IS nice, but by god its fun shopping for others knowing they'll love what you've got them! :)

It's the little things.My total fetish for all things shiny helps too.

I'm glad you enjoy my penis at Christmas :)

I agree with others. Christmas Eve tends to be the best because im spending it with people I actually like (although this Christmas the numbers are down, although I think I'll see my sibling for the first time in 2 years which could be awkward) but this year I'm in the middle of nowhere with no friends nearby. And I get paid which should mean yay celebrations but...not so much.

Christmas Eve.
^ yeah. Christmas day is inevitably lacking in the feeling/juh nay se qua all the days running up to it possess.

You know, in Denmark, Christmas Eve is the climax of Christmas. We have an amazing dinner, dance around the tree while singing Christmas songs, and open our presents. Christmas Day is just some sort of recovery day after the festivities, much like New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

You know, in Denmark, Christmas Eve is the climax of Christmas. We have an amazing dinner, dance around the tree while singing Christmas songs, and open our presents. Christmas Day is just some sort of recovery day after the festivities, much like New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

That always puzzled - my ex and her family would do the same thing - what the hell do you guys even have Boxing day for if you're gonna do all the Christmas stuff before it's actually Christmas!

I love walking around the town/city when all the lights are up, it always looks pretty. Christmas shopping with people can be so fun. I've got an amazing memory of buying the Wii at Gamestation during its midnight launch, then walking back through the Brighton Lanes with all the lights up. So pretty and beautiful. :)

Another thing is when you're sitting down at night, all comfy and warm with a good film on, and roast chicken sandwiches. Haha.

Last Christmas with Ine was great, even though technically it took place after Christmas. Having a lovely meal, then opening up our presents with candles all around the room. :) I'm a big fan of darkness with little candles or lights around the room or place.