NEurope
tapedeck

Is 2010 the last year for Wii?

OK it's thread time again!

December 8th 2006 seems so long ago yet the feeling of motion control still emotionally entrances my mind. And when Wii just didn't stop selling I clearly wasn't alone.

Three years later we are all aware of the little machine that encapsulated an entire generation going on to enrapture jaded gamers and capture those who hadn't gamed since Pong and Tetris back in the 70's and 80's. The little machine that defined an age will be remembered for generations to come and will be held in the same revolutionary light as the NES and the Gameboy.

Afterall, codename Revolution was always what Wii was truly about.

The rest is history. Sure the Wii has struggled to find an identity amongst certain sects of gamers and arguably the console has survived turbulence through the added stability the balance board created for the casual market and Motion Plus which stabilised the 'hardcore' market, promising new depth to motion control.

In 2010 Wii will come full circle and it will be on two very ironic fronts. Ubisoft will finally give Wii owners a mature follow up to their marmite launch title: Red Steel, and Nintendo will probably reveal a new Zelda outing. Both will flaunt advanced motion control and graphics that truly embrace the Wii's strengths.

The irony cuts deep.

It has been a conflicting 3 years and Nintendo have once again shown that if you get involved with them it's never plain sailing. The abusive partner but one which you will keep coming back to. Nintendo sell Kiddie cocaine and the colourful, joyous journeys they take you on still makes everything else seem like a soulless imitation. And even with technology tied behind their back, Nintendo again prove that when it comes to re imagining a company and mastering two markets, they have it down to a fine art. Software is king but the conflict comes when you realise that Wii software has been whored, abandoned, sublime and dire all in equal parts.

But is 2010 the last year for Wii?

Will we see one last hurrah from Nintendo around Christmas 2010? Will Link finally deliver on true motion controlled sword fighting in 2010 or will 2011 be the last year for the console?

Maybe you think that the term 'Wii' go on in a similar vein to the DS?

Thoughts as ever. They matter. : peace:

I hope not and really i think not i feel that the wii has still more to offer and more revelotionary things to come like the wii vitality sensor mentioned at E3 that monitors your heartbeat during games and will affect how the plays such as how many enimeis will be unleashed and when plus new games like Zelda are i think going to up sales as the franchises have such big fan bases.

I find it strange to think that we've had the Wii for so long already. It seems like its still getting going... and for some reason I think its best years (yes, plural!) are still ahead of it.

Maybe if the Wii had been delivering top quality "hardcore" games from the get go then I'd feel differently, but developers STILL seem to be getting to grips with getting the best out of the machine.

I hope it isn't so, but I seriously can see no other alternative. The wii, the amazing and unique console it is, is being left behind by the graphical powerhorses of the 360 and the PS3. This means that third party titles are primarily going to those consoles. However, it is not just the power of the other consoles, it is also the predictability of the audience that is attractive.

Why would a third party company pump money into a game for the wii when there is an audience who seems content with ignoring top quality games?

I'd like to see the Wii last for as long as possible, because i'm having plenty of fun with the games i own and there is an ever-increasing list of games i wish to get.

I've added this line having finished my post. It's just to serve as a warning that below are just some random thoughts that may appear dis-jointed :grin:

Question:

If the next Nintendo console makes the jump to HD and the other consoles inevitably copy Nintendo's motion control route, what will actually be the difference between the three consoles that defines them?

Are we heading towards three pretty much identical machines?

If so I reckon Nintendo have played a blinder, because they've got the motion controls established and possibly (i'll wait to see more use of the Motion+) even polished, [something Sony and Microsoft will have to catch up with and establish a userbase for] leaving Nintendo just to catch up with the graphical side of things. i.e. increase the tech (the numbers inside the box).

I think this will stand them in good stead for getting third party developers onside when Wii HD arrives.

I'm also wondering whether we'll see a hardware company drop out of the market soon..? Is there a need for 3 identical consoles

Finally, I'd suggest that Nintendo are already working on their next big leap (their next motion control), the technology that will define their Wii HD sucessor. I don't really expect to see this tech for some years to come.

Theres just some thoughts to see what peoples opinions are..?

No. Nintendo's next console will not come out until 2012 or 2013 at the earliest.

Why?

1) The Wii's still selling despite it not selling as well, its still selling better than the gamecube was at this point last generation.

2) Next year, Nintendo are releasing a Mario game, a Metroid game, and a Zelda game. All in one year. If they were going to release a new console next year, we would already know about it, and if they were going to release one in 2011, they would hold back some of these titles for the new platform, since they're not going to be able to develop all new AAA titles for it in the space of a year.

I dont think 2010 will be its last year but I would like it to be. While I like the Wii occassionally it just hasnt grown on me like other consoles. Id like to see a new Nintendo console finally sorting out the online side, add a hard drive and sort out the graphical power a bit more. Also tighten up the controls, maybe Nintendo could also let developers know that not every game has to over use "waggle controls".

I dont think so because 2011 will have Zelda Wii, Dragon Quest X, Masahiro Sakurai's Project Sora.

I think we now are half-way in Wii's lifetime. A new console will be released 3 years from now.

How I see the future Euro schedule:

March 2010: Sin & Punishment 2

August 2010: Metroid: Other M

November 2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2

March 2011: Pikmin 3

November 2011: Zelda Wii

I think Nintendo will revive at least one more classic franchise, probably Starfox and/or Pilotwings. The last AAA Wii title will probably be released in early 2012.

Comparison of Nintendo published retail games:

First 3 years on Gamecube PAL

-------------------------------

# Luigi's Mansion

# Pikmin

# Super Smash Bros. Melee

# Wave Race: Blue Storm

# Animal Crossing

# Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse

# Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

# Mario Party 4

# Metroid Prime

# NBA Courtside 2002

# Star Fox Adventures

# Super Mario Sunshine

# Doshin the Giant

# 1080° Avalanche

# F-Zero GX

# Kirby Air Ride

# The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

# Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

# Mario Kart: Double Dash‼

# Mario Party 5

# Pokémon Channel

# Wario World

# Donkey Konga

# The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

# Mario Party 6

# Mario Power Tennis

# Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

# Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

# Pikmin 2

# Pokémon Colosseum

# WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$

# Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

# Star Fox: Assault

First 3 years on Wii PAL

-------------------------

* Wii Sports

* Excite Truck

* The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

* WarioWare: Smooth Moves

* Wii Play

* Kororinpa

* Super Paper Mario

* Mario Party 8

* Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

* Pokémon Battle Revolution

* Mario Strikers Charged

* Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

* Donkey Kong Barrel Blast

* Battalion Wars 2

* Super Swing Golf

* Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

* Super Mario Galaxy

* Link's Crossbow Training

* Trauma Center: New Blood

# Wii Chess

# Endless Ocean

# Super Smash Bros. Brawl

# Mario Kart Wii

# Wii Fit

# Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

# Wii Music

# Disaster: Day of Crisis

# Animal Crossing: City Folk

# Punch-Out!!

# Wii Sports Resort

# Wii Fit Plus

# New Super Mario Bros. Wii

# Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories

(remakes and WiiWare not included)

1) The Wii's still selling despite it not selling as well, its still selling better than the gamecube was at this point last generation.

2) Next year, Nintendo are releasing a Mario game, a Metroid game, and a Zelda game. All in one year. If they were going to release a new console next year, we would already know about it, and if they were going to release one in 2011, they would hold back some of these titles for the new platform, since they're not going to be able to develop all new AAA titles for it in the space of a year.

Quoted for Truth. I think we'll see one final big Nintendo franchise appear just before the end of the console's life time. Something similar to Twilight Princess for the cube.

If the next Nintendo console makes the jump to HD and the other consoles inevitably copy Nintendo's motion control route, what will actually be the difference between the three consoles that defines them?

Nintendo aren't dumb. They can see this happening and they know it's a great possibility. I think it's interesting to assume that the next Ninty console will just have HD added to it and nothing else. In reality, I suspect Nintendo are working on the next big thing. One thing I'm entirely certain on is that they're well into development on their next console. The Wii's development began in 2001, so there's no doubt they're working on it now. Whether it's cooking and ready to go, however, is another question.

Iwata actually officially stated that the next console was in development (actually, not that long after the Wii came out). They've probably gotten it to the point where they can release it with 6 months to a year's notice. With something as potentially disastrous as the Wii (I'm not saying the Wii was a disaster, I'm saying it could have been), they would want to have a backup, not ready but to be released soon after. Part of me is wondering if they never actually scraped the console that was supposedly going to have a PPC G5 processor, and are just slowly upgrading it to todays standards. Just a theory though.

I'm honestly thinking that about 2012 the gen will be heading to an end. Microsoft and Sony both want long lifespan of the consoles, their motion additions support the theory of then gen lasting longer than 5 years. When Natal and Sony's thing hit, I'm expecting crap software similar to some of what the Wii was getting before developers made an effort and evening come from the Wii, Natal (and the other thing) will have a learning curve that devs will need time to work out suggesting a long console life. I just don't think Nintendo would want to do a new release so far ahead of them. I think it would put them at a disadvantage, and that the console would be a very hard sell for most of their current market especially after the price drop. I think they'll keep the Wii as is until it is no longer competitive against the PS360, with a focus on sales and price points.

Of course, if they did release something next year it could easily stomp the PS360 graphically...Just like the Dreamcast.

Maybe they could do what Sony has done with PS2/PS3 and have two consoles in market at the same time for some years. Wii for casual gaming at $99 and a new core console with backwards compatibility, high-end graphics, hard drive etc for $299/$399.

I mean, Wii doesn't necessarily have to die the day Wii 2 or whatever its called comes out...

leetpants makes a good point. Like he said, there will almost certainly be a fair amount of shovelware coming out, but will the additional shovelware be enough to entice people into purchasing a new console? Or maybe not even that, lets assume Nintendo brings out a console shortly after Natal and the Playstation Motion Controller gets released, it could be a nice way of Nintendo say "Don't want Natal? Here, look what we're now offering."

Well, when I mentioned the Shovelware it was pertaining to Natal and the Playstation Motion Controller(that's way to long. I dub thee PMC) rather than the Wiis successor.

I'm not too sure about either Natal or the PMC (;)). How well did these ideas go down..?

From what i can remember, i think the PMC looked like it could see mainstream use, but Natal just looked too over the top (in a way that would seem obtrusive to the gamer).

You have to remember that the whole world is pushed for extra cash at the moment and won't want to be spending a few hundred pounds on a whole new console when they haven't had the Wii for all that long yet. All 3 manufacturers know this (this is pretty much the reason why Windows 7 is always on offer so its so much cheaper than other Windows operating systems) and won't be releasing a new console any time soon.

I personally think that 2010 will be the last year of the Wii, And I think we will see a next gen version of the Wii in the end of 2010 or early 2011.

Sony and Microsoft are both going the direction of motion controls that could be harmful to the Wii and Nintendo. If Sony or Microsoft are packing in there motion controllers and at around the same price as the Wii. The Wii in my eyes is doomed.

Allot of people nowadays have HDTV's and want the best possible resolution for there televisions. If the Wii is still 199,- and the 360 is 250,- than most people will get a 360. Who wouldn’t want to pay 50 Euros extra to get HD and better graphics.

The Wii is a great console and I personally really don’t care about graphics. But from the eyes of the consumer the Wii is doomed, and we could foresee allot of Wii ports to the next gen (look at no more heroes 1).

And lets be honest the hardcore gamer has abandon the Wii because of the lack of good graphics and core games.

4 years of the Wii is very good if you count in that its basically a rereleased GameCube, 4 goods years for Nintendo to cash in.

And I really wouldn’t be surprised to see a dual console release of the next Zelda game (like the gc / Wii versions).

I personally believe 2010 may well be the last year for this current Wii...but Nintendo would be daft to change it's brand for 2011..Wii 2 will probably be a console with better graphics, online capabilites and anything else the Wii is missing..Can't see a dramatic change for Nintendo's next console as like i've said they've established a brand now...so yeah..2010 may well be the last year for the Wii's we have now...but i'll be very surprised if Nintendo's next console is something ENTIRELY different.

I can't see 2010 being the end. The console is still selling very well, and until sales just stop, they really don't have a huge reason to bring out another console.

I want a proper Donkey Kong game! a true sequel to DK64, is it so hard for Nintendo to do it themselves without Rare? Yeah, we had Jungle Beat but I didn't like the fact it didn't have all the classic characters. We haven't got a Starfox game yet either! Why are Nintendo forgetting such key series? I want these before I shell out for another console :P

And it really doesn't feel like 3 years, the Wii still seems so young and fresh to me. Maybe it's just the amount of fresh and exciting games that are still coming out, I remember the huge drought that the Gamecube had near the end and the Wii is completely opposite.

I see the DS model being used, but maybe a little more severely. I think they'll release a Wii HD in 2010 (Spring '11) for us. Which will be just a Wii but in HD, wiimotes with morionplus built in etc. Wii games will still be released as normal so everyone can play them, maybe designed to be upscaled on the Wii HD; and also some software for Wii HD ONLY!! And the hardware will run side by side. I can really see this happening; I hope this happens, and think it will prove to be an exceptionally wise move. Even better if they get Bluray support!

I also think over the next 12-18 months Nintendo will sort out their online component too. Bye bye codes for every game, hello demos, hello strong Wii community applications. Also think Wii HD will allow for simultaneous multi functioning (made the name up) - so for example we can chat on Wii Speak Channel while playing another game etc etc.

I think Nintendo are smart, realise now they need to get some gamer games out (which they are doing and have said they will do), they will sort out their online, provide HD and integrate tall the developments (WM+, their new blood pressure sensor etc).

Wouldn't surprise me if they released Zelda with it too!! (but which can be played on either machine)

Hmm, I do get the feeling that we are approaching the "Majora's Mask"/"Banjo Tooie" type era for the Wii. There is an awful lot of buzz from analysts and games journalists about the "Wii HD in 2010", developers seem to be switching purely to "HD" machines and even Nintendo are talking an unusual amount about the next machine. My guess is that Zelda Wii will be short, simple and experimental, and thus might actually be ready for December 2010.

However, until Galaxy 2 and Zelda are released, that's two very big development teams who won't be able to prepare games for the Wii 2. My guess is that Wii 2 will be announced at E3 2011 and arrive December 2011, with the Wii having a few modest games in the meantime.

Am i the only one that doesnt want a slightly upgraded Wii HD? I want an overhaul dammit and most importantly i want software that does it justice at launch. I can wait. Im guessing late 2011 at the earliest

Interesting ideas. I would prefer Nintendo to follow the DS model and release a Wii that can upscale current titles to HD. 720p would be nice enough with new releases being in HD and taking advantage of improved graphics. We've already seen existing wii games upscaled via emulation and they look great.

I actually feel that the HDD issue is fine with SD support - specifically as the size limitations placed on Wiiware hasn't really hindered developers so much. Wii isn't meant to be a multimedia powerhouse so a huge HDD perhaps isn't needed at any time.

Improve the online friend code structure and I would be much happier.

Also, will Nintendo's next console keep the Wii controller?Many are predicting enhanced motion as standard. Should the speaker be more advanced? Should the nunchuck still exist and the form factor remain? I believe it should. But business means we will probably see a change of sorts.