NEurope
tapedeck

Is 2010 the last year for Wii?

That would've been really fucking cool and you know it.

It really would :yay: ..especially if it lit up when you played in the dark :bouncy:

As for the Wii, I find that there is so much more content on the Wii than the XBOX 360 or PS3 that I would want to play.. hence why I haven't invested in either of those systems (and currently see it as unlikely that I ever will :eek:) I certainly don't feel that I will need another console in the near future as the Wii and DS have had so much play in the last couple of months and I'm loving every second :hehe:

The great games are there, you just have to open your eyes and your hearts to them : peace:

Edited by nekunando

Wii wont have a HD version because the Vitality Sensor will be shown in detail at E3 2010 and the game series that has it own holiday in Japan ie Dragon Quest X will be released.

Why do you tantalise me with DQ X?

Get out there and find release info for DQ 6 and 9, stat!

It really would :yay: ..especially if it lit up when you played in the dark :bouncy:

As for the Wii, I find that there is so much more content on the Wii than the XBOX 360 or PS3 that I would want to play.. hence why I haven't invested in either of those systems (and currently see it as unlikely that I ever will :eek:) I certainly don't feel that I will need another console in the near future as the Wii and DS have had so much play in the last couple of months and I'm loving every second :hehe:

The great games are there, you just have to open your eyes and your hearts to them : peace:

I agree with this, dude. I agree with this dude!

If I had a Wii and the only thing I wanted to play on it was Wii Sports, I would be a bit gutted. But, there is so much, much more on the system than Wii Sports. The gems are truely hidden, but they are there.

Releasing a new model that can simply just upscale the resolution to 720p would be pointless (especially seeing as most TVs have built in upscalers anyway), even if it could actually render the games at 720p, its still probably not going to happen. The current Wii is still selling, regardless of the fact that its not selling as well as it was this time a year ago. I can't see them making such a small change in the hardware, when they're obviously going to be releasing an all new console within a few years, it would be like the gameboy micro.

What I'd like to see on the next console (and I think could easily be possible):

Software:

Proper Media Functionality - Just the basics really, common format playback, DVD playback, ect.

Proper online play - No more friend codes

Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, and maybe even Wii games on the Virtual console

All old VC and Wii Ware games transferable

Size Limit Increase for Wii Ware games

Support for up to at least 5.1 audio

1080p for the menus and 2D games, and 720p for 3D games (Basically like the PS3).

A proper use for the Home menu

Hardware:

~ as powerful as the 360, maybe a bit more.

HDMI and Optical ports

An HDD, preferably 256GB or larger (I don't however expect it will be user replaceable)

Maybe an ethernet port, and by then Wireless N

Controller:

Basically the Same as the current one

Gyro-sensor built into both the remote and the nun-chuck

Clickable analog sticks.

USB charger

Slightly better quality speaker, and one in the nun-chuck as well possibly.

A new version of the classic controller pro, also with clickable analog sticks, that can connect directly to the console, and is included in the box.

Releasing a new model that can simply just upscale the resolution to 720p would be pointless (especially seeing as most TVs have built in upscalers anyway)

What I'd like to see on the next console (and I think could easily be possible):

Software:

~ as powerful as the 360, maybe a bit more.

Most TVs scaling capabilities are utter shit compared to a dedicated upscaler or just the console itself (360/PS3).

Powerful as 360 will be underpowered in the next gen. I'm not sure they want to do that again.

True, but I wouldn't expect Nintendo to use a very high quality upscaler either. Not to mention even a good upscaler isn't going to make enough of a difference to warrant the purchase of a new console for most.

I'm not so sure it will be that much underpowered. I don't expect a huge leap in terms of hardware capabilities for the next generation. At the most, I expect all AAA games will look somewhat like crisis, but there's a good chance Sony and MS will be concentrating on their motion controllers this time around.

Sorry but what on earth makes you think that? They wouldn't moan they would use the power. The wii has virtually no power next to the other consoles.

like they have used the wii's power?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure there has a been a game that's better looking than resident evil 4 and that was a gamecube game. Not to criticise wii games here because resident evil 4 is a fantastic looking game even today, but I believe the wii has a significant power advantage over the gamecube and it's not been used.

The current Wii is still selling, regardless of the fact that its not selling as well as it was this time a year ago. I can't see them making such a small change in the hardware, when they're obviously going to be releasing an all new console within a few years, it would be like the gameboy micro.

x.

small changes to hardware happen all the time, Whether it's colour change or simply taking small unnoticeable things out.

the gameboy micro was a bit of a failure yes but let's not forget we are now on our 4th ds model annoucement and let's face it even with the dsi nothing much has changed....the ds is 5 years ago. That's 4 models in 5 years, with no sign of announcing a new portable..

The wii would very easily follow the same path. this is nintendo don't be naive in thinking that just because they're releasing a new console in few years means nothing.

Do you not think this time next year would be a good time to release the wii equivilant to dsi?

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

Sorry but what on earth makes you think that? They wouldn't moan they would use the power. The wii has virtually no power next to the other consoles.

GameCube says Hi.

like they have used the wii's power?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure there has a been a game that's better looking than resident evil 4 and that was a gamecube game. Not to criticise wii games here because resident evil 4 is a fantastic looking game even today, but I believe the wii has a significant power advantage over the gamecube and it's not been used.

small changes to hardware happen all the time, Whether it's colour change or simply taking small unnoticeable things out.

the gameboy micro was a bit of a failure yes but let's not forget we are now on our 4th ds model annoucement and let's face it even with the dsi nothing much has changed....the ds is 5 years ago. That's 4 models in 5 years, with no sign of announcing a new portable..

The wii would very easily follow the same path. this is nintendo don't be naive in thinking that just because they're releasing a new console in few years means nothing.

Do you not think this time next year would be a good time to release the wii equivilant to dsi?

There have been games that took advantage of the Wii's hardware, they just didn't have the art to back it up.

The small changes in hardware you're talking about aren't to boost sales, they're to reduce costs.

Handhelds and consoles aren't the same. Such a minor change as an upscaler would do nothing to change their current position in the console market.

True, but I wouldn't expect Nintendo to use a very high quality upscaler either. Not to mention even a good upscaler isn't going to make enough of a difference to warrant the purchase of a new console for most.

I'm not so sure it will be that much underpowered. I don't expect a huge leap in terms of hardware capabilities for the next generation. At the most, I expect all AAA games will look somewhat like crisis, but there's a good chance Sony and MS will be concentrating on their motion controllers this time around.

Crysis level graphics is quite the jump though. In all truthfulness comparing most multiplat games on PC and consoles the console version are usually planted around Medium settings at 720p. My laptop can do that, and it's quite low-end graphically. My guess is the next consoles will have hardware very similar to whats on the PC market now. A console with a Core i5 and 4870 or 5870. That's an insane amount of power compared to the 360.

Besides, they're already focusing on their motion control schemes now, probably in tangent with their hardware plans.

Honestly speaking, I doubt we'll see the next round of consoles just adding ridiculous amounts of power. Granted, they'll get more powerful, but not like the level we've seen in this generation.

Gamer after my own heart :D

Most TVs scaling capabilities are utter shit compared to a dedicated upscaler or just the console itself (360/PS3).

Powerful as 360 will be underpowered in the next gen. I'm not sure they want to do that again.

First point is true

but I think they have proved that graphics don't mean shit to the mainstream audience by now. I think they will go down the same path again next gen.

There have been games that took advantage of the Wii's hardware, they just didn't have the art to back it up.

The small changes in hardware you're talking about aren't to boost sales, they're to reduce costs.

Handhelds and consoles aren't the same. Such a minor change as an upscaler would do nothing to change their current position in the console market.

1: things taken out of console are to reduce costs yes but colour changes are to increase sales.

2: There have been VERY few games that take advantage of wii's hardware. The controller will always get in the way of porting despite power and devs will ALWAYS complain about only first party games selling.

3: Minor changes do help if they are marketed properly. This is a new nintendo, they will milk the wii to bits. They can't really reduce the price much more and anyway they hate doing that.

it's only a guess but I believe because nintendo are showing constant interest in HD it's got to be the next logical step.

It wouln't solve any real problems with the wii but it sure sounds like a good selling point doesn't it. WII NOW with HD. I mean people have upgraded their sky boxes and shit so why not wii? maybe they also will come free with motion plus and wii sports resort. it would feel like almost a new console.

Let's look at the power of consoles the last few generations.

Wii < 360/PS3

PS2 < Cube < Xbox (ignoring DC here)

PS1 < Saturn < N64

DS < PSP

Now let's look at which sold the most.

Oh wait, it's all the LEAST powerful ones. Coincidentally, they're the ones with the cheapest dev cycles, meaning the lowest risks for small companies, meaning the biggest shelf space (albeit filled 80% with shovelware).

It's an odd coincidence but not much more than that. Most fanboys will die before admitting their chosen console wasn't the bestest evar at making uber graphics. It's also a skewed comparison in that the machines were fairly close to each other in terms of power, as oppose to the large gap between the Wii and 360/PS3 of his gen.

Let's look at the power of consoles the last few generations.

Wii < 360/PS3

PS2 < Cube < Xbox (ignoring DC here)

PS1 < Saturn < N64

DS < PSP

Now let's look at which sold the most.

Oh wait, it's all the LEAST powerful ones. Coincidentally, they're the ones with the cheapest dev cycles, meaning the lowest risks for small companies, meaning the biggest shelf space (albeit filled 80% with shovelware).

A lot of that has to do with the fact that most of the time the least powerfull ones costs the less. Only one the comparison doesn't work for is dreamcast is less powerful than ps2 and snes is more powerful than megadrive.

Other factors do come into play, I think it's more coincidence with the power.

It's an odd coincidence but not much more than that. Most fanboys will die before admitting their chosen console wasn't the bestest evar at making uber graphics. It's also a skewed comparison in that the machines were fairly close to each other in terms of power, as oppose to the large gap between the Wii and 360/PS3 of his gen.

Oh i used to get really annoyed during the ps2 time when fans claimed it was more powerful than the gamecube.