NEurope
tapedeck

Is 2010 the last year for Wii?

Am i the only one that doesnt want a slightly upgraded Wii HD? I want an overhaul dammit and most importantly i want software that does it justice at launch. I can wait. Im guessing late 2011 at the earliest

I'm entirely with you on this one. I don't want a small incremental update, I want the next Wii to be Nintendo's next console generation.

Should the nunchuck still exist and the form factor remain

I don't know about you guys, but I want a wireless nunchuck.

If Ninty did bring a new Wii out in 2010/11, it would only be a HD version of the console i personally believe. They could bring a more powerful Wii out, but what would be the point. Currently, the Wii is selling well (not as good as it has been in the past) mainly to families, pubs, clubs etc. Also to the avid Nintendo fan(s) like me and many members upon N:E and across the world.

Would these families be prepared to purchase a newer model of the Wii if Nintendo bought one out??. I personally think they wouldn't straight away.

I have a feeling that we'll see Wii HD launch this year - but not as most would expect. I almost expect to see a cheap but powerful off-board upscaler released as a stepping stone to a whole new machine in 2012/13.

Its daft enough for Nintendo, anyway.

I hope it isn't so, but I seriously can see no other alternative. The wii, the amazing and unique console it is, is being left behind by the graphical powerhorses of the 360 and the PS3. This means that third party titles are primarily going to those consoles. However, it is not just the power of the other consoles, it is also the predictability of the audience that is attractive.

Why would a third party company pump money into a game for the wii when there is an audience who seems content with ignoring top quality games?

The thing with the Wii is that it never was powerhouse to begin with.

And I absolutely don't think it's the Wii's last year. Before the Wii goes, there MUST be:

Starfox

F-Zero

A TRUE Wii Zelda

If ANY of these titles aren't released for the format, it can officially be confirmed as a failure. Also, we're yet to see:

Waverace

Excitebike

Pilotwings

PERHAPS there'll be a new console to be announced in 2010 and released a year later, but I believe that the Wii is going to be a new NES, with a lifespan of ca 10 years.

If ANY of these titles aren't released for the format, it can officially be confirmed as a failure.

Isn't that a bit extreme...?

2010 the last year for Wii? I lol'd...

Isn't that a bit extreme...?

Of course not! Because the success of a console lies solely on one Starfox title developed by Namco being released!

They will all come out together like they have done since I can remember, so xmas 2012 I'm thinking.

Of course not! Because the success of a console lies solely on one Starfox title developed by Namco being released!

Nope.

Success isn't solely connected to finance.

From a gamer's perspecitive it's solely to do with the quantity of killer apps. If not even the first party is sufficiently commited to the format, then it's truly flawed.

I consider the Dreamcast a great format, while I think that the PS1 is a piece of c**p.

Nope.

From a gamer's perspecitive it's solely to do with the quantity of killer apps. If not even the first party is sufficiently commited to the format, then it's truly flawed.

I consider the Dreamcast a great format, while I think that the PS1 is a piece of c**p.

So YOU think it will be a failure then.

It won't indeed OFFICIALLY be a failure, even though you're implying you speak for the whole gaming comminity.

You're sounding like Sol.

Nope.

I think you're flawed.

The quantity of Killer Apps is indeed important, but there are by far more good games than there are killer apps. A killer app is a system seller, they vary from person, but they don't determine success or failure by their quantity. There are plenty of games I own that aren't "Killer Apps" but they're still good, even great games. They determine success.

Ignoring the semantics of Killer Apps, a consoles success is not entirely dependent upon 1st party titles. Most games I own across the Wii and 360 are not 1st party games, and that doesn't mean the consoles are failures, it just means that the 3rd parties are doing good.

The PS1 and PS2 are pieces of crap(system wise) but they undeniably have tons of great software regardless of Sony's involvement.

Interesting thoughts in regards to killer apps:

if a console continues to get killer apps does that mean it can continue to exist with healthy sales? What does killer app mean to you? To me it must have unique or established mechanics with production values that are of some merit.

if a console continues to get killer apps does that mean it can continue to exist with healthy sales?

God of War 2 on the PS2 says hi.

I know that was a couple years ago, but it was after the this gen started and the game sold phenomenally well, and I think it was when the PS2 was still selling pretty good. I'm not sure how it's selling now though, but another great PS2 title in a similar vein may move systems, especially with so few PS3's with backwards compatibility. It's hard to say really.

I mean for me, I'd say GeoW was the 360's Killer App, back in 2006, but I didn't buy my 360 until just last august this year. Gears was a game to make me want the system, I took a while to actually get it (buddies have it so I've played theirs).

I think a Wii:HD (Wii+ ?) is definitely needed soon. I've not been excited by much on the Wii for a VERY long time. They could quite comfortably release a Wii:HD without making current Wii consoles obsolete. They just needs games that scale, like PC games do. So all Wii HD games could be played on Wii, just with lesser graphics, best of both worlds in my opinion. Additionally, all current Wii games would be playable on the Wii:HD but obviously only in the standard resolution.

Obviously for scaling games to work, the Wii:HD couldn't have any special features or controls that aren't in the current Wii but.. things like Wiimotes with motion plus built in would be fine. Also the Wii desperately needs an overhaul of its online gaming, starting with a single friend code for the entire system.

When the Wii was first announced there was just so much potential in the non-gaming side of the system that I think has gone untapped and this could also be sorted with the new system. It could have been a great way to connect with friends and family but they ruined it by being over cautious with the child-safe side of things. Also, anyone remember the promise that almost every morning you'd wake up to find your Wii's light glowing blue which signalled some new surprise being sent to you? That could have been awesome, a new item of Mii clothing or different pattern or colour for example would hardly have taken too much work to put together.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

I think you're flawed.

My whole existence is flawed...

You bring me closerrrr to Godddddd!

To me, it feels like the Wii still has another gear it could go to. I don't think Nintendo have pushed themselves too hard this generation, and I still feel that there are a good few years left in this machine. However, it really depends what they have in store next generation.

The games just seem to be getting better and better, and I think there's a good amount of quality games on the system. Saying that, it still feels to me as if we're still waiting for something in particular. It could be Zelda Wii, or the new Metroid, or something else. There is a lot more that could be done this generation. It just seems a bit too calm at the moment, hehe.

on the other hand the wii could go the same route as the ds (ds lite is smaller, and DSi has more cpu power and a view added gimmicks)

I could see a new itteration of Wii at the end of 2010 with an upscaler function to 720 or even 1080p. Some tvs brand are doing a lousy job of upscaling your wii signal what results in jaggies.

With an upscaler (with added AA) they could smoothen the edges without the negative point of washed out/fuzzy subtitles and such.

Think about it, it still isnt a WiiHD but it is a wii that upscales to HD. That way there are not deviding the wii audiens in non HD and HD users.

OK it's thread time again!

December 8th 2006 seems so long ago yet the feeling of motion control still emotionally entrances my mind. And when Wii just didn't stop selling I clearly wasn't alone.

Three years later we are all aware of the little machine that encapsulated an entire generation going on to enrapture jaded gamers and capture those who hadn't gamed since Pong and Tetris back in the 70's and 80's. The little machine that defined an age will be remembered for generations to come and will be held in the same revolutionary light as the NES and the Gameboy.

Afterall, codename Revolution was always what Wii was truly about.

The rest is history. Sure the Wii has struggled to find an identity amongst certain sects of gamers and arguably the console has survived turbulence through the added stability the balance board created for the casual market and Motion Plus which stabilised the 'hardcore' market, promising new depth to motion control.

In 2010 Wii will come full circle and it will be on two very ironic fronts. Ubisoft will finally give Wii owners a mature follow up to their marmite launch title: Red Steel, and Nintendo will probably reveal a new Zelda outing. Both will flaunt advanced motion control and graphics that truly embrace the Wii's strengths.

The irony cuts deep.

It has been a conflicting 3 years and Nintendo have once again shown that if you get involved with them it's never plain sailing. The abusive partner but one which you will keep coming back to. Nintendo sell Kiddie cocaine and the colourful, joyous journeys they take you on still makes everything else seem like a soulless imitation. And even with technology tied behind their back, Nintendo again prove that when it comes to re imagining a company and mastering two markets, they have it down to a fine art. Software is king but the conflict comes when you realise that Wii software has been whored, abandoned, sublime and dire all in equal parts.

But is 2010 the last year for Wii?

Will we see one last hurrah from Nintendo around Christmas 2010? Will Link finally deliver on true motion controlled sword fighting in 2010 or will 2011 be the last year for the console?

Maybe you think that the term 'Wii' go on in a similar vein to the DS?

Thoughts as ever. They matter. : peace:

I think nintendo will release a wii HD version before they release a new console. They're simply itching to do it. As We have seen on other thread wii games look very good upscaled too.

I'm not sure about graphics though. I Think if the wii was the same power as the ps3 devs would still piss and moan and showcase crap graphics on the wii.

It's a difficult question but I think the wii as we know it will not be sold anymore this time next year. A new version will have been released,not a brand new console but an update. Wii is slowing down and they NEED to do something and they are kidding themselves if they think new colours are enough.

Wii wont have a HD version because the Vitality Sensor will be shown in detail at E3 2010 and the game series that has it own holiday in Japan ie Dragon Quest X will be released.

I just want a Nintendo console that actually has a decent amount of online functionality. :sad:

I don't care much about how it looks considering my lack of a high definition TV though I wouldn't mind a little bit more power in the graphics department.

Personally I'm surprised the Wii's as old as it is. I haven't played it even a tenth as much I did my GC so it generally feels a bit disappointing to me. I feel as though I'm still waiting for it to properly reach its stride. :hmm:

I would very much like the next NINTENDO console to have a sphere form:D

That would look so sweet and it has never been done before!

That's what the XBOX360 should've looked like, I mean it's their bleedin' logo!

I would very much like the next NINTENDO console to have a sphere form:D

That would look so sweet and it has never been done before!

That's what the XBOX360 should've looked like, I mean it's their bleedin' logo!

Imagine if the Nintendo 64 had looked like the N64 logo :heh:

The Wii's best times with me were its opening months. When I had it at Uni, with dozens of potential players spanning 3 floors of student halls of residence. Loads of people came round to play Wii sports and make their own Mii. It was a friend magnet, and many good times were had. After that it was only when we got members of the same crowd back that we even bothered to get it out, for a bit of bowling or golf. And admittedly, it was more than just nostalgia, it was good fun. But it's sad to think that years on, the only game anyone I knew wanted to play on my Wii, was the first one, the Wii Sports game that wowed everyone in the first place. Maybe now, if I had the cash for Motion Plus (that's what it's called, right?) and Wii Sports Plus (again...) I could revive those days, but I'm not convinced.

I would be happy if next year was the Wii's last year, hopefully it will have an awesome swansong with Zelda and then something new and more awesome will be just around the corner.

Imagine if the Nintendo 64 had looked like the N64 logo
That would've been really fucking cool and you know it.

I think nintendo will release a wii HD version before they release a new console. They're simply itching to do it. As We have seen on other thread wii games look very good upscaled too.

I'm not sure about graphics though. I Think if the wii was the same power as the ps3 devs would still piss and moan and showcase crap graphics on the wii.

It's a difficult question but I think the wii as we know it will not be sold anymore this time next year. A new version will have been released,not a brand new console but an update. Wii is slowing down and they NEED to do something and they are kidding themselves if they think new colours are enough.

Sorry but what on earth makes you think that? They wouldn't moan they would use the power. The wii has virtually no power next to the other consoles.

You can't blame Nintendo. Clearly you shouldn't be so unlikeable

I'm not saying friends don't come round anymore, I'm saying when they do, they don't care about the Wii anymore.