NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I liked the little cat sanctuary in Skyloft. There didn't seem to be a point to it - just a bunch of cats relaxing in a flowerbed.

I thought that was cute. :smile:

Bought on day one, finished today...

Would I be deemed greedy if I said I wanted a little more???

Being declared a prequel to the series I wanted a bit more history. Tell me about the Sheikah tribe, I have yet to see a 'tribe' just one or two members per game. What of the Gerudo? Zoras? Goron society? For two games running now there has been a Gerudo Desert without any Gerudo...?

This is certainly a good game, but I feel it uses and borrows too much from other Zeldas ('restoring the master sword' - WW, 'reviving a formerly sealed evil' TP) - which makes it feel tedious early on, we've pretty much done this before. Sigh, I don't know anymore, maybe I'm just growing out of these games...

Sadly, for me the music was poor, only a few memorable tracks and even that is more of a ringing in the head from just hearing the music for extensive periods. The desert/time shift mixes were lovely - the harp songs were weak. I've got four Zelda soundtracks in my iTunes collection, but I don't see a use for SS.

One thing I did love, was the desert ocean..! Such a beautiful and ingenious idea. Now if the pirates were Gerudo, with a certain male ancestor... Would have been the highlight of the game...

Credits due I like how they made the overal game feel 'different'. For some reason though it makes me appreciate TP a bit more.

Bought on day one, finished today...

Would I be deemed greedy if I said I wanted a little more???

Being declared a prequel to the series I wanted a bit more history. Tell me about the Sheikah tribe, I have yet to see a 'tribe' just one or two members per game. What of the Gerudo? Zoras? Goron society? For two games running now there has been a Gerudo Desert without any Gerudo...?

This is certainly a good game, but I feel it uses and borrows too much from other Zeldas ('restoring the master sword' - WW, 'reviving a formerly sealed evil' TP) - which makes it feel tedious early on, we've pretty much done this before. Sigh, I don't know anymore, maybe I'm just growing out of these games...

Sadly, for me the music was poor, only a few memorable tracks and even that is more of a ringing in the head from just hearing the music for extensive periods. The desert/time shift mixes were lovely - the harp songs were weak. I've got four Zelda soundtracks in my iTunes collection, but I don't see a use for SS.

One thing I did love, was the desert ocean..! Such a beautiful and ingenious idea. Now if the pirates were Gerudo, with a certain male ancestor... Would have been the highlight of the game...

Credits due I like how they made the overal game feel 'different'. For some reason though it makes me appreciate TP a bit more.

Did you not notice the ancestor with the final boss? He cursed Link and Zelda's incarnations to forever face incarnations of him i.e. Ganondorf

I understand evil being reincarnated, but that doesn't exactly mean Ganondorf or the Gerudo are descendants of Demise.

I understand evil being reincarnated, but that doesn't exactly mean Ganondorf or the Gerudo are descendants of Demise.

I thought it meant Ganondorf was exactly that.

Have to say I thought the final boss whilst pretty damn cool was also pretty damn easy.

I thought it meant Ganondorf was exactly that.

Have to say I thought the final boss whilst pretty damn cool was also pretty damn easy.

His more Ganondorf's predecessor than ancestor. Reincarnation just means someone being born with that same malice. It could have been a Goron.

Just finished. Two things before I post more in depth thoughts later:

1) The most fun I've ever had playing a Zelda game. Loved every single moment of it, besides 2 small-ish sections which I hated.

2) The final boss was very, very, VERY anti-climatic. I mean shit, the boss before last had more going for it.

I can't believe it's over :(

Its my favourite zelda game of all time. i just loved the story so much. all the characters were amazing. Link and Zelda's relationship was the highlight of the game for me. Also i dont understand why people are complaining about the music, it was an epic score.

His more Ganondorf's predecessor than ancestor. Reincarnation just means someone being born with that same malice. It could have been a Goron.

I agree. However, I don't miss the Gerudo (although it would be nice to see another male). In TP it made sense - the species died out after their only male was locked away.

I agree. However, I don't miss the Gerudo (although it would be nice to see another male). In TP it made sense - the species died out after their only male was locked away.

Speculative. A gossip stone in OOT states Gerudo women seek Hyrulian mates.

alot seem to be complaining about backstorys of other games not being filled in. this is never gonna happen, this is just how nintendo do zelda games. they will have a few things link up (in ww you went down to hyrule, in tp gannon was sealed away and the temple of time) but for the most part they create the game in a timeline and then all the gameplay elements are pretty much created for the purpose of that game, not so they can fill in the blanks of later games that were made 10 years ago. that is just how nintendo have, and always will do things.

besides do you really need little references to tell you stuff like 'here is where the gerudos started ' here is where the zoras started' it doesnt matter, they started somewhere, you can use your imagination.

Speculative. A gossip stone in OOT states Gerudo women seek Hyrulian mates.

Wasn't there a greenish bartender in TP?

The Legend of Zelda

- Outside of the Sandship, all the Dungeons feature an opening cut-scene where Link makes his way down into the earth. As mentioned in an Iwata Asks, this was meant to reference how in the original Zelda Link descended down stairs into each dungeon.

- The infamous "It's a secret to everyone!" line is used twice in Skyward Sword, first by the Kikwi elder Yerbal and later by a Parella trapped behind a rock.

- The first game featuring Impa as an old woman, this obviously inspired the elder (well, technically younger) Impa in Skyward Sword. Impa in Skyward Sword is also like the Old Men and Woman in the original Zelda, the mysterious, lone humans you run into in a land filled with monsters.

-Octoroks in Skyward Sword are noted by Fi to be land-based, as opposed to aquatic like they are in the rest of the 3D Zeldas, just like they were in the original Zelda.

-The Hero Mode in Skyward Sword pays tribute to the 2nd Quest in The Legend of Zelda, a harder-mode unlocked after completing the game.

The Adventure of Link

-In this game, Link obtains the full Triforce by passing various trials in order to prove his courage, which is used in Skyward Sword, as the second-half of the game involves Link obtaining the Triforce in a similar manner.

-The whole "Zelda has been asleep for hundreds of years" plot in The Adventure of Link is paid homage to in Skyward Sword where Zelda is put asleep, although for different reasons. Once more it is up to Link to wake her. Furthermore, a central theme of the game is the villains attempting to revive their master.

Link to the Past

-The first three dungeons in Link to the Past are similar to the first three in Skyward Sword, although in a different order. You have a temple located in an ancient temple located in the eastern forest area, a desert temple in the west, and finally a temple atop a mountain to the north.

-The character of Batreaux in Skyward Sword brings to mind The Mad Batter, a similar bat-demon who, despite his fearsome appearance, was rather polite. The Cursed Medal in Skyward Sword references how Batter would always "curse" you with a good effect, like doubling your magic meter. He also appeared in Link's Awakening.

-This game was the first to feature a Fortune Teller who would point you where to go, which inspired many future characters...such as Sparrot in Skyward Sword.

-The Bug Catching Net finally returns, and like in Link to the Past can be used to grab bugs and fairies. The little Skyloft kid obsessed with bugs brings to mind a healthy version of the Bug Catching Kid.

-Skyward Sword tells the origin of the Master Sword, which first appeared in Link to the Past. The Master Sword theme also plays in Skyward Sword when Zelda powers your sword up before going to sleep.

-Ghirahim, whose name is probably not coincidentally similar to Agahnim, are similar characters working for the bad guy. The ritual Ghirahim performs on Zelda brings to mind Agahnim's ritual he performs on Zelda when you fight him in Hyrule Castle.

-Gaepora's book he carries in official art strongly resembles the Book of Mudora. Gaepora is very knowledgeable on ancient lore, which the Book of Mudora is said to contain.

-Zelda's lullaby, although not referred to that name in LttP, is part of Skyward Sword's main theme "Song of the Goddess". Ghirahim's theme also begins in a way that resembles Ganon's theme introduced in LttP as well.

-This was the first game where the wish-granting powers of the Triforce were mentioned, which is used at the end of Skyward Sword in order to stop Demise.

-Link can use a mushroom to create a special powder that hurts, confuses, and stuns enemies...in Skyward Sword, you can catch shiny mushroom spores and use them in order to stun enemies.

Link's Awakening

- Levias in Skyward Sword greatly resembles the Windfish, leading many to believe they were one in the same, and is being tormented by an evil creature that is causing it great distress.

- Marin and Zelda are similar, having an implied relationship with Link as well as believing in a world outside of their island, for Marin across the sea and for Zelda below the clouds.

- The entrance to the Ancient Cistern and Catfish Maw are both giant fish-mouths.

Ocarina of Time

-This was the first game to introduce the Goddess Trio, Farore, Din, and Nayru, who are mentioned in Skyward Sword and have songs named after them as well. Their symbols also appear in Skyward Sword.

-Both games begin with Link having a nightmare about the main villain. Link's also, in both games, referred to as being a sleepyhead by Navi and Zelda.

-The whole post-Lanayru Mining Facility, with Impa protecting Zelda from the villain, and Zelda throwing Link the main musical instrument, is strikingly similar to the scene in Ocarina where Impa runs off with Zelda from Ganondorf. Both take place after the third dungeon as well.

-Groose is a more-developed Mido, a childhood bully towards Link, likes the same girl who likes Link, etc. He also strongly resembles a Gerudo, with the same eyes and hair color, which was probably meant to be a red-herring leading people to speculate he was related to Ganondorf.

-The Sage Medallions appear near the entrance of The Goddess Statue.

-Dodongo Caverns in Ocarina and the Earth Temple in Skyward Sword are extremely similar, both being the 2nd dungeon, fire-based dungeons located atop what is Death Mountain, introducing Bomb Flowers and featuring the Bomb Bag as the dungeon item, two Lizardfos serving as the mini-boss (and in a similar room), and the boss defeated by feeding him bombs.

-The Fire Temple and Fire Sanctuary are also similar, once more in similar locations, inside a volcano, and featuring the local NPCs who you must rescue in order to progress.

-A notable feature of Adult Link in Ocarina was his stylish earrings, which return in Skyward Sword with an additional function...they allow Link to survive high temperatures like the Goron Tunic.

-Gorons, first introduced in Ocarina of Time, once more return in Skyward Sword. They are the only Ocarina-based race to do so.

-Gaepora is an obvious reference to Kaepora Gaepora, and, since a Gossip Stone implies that Kaepora Gaepora is the reincarnation of a light sage, may be the same character. He also resembles Rauru, possibly a nod towards the speculation that Kaepora Gaepora was Rauru's pet or human form.

-Gossip Stones return, still making the "bo-oing!" noise and dispersing information. Like in Ocarina, Skyward Sword allows you to hit them with various items as well as blast them off using a bomb.

-The Temple of Time, first appearing in Skyward Sword, returns although located in a different location. This was the first game to feature time travel as a major plot point, which returns in Skyward Sword.

-The Octoroks in Skyward Sword resemble the Deku Scrubs introduced in Ocarina, hiding under a bush and popping out to shoot rocks at you. You defeat them in a similar way. Deku Babas, who originated in OoT, also return.

-Some people, although I think it's stretching it a bit, think the drawing of a knight fighting a monster on Link's house is meant to be Link battle Demise...I dunno about this one.

-The younger (well, technically older) Impa in Skyward Sword is based off the Impa in OoT, and she plays a similar role, saving Zelda from the main villain at the halfway point.

-Demise has the same voice actor as Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time, the first time he was voiced, and resembles Ganon's human form which was first introduced (properly) in the same game. This is obviously a hint towards Ganondorf being Demise's "curse", or something of the sort.

-Like with the Kokiri, who are given a fairy at birth, the Skyloftians are given a Loftwing at birth. Link is special in both games...in Ocarina for not having a fairy, and in Skyward for having an unusually strong bond with his bird.

-Sheik's harp is implied to be the Goddess Harp in Skyward Sword, which makes sense that it would be passed down to the current Zelda.

-The Lanayru Mining Facility sounds quite similar to the Spirit Temple Theme in Ocarina of Time.

-The Household theme, first appearing in Ocarina, returns in Skyward Sword.

-The Lumpy Pumpkin theme is similar to Lon Lon Ranch, and Pumm and Kina look a bit like Talon and Malon too...Kina even sings in a way akin to Malon.

-The Slingshot introduced in this game returns, and is found in roughly the same area too.

-After years of speculation, the red bird in the Hylian Shield, which is the secret gift in Skyward Sword upon completing boss rush, is revealed to be the original Link's faithful steed.

-The Batreaux sidequest in Skyward Sword resembles the Skulltula sidequest in Ocarina of Time, both quests resulting in cash gifts and the character becoming, or returning to, a human.

Majora's Mask

-Skyloft seems to have been mainly inspired by Clock Town, both being the lone central town in the middle of the map with a lot of characters with their own developments and character arcs.

-The whole Cawlin-Pipit-Karane quest is a shout-out to Anju and Kafei, even including one part where you can give an important letter to a ghostly hand emerging from a toilet.

-Link in Skyward Sword, upon being able to swim, is given the ability to perform a dolphin jump out of the water like Majora's Mask's Zora Link.

-At one part, you help the seahorse-looking Parella find his friend when following him underwater, bringing to mind the part in Pinnacle Rock in Majora's Mask where you had to reunite the two seahorses.

-Bird Statues return from MM, and in Skyward Sword they are once more the only save locations. You can also use them as warp points.

-The Treasure Chest Game Operator in Majora's Mask is like Peatrice, as she's often bored and asleep yet will fall for Link if he's wearing the Zora Mask.

-Tingle, first appearing in Majora's Mask, makes a cameo as a doll in Zelda's room.

-The ClockTown Swordmaster's dojo involves having to cut logs, which is used in the Knight Academy in Skyward Sword.

-Ghirahim's design resembles the Gilded Sword, leading people to speculate that he was the human form of it...close, but no cigar. His design may still be a shout-out, though.

Oracle Games

-The Medals in Skyward Sword are like the rings, upgrades that you can only carry a limited number of at one time.

-Oracle of Seasons introduced the Hyper Slingshot, which like the Scattershot in Skyward Sword can shoot multiple seeds at once.

-The Sand Sea Pirates (or, Pirate, as you only see one of them) are a reference to the Piratians in Oracle of Seasons who were stranded in the desert.

-Zelda in Skyward Sword borrows elements of both Nayru and Din...all three are embodiments of a goddess, Nayru plays a harp, the main instrument of both Ages and Skyward Sword, and Din spends most of Seasons trapped in a crystal like Zelda.

- The Harp of Ages in Oracle of Ages has three songs, each one represented by one of the Goddess' emblems, and there are three songs for the Goddess Harp in Skyward Sword with the same emblems as well.

-At one part in Ages you lose all your equipment and have to find them again, which happens in Skyward Sword during the Fire Dragon segment.

-The Linked Game of Oracle involves three sacred flames, as does Skyward Sword, although the flames are for a different, more nefarious use in Oracle.

Wind Waker

-Tetra, whose name is the prefix for four, may have a pretty significant name now that Skyward Sword has been released as the Zelda bloodline, presumably, is the human incarnation of the fourth Goddess, speculated to represent the missing center of the Triforce.

-Wind Waker and Skyward Sword end in similar ways, with Link and Zelda exploring a new world and establishing Hyrule.

-Beedle, as well as his shop music which first originated in Wind Waker, return in Skyward Sword.

-The Sky is a smaller version of Wind Waker's The Great Ocean, and both feature Link riding atop a red bird-like creature...it's speculated that the King of Red Lions was designed by the Hyrule Royal Family to resemble Link's Crimson Loftwing.

-The Goddess Cubes are similar to the Sea Charts (one of which appears in Skyward Sword's Skipper Island subquest) in that they reveal the locations of hidden treasures in the overworld.

-Rupin's Mom in Skyward Sword is the female equivalent to Mila's father, a vain character who will actually charge Link if he breaks their antiques.

-Gaepora looks a lot like King Hyrule, which makes sense since the former would be the latter's great ancestor.

-On the trail leading up Dragon Roost to the Fire Dungeon, there are little platforms you create by throwing a bomb into a hoop, which is reused in Lanyru Desert.

-The intro to Wind Waker inspired the intro to Skyward Sword, the latter utilizing a similar "storybook style".

-The Korok's are simillar to the Kikwi and, given that the Koroks are the transformed version of the Kokiri, many people believe the Kikwi may become the Kokiri over time as well.

- The "Earth Temple" moniker is reused in Skyward Sword, and some people believe the temples to be the same, despite being in different places and being quite different in design and theme.

-The Parachute Link obtains in Skyward Sword functions like a less controllable Deku Leaf, and also resembles the Sail from Wind Waker as well.

-Link's role as the hero is doubted in both Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, and his main mission through both games in the first half is to rescue someone close to him. Around the main point, both Links activate various beacons to show the way to a large tower where they undergo a trial to prove their role as the Hero.

-This was the first game where Link started without his green tunic, which was reused in Skyward Sword.

-Every NPC (except for the unscannable Parella and the generic robots, which makes sense plot wise) are named, something that Wind Waker was the first, and only Zelda, to do.

-Fi greatly resembles the Fairy Queen, something EVERYONE noticed early on.

-Gorons are nomadic once more in Skyward Sword, having not yet established a home on Death Mountain.

-The "Eldin"/Death Mountain Region in Skyward Sword was watched over by a Fire Dragon, as it was in Wind Waker.

-Ganondorf in Wind Waker is killed by having a sword shoved in his head, and Demise has a scar on his head. Furthermore, while The Imprisoned, he has a sword in his head as well.

Minish Cap

-Minish Cap's opening is like Skyward Sword, as Link and Zelda are childhood friends and implied to be a bit more and there is a contest taking place. Minish Cap and Skyward Sword are also the only Zeldas, outside the sequels, where Zelda and Link know each other from the outset.

-Elzo and Vaati and Fi and Ghirahim are similar pairs...both are counterparts to each other, as both Elzo and Vaati are Minish while both Fi and Ghirahim are swords. Elzo and Fi both are used to establish a main Zelda canon item, Link's cap and sword respectively.

-Ghirahim, like Vaati, is a flamboyant, pale, skilled swordsman who are also powerful when it comes to magic. Vaati's fate is the same as Demise, sealed within a sword.

-Minish Cap was the first game referencing an ancient civilization in the sky, The Wind Tribe, which was expanded on in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, although a presumably different civilization.

-The Minish Cap is structured similarly to Skyward Sword, with rather lengthy segments needed to reach most of the dungeons, a dense over-world, and faster-paced dungeons.

-Out of all the Hyrules, the Minish Cap one is the closest to Skyward Sword with a forest/lake area in the SE corner, a mountainous volcano area to the north, the central city and castle in the middle, and a desert-like area to the west filled with ancient robots.

-The Mole Mitts and Gust Jar return, as the Mogma Mitts and Gust Bellows.

-Castle Town is like Skyloft, featuring a large bazaar, a bustling town filled with many citizens, and a school.

Twilight Princess

-Like in Twilight Princess, there are three segments in which you must gather Tears of Light in a warped version of the overworld in order to progress through the game.

-Many jingles are re-used from Twilight Princess, including the bug-GET noise (when you catch a bug), the Poe Soul noise (used when you get all the Tears of Light), the music that plays when you find a rupee in a chest, and the noise the Twili Beast make which plays when the Guardians are chasing you.

-Fun Fun Island and Dodoh bring to mind the flamboyant Fyer and Falbi, as you are both launched from a cannon and have to descend down in a mini-game like Flight by Fowl. Furthermore, I believe the location of Fun Fun Island, over the Lanayru region, would roughly correspond to Lake Hylia.

-A tree-stump atop a cliff in Lanyru Desert, near the entrance to the Temple of Time, corresponds to a similar tree located in Lake Hylia, the same location about.

-The hats the Ancient Robots wear, as well as the generator that opens the Lanayru Mines, greatly resembles Midna's hat. Furthermore, Scrapper, like Midna, is used to pick up and transport large objects that Link cannot. He even treats Link like Midna originally did, insulting him.

-Fledge is basically a more minor, exaggerated version of Colin, the local wimp who looks up to Link.

-Midna was the first partner that was fully voiced through gibberish which was reused for Fi.

-The patrons of the Lumpy Pumpkin call to mind the famous bar in Twilight Princess. The pumpkins themselves bring to mind the Ordon Pumpkins.

-Once more you collect a variety of bugs in various locations and can sell them to the local bug freak for cash.

-The Temple of Time in Twilight Princess and the Lanayru Mining Facility in Skyward Sword are both ancient, abandoned facilities that are surprisingly high-tech in the past, both featuring Armos and Beamos. Both of them are also overrun by tiny, larva versions of the final boss--Armogohma and Moldarach.

-The ChuChus in Skyward Sword strongly resemble the Twilight Princess ChuChus in the way that they split and combine depending on how fast you slice them. The Skyward Sword Spume's also resemble the Toadpoli enemy in Twilight Princess.

-The Fatal Blow finishing move returns in Skyward Sword. The Arrow controls introduced in Twilight Princess also form the basis for the Arrow Controls in Skyward Sword.

-The Bokoblin in Skyward Sword are extremely similar to the Bulbin in Twilight Princess, more so than they do the TP Bokoblin, being the most prolific and advanced enemies, wearing similar outfits (especially the archer varieties), utilizing similar attack methods, mainly a mix of close combat and sniping, and the Monster Horn they blow to call each other resembles and sounds like the horn that King Bulbin uses.

-The Double Clawshots return in Skyward Sword, and you even at one point use them to hook onto Peahats like in Twilight Princess.

-The City in the Sky Dungeon of Twilight Princess is believed to be Skyloft in the far future, and what appears to be the Oocca theme plays in the opening when mentioning Skyloft.

-Following Fi through Skyloft at night in Skyward Sword resembles the segment where you chase the ghost of the Zora Queen through Kakariko in Skyward Sword, both taking place at night and featuring an enchanting, slow melody.

-The Time Gate resembles the Mirror of Twilight.

-The Province names- Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru - return as do the guardian spirits, now taking the form of dragons.

-The Tycoon Wallet, earned by completing Batreaux's quest, is a golden man's face that brings to mind Jovanni, who offered similar rewards.

Phantom Hourglass

- The Beacons, little icons you can place on your map to mark areas, was first introduced in Phantom Hourglass where you could mark important placed on your map utilizing the DS stylus.

- After the big reveal in Phantom Hourglass, Link must gather three special metals in order to forge the Phantom Sword in order to defeat Bellum. In Skyward Sword, Link must similarly gather three flames to forge the Master Sword.

-Using the Stylus in Phantom Hourglass, Link had to draw various symbols on doors in order to open them...which is used in Skyward Sword in order to access Lake Floria, by drawing Farore's symbol, as well as drawing on walls in order to gain items.

-Phantom Hourglass featured a segment where you had to chase a Ghost Ship through fog using your fairies in order to navigate, while in Skyward Sword you use dowsing in order to pursuit a literal invisible ship. Upon catching both ships, you enter them and they serve as a dungeon.

-The whole Sand Sea segment features a somewhat cowardly captain who makes Link do all the actual work while he simply drives the ship that brings to mind Linebeck and the navigation system of Phantom Hourglass.

-Treasures, featured in Skyward Sword, were introduced in Phantom Hourglass where they served as merely a way to acquire rupees as opposed to upgrading items.

-Phantom Hourglass featured the use of stealth segments in which you had to make your way through an area while avoiding invincible guardians who could instantly kill you, which was used for Skyward Sword's Silent Realm sequences.

-The Ocean King Temple had to be explored multiple times, the first time in the series you had to backtrack through a dungeon in order to progress, which was used in Skyward Sword albeit in a less frustrating manner.

-Rupoors, Rupees that take away your money, return in the Fun Fun Island and Thrill Digger mini-games. The Thrill Digger game itself resembles the Harrow Island Digging Mini-Game in Phantom Hourglass in which you could dig at the risk of losing rupees by finding Rupoors.

-Don't remember which dungeon this was, but like the Ancient Cistern, one of the Dungeons featured a tablet which told you the "true order of the temple" which later came into play during one of the puzzles.

Spirit Tracks

-Force Gems are formed when you help an NPC out, and thus are like the Gratitude Crystals that you receive in Skyward Sword upon helping out an NPC.

-The Treasure in Spirit Tracks, unlike in Phantom Hourglass which was just used to earn extra cash, is necessary in order to upgrade your train. Furthermore, like Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks features a Treasure known as Hornet Larvae (well, Bee Larvae in ST) that is obtained by hitting a tree with a beehive and picking it up before the bees attack you. The Star Fragment in Spirit Tracks, another Treasure, also looks similar to a Gratitude Crystal.

-At the bottom of Moldarach's Boss Room in Dungeon 3, after you beat him and the sand empties, is a train station that looks extremely similar to the central room in the Tower of Spirits where the Spirit Train was kept.

-The Whip was first introduced in Spirit Tracks, and is similar to its Skyward Sword incarnation...particularly using it to swing on branches to reach platforms. Furthermore, the little rings you grab to pull off Koloktos' arms resemble the ring hooks on the swords in the Ocean Temple you could grab with the whip. Both dungeons featuring the Whip, the Ocean Temple in ST and the Ancient Cistern in SS, are water-based.

-The boss of the Ocean Temple, Phytops, and Tentalus, the boss of the Sand Ship, are both one-eyed giant octopus creatures where, during the first part of the fight, you must make your way to the main boss platform while avoiding their tentacles.

-The Lokomo Duets are equivalent to the Harp sections in Skyward Sword where you have to play along with a character in order to open the way to the next dungeon.

-Chancellor Cole and Ghirahim have a similar goal, to capture Zelda and use her in order to revive their master who was sealed away long ago, and both meet a similar fate...basically sacrificed by their master once he awakens. Ghirahim, however, seems to enjoy it, being his plan all along, whereas Chancellor Cole is quickly sacrificed as Malladus had no options left.

-Beedle in Spirit Tracks, like in Skyward Sword, flies around in an airship and you must gain his attention by blowing a whistle/hitting a bell, which causes him to drop down and pick you up.

-Like in Skyward Sword, Link in Spirit Tracks begins the game undergoing a test in order to graduate which ends with him meeting Zelda, going off with her, and her getting kidnapped by the main villain's henchman. He also dons his usual green attire which in both games is the uniform of the local knights.

Ocarina of Time 3D

-The Hint Movie Sheikah Stone as well as the Boss Rush, concepts introduced in OoT 3D, were both carried over to Skyward Sword. Sheikah's Harp was also updated in OoT 3D to more closely resemble Zelda's Harp in Skyward Sword.

Real World References

-In the Skipper's House, there is a picture that parodies the infamous bow scene in Titanic.

-The part in the Earth Temple where you find the boss key and are chased by a boulder is a shout out to the infamous Indiana Jones scene. The whole Ancient Cistern Dungeon, featuring a whip and ancient statues, also invokes Indiana Jones.

-Mario Galaxy seems to have inspired the Zelda Team quite a bit, as you have the Boulder Controls in the Earth Temple, the Bird Controls similar to Mario Galaxy 2's Flutter, and the Octoroks resembling the Octoomba and Octoguy villains from Galaxy.

-The Earth Temple has a strong Bali/Mongolian influence, whereas the Ancient Cistern is based off India/Buddhism, including a segment based off a Buddhist short story entitled "The Spider's Thread".

-All of the Skyloftians have bird puns...

*Groose comes from Grouse, large birds who are known to use their bright combs to impress females

*Cawlin may come from the term for the sound crows make, "caw, caw", or perhaps a Macaw?

*Strich is obviously from Ostrich, given his appearance.

*Peatrice and her dad Peater come from the Peahen and Peacock. Peatrice also comes from Beatrice. Peater, a pun on Peter, might also reference peat, dried plant material (fitting since he's past his prime and associated with bamboo). He was also known to be popular among the ladies, i.e., he strutted around like a peacock in his younger days.

*Sparrot is a pun on parrot and tarot, a method of fortune telling.

*Fledge is the name for a bird incapable of flight and with undeveloped wing muscles, perfectly describing Fledge.

-All of the Kikwi are named after teas...Yerbal is the obvious one.

*Yerbal is obviously Herbal.

*Oolo is Oolong.

*Bucha is probably either Bancha or Chai.

*Erla is Earl Grey.

*Lopsa might be Lapsang Souchong

*Not sure about Machi

-All of the Mogma are named after elements...

*The leader is Guld (Gold), the second-in-command Silva (Silver)

*Bronzi (Bronze), Cobal (Cobalt), Kortz (Quartz), Ledd (Lead), Merco (Mercury), Nackle (Nickle), Plats (Platinum), Tyto (Titanium?), Tubert (I don't know this one), and Zanc (Zinc)

Soucre.

Missing from that list to me is Peatrice look's alot like Pinkle (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)

They seemed to have missed:

- The Temple of Time in SS isn't the Temple of Time in other games - it pretty much gets destroyed. Throughout Skyward Sword, you create a new Gate of Time at the Sacred Grounds. Link also puts the Master Sword there. This temple is what becomes the Temple of Time.

- The final battle feels a lot like Wind Waker, including the very same way that if you haven't done enough damage, the final blow won't work.

well just finished the game

and i think its my favorite zelda, i fell more and more in love with it as it went along

the revelations that demise is reincarnated as Gannon/Gannondorf (or heavy hinting) helps to tie in how they are always reincarnated, its all part of demises endless curse, is a great idea overall

but it did leave me with a few questions

what was the land like before the first war between the 4th Goddess and Demise?

Assuming Hyrule and the Hylian are named in remembrance of the Goddess (since she assumes the role of Zelda), at which point did the Old Gods become more common knowledge? was this to divert the following generations from discussing the goddess or something?

What occurred in the millennia between demises destruction and the Skyloft events? nothing?

will it create another split timeline though is my biggest question! OoT had the Child and Adult timelines splitting off from each other due to returning to the past after defeating gannon and sealing the door preventing him.

In Skyward Sword they destroyed/Imprissoned demise in the past, presumably with Gihrahim (of the future) so therefore the past was theoretically free of Demise and

they then return to the Future where Demise is gone.

I'd rather not have another split timeline further convoluting the shaky timeline

But overall great game, erm is it too soon to say roll on Zelda 3DS?

Just finished it myself, with 47 hours on the clock. I loved the last dungeon, and the section leading up to the final boss was great too. I'm hoping for playable Demise in the next Smash Bros..

Great twist about Impa at the end - I realised that 'Grannie' was Impa about ten seconds before the reveal, although, looking back at it now, it was kinda obvious..

Skyward Sword now sits at number three in my list of favourite 3D Zeldas, behind OOT and MM. I think it was all the fetch quests that let it down for me - far too much unnecessary padding. Swordplay was fantastic though, as was the graphical style - I'd really like them to keep it for Zelda Wii U.

I've still got about ten pieces of heart to find, as well as some gratitude crystals, so I've still got plenty to do. :)

Just finished it, loved the final battle. Whoever designed Demise is a genius. The way his hair flows and body pulsates looks fantastic.

Overall I enjoyed the game but it's not in my top 5 Zelda games. I did really enjoy the cinematic scenes with Zelda. It took 25 years but I finally cared for the character.

One scene which I loved was when she decided to put herself to sleep, it was quite moving but couldn't help but think it could have been alot more emotional if there was voice acting. Yes, I went there.

I mean Link looks shocked, lowers his head and then just walks off. His childhood partner has just essentially gave up her life and thats all we get off him. :D

I really hated the animation used for Fi when she sang a song. Nintendo used the same facial animation for all the songs and it just looked like she was screaming. Annoyed the hell out of me everytime I watched it.

FINISHED

My god that was one hell of an ending.

The final dungeon was great... if head wrecking.... man I hate those kind of puzzles haha.

Since this is the SPOILERS thread not sure if I should tag this or not, but since Cube tagged what he did above I guess I should Tag this too....

Then when you get the Triforce and the Isle of the Goddess lowers down, so EPIC... though I was getting worried for a moment that that is how it was gonna end as the cut scene seemed to go on quite a bit with everyone happy, haha.

Then with Ghir...(how do you spell that?) takes Zelda the whole sequence in getting down to him was awesome. And then the 3rd fight with him, EPIC, loved it, I was on my feet getting fully into the motions controls with the shield and the sword.

Then Demise... OMG was he Epic.... though did anyone else think "Akuma from Street Fighter?" for a minute? Haha. But still very awesome. Loved his sword too, like an "Evil Master Sword", even had an upside down Triforce symbol, haha.

Man I do wish they would go for voice acting that would have made him even more Epic with the right voice. Then the fight again on my feet getting fully into it..... though gotta admit he did beat me once.... when he started with the electric sword stage I kept frakking up, dispite 3 fairies and a potion++ :heh:

I think that may also have been the first time I failed to beat the final boss in a Zelda game on the first encounter? Though I could be wrong.

Beat him the second time though, I did backtrack to Skyloft though and get an invicibility potion so that I could have 3 mins to try different things without worry of dying when he had thunder power :heh:

The ending then, my gods I loved that. Demise talking about "cursing" Link and Zelda, the heavy implication that Ganondorf may well be his reincarnation tieing Ganondorf to this story without even mentioning him, nice touch. Could also imply that Vaati from Minish Cap and Four Swords is also a reincarnation of him and any other non-Ganondorf main enemy that has appeared (I didn't play the Oracle games on the GBC so don't know who the main villian(s) were there)

Link putting the Master Sword in the pedestal and Fi going into an "eternal sleep", kinda explaining why no other Link encounters Fi when using the Master Sword in other games, I had wondered would they try tie that up, glad they did. And while Fi was as annoying as Navi, I did like her (and Navi) to an extent so I was happy they let Fi say a proper goodbye to Link which Navi never got.

I did find it weird though that they impied the Sealed Grounds would become the Temple of Time from OOT, I had hoped we'd see the building of Hyrule at the end with the desert becoming a fertile land again and the Temple of Time there being rebuilt with Castle Town around it and Link sealing the Master Sword there.... but still what they did was pretty cool too, especially as Cube mentioned above the "Temple of Time" here no longer has an active Gate of Time but the Sealed Grounds do so it would make sense that that would then become the new Temple of Time..... though I do wonder what happened to the giant Goddess Statue in front of it?

Loved the music too throughout the ending, the game may have been weak a bit through the game but the ending delievered in spades. And in the credits getting to see the scenes of Zelda making her way to the temples and being rescued by Impa, LOVELY, didn't expect to get any further insight into her travels. Well impressed they put that in.

The one thing though that is annoying me about the ending is they never gave the land a name. I had expected from the begining that the game would end with Zelda or someone naming the land below the clouds. I know we all know it will be named Hyrule but I wanted to see that moment where the idea of the name comes and with "Hyrule" was first uttered. Thought we were gonna get it in that after credits scene but still nothing, shame.

Can't believe it's over :cry:

Will prolly start on Hero Mode next week :D

Not sure yet where it'll fit in my Zelda rankings.... OOT still holds strong as my fav (and fav game ever). I certainly enjoyed this overall more than I did Wind Waker, I never finished that more than once (tried to replay it a number of times but never followed through) but I can certainly see myself replaying Skyward Sword a few times :D

Oh yeah did anyone get all the Heart Pieces? I'm 3 short of 100%.... I'm thinking there's one for the Sword Mini game where you chop the bamboo tree... I can't get more than 28 cuts though, and I'm thinking the Fun FUn Island mini game has another for getting all the rings and the 50 rupee sqaure... but I can't get all the bloody rings never mind the 50 rupee square... no idea where the 3rd missing piece might be though.... I seem to have all the goddess cubes got as the dowsing is not bringing up anything so it can't be from one of those?

Oh yeah did anyone get all the Heart Pieces? I'm 3 short of 100%.... I'm thinking there's one for the Sword Mini game where you chop the bamboo tree... I can't get more than 28 cuts though, and I'm thinking the Fun FUn Island mini game has another for getting all the rings and the 50 rupee sqaure... but I can't get all the bloody rings never mind the 50 rupee square... no idea where the 3rd missing piece might be though.... I seem to have all the goddess cubes got as the dowsing is not bringing up anything so it can't be from one of those?

Ah wait I just remembered that the Thunder Dragon has a piece I didn't get yet... good thing I made a copy of the file before the final boss too so I can go back to get my 100%... though if I'm right about the other two pieces it'll take a lot of retrying :heh:

Also something else occured to me...

I think Nintendo may have inadvertidly FUCKED with the timeline again?

When you find out Zelda went to the past and sealed herself away into a deep sleep you could see Nintendo were throughout the game trying to maintain a single timeline.

IE: When you first get to the Sealed Grounds you can see the orange crystal through the gap in the door suggesting that there were in fact 2 Zelda's at that time, one alseep in the crystal and the other living in Skyloft and then visiting the Temples on her own (then with Impa)

you could argue then that the seal would have been stronger then when there were 2 Zelda's and became weaker when the "Present Day" Zelda went to the past... though she of course had to do that or else how else was the Crystal behind the door at the start.

But when Link gets the Triforce and uses his wish to destory Demise in the "Present" and Zelda wakes up, Ghiriham(sp?) takes Zelda back to the past.... there then should have been 2 Zeldas in the past now.... the one that just woke up and was taken there and the one that just went to sleep and still in the crystal. Yet when Link leaves the Master Sword in the pedestal after the fight you can see the back room and there is no crystal with a sleeping Zelda?

Also Link leaves the Master Sword IN THE PAST? So why wasn't it at the sealed Grounds at the start of the game? If maybe the pedestal was behind the door inside the room you could imagine it was placed where it couldn't be seen through the crack though it was in front of the door?

He should have come back to the present first before leaving it.

This is obviously just me looking too deep into things and prolly some time related stuff that the dev team neglected to think about, so hopefully they've not somehow created a new timeline again like they did after OOT.

2 parralell timelines I can handle.... 3... that's too much :heh:

2 parralell timelines I can handle.... 3... that's too much :heh:

I had very similar fear in my post above, i hope it wasn't the start of another split, i really hope not

you're thoughts on the layout of the new temple of time and the goddess statue

well i thought about that too, but i realised something; Remember in the game when you place the sword in the pedestal? the giant door (the door of time you open in ocarina) is behind the sword, where as in the future in the temple of time the sword is behind the door.

well your inside the sword room then aren't you? so think of it this way. the room with the zelda crystal will become the entrance to the temple, where the pedestal for the gems is created to open the door. and all where you are stood, that has the gate of time, will be the master sword room.

as you lift the sword in OoT you are transported to the temple of light (which we never see) so perhaps the gate rear doors and the area with the goddess statue and the Triforce is displaced/becomes the sacred realm, whats left behind is nothing and so a large curved room is built to encase the remaining void and the entrance/key that is the master sword

or thats how i can explain it with what nintendo has given

With regards to "the timeline", the architecture and layout of the land is probably one thing not fully considered. While there are many links and references, it's not 100%.

Mainly because having the same Hyrule in all games would be boring.

I had very similar fear in my post above, i hope it wasn't the start of another split, i really hope not

you're thoughts on the layout of the new temple of time and the goddess statue

well i thought about that too, but i realised something; Remember in the game when you place the sword in the pedestal? the giant door (the door of time you open in ocarina) is behind the sword, where as in the future in the temple of time the sword is behind the door.

well your inside the sword room then aren't you? so think of it this way. the room with the zelda crystal will become the entrance to the temple, where the pedestal for the gems is created to open the door. and all where you are stood, that has the gate of time, will be the master sword room.

as you lift the sword in OoT you are transported to the temple of light (which we never see) so perhaps the gate rear doors and the area with the goddess statue and the Triforce is displaced/becomes the sacred realm, whats left behind is nothing and so a large curved room is built to encase the remaining void and the entrance/key that is the master sword

or thats how i can explain it with what nintendo has given

interesting idea

Yeah I was thinking too that if those are the doors of time then why is the pedestal on the outside? Guess they could have moved it inside later? :heh:

Though I do think the Zelda Crystal room is where the Master Sword is meant to be, as the steps leading to the doors are very similar to the steps leading up to the Door of Time in OOR, minus the altar where the 3 Gems go. Going past the door of time in OOT there were no steps on the inside.

I do like your idea about the area with the statue becoming "displaced" and becoming the Temple of Light/Sacred Realm though.

Also that reminds me I was also expecting to see Zelda somehow create the Sacred Realm at the end to hide the Triforce there at the end of the game.... ah maybe I'm just asking too much... but at the very least they could have had a moment to properly give the land the name of Hyrule... hell they even joked about it with "Grooseland" I figured it would be certain we'd get a "What say we call this new land, Link?.... How about HYRULE, in honor of the Goddess" or something like that at the end.

Just finished the Batreaux quest, with Beedle being the last to give me gratitude crystals. Bit of a useless reward, though - shame you don't get the Hylian shield for that, as I don't know if I can be bothered with Boss Rush.