NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

More GI Details:

- Skyloft is a group of floating islands, and Link is a Skyloft resident

- Skyloft residents travel between islands through the use of birds

- Link befriends a rare breed of this bird early in the game, via a special ceremony

- Link and Zelda are out flying on their birds when they encounter a tornado

- this tornado sucks up Zelda

- spend the rest of the game finding Zelda using a powerful weapon that eventually becomes the Master Sword

- Forest Temple is Skyward Sword's first dungeon

- Fire Temple is the second dungeon

- Eldin Volcano is where the a race of Mogma live

- Mogma are muscular creatures that have unique hair styles, and only pop their upper body above the ground to talk

- The Mogma warn link about a group of shady 'guys in red' as he heads deeper into the volcano

- Fi fills the role of Navi this time around

- Fi makes a loud beeping noise to let you know of a point of interest

- Fi is a female spirit who inhabits the Skyward Sword

- this Skyward Sword has the power of dowsing

- to use the dowsing ability, you hold the sword out in front of you and the game goes into first person

- the sword makes a noise when pointed in the direction you need to go

- use this ability to find keys, hearts and even Zelda herself

- the sword tells you that Zelda is indeed in the Fire Temple

- no compass in this version of the game, as it's replaced by the dowsing ability

- dungeon maps automatically fill in treasure and boss locations

- developers are treating the overworld as a big dungeon itself

- between dungeon segments now feature combat and puzzle solving that would normally be in dungeons

- seal-like enemy called a 'Pyrup' hides beneaths rocks and inside walls

- the Pyrup will climb into walls and spout fire that blocks you

- depending on how you hold the Wiimote, you can perform an overhead bomb, or roll one

- you can put spin on bombs as well by twisting your wrist

- throw the bombs into the cracks to blow up Pyrups

- some enemies require bomb tosses to destroy

- orange slime monsters split into smaller enemies when you hit them

- these smaller bits grow in size if you don't destroy them quickly enough

- some Pyrups drop Eldin Ore

- slimes may drop collectible goo

- items grow more powerful as you continue on by upgrading them

- upgrade system is still being worked on

- example of how it might work: collect materials and rupees to upgrade a slingshot to utilize a spread shot

- every item has multiple levels of upgrade

- unclear if you choose upgrade paths, have to upgrade items to progress or have the ability to use all upgrades

- the Game Informer dev that played the game was playing for over an hour and still hadn't reached the dungeon

- statues are scattered about dungeons and the overworld

- statues are save points and portals to the world above the clouds

- Skyloft's map resembles that of Wind Waker

- bird flight is much faster than boat speed in Wind Waker

- you'll come across enemies and tornados while flying

- Bomb Bag returns, which allows you to store bomb flowers

- use the Digging Mitts to find rupees, hearts and other secrets

- Whip can grab onto certain elements of the environment, and also stun enemies

- gain a new musical item that uses the MotionPlus to play

- no worries about controlling wind patterns while flying

- beams of light shoot up from the clouds to indicate locations

- green beam above the forest, red beam above the volcano

- set your own blue beacon to guide yourself during flight

- treasure hunting system

- while on ground, find hidden rune-encrusted boxes

- raise your sword to build up power and slash the boxes to teleport them to the clouds

- this unlocks treasure chests above the clouds

- chests are glowing points on your map

- Link can jump off his bird above any island or beacon

- control the fall by moving the Wiimote and then pressing B for your parachute

- if you overshoot your target, your bird will swoop in and save you

- return to Skyloft at most points during the game

- you're only required to return to Skyloft between dungeons and at certain plot points

- use your dowsing mechanic to find pieces of a key to unlock a door to the Fire Temple

- grab a refreshing fruit to refill your stamina meter, or let it slowly refill on its own

- if it empties all the way you'll be immobilized for a few seconds

- dash up steep hills

- dash into a wall to climb up a short distance

- climbing puzzles have you figuring out where to go so you can rest and climb more, or find a spot to eat a fruit and continue on

- run up a hill while bokoblins throw bounders from above

- you have to use certain types of swings to take out this enemy, and when you do they'll hit the hill below and roll down to the bottom before they disappear

- Bokoblins will also stomp on your hands when you're climbing up ledges and swing at you with their maces

- some Bokoblins have horns that allow them to call in reinforcements

- some Bokoblins hide in wooden towers that you have to blow up with bombs

- Aonuma credits director Hidemaro Fujibayashi for these new additions

"Mr. Kondo did something interesting with the arrangement. He requested that when we record it with the orchestra, there must be a bugle that sounds as if it's coming from off in the distance. When you hear that sound in the prologue, what sounds almost like a military bugle, it adds this great feeling to it." - Wakai

Speaking about Skyward Sword's main theme song being Zelda's lullaby in reverse.

"Sound director Hajime Wakai actually created that. He did it secretly and didn't let me know. It wasn't just a matter of them being silly or playing around but really looking at what they can do with the music that would draw on the rich musical history of the series but still offer something new.

The main theme is called 'The Goddess' Song.' There is an intentional connection between the Goddess and Zelda, so we wanted those two songs to relate to one another."

"A number of people working on Zelda now are people that grew up playing Zelda. From their perspective, they're looking at it as, 'What are some of the things that failed to be helpful in getting through the game?' They're stripping that out and streamlining."

"We've made so many games now that we can't help but think about how those games connect to one another. However, that consideration comes late in the development process. When we create a new game, we don't start with a preset notion of what the story is going to be or how it's going to flow. We start by focusing in on what the core gameplay element is going to be and then develop from that.

There is a document on my computer that has a stamp on it that says 'Top Secret.' I actually haven't even shown it to many of the staff members. One of the special privileges of being the producer of the series is that I have the right as we're finalizing the game's story to then decide what fits in.

People start to focus in on the storyline and gapes in the timeline. This is a backward way of creating a game."

"We've been talking a lot about how we're trying to make this Zelda game feel new and different, but there will come a point in the game where you'll still get that final feeling that this is still a Zelda game."

"Some of the fun we had back then was lost in the creation of later games. The problem is that when you do something once in a game like Ocarina of Time, when you make the next game it becomes expected that all of that is there. You end up spending a lot of time creating all these elements of the game just to meet expectations. (My goal with Skyward Sword is to) take the franchise into new places." - Eiji Aonuma

Some music that sounds like it from Silent Hill does bring alot of changes to this game. :o

Edited by Dante

Info from 3DSC:

"Did Mr. Miyamoto just announce a second play-through and boss challenge mode for Skyward Sword? Awesome! #3DSconf2011"

"Mr. Miyamoto says Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword could have 50-100 hours of gameplay, one of Nintendo's largest projects EVER! #3DSconf2011"

New screenshots

Weird looking shield design in one of the screens.

The retrospective video + new trailer footage (new female character)

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

So the pre-rendered skydiving video from the conference... could that be the opening to the game, with the SS logo flashing up at the end? Can't imagine they'd go to all that trouble making a gorgeous video like that and then not use it in the game.

So the pre-rendered skydiving video from the conference... could that be the opening to the game, with the SS logo flashing up at the end? Can't imagine they'd go to all that trouble making a gorgeous video like that and then not use it in the game.

Yeah, definitely. Someone mentioned the game contains over "100 minutes of cutscenes" - could they also be pre-rendered videos such as this? That'd be lovely :)

In other news, this works surprisingly well.

Edited by LostOverThere

My only concern about this game is the possibility that the areas on land aren't all connected to each other and instead are separate and only accessible by 'air'. Sort of like how everywhere was disconnected in Wind Waker and in particular Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. It worked well for Wind Waker but not so the latter two IMO.

My only concern about this game is the possibility that the areas on land aren't all connected to each other and instead are separate and only accessible by 'air'. Sort of like how everywhere was disconnected in Wind Waker and in particular Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. It worked well for Wind Waker but not so the latter two IMO.

I agree. It worked well for Wind Waker because you could sail up to an island, get out of the boat, run around the island and then get back into the boat without any jarring transitions. What might count against Skyward Sword is if the areas that you can access from the sky are completely isolated from areas you can access on the ground.

Still, I'm very hyped. After years of putting this to the back of my mind, I can't believe it's finally time for another console Zelda. :)

Now that you mention it, I'm expecting it to be the intro before the start screen. And I hope it stays the only prerendered video in the whole game. ;)

I could put up with some of the cutscenes being pre-rendered like that as well :D If that's the case they would only be ones that don't involve Link and the environment he's in at that moment. The ones that have a tendancy to start: 'Long ago.....' etc

GOOSEBUMPS ALL OVER!

I am so unbelievably hyped for this game AND its music!

Good God, its music, .....:D

I need to pass my exams of the 1st semester, so that I can experience Skyward Sword in all its glory during the Christmas holidays.

I'm going to cry now.

IT'S BEEN AT LEAST 5 YEARS!

Nintendo Power October issue info:

Nintendo Power magazine scans.

- Ghirahim seeks to revive his master.

- The headmaster of the Knight Academy Link goes to is named Gaepora.

- Gaepora is Zelda's father.

- Gaepora laugh like this "Hoo hoo hoo", which seems Owl like.

- Zelda wakes up Link one morning to show him her dress for the Bird Riders ceremony.

- Noticing how lazy Link is about his flying training, Zelda pushes him off the edge of Skyloft.

- During the "date" after the competition, Zelda is trying to tell something to Link she's been meaning to tell him for a long time, but is interrupted by a tornado.

- Link has premonitions of a black creature that shallows Zelda.

- During the attack of said tornado, Link is saved by his bird, which are called Loftwings.

- Fi appears in Skyloft after the attack and Link chases her all around Skyloft to the Goddess Statue.

- Fi was created by the Goddess to guide Link.

- The Sheikhas Stones are back has the game's hint system.

- The Eldin Volcano's dungeon is NOT the Fire Temple, it's the EARTH Temple.

- The bullies are named Groose, Cawlin and Stritch. Groose, the red-haired one, has a big crush on Zelda.

- Other characters includes Pipit, a senior student and bird expert. And Fledge, a nice guy but kind of a wimp.

- Link's sword is referred to has the Goddess Sword and appears to be its official name. It is no longer called the Skyward Sword. Link gains the Goddess Sword before getting his green tunic.

- The Earth Temple's boss full name is: "Pyroclastic Fiend Spaldera".

- Night/Day transition does not occur in real-time. Link must go to bed and choose to get up at night or at day.

- Monster appear during the night. Cats become aggressive. The cats are apparently the freakiest enemies you'll encounter.

- The HUD can be customized. Standard, Light and Pro. Standard shows the full controller overlay and button functions, Light only the buttons and Pro is almost completely clean.

- The only way to save your game is with the birds statues. They are pretty much everywhere, including mid-dungeon and right before boss rooms. From the Sky you can return to any activated statue.

- Almost everything in the environment can be interacted with.

- The Sword Beam is called a Skyward Strike.

- Skyloft is said to be gigantic.

Nothing really spoils the game in some parts of the info ie the game has a new night/day system and three different types of customized styles for the hud. :)

Edited by Dante

Fuck me this game looks amazing. Love all the vibrant colours!

That new trailer is awesome. The bit around 0:45 where Link is running up into a tree was particularly impressive looking. Love the marketplace bit near the end too.

Edited by Ronnie

Havn't seen this posted yet but got this from Eurogamer by our very own Tom Philips:

Gamers will be able to tone down Zelda: Skyward Sword's obtrusive HUD in the game's full release.

The final version will include three HUD settings - Standard, Light and Pro, reports IGN.

Standard is the bloated HUD version used by Nintendo in previous screenshots. It dumps a replica of the entire Wii remote on-screen, with each control labelled.

Light will rid you of the remote graphic, but the buttons remain.

Pro is your option if you want to clear the screen of clutter completely. It just leaves health, shield strength, rupees and stamina amounts in the upper left corner of the screen.

The opening act of the game is a control tutorial that has you rescuing Zelda's lost pet Mia.

Skyward Sword moves closer to providing dialogue for silent protagonist Link than ever before. Players are able to choose different ways of responding to direct interaction with other players, according to GamesRadar.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-30-multiple-huds-for-zelda-skyward-sword

I didn't know about the dialogue choices, pretty cool.

zeldadialog.png

;)

Ah, the Paper Mario formula...

Only with Paper Mario you can actually reach the GAME OVER screen if you refuse an offer too much:laughing:

Nearly 100 hours of gameplay= Awesome

Upgrade system= Awesome

Controls (if they work, which I'm certain they will)= Awesome

Graphics= Doesen't look like a painting like Nintendo claimed they wanted it to. Not too happy about cel shading (why Nintendo use cel shading on Zelda, but not in any Mario or Kirby games just seems insane to me).

Sounds= Not even close to what I'm expecting from a Nintendo flagship in2011.