NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The only thing I'm not liking the idea of in this is the shake of the nunchuk to raise your shield. I thought that Twilight Princess had it right in that you automatically block when you "lock-on" to your enemy.

Well looking in the video above, the shield still comes up when you lock on. The skeleton was just knocking it out of the way.

No, it looks like the shield only comes up when you shake the nunchuck, and you have to decide if you're going to attack or block.

Did anyone else notice the harpe in Zelda's hands? Isn't that the one, Sheik had?

In the 20 minute gameplay video it was hinted that there would be an instrument in Skyward Sword. Great news, it really adds something to Zelda games. Just hope it's more Ocarina and Spirit Pipes than Wind Waker and err, howling.

In the 20 minute gameplay video it was hinted that there would be an instrument in Skyward Sword. Great news, it really adds something to Zelda games. Just hope it's more Ocarina and Spirit Pipes than Wind Waker and err, howling.

As long as you won't have to turn the bloody wind every time you go somewhere... ;)

One of the early trailers revealed the harp, looks like it belongs to Zelda and seeing as it's set before OoT it's likely to be the same Harp that Sheik ends up using.

assetslibrary.nintendo.co.uk

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 17/Jun/2011

Kid Icarus Uprising Summer/2011

Solatorobo 1/Jul/2011

Fortune Street Aug/2011

Super Mario Aug/2011

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Aug/2011

Kirby Wii Sep/2011

Luigi's Mansion 2 Q1/2012

okd6xz.jpg

Edited by Dante

I really hope this game is getting an August release, that would be freakin' amazing. This and Xenoblade is all I want at the moment.

Edited by Detchibe

@ Detchibe

Awesome avatar, simply awesome!

Got to love that cocky smile of his:laughing::awesome:

prob means between aug and christmas,

some other good suprises in there too like sept for kirby , wheres those elusive rpgs nintendo :(

@ Detchibe

Awesome avatar, simply awesome!

Got to love that cocky smile of his:laughing::awesome:

Ha ha, thanks, it had to be done.

That avatar is so good...

As for SS, I highly doubt this will come out in August. Not only does it miss the big holiday season, it's also under 2 months away! Not even Nintendo plays things that close to their chest.

Miyamoto on Zelda:

The other thing that we did with the Zelda series is we intend to create the game in way that the player has a tremendous amount of freedom in terms of the things that they’re able to do. As they explore the world and discover things and try to play the game in different ways, there are little thing sprinkled throughout the world that will reward them for that. I do think that the notion of following a story perhaps pushes people towards that normal progression of the game. What I’ll say about Skyward Sword is that there’s a tremendous amount of places you can go and things you can do in that game. It’s very open world, and I would encourage everyone to go and explore every nook and cranny of that game as well.

The name Ghirahim has interesting meanings;

1. Ghirath/Ghirth - A hindu kshatriya caste that were often light-skinned and preferred worshiping Nagas (snake deities) and Shiva.

2. Hira - Feminine sanskrit name meaning "diamond."

3. Ghira - middeastern term for protective jealously; often associated with romantic jealousy

Fanart:

02rugc.jpg

urNMX.jpg

wBDtz.jpg

HKJAU.jpg

-4u1o.jpg

7455fc7637268415957daa00f7d29caf.jpg

From the Iwata Ask of Ocarina of Time 3D:

- will feature orchestrated music as well as music created with folk instruments

- there's a secret instrument that plays a big part in Skyward Sword

- sound director is Hajime Wakai

- core sound staff is from the Software Development Department at the main office

- Yokota-san and one other person from Tokyo are involved

- Yokota focuses in on the orchestra elements

- Kondo's songs didn't come into play until the last moment

- Kondo pulled an all-nighter to finish up his content

- Miyamoto believes orchestrated music fits better with Zelda than Mario

- Skyward Sword features updated orchestrated versions of some previous Legend of Zelda songs

- One of the characteristics of the music of The Legend of Zelda series is the background music with folk instruments. So not only the regular orchestral instruments, but we also recorded some folk instruments live.

- Yokota has been pushing for Zelda orchestra live events since he joined the company

- He was turned down multiple times, but that all changed with the series' 25th anniversary

- Yokota already had tons of songs he wanted to see played live

Have to say that all sounds AWESOME.

Big fan of musical gameplay in Zelda games. TP was the poorer without it (wolf howling apart). I was pleased with the return to form in Spirit Tracks.

Folk instruments remind me of the Wind Waker soundtrack which was fantastic IMO

I don't think it has been posted before, but there is some neat information from an interview with Eiji Aonuma on 1up:

• In this game, Zelda starts out as a childhood friend of Link's -- and not royalty. "She's not a princess this time," Aonuma said, "which is something I'll pretty much have to put forth right now in order to talk about this title. She's a childhood friend, but she goes away in the midst of the game and it's Link's job to search for her."

• The starting plot unfolds quite a bit differently from other Zeldas. "This game's plot is something like a school drama, you could say," Aonuma noted with a laugh. "The flying sequence at the E3 demo is Link competing against his classmates. One of them looks kind of a like a bad guy, as you saw, and he shows up in other ways in the game too, since he has a major thing for Zelda."

• Despite this, though, the game progresses in a somewhat similar fashion to a previous Zelda title. "The game starts in Skyloft, this city that's floating in the air, and you'll come back to this town multiple times," Aonuma said. "Things are always proceeding along in town, and in that respect it's very much like Majora's Mask. Like with Majora, there are a lot of game events involving the townspeople that get intertwined with the main story. Link, Zelda and their other friends all go to the same boarding school, and you've got teachers and a principal as well. It's a bit of a different setting from previous Zeldas."

• Aonuma's team is making a deliberate effort to give Link new items -- like the boomerang-beetle in the E3 demo -- early on in Skyward Sword. "With previous Zeldas," he said, "the common pattern was that the really neat items wouldn't show up until later on in the game. You need to have the basic item set or it wouldn't be Zelda, so the new items tended to get shunted to the latter part of the game. [shigeru] Miyamoto said that had to change, like 'This is neat, let's bring it out from the start.' So a lot of neat new items will show up pretty early on."

• Is Skyloft the entire 'world' in this game? "Yes, it's only the people in Skyloft," Aonuma responded. "Nobody on there thinks anything of it, though, because living in Skyloft and flying around on birds is normal to them. They don't have any awareness of there being a mainland beneath the clouds and so forth -- that gets expanded upon once Zelda goes missing, and you get access to the areas under the clouds."

• Does everyone in Skyloft have their own personal avian transport? "It's the custom for each person to have one bird. Link has a red one, and it's actually a special and very rare breed of bird -- which is something that makes him get picked on, like 'Why do you get this fancy bird and we don't?!' But it turns out that you need that red bird in order to access the mainland. So the hand of fate gets involved here, like it always does in Zelda games sooner or later."

• Ghiraham, the enemy Link fought in the E3 demo's boss battle, is definitely going to be an important character in Skyward Sword. "The demo shows when you first meet him, and plainly he's looking down at Link, stopping his sword with his fingers and so forth," Aonuma noted. "In terms of story image he's kind of like Dark Link [from Ocarina of Time]; he sees right through Link's moves in battle. You can sort of swing your sword wildly and still hold your own against a lot of foes, but there's no way you can beat Ghiraham like that. You need to keep your distance and watch his moves, and it's something you'll need to change your strategy for. I think he's a pretty good change of pace as bosses go, and he'll change gradually throughout the game."

• Will Ganon show up? "This game talks about the birth of the Master Sword, and it touches on why Ganondorf showed up. If you play it, I think you'll get some understanding on that. It connects to Ocarina, so if you play Ocarina of Time 3D and move on to this game, I think you'll catch on to a lot of things."

• How's development going along? "The whole game is complete, and we're fine-tuning the balance right now. We were going to have it wholly done by around E3, but there's so much volume to it, neither I nor Miyamoto have gotten to fully play out every aspect. The non-English localizations are proceeding along now, and we're trying to make this a simultaneous worldwide release. You have to put Zelda all out at once or else the story's going to get spoiled -- although, really, there's a ton to enjoy here even if you know a little about the story beforehand."

I've bolded some of the more interesting things. The beginning of the story sounds great. This kind of early rivalry made half the appeal of Harry Potter. I can imagine it's going to be fantastic setup for the story in Skyward Sword.

The items part also sounds great. It was really one of my main complaints with Twilight princess. This way, We'll likely get much more use out of new items. And with items as versatile as the whip and the beetle, this could make for some fantastic overworld puzzles. ^^

Edited by Burny

With the game only 4-5-6 months away it's a lot easier to avoid spoilers for this game so I only read the first bullet point...

I'm very happy to read that Zelda isn't royalty in this game, it makes sense if this is an 'origin' story, and it'll make a nice change from the norm

Really excited about this. Twilight Princess, although good, was clearly made to make OoT fans happy. This looks and feels fresh already. :)