NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Not gonna watch! I loved the little I allowed myself to watch/glance occasionally at in the press conference... really looking forward to just playing it now! :D

The game still doesn't excite me. I'll buy it, I'll play it, but the trailers are not creating any of the sort of hype the TP trailers did.

I love what I see in the trailer. I just don't particularly like the music - as it is the reversed Zelda's lullaby again.

So long, as not the whole soundtrack consist of this, it ought to be great though.

Yeah I wish they'd stop using this reversed music, doesn't sound great at all. Love the flying theme, and I'm a big fan of these screenshots in particular:

49494434.jpg

04.jpg

06.jpg

Looks like they've tweeked and polised the HUD, thankfully.

03.jpg

40305672.jpg

Unless it's just depth of field or low res quality of the shot, the end of the tunnel in the last screenshot looks very reminiscent of the impressionist painting style Nintendo talked about when SS was first announced.

Edited by Ronnie

They're still using that effect. You can also observe it in the flying shot on the clouds in the distant.

The live demo on GT was rather interesting. While the game looked great, some little nuggets of information given out piqued my interest a little more. I'll tag for those that don't want to know much about the game, such as you Retro_Link, but they're more little mechanic changes that should please people.

Firstly, the guy said that you'll return to dungeons you've previously been to. The story of the game will dictate this and it sounds like things will be changed up for when you have to return.

Secondly, he said that the process of getting to or getting into dungeons has changed, but didn't elaborate on this. Still, tantalising nonetheless.

And thirdly, he said that weapons are upgradeable. An example used was things like acorns and such that you find can be used to upgrade your weapons throughout the game and that there'll be more items like this throughout the world presumably going off of this.

Only small things, and I perhaps missed more because I was trying to do other things at the same time, but it does seem that they are changing up the formula enough, just that they haven't really shown this yet.

Blonde girl in the trailer looks a lot like Zelda to me.

Great deductive reasoning that. ;)

i absaloutely love the music. it has a real epic feel to it.

im getting a idea that the girl is swallowed by a monster / captured and link has to venture to the unknown world below and take on the brave adventure of getting her back.. epic.

Thought: if this takes place before OOT and Ganondorf is a kid in it then this Link must be the Ocarina of Time Links Father, and maybe he is Killed by Ganondorf when he is fully grown but before he does he leaves a Hylian baby behind, thus starting the story of Ocarina of Time

i absaloutely love the music. it has a real epic feel to it.

im getting a idea that the girl is swallowed by a monster / captured and link has to venture to the unknown world below and take on the brave adventure of getting her back.. epic.

Be careful not to hurry that love, Phil. You just have to wait.

It's a game of give and take.

I know it's been suggested before but now we've got some official art.

tumblr_lmg19tLVsn1qfjbtfo1_500.jpg250px-Vaati.png

The resemblance is far more than just passing. Identical hair, colour scheme, skin-tone, interest in ... jewelry. Plus SS has been confirmed as taking place at the beginning of the "Timeline" which is also where the Minish Cap game takes place (another game to feature Sky cities).

Opinions? I'm thinking yes... especially as Ganon is possibly not in it.

I LOVE the art style of these official shots. Are there any more? At a higher res?

Yep, pretty much confirms the baddie as Vaati. Good move I reckon, ties in with Zelda chronology a bit and gives us a break from Ganondorf.

edit: sorry forgot the spoiler tags

Edited by Ronnie

The girl in the trailer looks awful. Something about her really doesn't look right to me. Not saying it's a deal breaker or anything, I just really think the character model looks bad.

I don't think it's Zelda, she's probably Link's sister or something.

[edit] actually looking again it could well be Zelda. I think it's the hair that's bugging me, she looks like a playmobil figure.

A Link to the Future

One of the most storied franchises in history soars to new heights. The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword shakes up the tried-and-true adventure game formula and marks a turning point for the franchise. The introduction of full motion controls enabled by Wii MotionPlus™ technology synchronizes player movements with Link's actions while offering the most intuitive play control of any game in the series to date.

FEATURES:

•The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword boasts the most realistic sword combat of any game to date, turning every encounter into a challenge of both brains and brawn. Wii MotionPlus technology accurately translates the angle of every sword slice, effectively putting Link's blade in the player's hand. Analyzing enemy attack and defense tendencies and counteracting with precise swings of the sword provide a satisfying experience that blends puzzle-solving with a new and distinctly unique combat system.

•Explore a massive, multilayered world that seamlessly blends soaring exploration in a sea of clouds with intense ground-based adventuring that blurs the line between the main world and traditional Zelda dungeons. Link™ soars through the skies on the back of a noble bird and dives beneath the clouds to the continent below in an epic quest that lays the foundation for the events in the critically acclaimed The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

•Prepare for intense puzzle-solving as only The Legend of Zelda games can deliver. Exploration of the forests, volcanoes and deserts requires players to think on their feet as they solve puzzles, overcome obstacles and escape deadly traps. Once they find their way to each dungeon, they are confronted by even more puzzles guarded by fiendish enemies.

•The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword redefines the traditional Zelda framework and introduces an arsenal of items, upgrades and rewards unlike any game in the franchise to date. The adventure guides players into, out of and back to dungeons and areas they've already completed. Along the way, Link gathers a massive inventory of peculiar items and resources that can be used to upgrade many of his weapons and equipment.

Seems like the 4chan rumors may be true after all :heh:

I know it's been suggested before but now we've got some official art.

tumblr_lmg19tLVsn1qfjbtfo1_500.jpg250px-Vaati.png

The resemblance is far more than just passing. Identical hair, colour scheme, skin-tone, interest in ... jewelry. Plus SS has been confirmed as taking place at the beginning of the "Timeline" which is also where the Minish Cap game takes place (another game to feature Sky cities).

Opinions? I'm thinking yes... especially as Ganon is possibly not in it.

Well, he's not called Vaati, it's been confirmed that much thanks to some gameplay footage from Nintendo's Booth. In one of the demos where you fight him, he's carrying the name Lord Ghirahim (or rather Demon Lord Ghirahim).

Trailer and everything looks fantastic and all but it's Zelda so anything else would be a surprise.

What annoyed me though was how Link looked. I know it sounds stupid but I really don't like his face. It's quite similar to TP Link's and the way he looked actually alienated me from the character. Why can't they go back to the style of OOT Link (particularly in Smash Bros Melee)?