NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

It will have been in development for 4 years if it comes out Q4 this year. The same as twilight princess. It is true that we got TP before Japan as well.

I'm not sure what to think about the releases of these three games. If they're any closer then 1 month between each, then I'd get worried of one being over shadowed by the other, but that doesn't seem like Nintendo.

I hope we get something new shown at E3 if all these games are coming in 2010, because otherwise 2011 might look quite bland on the first party front.

The only thing that was missing from TP was difficult and side quests, I think. Something that amazed me was how fun wolf link was to play as. When I first found about it, I thought it'd be something like being forced to play those tails and knucles levels in Sonic Adventure 2 (odd analogy, I know), but it was great.

Nintendo have the casuals in the bag; they need to get the gamer gamers in (you know, the nobs on the OTHER BOADS ;) ); releasing Mario Galaxy 2 early summer, Metroid early autumn and Zelda at Xmas would be awesome for everyone involved. They're not even making Metroid themselves, Galaxy 2 already has its engine... Nintendo has loda of development companies. More than doable for me!!! Can't wait!!

You're truly a gamer after me own heart:grin:

Has anyone here played Wii Sports Resort? It seems pretty clear one of the purposes for it was to test how the motion plus could be adapted to other first party games.

In Zelda Wii's case, I wouldn't be surprised if the swordplay in Wii Sports Resort (which is EXCELLENT) is ported straight over. Link in 1st person (or pseudo 1st person like in WSR) swordplay is all but guaranteed. Should be great as the implementation already works pretty much perfectly in Wii Sports.

Also, I can't help but wonder about the flying, which I think is one of the best parts of the game, the draw distances and freedom to go anywhere reminded me so much of Wind Waker. If Aonuma's hint about flying being the mechanism for travel in Zelda Wii is accurate, I really wouldn't be surprised to see Link use some sort of primitive plane to get around. I originally agreed with a couple of 'Kid Icarus Link' suggestions, but now I really think a plane is more likely, literally flying wherever you want to go, with a gameplay mechanic that isn't as linear and predictable as the usual Zelda formula of 1. find way into temple 2. find item in temple 3. defeat boss with item

Anyway, just a few musings. Motion plus will be playing a huge part in Zelda Wii, that's for sure.

Maybe it's still third person, but when you hold Z it goes into Link for all the weapon/item stuff - sword, bomerang, bow and arrow etc WOuld be awesome doing archery as Link and the camera go inside him. The only problem is speed, not being able to fire arrow after arrow...but I guess the design will have to cater for that, will be an incredible experience. Imagine doing what you down in SHOWDOWN on Hyrule field....

Archery, canoeing, flying, swordsplay, and most of the others can be adapted to minigames

Has anyone here played Wii Sports Resort? It seems pretty clear one of the purposes for it was to test how the motion plus could be adapted to other first party games.

In Zelda Wii's case, I wouldn't be surprised if the swordplay in Wii Sports Resort (which is EXCELLENT) is ported straight over. Link in 1st person (or pseudo 1st person like in WSR) swordplay is all but guaranteed. Should be great as the implementation already works pretty much perfectly in Wii Sports.

Also, I can't help but wonder about the flying, which I think is one of the best parts of the game, the draw distances and freedom to go anywhere reminded me so much of Wind Waker. If Aonuma's hint about flying being the mechanism for travel in Zelda Wii is accurate, I really wouldn't be surprised to see Link use some sort of primitive plane to get around. I originally agreed with a couple of 'Kid Icarus Link' suggestions, but now I really think a plane is more likely, literally flying wherever you want to go, with a gameplay mechanic that isn't as linear and predictable as the usual Zelda formula of 1. find way into temple 2. find item in temple 3. defeat boss with item

Anyway, just a few musings. Motion plus will be playing a huge part in Zelda Wii, that's for sure.

The only thing that concerns me about flying is that its fine if it acts like Epona in OoT; I really dislike how the modes of transport in ST/PH mean there is virtually NO overworld and even Wind Waker would have benefited from an extra big town/island. Ideally, I'd like to see a huge land which had an accompanied Ocean, from which you could sail from small island to small island. Flying would be a great; I could see them implementing it well aslong as there is a good overworld intact. What I love about ALLTP and it's overworld is that it is essentially it's own dungeon (you can get your own items there such as the flippers, ice rod etc) and even the Skull Woods dungeon used the overworld as part of the dungeon and thus had numerous entrances. Loved it.

Having to press the d-pad every five seconds to centre your sword is excellent? Not in my book. Having played Wii Sports Resort, swordplay is my biggest concern about Zelda at the moment..

Having to press the d-pad every five seconds to centre your sword is excellent? Not in my book. Having played Wii Sports Resort, swordplay is my biggest concern about Zelda at the moment..

Exactly! and I imagine they'll be using the D-Pad for something else than that.....

Perhaps wii motion plus square ?

The sword fighting in Resort is definately not how I'd want a Zelda game to be....Looks like it'd be first person anyway as it'd stop the whole 'Link having limbs' dilemma making things look weird.

Red Steel 2 is probably a better sword fighting title for Nintendo to draw inspiration from, rather than what was done in WSR. See how RS2 turns out and build from there.

Funny, I never had to press the d-pad, and I've been playing it a fair while.

Maybe 1st person swordplay won't be for every enemy Link comes across, but you can put money on Nintendo introducing that mechanic somehow, for larger baddies or subbosses for instance. It seems pretty obvious that's what they'll go for. And it'll be implemented even better than in WSR.

I'm surprised, I think the swordplay is incredible...bizarre... And I agree with Ronnie, I've never had to press down on the DPad. Because Zelda will be doing so much, the game will hide all the calibration anyway.

Thats assuming the swordplay is 1:1, personally, I'd much rather have the sword do something similar to the movement you made in real life, but 1:1 sword fights might get a little boring or tedious after a while. Although, I fully trust Zelda Team to make it work regardless.

I've been led to believe that the sword is a character (the silver female with the pointy head, depicted in the painting shown at E3) that will float alongside Link, thus negating the need to jump to First Person for 1:1 handling.

Well... no... I don't think that will be true. The sword may have some sort of "spirit form" so to speak but they're still going to put the sword back in Link's hand for fighting. You can take a lot of things out of Zelda games and still call it Zelda, including Zelda herself. But not the sword.

Perhaps that's what Miyamoto meant when saying that Link wasn't holding a sword. Perhaps he won't hold anything.....He'll just have a magic touch:)

See, something like that could work really well, play incredibly smoothly and most importantly, feel fun...

... But we can bet that such a small thing like removing a physical sword in the form that we traditionally expect from a Zelda game would cause absolute uproar from - let's be honest - freaks.

They wouldn't introduce motion plus controls and swordplay, and then not give Link an actual sword to use. That would be retarded, and cause uproar by a fair number more than just the 'freaks'.

They wouldn't introduce motion plus controls and swordplay, and then not give Link an actual sword to use. That would be retarded, and cause uproar by a fair number more than just the 'freaks'.

But if it felt good to play...?

Still retarded?

But if it felt good to play...?

Still retarded?

Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to not take advantage of its new hardware in it's biggest gaming franchise, especially since it would fit in perfectly.

Edited by Ronnie

I don't think it's worth running around in circles based on pure speculation at this early point. I'll crawl back into my hole...